Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imslandar
Mar 3, 2011
Forgive me for the long post, I don't know where else to turn:

My son Mason is 10 months old today. I'm Exhausted.
The Past: 2 days old
He was born at exactly 23 weeks gestation. He weighed 1 lb 5 oz and was 11 1/2 inches long. During his first day of life, he coded twice. When they were reviving him, the compressions caused a blood vessel in his brain to rupture. The bleeding damaged the surrounding white matter, causing cerebral palsy. His CP has not manifested with any Gross motor development issues(yet), but it has damaged his visual input senses. While his eyes can see(after surgery), his brain cannot interpret the signals. He is for all intents and purposes blind. His prematurity has also left him with Chronic lung disease, Retinopathy of prematurity, and a slew of missed milestones. He had a procedure to correct a PDA. He has a Nissen.(a procedure that prevents or limits spitting up to limit aspirations) He is fed through a G-tube(every three hours, around the clock: I'm warming up a bottle now as I type) and receives most of his medications this way as well.
Recently: At a sleep study
Mason came home from the hospital at 7 1/2 months old. He is my 5th child and my girlfriends 1st. She has had almost no interest in holding him, playing with him, or doing his care since he has come home. She used to do it in the hospital all the time, and she will do it for short periods if I specifically ask her to. I am his primary caregiver, and she works full-time. I attend to all of the other household chores, as well as having joint custody of my 3 surviving children from a previous marriage. Occasionally she will cook dinner. She is a much better cook than I am. She actually said the words "I don't want to spoil him by holding him too much". Even after showing her multiple sources of information stating that holding him is good for them both, and it enhances the bonding experience, she would rather sit on the couch with her phone-trolling facebook, than pick up our son who is lying in a play pen 10 ft away. I have started to experience signs of severe depression, and have tried to make appointments to speak to someone(I had to cancel my first appointment with my Dr. when I didn't have a sitter for daughter, and I was late to see the Behavioral Health person they have on staff, because I had to change my son.(He likes to poop right after I put him in his carseat!) I don't know what to do or what to say to her. I haven't slept right in two months, and I need her to engage. I'm not expecting her to stay up all night when she has to work, but I need a break. Someone please tell me what to say or do!

modedit: Please use timg for images larger than c. 800x600.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imslandar
Mar 3, 2011

Lyz posted:

Also encourage her to get a Boba or Moby wrap, so she can strap him to her chest and still putter around the house doing things.

Mason is on oxygen, and has a monitor that displays Heartrate, Breathes per minute, and Oxygen Saturation. We have travel tanks to take him places, but just wandering around the house is pretty impossible.

To the mod: sorry about the pic size, I'll figure that out before I post any more pics.