Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Is there a guide to how much you should feed a 3-month old? I'm trying to make sure she gets at least 24 oz of formula or breast milk a day but I have no way of making sure it happens.
My wife is VERY anti-formula, which sucks because baby girl doesn't do boobs to well during the day but will suck down a bottle of anything warm. My wife pumps, but I don't know how we're going to deal with increased demand as the baby gets older since her supply hasn't been growing much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

DaveSauce posted:

I mean other than "welcome to toddlerdome" is there something we should be doing? Or are we just in survival mode for a while?

Have you considered building a Toddlerdome and wrestling your child for the prize? Children are small and easy to pin.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Does anyone have any advice on transitioning from a Merlin sleep suit to a sleep sack? Our little girl slept 90 mins before waking all the way up, when usually she can make it five to six hours.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's always another phase.

One day they move out. Or you die.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Our 8 month old was moved into her own room recently and her sleep has just gone to complete poo poo. I don't think my wife or I have gotten more than 3-4 hours sleep a night since we did, when before we could reliably do 5-6. Help.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Koivunen posted:

Does the baby make a clicking noise with their tongue while eating? That can be a sign that letdown is coming too fast and they’re losing suction and swallowing air. Trying to feed them as upright as possible or in a side lying position with mom and baby on their sides can help, or releasing the latch and letting the spray go into a towel or a haakaa, then relatching can help too. If there is a lactation consultant you could see, they can take a look at the latch and see if there are any problems. Many hospitals offer lactation support for free.

Regarding being judgy, don’t feel bad about it. As a parent you’re kind of always on the lookout for kids even if they aren’t yours. I get judgy of my best friend’s parenting sometimes. She’s got a 19 month old boy who is absolutely wild and she doesn’t do anything to corral him or stop the behaviors. We went out to eat once and he was walking on the table and standing in the high chair because she lets him do it at home, and he fell head first on to the hardwood floor. The entire restaurant got really quiet and were staring as he screamed bloody murder, but she just sat there, didn’t take him outside or anything, while he screamed. Her rationale is that kids cry, and people should deal with it. He’s constantly screaming, too. Happy or sad or anything, it’s screaming. She’s been kicked out of three places now because of his screaming, but she hasn’t done anything to try to teach soft/indoor voices yet, or teach what quiet is. I love her, and I love her kid, but doing stuff in public with him present is super embarrassing. I know toddlers can be a lot to handle, and he might not grasp the idea of quiet yet, but she lets him do whatever he wants and jokes about him being a free range kid. Our hanging out now is either just the two of us, or us with the kids someplace outside where he can scream and run wild all he wants and it’s not quite so ear piercing. That turned into a venting session, sorry.

Nah that's poo poo. She just doesn't want to be the bad guy. Discipline your drat kids*
*With words and a reduction in privileges and poo poo like that. Don't hit.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
For people with sleep issues, our little one recently outgrew her Merlin Magic Sleep Suit (which we foolishly bought the next size up of because it mostly worked). So we first had to get her used to sleeping in PJs which was incredibly hard. Then we had to get her to sleep through the night. We probably should have done both at the same time, but we used a modified Ferber method where we didn't disturb her unless it had been a really long time of sitting up or crying for more than a set amount of time and now she mostly sleeps 10-11 hours and can put herself back to sleep if she hasn't soiled herself. It has made our lives much easier.

Of course now she pulls herself to standing and will be running soon.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
My little girl is 1 today.
She's perfect all other children are bad.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

A Game of Chess posted:

I really think parenting destroys some fundamental part of your brain.

Less destroys and more temporarily deactivates. Once my little one is five, I imagine I will find diapers quite gross again.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

A Game of Chess posted:

This is what I need my husband to understand ... he’s always trying to get me to go to a happy hour or hang out with friends and all I ever want is an hour where I don’t have to talk to anyone.

On another note entirely, we just added formula into her regimen at daycare because I can’t keep up with the demand. She had been taking 12 oz of milk in three bottles but had recently been waking from naps angry and hungry. I have been having to pump like two and a half hours at work every day just to make 12 oz, so 15 oz was not possible if I wanted to maintain my sanity. Yesterday we sent her with two 5 oz bottle of milk, and one 6 oz bottle of formula.

She did great and in total drank about fourteen ounces, and took the formula without any issues which I was relieved about since it was her first time having it since she was a week old and my milk hadn’t fully come in. She’s been pooping A LOT though. Four times before 4pm and then this morning she woke us up with the kind of blowout that required stripping the crib and throwing her straight in the bath. Could that be something to do with the formula? Or was it just a weird coincidence? We also recently started her with some solids but had time to do them the last 2 days. :(

Kids are bottomless food holes. Our little one was getting like 32-40 oz of formula a day before we transitioned to solids.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Insanite posted:

Anyone have any infant cold tips beside nasal aspiration, saline spray, steam, and humidifiers? My four-month-old's got his second cold ever, and it's brutal having to deal with him overnight while needing to work full-time. Dude wakes up every ten minutes. First cold was during parental leave, so that was doable if lovely.

I suspect the answer is "naw, lol," but hey.

You're probably also going through a sleep regression that isn't any fun at all. An incline will help a good deal.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

hooah posted:

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning vomit off of a microsuede sofa? 4-year-old has her first flu... My wife tried the stuff for pet messes, so we'll see how that goes, but any other ideas would be helpful.

Oxiclean or any other oxidizing cleaner might help. That's the major reactant in those pet cleaners. The acid in the vomit may have already stained it. As always check in a corner you don't mind covering up first.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BadSamaritan posted:

I kept hearing my baby talk/whine to herself in the middle of the night last night, and when I’d check the monitor she would just be sitting and starting out into her room through the crib bars. Sometimes standing.

Sweetie, I know you’re working on a ton of skills right now, but it’ll be easier to sleep if you lay down.

Our girl is pretty good at putting herself back to sleep at 14 months during the night. Now we did do a very painful sleep training over two weeks at eight months but it was absolutely worth it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
This whole TP storage has me really considering a bidet.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mocking Bird posted:

This is the funniest poo poo I've heard all day

I know I'm loving dying.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
So my 18-monther doesn't have canine teeth yet. Is this normal? She has bicuspids, the ones that are behind the canines, and has for like four months now.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

nwin posted:

Speaking of shows-what else besides cocomelon for an 18 month old? He doesn’t really like Sesame Street yet

There are two long Wiggles series on Hulu. Try it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

My 8 month old hasn't pooped all day. I think I remember hearing that 5 days isn't anything to worry about, and his cousin did 2 weeks, but was that for just newborns? when do i start panicking.

If he's breast fed, that little tyke will poop when he drat well feels like it and not before because he's absorbing EVERYTHING.
If it's formula, you got a few more days before you should start to worry.

My daughter cried a lot when she started having solid poops. Now she has enormous ones and keeps on trucking.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Try the Ferber method for sleep training. That ten days will be the worst in your life but at the end of it you will have a little one that sleeps through the night.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

nachos posted:

We did this and now our 5 month old sleeps independently and completely through the night without feeds which is a loving miracle. Except now because we aren’t allowed to help her back to sleep her naps are complete rear end and maybe 10% of them are longer than 30 minutes. And because she’s sleeping so little during the day, we have to put her to bed early at night, which causes 5:30am waking, and then another day of garbage naps.

I read everywhere that 6 months is when nap magic happens so hopefully in a few weeks it’ll sort itself out. Honestly it feels like we traded one set of problems for a slightly better set and personally I’d rather wake up 1-2 times at night if it meant longer daytime naps.

Oh yeah we didn't attempt it until we were down to one nap a day around 10 months old.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Just Offscreen posted:

Extremelty vivid dreams where you watch your child drown and can do nothing to stop it is something noone warns you about before you have kids.

I avoid this by not knowing what drowning looks like.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Renegret posted:

It's nearly 2:30AM and I haven't gone to sleep yet. My 16 mo is just chilling in my lap.

Whoever said it gets better as they get older is a loving liar.

Have you tried sleep training? It's not something they just know.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
How big is your kids rock collection? Lilly's is about 18 rocks so far. She's 19 months.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Does anyone know of a place to get reasonable child swimsuits? My little girl is in 2T and my wife and I are having trouble finding ones that aren't like 40 bucks a pop. Long sleeves and easy to get off are a big plus.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Wife has deemed these 'cute' which means that's what we'll get. Thanks!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
My little girl is 20 months old and she must be teething up a loving storm because she has never been this volatile. I love her to bits but I'm stuck watching her for a few days while her daycare is cleaned (a parent has covid). She's hardly eaten old favorites, drools like mad and has a runny nose for the first time in months. I know it's not covid because she wasn't even exposed to the kid with the sick parent at all, not even on the same playground equipment, plus no fever or cough or wheeze or anything. She chews a few things like her life depends on it and has trouble sleeping.

Anyone have any good advice for teething? Molars and canines are the suspects right now.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
gently caress you girl you told me you pooped, you know how a poop change goes I will leg pin you with both legs if I have to now quit squirming while I wipe

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

nwin posted:

I’m getting kinda scared for when these molars come in for our kid. It seems like it’s been forever since we’ve dealt with teething and I just know it’s going to blindside me and completely gently caress my sleep again.

It doesn't have to, and it probably won't. Lilly had some canines come in and she was just a bit grumpier.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Renegret posted:

I'm gonna bite that motherfucker back

my daughter kept biting friends at school. we'd get a report about once a week of an incident. Then she got bit back, and we haven't had a report since.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PerniciousKnid posted:

Congratudolences.

This is what becoming a parent feels like.
Don't get me wrong, I love being Vansanddad, but I do miss the freedom sometimes.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Take your child into the squared circle and show him who's boss.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BonoMan posted:

We're in month 16. Not a single full night's sleep yet.

Now he's in "be a thrashing rear end in a top hat all night mode."

We put him in his crib (after making sure he's eating oatmeal, a banana or a loving bottle of forumla... anything to fill his belly). He sleeps til maybe 11 or 12 pm.

He wakes and will stay away for 3 hours if you let him. So we get him and put him on the boob (which is just for comfort at this point barely any milk gettin made) and then try to co-sleep with him in our bed.

But he just thrashes and acts angry ALL loving NIGHT. Kicking and rolling and headbutting and coughing/sneezing in my goddamned face.

Finally he usually falls asleep around 6 am... JUST IN TIME FOR EVERYONE TO GET THE gently caress UP AND READY FOR SCHOOL/DAYCARE.

We are dying.

Sleep training, my god. Let the fucker cry for a week, he'll get used to it. It's the worst goddamn feeling but it'll keep everyone sane in the long run.

It might be a good idea to take a few days off to have the stamina to do it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nessa posted:

Sooo.... I had a baby on Wednesday.

So far there’s been a lot to learn, but I think it’s going well. I can function okay on little sleep and my milk has finally come in. Baby will still be getting a lot of formula as needed though.

My husband has been an absolute champion at taking care of me and the baby. I wouldn’t be faring so well without him. Baby gave me a third degree tear and I’ve been loving my donut pillow for recovery.

Congratulations and good luck! Remember you will soon be too sleep deprived to properly remember these coming days. Take pictures! Take solace in the fact that nobody, not you, not the baby, nobody, will remember any mistakes you make because of the aforementioned sleep deprivation.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

femcastra posted:

Lol.

We usually say that when our toddler hurts us it makes us sad. If she persists, we walk away or put her in her room. Ultimately it’s attention she’s after most of the time, so after a tantrum we talk it out and she calms down until next time.

I showed my teeth when my daughter decided that kicking me in the face was the way to go. It was the first time she realized I was upset.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mistaken Identity posted:

The look of transcendental contentment when they just did a diaper-bursting poo poo is something else, isn’t it?

It must've been so uncomfortable, they are so tiny and they take me sized shits.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mistaken Identity posted:

Our three month old usually poops twice each day. A huge one right after waking up and a smaller one sometime during the day.

It has now been over 36 hours since his last poop. He is gassy as hell and a cranky little poo poo. Last night he slept at most for an hour at a time and even that only if my wife cuddled him while breastfeeding him. So naturally she barely slept at all.

At that age if they are only breastfeeding they can just... stop pooping. They're absorbing everything.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

priznat posted:

Yeah my youngest loves the smell of coffee and demands I let her have a big sniff whenever I have a fresh cup. She hasn’t tried to drink it tho!

It’s very funny though. “Ahhhh, so good” with a big satisfied smile after a sniff.

I was the same way. Loved the smell of coffee as a kid, didn't drink it until college.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Oh hooray my little one just turned two and is starting to be a little brat at times. Yaaaay.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

His Divine Shadow posted:

Identical twins, one eats almost everything, likes fish and sushi even. The other only likes pasta and french fries most of the time. Though he is getting better.

Both of them like noodles, seems to be a kid friendly food.

The better eating one is still watching hours every day of medical videos in english, and repeating what they say. He's starting to talk pretty good english. "Pneumonia can cause fever, chills and fatigue" :3:

edit: He also asked me about my sleep apnea and once punched me in the gut (not very hard) and shouted "you got diabetes!".

Congratulations on your baby doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Big Taint posted:

Thread title

Thirded.