Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Koivunen posted:

Divorce mediators are supposed to… mediate… right? We got absolutely nothing accomplished today. Husband, despite still not having a place to live, wants joint physical custody. He also wants a poo poo ton of money. We basically argued for an hour, and the mediator just sat there. At the end she said “well you can’t come up with an agreement at this time so we will have to reconvene.” I thought she was supposed to HELP us reach an agreement???

I’m so frustrated with how it went, $300 down the toilet.

I've only done a little bit with family court as a counselor (thankfully), but there are bad mediators out there. Mediators are supposed to be involved in the discussion and focus on points of agreement and try to build those into bigger agreements. That said, I can see a mediator not knowing how to deal with someone being patently unreasonable without risking their neutrality. If she tells your husband to gently caress off with his dumb ideas he's going to go back to his lawyer and his lawyer will complain to the judge that the mediator is biased against him and you have the same result, except that you now also have to agree on a new mediator. A lot of family court breaks down the moment you run into an unreasonable person, which is unfortunate, because family court has no shortage of unreasonable people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Tamarillo posted:

This is really illuminating, even for someone not going through the process. Its amazing how much of western society's idea of fair process involves tiptoeing around unreasonable behaviour when justice would actually be a short sharp mental slap and being told to buck the gently caress up and start acting like a functional person.

That happens eventually in family court, but unfortunately it's designed to exhaust all other options first. In my experience, that comes when the Home Studies come out, but those can get very very pricey too so most people try to avoid them.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

D34THROW posted:

My armchair psychologist opinion is that this smacks of narcissism. Which I don't find surprising.

It could be, but it's more likely that he 1. Did a lovely thing, 2. Does not consider himself a lovely person, and therefore 3. has created an elaborate thought construct where someone else is responsible for the lovely thing he did leaving him pure and blameless. We call these "cognitive distortions" in CBT.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Koivunen posted:

He is prescribed a certain dose, but only takes it when he feels he needs it, and he takes apart the capsules and dumps all the tiny beads into a pill container, then guesstimates a dose from there.

That's one of the stranger behaviors with pills I've heard of, especially for something like Adderall XR.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Isn't that sort of capsule meant to be a gradual release mechanism, or am I thinking of a different medication? Doesn't seem smart to fiddle with that if so

Yes. Adderall XR is the slow-release.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

My niece was pushing 30 months before she had her speech explosion, and now she doesn't stop for nothing as she closes in on 4. Sometimes it's just a little behind.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Wife's getting induced next week, so we're about to graduate. Got our go bag ready (minus charging cables), nursery is put together, going to be getting bottles and pacifiers sterilized and ready to go. Is there anything you wish you'd had at the hospital that the normal lists don't include? Anything you wish you had when you got home that I can put together now? I'm excited, but nervous, and I need to direct that energy somewhere.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

We have a lot of meat in the freezer but no full on meals in there, that's a good idea. I'd already planned to sweep everything and mow the lawn Saturday, as well as get the dishes done. I hadn't even thought about breastfeeding snacks. I can do muffins, any other good ones?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

I appreciate all the advice, especially on epidurals. She hates the idea of pain meds and was planning to "wait and see" so that will hopefully help her make a decision. I've got some shopping to do tomorrow.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Dobbs_Head posted:

Pack at least 2 sets of clothes for the baby. Pee happens.

Also an extra set of shirts for the parents, same reason.

So a big bag of Hanes shirts was the first thing I put in the diaper bag, my brother had to call my mom and ask for a shirt when his daughter had a poo poo blowout at the doctor's office.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Ended up needing to rush a C-Section because of HELLP but I have officially joined the club. Mom and baby are doing great and I'm crashing after a marathon that lasted...4 hours, apparently.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Had a milestone hit last night. Got daughter up for her midnight feeding, she is loudly pooping while drinking from the bottle so I figure I'll help the wife out and take this diaper. As soon as I take the diaper off she projectile shits off the washable changing pad and hits a basket of clean clothes, a basket with clean diapers in it, and the open wipe warmer, as well as my hand. I kind of just stood in awe for a few seconds, but the sound was so loud it woke my wife up.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

We now have a one year old! This feels both very exciting and deeply hosed up.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Emily Spinach posted:

Be careful, this is when your lizard brain starts to try to trick you into adding another.

Oh we've already had that discussion. Wife and I both come from large families and can't fathom only children.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of Pediatricians, we took our daughter to her one year checkup last month, got her shots, everything was good, but then they asked us to schedule a blood draw to test for anemia, which we promptly forgot about. They've been badgering us about getting it done, but how important is it to do if there's no family history of any of the genetic anemias?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Daughter has started planting her face directly into the water and scaring the piss out of her mom so we're doing fewer and more closely monitored baths these days.