Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

babby is only 3 months so I dont have the issues with not being able to play outdoors but when we go out for our government mandated daily exercise people like to walk right up and peer at him from point blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I get that breast rejection is a thing sometimes but my 5 month old now wont even latch on the right side for my wife. Even the sight of the bare cursed titty from a distance makes him yell like Goku powering up until she puts it away. No trouble at all with the left.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I'm trying to figure out what im looking at, the picture is kind of fuzzy. Is the plastic pin snapped or melted?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my son is just shy of 2 and has a delayed milk protein allergy, supposedly a lot of young kids have it and can grow out of it. On our doctors advice we introduce a small amount of milk cooked into a snack or whatever every now and then and so far it always gives him gnarly dumps so it might just be a lifelong thing. It's lucky that milk alternatives are so common now that it's no problem at all to just use soy/oat/coconut whatever instead.

he's also sick all the time with whatever cocktail of illnesses are going around the nursery groups. Feels like he's working overtime to make up for being the boy in the bubble for the first year of his life.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

one day you too will announce to an entirely empty room that daddy needs the toilet now

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Try using a waterpik? Not quite as good as regular floss but way easier to get the kid to do it imo.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

5 days here :britain: as long as you have negative lateral flow tests on day 5 and again on the morning of day 6.

yes we do have the most deaths in europe why do you ask

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

sharkytm posted:

Roald Dahl books are great. Just gotta do the whole "separate the art from the artist thing".

He was a fantastic writer and I don't think his personal views were ever reflected in his children's books, but even until his death he was an unapologetic antisemite:

Dahl interview with New Statesman, 1983 posted:

There is a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity, maybe it’s a kind of lack of generosity towards non-Jews. I mean, there’s always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere.”

“Even a stinker like Hitler didn’t just pick on them for no reason."

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

2 year old goes down at ~7pm, it's now almost 4am and hasn't fallen asleep yet. Doesn't seem unsettled or anything, just awake and wants to play. wtf man go to sleep

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it's one of the great derail topics but imo you shouldn't slice off parts of your baby

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Dobbs_Head posted:

Re: circumcision

We decided to circumcise our son. I’m Jewish, and I felt that connecting to his cultural heritage was important.

Medically, circumcision is neutral. It carries minor surgery risks and marginally improves hygiene ease. No real reason to do it, but no real reason not to either.

IMO, the people passionately against circumcision have more than a little anti-jew / anti-muslim bigotry to their outlook and arguments. Suppressing circumcision is a classic European anti-Semitic tactic, and it’s pretty discouraging to see that come back in some regions of the EU.

people against carrying out cosmetic surgery on infants unable to make a consenting choice are all islamophobes and antisemites? :cmon:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

4 consecutive successful potty trips today, with no input from me. lord let this be it :pray:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

pro dexterity for a 2 year old. mine has a 50/50 chance of either dropping or crushing his snacks in his hand

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my kid (2.5) took to peeing on the potty no problem, but pooping is a whole other thing. he just seems totally fine with crapping his pants and demanding a change instead.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Doll House Ghost posted:

Holy hell I didn't know daycare in the US was that expensive.

I live in London and 3 days a week for my kid is £1400 / ~$1700 a month

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

they've detected a bunch of poliovirus here in london, so all kids 1 - 9 are being offered additional vaccinations as an urgent response measure

loving polio, in 2022 :(

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1557321390482759681?t=uwXq12Y7dVmJa7rUOAnTUw&s=19

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

our breastfeeding consultant was legitimately amazing. baby #1 was born with a pretty bad tongue tie and struggled to latch and this lady showed my wife a way to manually shape the breast to create a latch so he could feed, which my wife used for the few days until the tie could be cut. absolute lifesaver

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I got one of the fire kids tablets and have disney+ and bbc iplayer (uk) on it. both apps have a download function so I can fill it up with a bunch of curated media and then enable the parental lock which disables any WiFi connectivity. every now and then replace the shows with others.

Even then he's never totally unsupervised though, its mostly used for car trips.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

theres one OG Thomas episode where one of the other trains is down and struggling with confidence or anxiety or something so they abandon him in a tunnel and brick up the entrance - the end

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

a valuable lesson

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

basically a warcrime

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my kid asked me to get on the floor to play with his blocks and I lay down and fell asleep

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

going from 2 to 3 is moving into bigger house bigger car territory, on top of everything else that goes with a baby.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Brawnfire posted:

Anyone have a 5-yo-kid-friendly show/documentary about the planets in mind?

my 3 yo came home from music at nursery last week and has been on a Gustav Holst bender ever since, demanding it constantly. Mars, Bringer of War is a hell a way to start the day

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if you use an android OS then Newpipe is a youtube client that's ad free, I use it on the kids tablet as well as my phone

kecske fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 10, 2023

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

dreamworks are advertising a kids movie about a kraken

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

potty training seems to come and go in waves for us. 3 y/o has been a trooper with it and 90% of the time will take himself to use the toilet. But then there's those special times when he'll be out playing on his scooter, casually hop off and put his hands on his hips and poo poo himself without a care in the world.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

KirbyKhan posted:

I got voice message today that my 26 month old son called my wife the n-word on purpose in anger and...

:chloe:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I will never not get mad about the insistence of some people to keep poo poo like that in your house where your kids are jfc

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I have the uppababy cruz and it's been fine except the rubber on the wheels seems to erode in no time. I've replaced the set once already and it's looking like I'll need to do it once more before kiddo has outgrown it

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Hadlock posted:

Edit: I've never heard of this rubber problem before. Do you store it outside in the sun or something

nope, lives in the hallway at home and we live city center so it's only pushed around on paved surfaces and the grass at the park. the wheels were replaced free first time round, their customer service said 'shimmying(?)' was a known issue on some of the V1 types which can cause uneven wear.

I also managed to break the little plastic clip that holds it closed when stowed on day 1 so it never stayed shut unless you laid it down

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

you have to take a super wide turning circle and you feel the weight going uphill, but you get used to it pretty quick. I prefer the trailer more than the kiddo seat that attaches behind you

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

some kind of UV photosensitivity or Sun allergy?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Ya he's waking early because he's hungry as hell imo, do as other poster said and try a feed during the night

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I remember having a moment once while clearing up a code brown containment breach on my second baby at 3am where I thought "why are you here, you were past this, it was done" lol

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

nachos posted:

Things they don’t tell you about parenting a toddler vol 4: begging them to eat some of the chocolate cake and not just the frosting so they get some nutrition

a multivitamin will pick up the slack

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Tom Smykowski posted:

No shame in using the TV to catch a break. Super Simple Songs have allowed me a lot of relaxing time because sometimes goddamn.

we (very briefly!) used to take away tv as a consequence for making bad choices and let me tell you it is a powerful self-own

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

sometimes passively grazing on rejected baby food is what gets you through the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

babby 2 is teething like a shark, the numbing gel works a treat but applying it without getting your fingers flayed is impossible. so many bite marks