Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What's your collective take on kids and tablets? I was reading about how researchers feel like letting little kids play with tablets prevents them from managing emotions when they are upset or bored. The tablet becomes a mental pacifier and parents end up taking the path of least resistance.

I'm sure most goons have met maladjusted adults that were incapable of dealing with being uncomfortable; picky eaters refusing to try new foods, inability to deal with conflict, anger management problems, etc. I'll bet that at least some of these adults were coddled in some way as children, and didn't seem to learn the skills needed to manage anxiety, anger, or even boredom.

But I dunno. There's always going to be hand wringing about technology and how it affects our culture. I'm not sure this is any different than kids watching television, or listening to 'rock music' or anything else people were convinced would destroy children intellectually. I doubt that in pre-Internet/television/radio times kids were these hyper focused emotionless automatons so how much would letting a little kid play educational games on a tablet really warp them?

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Ditto for going to the movies. Taking young kids to (age appropriate) movies helps model good behavior at the theater and other quiet places. We have some relatives who were afraid to take their kids to the movies because they thought it would be an ordeal. Then we'd babysit them and get to take them to the movies for the first time and they would be fine, in part because we'd have their cousins who were a few years older along too. My wife would make these little snack kits for each kid with grapes, a tiny water bottle, and a little bit of candy. And every kid old enough to safely eat popcorn without choking tended to be so preoccupied with wolfing down popcorn to be too fussy or fidgety.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think its just a natural evolution of technology. I mean, fifty years ago I'm sure kids were learning how to fiddle with radios, bake cakes or fix cars by watching their parents. I'm always impressed at how incredibly self-taught both my maternal and paternal grandfathers were, from the piano to plumbing, they had a way of figuring this stuff out. I think the only thing that really changed is that parents can get by on increasingly specialized skillsets that might narrow down what they can pass on to their kids through personal knowledge/demonstration.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

GlyphGryph posted:

that wont help when he manages to get all his injuries on his face, drat it

There has to be a way T-T
Maybe some kind of child size Hannibal lecter mask for scab picking/bitey kids? That or a lampshade collar.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That's a tough dilemma you're in because I know with us we have the best of both worlds. I wonder if peoples opinions are based on their relationships with their parents; if the grandparents are cool people it comes off as kind of rude to treat free babysitting as a huge burden. My sister in law lived close enough that both sets of grandparents helped out with childcare which was hugely helpful for her career. Conversely my brother insists on living where he does even though my dad and stepmom don't help him for poo poo (in contrast, my mom and I will drive 4 hours just to look after their kids for the weekend here and there) and he pays more in daycare than he does in rent plus his commute is some insane 3 hour ordeal but he refuses to move closer to work or family because he loves it so much in the ~country~.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I have mad respect for all those parents out there that are chill and calm when their toddlers are having a meltdown. The exhaustion of dealing with a young child 24/7 can be taxing, and to take all that in stride for the sake of not making bad habits worse takes a lot of inner strength.

It reminds me a lot of the teachers I had back in elementary/middle school. My favorite teachers were the ones that never lost their temper, no matter how hard students tried to test them. They weren't pushovers to say the least, its just that they were able to stay in control of very stressful situations. It takes a lot of self-regulation to be like this, which is why I have so much respect for the people with the self-discipline to keep this up.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Siblings can play off each other, and something my brother and cousins have said is that the 'Terrible Twos' extends to three and four and five and so on...

My niece and nephew bicker constantly and I've warned my mom that taking my niece (the older one) out for 'girls day out' is just making it worse by creating an element of favortism.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

LogisticEarth posted:

My 3.5 month old has been doing this for a couple weeks now...fun times. Of course, he also has his fair share of coos and gagas and whatnot. The little dude is getting so aware and rolling around already. I always had people tell me "it goes quick, enjoy every bit of it" and I can already see how true that is.

I mean imagine what a rush it must be to not only realize you are capable of uttering your own Fus Ro Dah at will, but all these other giant creatures around you abruptly stop what they are doing to react to your bellowing! :v:

It must be like a grown nerdy adult suddenly discovering they have some superhero power. Of course you would go ham out with it!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Though the last time my wife and I went do Disneyland (admittedly childless) I noted there were SO MANY strollers it was like the stroller equivalent of rush hour traffic in LA. People pushing strollers everywhere, rows of strollers parked outside attractions and restaurants, always having to squeeze past hundreds of strollers. So I could see the logic Vorpalbunny might have had in that simply physically carrying her kid around might be less cumbersome than pushing him around in a stroller.

I also find it is really easy to pass judgement on parents for their decisions, especially if their decisions didn't pan out well. Some things parents do are an absolute coin toss on how the kid will react, and it is rather unrealistic to assign too much credit or too much blame on the parents if things go to either extreme.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Anyway, I’m putting together an amazon wish list for my son for Christmas. He’ll be seven months. I never, ever thought I’d do something like this and even considered it tacky as hell before but people are already asking what to get him so this just seems easier. I don’t know a lot of good brands though. I like imaginative toys like blocks and stuff. Trying to avoid flashy battery stuff. Anyone have any good brand recommendations I can check out?

Nah, I don't consider it tacky. If you don't set up a wish list like this then you're stuck with a lot of stuff you may not want in the house. Kids getting noisy battery powered toys seems like the fruitcake of gift giving to new parents. Blocks and building toys are great though anything that has a lot of pieces means a lot of stuff to repeatedly pick up and find in miscellaneous places. I've heard books are actually a good choice, because you can read to them, and as they get older they can start 'reading' the books themselves. Books also tend to be less bulky and accumulating a lot of children's books tend to take up way less space than a ton of big plastic toys.

I'm sure Pnurtis will appreciate Duplo and those rugged infant books babies love to chew on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The other thing I've heard is toys that are soft that the baby/toddler can hold for comfort. A friend referred to such a toy as a 'luvvie' basically like a teddy bear or something, preferably machine washable. Of course babies' preferences vary, and I wouldn't advise leaving them alone in a crib with something that might contribute to a SIDS risk. But I have seen some kids bond with a stuffed animal, blanket (my brother was basically Linus from Peanuts for the first 5 years of his life) or other soft object they can hold for reassurance.

I gotta wonder if this helps them manage emotions like fear, separation anxiety, etc by giving something they can turn to for reassurance if mom/dad aren't immediately in the vicinity. Any experts want to weigh in? I'm very curious.

(I had such a toy. A stuffed dog I named ruff-ruff that I basically cuddled to the point of disintegration over the years. In my brother's case, it was blankets)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Another theory- ever get so exhausted you fall asleep and wake up, and have no idea how much time had passed? Like you blink, and a moment ago it was dark and quiet and suddenly the sun is up? For an adult, that 'lost time' might be momentarily disorienting, but it could be scary for a young child. Another thought is sleep paralysis, which can be freaky as an adult but again, much more frightening as a toddler.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My cousin recently made a big show on Facebook of how one of her sons got in trouble too much this month and now she's 'donating' some of his presents. My wife and I find it a little disconcerting, because he's only five, and they have this complicated dynamic (2 of her sons are adopted, and 2 are stepsons) which my cousin seems ill equipped to manage.

Theres two issues with this. The first is the concept of taking away /withholding Christmas gifts as punishment. As common of a tactic as this is, I don't think it really works. Chances are it will just make the child anxious or cynical. But on the other hand, it is important to establish boundaries with kids and teach the consequences of actions.

My other issue is making a huge production about how he's getting punished, and all the back patting she's getting for being a Good Mom. This is part of a trend I've seen in the last decade where parents are very public with their discipline via Facebook. I find it troubling because nothing really goes away on the internet. It is one thing for a parent to privately take a kids Xbox away as punishment for falling behind in school, and it is a whole other matter of making a Facebook post where the parent is dramatically hurling it off the third floor balcony with their kid bawling in the foreground. Parents that do this strike me as really insecure because they have to make such a public display of disciplining their kid to reassure others (mainly themselves) that they are a responsible parent.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

We were talking about this in one of my groups, and kids who had been given those punishments said they had no memory of why they had been punished, but the hurt from that kind of punishment stuck with them forever.
I think it’s a horrible way to “teach” kids.

Well, in my nephew's case, that won't be a problem apparently since his mom aired the whole thing on Facebook so everyone friended to my cousin knows as well. It just seems humiliating to me.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

It’s totally humiliating. Can you imagine another adult making you feel this way? I’d certainly be crushed. Kids are people too and I feel like there’s such an obsession with control that their feelings and autonomy are disregarded. Everyone wants to romanticize the simplicity and wonder of childhood while denying it to actual children.

Yeah you could say I’m getting a touch worked up about this. The holiday season and the way kids are treated around it are frustrating to me.
Same thing goes with mealtimes. I get parents want to establish boundaries and make sure their kids eat healthy, but we have some family members that are super strict about the 'no dessert until you've eaten all your dinner'.

This might be a practical standard at home, but at family get togethers it just gets awkward when everyone is enjoying dessert and the one kid is still sitting with 75% of his dinner remaining while his mom is goading him to eat just three more bites of broccoli. But that is easier said than done when that kid had seen another cousin eat nothing but garlic bread yet get dessert regardless.

These get togethers also tend to be for celebrations (birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc) which should be a fun occasion not a stressful one. Make your kid a plate, encourage them to taste everything then move on. I wouldn't want a parent to devote the better part of my meal toward force feeding my kid, and I'm sure the kid isn't keen on being isolated from his peers. Building good eating habits is probably easier to do at home vs at a party where different patenting methods will inevitably collide.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't use social media because I'm not a teenager but at what age would you think it's appropriate to have serious consequences? There was a Reddit parenting thread where the mom cancelled Christmas because her 12 year stole $20 from a fundraiser and the consensus on there was she was being too harsh. Which seems nuts to me, at what point do you follow through with a punishment?

I mean I'm fine with family using social media to share benign stuff. My issue is using it as a pulpit to reinforce how naughty some child has been this year. My stepdad, for all his faults, had a 'praise in public, punish in private' approach which worked well- the child knew their strengths and when they screwed up it was only between them and their parents, nobody else had to get involved. There's using Social Media for mundane things, and there's using Social Media to ostracize a kid barely old enough to understand the concepts involved.

Also, I tend to support the concept that kids need to understand the concept of consequences to their actions HOWEVER, it should never be vindictive. There's consequences to actions in adulthood, be it driving, maintaining employment, or honoring the terms of your rental agreement. However, all these issues tend to be isolated between you and the grieving party; dragging your peers into it is seldom necessary. Far too often punishments parents seem to dole out seem to be a lot more show for other adults to reinforce that the parent is taking care of things. This is hosed up, but on the other hand, I see where it is coming from:

People are super judgy about how other people raise their kids (I'm not innocent here, since I'm talking about my cousin's parenting methods). This makes people self-conscious about the idea that they are doing 'enough'. For some people, making a big scene or show to their peers seems to reinforce to themselves and to people that agree with them that they are good parents. But to me the good parents are doing the hard work behind the scenes. The tough poo poo is always behind the curtain, giving the illusion that the kids are just 'perfect' and the parents are 'so lucky' to have such well behaved kids. But seeing various families I've noted that the parents that inexplicably get these 'perfect' kids tend to invest a lot of time in building a good relationship with them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Thwomp posted:

I feel like setting something vaguely resembling you on fire and screaming into the void.

Give em a free hour in the ballpit [full of overtired and questionably ill toddlers!] :black101:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's also important to use proper anatomical terms so that people understand when kids are talking about sexual abuse. You don't want your daughter to have someone disregard them because she told them "A boy touched my cookie" when 'cookie' in fact meant vagina.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

diapermeat posted:

We were in the same boat up until 6-7 months. Had tried everything under the sun to soothe him to sleep, vibrating mat, white noise, soother, rocking the basinette, rocking him to sleep in our arms. Only to wake up <insert length of time> screaming/crying and having to do it all again. We were at our wits end, at each others throats, work going down hill, etc.

Seriously. Try the cry it out. It worked on my kid within about 3 nights. We took away -all- of the sleep aides in one go. We noticed he wouldn't actually cry, as in he wouldn't cry as if he was hurt, just more frustrated that he didn't quite know how to put himself to sleep.

Consistent bed times every night. 630 bath, 645 bottle, 655 book, finish the last book and lay him in the crib with his stuffy, say good night, give him a kiss/caress his head and walk out. We would go back in in 10 minute intervals. If he really shouted/got upset, we would go sooner. During the night, we gave it the same 10 minute interval, 95% of the time, he puts himself down the sleep.

Now he goes down to sleep within 10 minutes, and sleeps through the night. Even with him getting his first tooth, he had 2 bad nights, then right back to his sleeping.

Sorry for going on, but doing this with our child saved our sanity AND our relationship. If I can help 1 more person do the same, I'm happy.
My sister in law said the trick to getting her kids to sleep through the night was to put them to bed at a very consistent time, and just let them cry for a while. The one downside was that she'd be so set on the bedtime it sometimes meant she had to be home earlier than she might want, but that's a reasonable tradeoff vs getting less than 4 hours of sleep every night.

She mentioned that overnight stays with family /hotel really threw their routine to poo poo, and even a week after they got back she'd have to 'Re-train' her son to sleep.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Your wife cranked out a baby, something even in the best of circumstances takes considerable effort and physical strain. Anything that takes the burden off her, be it kind words, back rubs, or feeding your baby formula and reassuring her she doesn't have to worry about being a failure of a mother is a net benefit.

I couldn't say I would be terribly keen on getting pressured to breastfeed if I tore out my taint, felt exhausted and overwhelmed, and forgot what sleep felt like. Breastfeeding is ideal but for a lot of women it just isn't feasible for various reasons.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
People can be really weird about breastfeeding, and I'm not even talking about the prudes who make a big deal about breastfeeding in public. In contrast, it seems like the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction in some communities, where there is so much pressure to breastfeed that all the potential benefits it might have get eclipsed by all the stress, pain, and aggrivation trying to make it work when it might just not be feasible. And while people always go on about all the practical benefits of breastfeeding, its like talking about the advantages of formula bottle feeding gets dismissed as neglectful or lazy in contrast.

Women's bodies go through a lot in childbirth and no birth is alike. Some women are doing crossfit six hours after giving birth, some don't leave the hospital for a month after their child is born. If mom already has a lot on her plate, why stress her out even more? Its her body, after all.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Didn't the NRA lobby for some law that prevents pediatricians from asking parents if they have a gun in the house? Which is baffling; I figure a wellness check should certainly cover something like this. Especially since some gun owners really stress 'Guns are tools!'. Well okay. If we accept guns are very dangerous tools, doesn't it make sense to reinforce how much you need to stress safety toward owners that have one in the house with kids? Why resist measures to ensure this message gets reinforced? I see this quite often with many gun owners, they get extremely defensive when people tell them "You have a dangerous item in the house, you need to take XYZ+3 precautions. Often the person telling them this isn't even accusing them of being a bad or negligent parent, just reminding them of the potential consequences involved. Sometimes I find the defensiveness about the issue more worrisome than the gun ownership in the first place.

I used to hear about couples complaining about how hard it was to fost-adopt, and when pressed for details it turned out that dad both had psychological problems in the past and currently owned guns in the house. It wasn't even that they were instantly rejected, but rather that the dad would steadfastly refuse to be interviewed by a Social Worker. Like you want kids so bad and you're so insistent these things are not an issue in your household, then why be so cagey about a potentially enormous pair of :redflag: :redflag: about it? :psyduck:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was actually suspended (allegedly for my own protection) the week after Columbine because I was bullied pretty bad in HS, had long hair and a trenchcoat and acted angsty, and the two cops that patrolled my HS had overheard a few girls from school talking about how I was going to go nuts on people one of these days. One small point of bitterness I have about the whole ordeal is that while people acted sympathetic to me about getting 'profiled', absolutely no one stood up for me at the time. My family kept telling me, "Just do what they tell you, don't give them a reason to suspect anything" My ten year reunion had a lot of former classmates reassure me they thought it was bullshit. But nobody stood up or advocated for me at the time.

If I ever had a child in my situation, I feel like I would handle things a lot differently than my parents and peers did with me.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tagichatn posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a big bag of 2t socks? Every baby store sells a 3-pack of slightly different socks that are slowly going missing.

They're down there in that pocket dimension behind their crib mattress along with all the pacifiers, clean diapers that still fit, and vomit-free onesies. Basically Treasure Planet.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

GlyphGryph posted:

That's half the fun.

also, last night was the first night "alone" with my 3yr old son, with the soon-to-be-ex at her new apartment. Was pretty heartbreaking.

Don't know how much was related to mom (and dresser) not being there and how much was just him getting progressively more like this as time passes but he wanted me to stand outside his door and not go anywhere for a long time, and just burst out crying if he thought I moved away at all (even if I was still standing there). Ended up finally falling asleep more than an hour after he should have been asleep.

He's gonna have a lot of adjusting to do.

Anyone have any advice?
My parents got divorced, and all I can say is to try not to be the Goofus my dad was. Always take the high road, sincerely and not passive aggressively. Don't try to bribe your kid into liking you, and don't feel guilty if you establish reasonable boundaries, enforce them, and your kid resents you for them.

My dad cheated on my mom for the second time leading to their divorce. The first time happened when I was your kids age (I have no memory of it) and the second time when I was around 13. Therapy definitely helped to sort through my feelings about it. My dad moved far away and wanted us to live with him. I chose to stay with my mom and my brother moved with my dad.

With my brother Living with my dad, it was clear my dad dumped a lot of the hard work and responsibility in regard to parenting on my mom because once my dad and stepmom had him suddenly they were overwhelmed. These days, my brother blames my stepmom for the problems he had up there, and can't seem to hold my dad accountable.

Anyway, sorry for the TLDR. The reason I brought it up is because I told myself I'd never want to pull the same poo poo to my own kids in that situation. Swallow your pride, evaluate your guilt, and always try to put your kid first without coming off as a martyr. They might not like it now, but they'll come around eventually. My mom took the high road in the divorce and not only is she far happier years later but I have a much better relationship with her.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Feed your kid yogurt with active cultures to help recolonize whatever gets wiped out?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The one parent we know that was adamantly against cry it out coincedentally has a six month old with a very erratic sleep schedule and mom has barely gotten more than an hour or so of sleep at a time since he was born.

Three of my cousins were also initially against it until they actually tried it consistently, and it no longer is a two hour song and dance to get their kid to sleep.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

WarpDogs posted:

Mother in law is visiting and she's pushing us to use a pacifier hard. It's not a hill any of us wants to die on, but it's probably the first time in my entire life in which I've received advice and my first internal reaction is "shut the gently caress up, this is my thing, not yours"

Guess I better get used to it

Your mother in law will give your baby a pacifier behind your back out of spite, just watch

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wonder why people get as strident against piercing babies' ears when at the very least the piercings can close up on their own.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Poor Freckles, thought of circumcised spanked kids crying out out and died.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Benagain posted:

If you choose to circumcise your kid or not that's fine but as an uncircumcised dude it's loving hilarious how the major argument for it appears to be "their dick will look weird and also ew smegma."

Sti thing is interesting but also I used condoms w no problem.

On the flip side as a circumcised dude it irks me when people say stuff like "why would you mutilate your son by doing that procedure" because it implies everyone that is circumcised is 'mutilated'.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Alexa /Echo playing lullabies has some cool lullaby covers of classic rock songs which are pleasant to hear.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Well, nobody is going to cop to actually useful advice parents or in laws give, particularly with discipline. People tend to share anecdotes where they rebuff bad advice vs being the parent that loses their patience and yells at their kids only to have their in laws give them pointers to help manage their temper for their kids sake.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've heard some talk that it shouldn't be heavily relied on as a beverage for kids because it has a moderate amount of sugar naturally occurring in it and kids that are weaned won't feel sated by drinking milk. Probably the lesser of evils though since it's still like half the sugar of juice with more protein, calcium, vitamin D, and other micronutrients.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The last couple of years I've been seeing Facebook posts that are basically :byodame: CREEPER ALERT!. I'm sure NextDoor has their own share of these as well. While I definitely understand parents are going to be vigilant about perceived threats to their children's safety, sometimes it seems like paranoia. This is because the 'alerts' that are shared are often things so benign that even if the person was being creepy it would be really hard to prove it. Generally the individual in question is unknown aside from a description /photo the parent took, and in nearly all of them the person doesn't even interact with the kid at all. This isn't some guy with a mullet handing out free candy from his panel van, it's some guy sitting at the park with his dog.

Then there is the fact that most abuse /molestation comes from people fairly close to children - a cousin, uncle, coach, family friend, etc. These parents certainly aren't putting those folks on blast, they're doing it to total strangers.

People want to do the right thing, but their 'radar' can often be poorly calibrated for processing actual threats and concerns. They either blindly ignore a threat right in their face or freak out about every man in IKEA walking fifteen feet behind them. Sometimes I wonder if these types of Facebook posts serve more to validate the parent posting them rather than actually helping identify some pervert.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
For anyone that uses [gasp!] formula, I highly recommend the Baby Brezza. It makes those middle of the night feedings so much easier, because you can make a bottle really fast. If you are frequently getting up during the night it will save you prep time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

laxbro posted:

Is there a way to measure the dispensed powder from the machine? I think it sounds very convenient but it would be a nightmare to find out that the machine was measuring light. We currently use a kettle + saucepan to heat our bottles. It can take a while, but we are only supplementing now. We plan on transitioning to full formula soon so the Baby Brezza sounds promising apart from the price tag. We currently plan to use Dr. Brown's formula mixing pitcher to store our formula and continue with our kettle heating method.

Does anyone use the pre-mixed formula? Seems like it could be more convenient, though I have to check how expensive it is per serving compared to the pure powder. My wife is hesitant to use pre-mixed because she thinks there would be extra preservatives in it to make it last in liquid form.

The baby Brezza has an adjustable opening you can set depending on formula brand/variety,and the machine dispenses 2-12oz at a time.

I like it because when you get woken up at 2am the faster you can make a bottle the sooner you can get back to sleep after. I'm lazy and the idea of shuffling into the kitchen to heat up water on the stove (why not just the microwave?) is too many steps. But I'm spoiled.

We use Costco Kirkland formula which is pretty reasonable in price. When on the go we pre measure out the powder in several bottles and bring a thermos of hot water.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah don't be like me and dust it off, promptly ignore the warnings on the powder hopper and try and sterilize everything in boiling ways for 5 minutes. The heat warped the hopper and rendered it unusable,and I ended up buying a replacement baby Brezza. Fortunately the first one had been given to us free, and I kept the functional bits to cannibalize for parts if need be. It's also convenient to have two sets of funnel assembly since you're supposed to clean them every 4 bottles.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Huh. I had heard that bacteria can sometimes grow in the sink plumbing and they advise to let the water run for a few seconds before using it in formula for babies under 2 months. We always used distilled water, splash in part due to the idea that there wouldn't be mineral deposits building up in the baby Brezza.

Also happy belated Mother's Day to all the moms out there. You do a helluva job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The kids in my family that are on strict sugar free type diets end up most devouring anything remotely sweet.

We went to a party and my cousin's kids were horking down all the cookies and candy they could get their hands on. They also politely begged the host if they could take leftover cookies for the ride home. Host left it up to the mom, not wanting to be the bad guy in the situation.