Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

zingiber posted:

--oats, ground flaxseed, and fennel

NCBI has a good article about fennel and milk supply. It also says there is evidence that you should limit using it to two weeks at a time because excessive use could cause toxicity.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK501793/

My friend got me a supplement called “pump Princess” that is pretty much fennel and dill, and I’ve been taking it for three days and I’m pretty sure my supply has gone up. I caught my letdown with the haakaa while BFing, then pumped after, and between the letdown and pump I had about 5oz. Assuming my 3 week old ate about 2oz, that’s the most I’ve produced in one sitting so far.

I made lactation cookies with oats, flaxseed, brewers yeast, and sunflower seed butter, but they made me super gassy and I didn’t notice a difference in supply.

Obviously this is all anecdotal, I’ve only been breastfeeding for three weeks, so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
We’ve got a one month old girl. My husband has three months of leave, I have six. At first we both tried sleeping at night with her in the room, but I wasn’t sleeping at all, so we have been taking shifts for a couple weeks and it’s worked out really well. I go to bed around 9-10pm, he stays up with her overnight, and he goes to bed when I get up around 5-6am, and gets up in the afternoon or evening. During the night he will bring her up to me when she needs to be fed since we are breastfeeding, but I can usually sleep in 2-3 hour blocks.

Over the next two months we will have to transition back to both of us sleeping at night, and I’m looking for advice on making this as painless as possible. Specifically, I am a very light sleeper, and before she came along I slept with ear plugs since my husband snores. She has turned out to be a very noisy sleeper, she bleats like a lamb, squeaks, stretches, strains to poop, etc. How can I get used to sleeping with a snoring man and a noisy baby? I tried running white noise but it doesn’t drown them out. My husband sleeps just fine through all her noises, which worries me a little bit because when I go back to work, I am straight overnights, and I worry he won’t wake up to her hunger noises if she’s not sleeping through the night at that point. Anyone have experience with mom working night shift?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Breastfeeding has been going pretty well overall, but last evening was rough. She was on the boob for almost five hours before I was finally able to set her down without her immediately wanting to feed more. She usually eats 3-4 times a night, so my husband will give her breast milk in a bottle for one feeding so I can sleep, but last night she only fed that one time. I got a solid six hours of sleep, but when I woke up, I had completely saturated my nursing pads, my shirt, and my freshly laundered sheets and blankets. My boobs were still ready to explode. I fed her, then pumped five more ounces. Yikes.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

marchantia posted:

Thank you for all the reassuring posts. I've been following this thread for a while and thought it would keep me from being the crazy parent of a newborn. Turns out you can't prevent it! I started some anxiety meds and am starting to emerge from the hormonal fog of the first two weeks. Still wound pretty tightly but am no longer laying in bed next to the crib sobbing about SIDS at 3 in the morning.

My first two weeks were awful, anxiety and baby blues wise. My baby was great, but I was an absolute mess. I didn’t get more than 45 min to 2 hours total of sleep for the first ten days because I was so anxious and couldn’t turn off my brain. I got to the point where I was crying constantly, mostly for no reason, I couldn’t think straight, and my hands were shaking. I got permission from my midwife to take a Unisom and chill out while my husband syringe fed her. I slept for three hours straight and felt like a totally new person. Slept again later that night and it was like pushing the reset button. Then I went on Zoloft and had permission to take a Xanax every now and then if I needed it. The Zoloft has helped tremendously. I honestly felt like I was going to have a complete breakdown and/or die at the two week point. Now we are five weeks in and things are going much, much better.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

DaveSauce posted:

The US doesn't give a poo poo about the mother and it's scary.

Case-in-point: for all our checkups in the first 6 or 9 months that they administered the PPD survey, we had to pay for it each time because insurance didn't cover the $35 bucks it cost.

WTF?! That is so messed up.

I’ve had anxiety and depression issues in the past so it’s easier for me to recognize when I need to go back on meds, but I can completely understand how a new mom can get swept under the rug, thinking what she’s going through is “normal.” Even when I was crying during my baby’s one week check up, saying I was overwhelmed, devastatingly sad, and anxious for no reason, I got a “Don’t worry, everyone feels like this, and in a few weeks you won’t even remember how miserable you are now.”

My midwife, thankfully, scheduled an appointment two weeks out because she thought I might have some PPD issues, and she wanted to debrief after the somewhat traumatic birth experience I had. That’s when I went on Zoloft. I’m so grateful she’s a provider who actually cares about baby AND mom, it seems they are few and far between.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

zingiber posted:

Girl, I was right there with you! I eventually was diagnosed with post-partum OCD, which explained the horrifying, visual, intrustive thoughts I was having of our baby being killed in various ways. Not cool. It is absolutely disgusting that doctors, nurses, What To Expect, parenting forums, etc don't discuss post-partum anxiety or it's fantastic spin-off, OCD. All you ever hear about is post-partum depression which is not the same at all.

PSA, because #bethechange:

-This is underresearched, but MH professionals are finding more and more that gestating parents develop OCD/anxiety for the first time around pregnancy and birth, because of the severity of the hormonal changes, new responsibility, lack of sleep, etc.

-If you have previously experienced depression, anxiety, or OCD you are more likely to suffer a recurrence at that time for those same reasons.

-Perinatal anxiety and intrusive thoughts =/= post partum psychosis. If anyone confuses it, know they are not trained in this area.

-The edinburgh postnatal depression scale is a clearly flawed measure for perinatal mood disorder because it's super easy to lie on and not scaled for anxiety, which we are realizing is equally prevalent.

-In one survey, 90% of respondents reported intrusive thoughts of harm coming to their babies. Obviously not a great measure statistically speaking but you can see that it's likely a common enough problem that maybe pregnant people should be warned about it?!?!?! Just saying. We're only at the drat doctor's for hours every week.

-PPI (Post-Partum International) is a fantastic resource with free online support groups and counselors. They are woke to perinatal mood disorders and well-trained.

Woof! Okay, that's all. Best vibes to you in your continued recovery, and to all the peri/post birth folks out there. You're not alone <3

This is an excellent post, thank you! Going to check out PPI.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
When your kid gets older, if they still need tubes, it can be done in the office. They put numbing drops in their ears and pop the tubes right in. The procedure itself is simple and fast, little kids just need sedation since they wouldn’t tolerate lying still to have it done in the office. Most kids are usually back to normal not long after the procedure.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Has anyone machine washed a pregnancy body pillow? I’m still using mine post pregnancy because it’s comfy AF, but my boobs leak all over at night. Even wearing bras and breast pads and nursing every 2-4 hours, I get wet spots all over. The case zips off but milk is in the pillow itself and I want to wash it but not ruin it.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Garage sales are also great for baby clothes. The only new clothes I have were gifts, everything else I’ve bought at garage sales. I also went to a kid’s thrift store when they had a bag sale on their onesies and got 40 onesies for 10 bucks.

My 8 week old (how is she 8 weeks already?!) is busting at the seams in many of her 0-3 month clothes. It broke my heart to go from newborn to 0-3, and from size 1 to size 2 diapers, and when her hat with the bear ears didn’t fit on her head any more... I assume the heartbreak of them getting bigger never stops.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I wash pump parts and bottles by hand, seventh generation soap seems to be working just fine. I’ve only sterilized twice in two months by boiling for five minutes. You also don’t HAVE to wash stuff after every use as long as you follow milk storage guidelines, you can rinse pump parts and store them in the fridge for a few days. I’ve only done this a couple times when I was too tired to wash, otherwise things get washed right after use.

42 oz is crazy! I pumped 11 oz for my personal record and my boobs were ready to explode.

We were around a lot of people last weekend and my two month old got her first fever. She appears fine apart from being warm and extra fussy, we see the doctor tomorrow. She’s been totally attached to me, my husband has tried to help out by taking her but she cries like I’ve never heard her cry before and it breaks his heart because he feels like she doesn’t like him. Trying to let him know he’s not doing anything wrong, she just doesn’t feel good.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Re: traveling. We just got back from a three day wedding weekend with our two month old, and while it was fun, it was hellish at the same time. She is right in the middle of her 8-9 week developmental leap so that made things extra challenging. The drive was about 200 miles one way. The first day was a river boat cruise, and it was way too stimulating for her, but there was nowhere quiet to take her because we were on a boat in the middle of a river... My husband was best man so we were at the venue the next day way early for set up and photos, and she actually did really well for the entire day and night, including the reception which went until midnight. She needed constant holding, rocking, and bouncing to maintain her chill, but we made it all day with no crying or fussing. When we got back to the hotel, however, she was DONE and we had to stand by the sink with the water running for almost an hour before she calmed down enough to nurse. Sunday was brunch, then we took her to meet her great grandma, and she lasted about 20 minutes before she was done with that, then we drove the 200 miles back.

We are supposed to travel again in a couple weeks, but we are going to limit it to an overnight trip for the sake of everyone’s sanity.

Regarding packing, we over packed for her and ended up forgetting some stuff for us, like phone chargers and clothes for the cold nights. I brought my breast pump but only used it once when I was uncomfortably full because she wasn’t nursing as well as at home. I could have used more burp rags but we made do. We tried to keep up with her nap schedule but it was not possible with all the stuff going on. The next time we travel we are definitely going to prioritize nap times for her, even if it means missing out on some stuff.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I’m not there yet with my baby, but from what I’ve read, sleep routines should be at the same time every day and in the same place (the crib). While your kid may look asleep when walking in a stroller, it’s only superficial, and is not as deep a sleep as they would get in their crib. They are still being stimulated by sounds, smells, and sensations from being outside, and this makes their nap not as restful as it could be.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I guess I’m lucky?? that I’ve had life long sleep problems, so adjusting to baby sleep hasn’t been too different. At least now I have a reason for why I can’t sleep. My twelve week old just slept “through the night” from 10pm to 3am for the first time last night, but I was awake no less than three times in that five hour stretch.

Last week we were with family, and one of their dogs licked my baby on the mouth, which I wasn’t thrilled with. Later it was brought up that the dog has worms and was on day three of treatment. I’m now going to be worrying for the next 1-2 months that my kid has worms since Google says that’s how long it takes for worms to show up in poo. My baby will be fine though, right...?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
My girl turned three months old yesterday and celebrated by refusing to go to sleep for four hours after bedtime. It was the first time I’ve had to put her in the car and drive until she stopped crying. She had been pretty predictable with when she naps and when she’s ready to go down for the night, so last week I tried to start really focusing on developing a routine and seeing if I can get her to nap in the crib instead of the rock and play, and put her to bed in the crib at the same time every night. The very day I tried, her predictable routine was GONE and she’s been extremely resistant to going to sleep since. It takes at least a solid hour to get her to sleep after she starts yawning and rubbing her eyes now, often times close to two, and she gets so upset. She never used to cry at all, so this has been tough to deal with emotionally.

Did I pick a bad time to start the routine thing? She’s going through a leap right now so I’m hoping this fighting sleep thing is very temporary. The PURPLE cry thing is exhausting and I feel so badly for people whose kids do it every night.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Thanks for the advice. For the last few days we’ve gone back to naps in the rock and play because the crib was just not working out. I’m not doing “sleep training” in the traditional sense, I’m just trying to establish routine since she had been so predictable before. Bedtime routine being going upstairs, putting on a clean diaper and a sleep sack, then having a feed and rocking/singing to sleep. I don’t ever plan on letting her cry it out. Usually she would nap around 10am, 2pm, and 5pm, then be ready for restful bedtime sleep by 9pm, waking up to feed at 1am, 4am, 6am, and be up for the day around 8am. Now that I’m actually intentionally trying to get her to sleep at those times, she’s wanting to change it up and do her own thing. This past week she has been fighting sleep hard and getting way overtired and super upset, which is new. Maybe I will just wait until this leap is over, and then try again.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
It’s getting close to 1 AM and she’s in my arms in bed fighting sleep like a champ. Her eyes will close for a couple minutes and she will kick and wake herself up. She took a 30 minute nap at 10 AM and one 5 minute one at 6 PM, she’s been wide awake all day otherwise, and insatiably hungry. She emptied my boobs and then had an additional 8 oz of stored breast milk that my husband gave her after I handed her off so I could go to bed. It’s (hopefully) temporary... It’s (hopefully) temporary... It’s (hopefully) temporary... At least there wasn’t any inconsolable crying tonight.

Re: the bad daycare, dump them ASAP! I once had a similar experience with a new dog groomer (saying he was naughty when he’d never had any problems before, and not giving him any water so he downed two bowls when we got home) and I was really upset, I can’t imagine if that had been my human child!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Thanks for all the awesome advice about bedtime routine! I am definitely going to start doing bath/warm water tub before bed, and time it based on her wake cycle instead of strictly the clock. She was up until 1 AM again last night, but slept until 6 AM, so yay? Supposedly one day left in this leap.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

y'all i have tried the simple answers and i'm still having problems.

Getting through the lowest points of depression isn’t simple at all. Part of being depressed is thinking that things are never going to get better. I think about global warming and how the future might be terrible, everyone does to some extent. When I’m depressed, I dwell on it, and it makes me more depressed. When I’m on meds and in therapy, I think about it, but I also feel hopeful that change is coming and the future is going to be great. I also actively try to do my part to reduce my carbon footprint and participate in things to better the environment. There have been terrible things going on in this world since the beginning of time, but there have also been wonderful, amazing things going on as well. Life is hard, being a parent is hard, but life and parenthood have so many beautiful, joyful moments that make it all worth it. The good outweighs the bad, if you let it.

That being said, you don’t HAVE to be a dad. If your wife wants to keep the baby, nobody is forcing you to stick around. It seems like you’ve got your mind made up and you’ve decided that parenthood is a horrible thing that you don’t want to subject yourself to, and you’re not willing to work on it to see things in a more positive light. Therapy can do wonders for that, but if you have focused on this in therapy and have truly made an effort, but you still don’t want a kid, just leave. It would be an EXTREMELY lovely thing to do to your wife and baby, but growing up without a father versus growing up with a dad who actively resents his child and life in general could be somewhat less psychologically damaging.

THAT being said, right now your kid is still in the womb, and it’s really difficult to imagine what life will be like with a baby until they are actually born. Your kid is still just an idea. I was pregnant, feeling my baby kick, and it was still difficult to register that it was an actual baby, MY baby, until she was born. Even after she was born it took a couple weeks to really start feeling a bond with her. This isn’t uncommon, either. Before your kid is born, focus on trying to lessen the negativity of being a parent in your therapy sessions. Be there for your wife, but be open about how you feel, maybe she can help work through it together. Things will be drastically different when you can actually hold your baby and start to bond with it. If you stick it out with your family and you still hate being a dad, you can always take the lovely, devastating route and leave.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

edit: "if it's so bad why don't you leave" is a GREAT question and one i DO NOT HAVE an answer to, so.

All I’m saying is, it sounds like you’ve already made up your mind. People are offering up good advice and your only response is “NOPE!”

Was this an unexpected pregnancy? That can have a huge impact on feeling anxious and negative about becoming a parent. Everyone has some fears or doubts about being a mom or dad, it’s just something you have to power through for the benefit of your child. If you’re not up for that, the choice seems pretty clear. Just give being a parent a chance, if you’re willing. It’s impossible to know what it’s like before it happens.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Where can I find sleep sacks with long sleeves for tall babies? My 3 month old is a giant and is 26” long and close to 16 lb and is too tall for her sleep bags that are supposed to be good for up to 9 months. Amazon doesn’t have bigger ones with long sleeves and Carter’s only has mediums which are good for 25”.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
We have a couple sleeveless ones and we put her in a long sleeved onesie, but her hands get cold and it seems like she sleeps better when her arms are warm and cozy.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Thanks for the sleep sack stuff!

I have become a Huggies convert. Pampers swaddlers were okay, and would only leak on occasion, but the baby dry were awful. Her poop would shoot straight up the back every time. We got some Huggies snug and dry on a whim and it was like the heavens parted. There was a night where I forgot to do a middle of the night change, and when I changed her the next time that diaper was heavy AF but didn’t leak at all and her skin seemed pretty dry. The Huggies natural care wipes are by far my favorite.

Update on the sleep routine stuff: We are waiting until she is tired and hungry, then doing a bath or warm water tub, followed by lavender lotion, sleep sack, and a feed. Two nights were really successful, she slept for five hours straight after putting her down. The other nights were a little tougher but it hasn’t been that long. I’m enjoying the routine too, it’s a nice way to wind down.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Re: flat spots. I have a friend who is a pediatric physical therapist and her kid ended up with a flat head. It can happen to anyone. And yeah, every kid will have something.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Does the baby make a clicking noise with their tongue while eating? That can be a sign that letdown is coming too fast and they’re losing suction and swallowing air. Trying to feed them as upright as possible or in a side lying position with mom and baby on their sides can help, or releasing the latch and letting the spray go into a towel or a haakaa, then relatching can help too. If there is a lactation consultant you could see, they can take a look at the latch and see if there are any problems. Many hospitals offer lactation support for free.

Regarding being judgy, don’t feel bad about it. As a parent you’re kind of always on the lookout for kids even if they aren’t yours. I get judgy of my best friend’s parenting sometimes. She’s got a 19 month old boy who is absolutely wild and she doesn’t do anything to corral him or stop the behaviors. We went out to eat once and he was walking on the table and standing in the high chair because she lets him do it at home, and he fell head first on to the hardwood floor. The entire restaurant got really quiet and were staring as he screamed bloody murder, but she just sat there, didn’t take him outside or anything, while he screamed. Her rationale is that kids cry, and people should deal with it. He’s constantly screaming, too. Happy or sad or anything, it’s screaming. She’s been kicked out of three places now because of his screaming, but she hasn’t done anything to try to teach soft/indoor voices yet, or teach what quiet is. I love her, and I love her kid, but doing stuff in public with him present is super embarrassing. I know toddlers can be a lot to handle, and he might not grasp the idea of quiet yet, but she lets him do whatever he wants and jokes about him being a free range kid. Our hanging out now is either just the two of us, or us with the kids someplace outside where he can scream and run wild all he wants and it’s not quite so ear piercing. That turned into a venting session, sorry.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I have two good friends who did no daycare with their kids, just occasional babysitting or help from grandparents. Their kids, now in preschool, seem totally normal and adjusted. They did do lots of play dates with other kids for socialization starting when the kids could interact. Even if you don’t know many people to do play dates with, there are always public parks or playrooms.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
When my leave is over in October we are going to try to do no daycare. I work straight 11pm-7:30am and my husband works 12pm-7pm. Occasionally the grandparents can watch her so I can sleep more than a few hours, but I’m going to be even more of a zombie than I already am. Honestly I’m pretty nervous that it’s not going to work. Plan B is my husband being a stay at home dad and me picking up more hours at work since childcare would cost nearly his entire paycheck.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Yeah it’s definitely not ideal, but my husband’s hours are set and I’ve worked night shift for over five years so I’m used to functioning on not ideal sleep. With his strange start/end times, there isn’t a shift besides night that I could work without overlapping, and therefore needing childcare. Childcare here is crazy expensive and would take up all of his paycheck. We could afford to live on my paycheck alone, and I can pick up extra if we want to make any big purchases.

My husband works full time. However I don’t work full time, and both our parents live close-ish and are retired and want to help with childcare. I should have included that with my original post. Probably half of my work days would be covered by grandparents so I could sleep more. I do want our daughter in childcare eventually, just not while she’s so little. I’d like her to be able to walk and interact with other kids first.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

1up posted:

My daughter just started K and has homework. She's not 5 yet (thanks California cut offs) and her teacher asked me if she was a preemie today. It's been nonstop chastising at pick-up that she doesn't sit still and pay attention but gently caress! She's not even loving 5! Y'all shouldnt start school at the beginning of August if you don't want to deal with the just barely made the cut off kids. I was miserable last year that my son stayed in until September, but thank gently caress he's just barely on the other side of the cut off now.

I have a very end of August birthday so I was always one of the youngest, if not the youngest, in my grade. The first couple years will be an adjustment because there’s still a big difference between 4, 5, and 6, but after that kids start to become more equal developmentally. The only thing that sucked for me was being one of the last kids to learn to drive, but I got to move out and start college at 17 so that was cool.

My four month old had her first belly laughs today and my heart almost exploded. She was so happy and cute all day despite getting her vaccinations this morning. If I could guarantee all my babies would be like her, I would have like twenty kids.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Has anyone read Oh Crap! I have a toddler by the same author?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Baths really helped my baby sleep (well, get to sleep anyway), so now every night she gets time in the bath as part of our bedtime routine. It was a suggestion from this thread and it’s made a big difference getting her to sleep initially. She only gets soaped up if it’s been a particularly gross day or if it’s been a while since the last soap, otherwise we just put her in some plain warm water and she splashes around for a while. She gets lotion after every bath and she’s had zero problems with dry skin.

We just got through the three week long four month sleep regression where she was up every 60-90 minutes at night and refused to nap during the day. Now we are back to her regular schedule of asleep by 9:30, then up at midnight, 2, 5, 7, and 9.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Ugh can diaper rash be spread by reading this thread? My 4.5 mo old has a very red butt as of last night for the very first time. I’ve got some all-ages hospital barrier cream I got from a nursing conference a while ago that I’m icing her poor little bum with. Hoping it gets better before it starts to bother her.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
My baby was on the boob constantly for the first week until my milk came in. Then she cluster fed for up to six hours at a time for the next month. Pumping so my husband could take a night feeding saved my sanity. Around 3.5 months we had a night routine established so I could do 100% of the feedings day and night, and pump in the morning to have some in case I wanted to run errands or have a beer with friends. However, we are 4.5 months in and I still don’t get more than three hours of sleep at a time. I got tricked a few weeks ago with a couple nights of five hour stretches, but then the four month sleep regression hit me like a train.

We decided not to use pacifiers only because it could become something we’d have to wean off of eventually, and I’d rather deal with crying and no sleep while she is tiny and I’m not sleeping anyway, rather than having to face that challenge in the future.

It is proven that babies who use pacifiers beyond six months are more prone to ear infections. I never had a pacifier as a kid but had horrible ear infections, so anything I can do to prevent that for her, I’m going to do.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I’m so sorry there have been so many awful experiences with lactation consultants! The hospital I go to has an awesome team of lactation nurses who were really supportive. From day one they were realistic and basically told me not to worry, if I had to supplement with formula it was no big deal. I go to a breastfeeding support group every week and the nurses have always been supportive of whatever the moms are going through, and even give advice for bottle feeding if that’s what the moms need. They encourage breastfeeding and will try everything to make it work, but if it’s just not happening, they have never shamed anyone for supplementing or switching to formula, at least from what I’ve seen. Moms bring in coupons for formula and free samples for the other moms who need it, too. Fortunately for me my kid latches well and my problem is oversupply, but I was able to donate my extra milk to a mom who needed it so that was cool.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I had my baby at a baby friendly hospital. My labor was over forty hours long and I was so exhausted I could hardly walk, but I couldn’t get to sleep at all. On the second night the nurse had to convince me to let her take her to the nursery so I could sleep. I got 45 minutes of sleep the entire four days I was in the hospital, but it was thanks to that nurse who took my baby.

The inconsistency among nurses and the advice you get really comes down to the nurses experience and their comfort level in going against hospital policy. Hospital policies are baby stays in the room at all times, back is best, breastfeeding should be encouraged, etc. if you’ve got a newer nurse who doesn’t have any kids of their own, they are going to stick straight to the policy. If you’ve got a battle axe nurse who raised four kids, they will be the ones to tell you it’s ok for a baby to sleep on their side, or offer to take them to the nursery. Hospitals are crazy at monitoring how policies are followed, and if a nurse tends to not follow the policy they can be disciplined. With all the conflicting info out there about babies, the answers you get from nurses depends entirely on how afraid they are of deviating from the policies.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

For leaking at night, how long is she going without feeding or pumping? I imagine pumping one last time in bed might help?

DO NOT pump more if you don’t want your milk supply to increase more than it already is. Leaking during the night regardless of how often you feed is super common for the first month or so until your baby and body regulate supply. I was soaking through bras and nursing pads every two hours no matter what until the end of two months, now I only leak if it’s been more than four hours.

Pumping more means your body thinks it needs to increase supply, so you will end up in a vicious cycle of pumping for relief but ending up with more discomfort. Your bed sheets will suffer for a while but it’s only temporary.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Is 21 months too early to diagnose a sensory processing disorder? Asking for a friend’s kid who screams a lot, so much that it seems abnormal. It’s the high pitched, painfully ear piercing screams, and it’s basically how he communicates. He only has two sort-of words, “ba” for ball and “da” for dog. She’s aware that the lack of talking might be of concern. The screaming is literally all day long, for no real reason.

For moms who had postpartum hair loss, did it ever grow back? I’ve got pretty significant hair loss, to the point where I want to shave my head. It’s been coming out in clumps for over a month and I can’t lose much more before I will look atrocious.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Nothing to add except you’re not alone with a non sleeping baby. My five month old is still up every 2-3 hours, and only in the last few nights has had a couple 4 hour stretches. I sleep like poo poo and it takes me forever to get back to sleep normally so I feel your pain. One day these kids will sleep through the night... one day...

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I always put her on the boob when she wakes up. She is capable of putting herself to sleep but it takes forever, and often she will only become more awake. If I give her boob right away I will be up with her for 30 minutes tops, and it buys more time until she is hungry again. My husband has also suggested trying to rock or soothe her instead of feeding, but he’s not the one who has to do it, so she’s getting boob.

If you want to give your baby breast milk only, don’t listen to those who tell you to supplement just for the sake of sleep. If your baby is growing fine, there’s no reason to add formula at night. Breastfed babies tend to wake more often than formula fed, but if you’re not comfortable giving formula, don’t.

I only feel like the awake every 2-3 hour thing at 5 months is uncommon because literally every other mom I know with babies her age (and younger!) are getting at least 7 hour stretches by now. There was a mom at my lactation support club whose 3 month old was sleeping for 11-12 hours a night uninterrupted. When I was a baby I would sleep at least 8 hours in a row from 6 weeks old, so I was hoping my kid would do the same, but nope. It’s really not THAT bad, but it will be nice when I can finally get a good stretch in.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If you are going to give an infant breastmilk during the night past the 5 month mark they will continue to wake up every few hours.

When she wakes up she is hungry, I can feel that she takes around 3 ounces from one boob with each feeding. Her growth has been consistently off the charts and she is growing out of 9 month clothes. Until her growth slows down and she’s not actually hungry at night, im going to keep feeding her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
My poor sweet baby girl has a UTI. I knew something was brewing overnight when she wasn’t very interested in eating but was up every hour squirming and fussing. Once she was fully awake she was super upset, and making straining faces and noises while crying. She also spiked a fever of 101.7, so off to urgent care we went since our clinic didn’t have any openings. We had to wait an hour with the pee bag on her before we could collect enough urine, and she was so miserable, I totally cried with her.

Tylenol and antibiotics and lots of cuddles and hopefully she will feel better soon. My husband and I have been good about always wiping front to back, she’s never had a bubble bath, and we change poopy diapers as soon as we know there’s poop in there. Really, really hoping this was a fluke and there’s not some bigger problem. Not going to worry about it unless it happens again, but it is worrying while I’m sitting here with this tiny furnace in my arms. I feel so bad for her, UTIs suck.