Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Chili posted:

Need a product suggestion.

Our 21-month-old is starting to really kick rear end with toilet training. We want to be able to use toilets outside of the house but obviously her little rump ain't quite ready for the real deal. I looked around for toilet covers and it seems like most of what's being recommended are disposable/flushable covers but I can't quite wrap my head around how those could hold her up without tearing, and we don't really want to be all that wasteful.

I was hoping for something collapsable/reusable/washable to stash in her diaper bag. Any suggestions for something like this? I've been looking around but can't quite find the right thing.

edit; and of course as soon as I post, I find something that might fit the bill. But maybe it's a bit big. She's a very big 21-month-old, so it may work, but I'm not sure.

Anyone use this? https://smile.amazon.com/Portable-Potty-Seat-Toddler-Travel/dp/B07W3LJRQH?sa-no-redirect=1

We use this which is kinda similar? It had tabs on the bottom which keep it from slipping on the toilet seat which is nice.
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=owl+toilet+cover&i=baby-products&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

My child was pretty violent with night terrors as she was screaming/crying and swinging her arms around and would just refuse to be held and be comforted. Check the child to see if their eyes are open or not. If not, I'd guess that it would be night terrors.

We dealt with it by being really patient and just waiting it out until she calmed down. How long did it last? That time can seem like eternity but...I think you have to just wait it out while making sure the child doesn't hurt themselves during this episode.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

Welp, my son's daycare just closed for the rest of March and I have a thesis defense (tentatively) scheduled for the first week of April.

:ughh:

Can your partner watch in exchange for you doing some of the other chores like laundry, washing dishes and giving baths? Maybe your defense will be delayed as well?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Due to kids staying at home, are you all going to rely on electronic devices like tablets or gaming devices to keep the kids occupied while you try to get work done?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

ah I have a 4 and a 2 year old and it's exhausting when they both want to do different things with you so I default to the tablets just for a bit of a break.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

All the coloring pages and mazes are on pinterest, apparently.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Hi_Bears posted:

So much this. 4yo and 17mo, they can’t really play together yet so we have to separate them if the 4yo is doing any kind of big kid activity or the younger one will eat crayons and destroy towers and everyone has a meltdown (myself included). Good thing the 17mo is gigantic and tall and can climb onto all tables and counters so no surface is safe from his rampage.

In the same situation but like both of them want my attention to do their different activities, whether its coloring or going all the way up to the attic and then back down. I don't know why they don't go to other family members for shenanigans.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

life is killing me posted:

Does anyone have experience with Noggin? Is it any good?

It had a seven day trial that I used sometime ago. It's basically Nickelodeon's on demand service for their most recent stuff like Peppa, Paw Patrol, Blue's Clues (from what I remember looking at) etc though they did have old Blue's Clues. The older episodes of Blue's Clues did look dated in terms of video quality. If your child likes those Nickelodeon properties, it could be worth a look.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

abcmouse seems like an okay enough app.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Have your kids ever pressed play on a kids yt video, stopped it, went to the beginning of the vid and then pressed play again? Or am I the only one going through this?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Classroom zoom meetings are a chore with a shy child.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

My youngest has separation anxiety which has made it difficult to do activities with the older one when the youngest one wants to constantly be held and to drag me to this place or that place. How have you all handled dealing with separation anxiety from your children?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I kinda expect that virtual learning well into the fall. I'm in the same boat in that I don't know when to send my kids back to school. I'm so worried about the second wave of this virus.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I do not know why my kid likes booba so much. I don’t know how or what my kids find what the like in terms of shows... I should probably make more of an effort to find out, in order to regulate it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Walmart also seems reasonable .

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

EC?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

At our pre-k, we were told to bring extra clothes in case and to bring wipes and pull ups. Ideally, the kids would let the teachers know when they had to potty but could put soiled clothes into a ziploc to take home when the pooped or peed themselves.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I’d encourage that as kids toys can be so expensive in relation to how easily they break.

I don’t know how to get my kid on a normal sleep schedule as he’ll sleep late but take 4 hour naps that are unfortunately in the late afternoon/early evening which makes it difficult to get him to sleep when everyone else is trying to sleep.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

We tried zoom art classes over the summer and it worked well except for the fact that we needed time and space to have the class which is hard with a younger sibling. I can't imagine what remote learning will be like when the classes are going to be longer and she'll need someone (me) to sit with her.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

How do you get your kid to try something that they are not good at? My little one played with her cousins and was doing so well on their scooter that she wanted her own. We bought her kneepads and wrist guards along with a helmet. The scooter was gifted to us but when she tried riding it away from her cousins, she fell, got a cut on her knee and has refused to even try the scooter at all.

woah. In the same situation as a couple of posts above.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

oh man that hatch rest looks great but so expensive even at 80. I think I'll need to learn how to use my alexa dot for her while I try to figure out how to get my little one to take normal sleep breaks. He napped for 6 hours last night, woke up at around 11 and then stayed up for a bit before sleeping for 5 hours and then waking up again. With a kid going to online school, this is so difficult.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I know that remote learning is tough but having two different teachers in two weeks is...a bit much.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

How does one not yell when helping their kid do remote learning?

Conversely, any tips on helping their kid with remote learning?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

4, in kindergarten and she’s very shy. We have swivel chairs so she’ll use the armrest to lean on and not pay attention. I just yelled at her for not paying attention during reading time though she cannot read yet.

I... it’s hard to do this all week when the other parent is not available to be around. They were one time and they yelled during that time. Today was a breaking point.

The teacher learned how to mute the whole classroom really quickly.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Gotta love that students initiative. Though with covid, fire drills now seem a bit much. For the kid who can’t sleep easily , have you tried a white noise machine after placing the kid down?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

How do you get your kids to read when you aren't inclined to read yourself and electronic devices are aplenty?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

My kids are late with things but I'm really curious if there are any books that can help with boy's potty training. Also, was searching for a book we saw in our virtual learning class today and geezus, a new copy costs upwards of $50. What the heck, yo.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

My kids use ABCMouse and Kidtopia. Kidtopia is definitely feels less academic though it can help with writing letters. ABCMouse at least has videos that helped my kids with pronunciation and in recognizing colors because they watch it on repeat. ABCMouse also has books where some of them have voiceovers which helps a little with reading.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Are any of your kids obsessed with your body parts? Mine is obsessed with touching elbows for some reason. He will pull up shirt sleeves to touch them.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

My kids are learning to potty late. I’m scared about the boy as he’s non verbal and trying to anticipate when he will pee has me nervous. I have a container to catch his pee as long as he can aim. I’m not sure I’ll catch it in time.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

How do you all deal with blood being drawn? My kids have taken my unfortunate trait of having slow blood so it’s so difficult, especially when the medical professionals can’t find a good vein immediately.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 21, 2021

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Any suggestions on how to get a 3 yr old to mask up? They need an eye appointment and it’s a requirement for the visit. He hasn’t gone outside as a result of this mask aversion but a recent doctors visit is making the eye doctor visit a need.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Prize for how long they stay in bed?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

When your four year old turns five, it's gets a bit better.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

we were told to practice putting a mask on our 3 year old every day and that even if you can get the mask straps on for a second, you have to give a lot of praise to the kid to kind of build up the kid being used to having that on his face.

Our youngest is having developmental issues and is going to need therapy because he's not as far along as others in his age group and it's just ....deflating.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Why does my 4 month old thrash about like her soul will evaporate if she falls asleep, for about the last 30 minutes before she finally passes out. We've ruled out food, water, diaper physical discomfort etc. It's obvious it's time for a nap but it's like she's.... Fighting sleep?

Maybe they are experiencing nightmares and don't want to go to sleep as a result?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Regarding Park Kids, they can be so crappy.

One of my kids has trouble communicating in terms of speaking and listening so while he was at the top of the slide, he hesitated and the older kid behind him was telling him to hurry up in no uncertain terms.

Another time, my other child was trying to go down a slide when older kids tried climbing up that same slide even though, I believe, he saw that others were trying to go down the slide.

I want to place this into kids being ignorant of others and a bit of selfishness but man, it was tough to see.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Maybe some arm floaties just in case because there's always potential for disaster near a pool and some swim shoes because the area around a pool can feel so rough on the feet.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I don't know how my kid finds these things but she found Roys Bedoys on kids youtube and it's like the "David, NO!" series and quite delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Please my child, stop needing me to hold you so that you can go to sleep? My lower back hurts like heck when I have to do so.