Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
My son is 10 months, and he won't fall asleep unless I'm holding him. He'll keep crawling around and crawling around, falling over from exhaustion (it's kind of funny, but we need him to go to sleep eventually). What I've done is set up a little corner in a quiet place in the house where I can sit and rock him to sleep away from any distractions like toys and the cat (and my precious internets). Got to do it every night, but that seems pretty normal. Then carefully transitioning him to the crib. Repeat as necessary.

As far as the other issue, I'm a stay at home dad and it is kind of a downer; even in a decent-sized liberal city there aren't any "daddy" specific groups that I can find. The library storytimes are great, but only 45 minutes or so and not so great getting a chance to interact with other parents. One thing that is nice is getting out and going out for lunch; especially at a place that likes babies. Good for getting a nice meal and a bit of outside time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Just had the 12 month wellness visit and the little guy hasn't gained any weight since 9 months. He's been sick the few weeks and doesn't seem to want to eat anything other than bananas, cheerios and formula, but I'd like to try and get him eating good stuff again. Any good ideas for nutritious foods to give him that a somewhat picky baby might eat?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
That makes sense, just stick some banana in everything. Little guy really can't get enough of them. He just pulled some out of a grocery bag and started trying to chew through the peel.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Our kid is about 13 months and he's been really bitey lately as well. The interrupting cuddle-time and making an "ouch!" reaction is what we've been doing. Just reacting in pain alone apparently isn't as effective since they like it when you react to them. Because they don't know that it's a negative reaction.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gimbal_Machine posted:

I need advice.

I'm afraid I'm overcomplicating matters but about 7 days ago, our soon had his first fever at 11 mos. old. He was around 100.8 for a few hours. We gave him some tylenol/motrin and the fever went down. Over the last few days its been sub 100, but he's been fighting congestion.

He's having lots of trouble sleeping, and thus, so are his mother and I. He really hate me trying to give him nasal drops which seems to devolve into a wrestling match. We put in a humidifier and still, he seems like he's having a lot of trouble. He basically hates us approaching his nose with either the bulb thing or a klenex. Any thoughts? Is it normal for this to be keeping him up and making him into a really crabby kid? Is there any point to taking him into the doctor or will they just tell us to struggle through and keep trying?

I'll try to keep this from being too e./n., but after a week of terrible sleep I'm really wrecked. I want to make him feel better and it sucks just listening to him cry/be all congested.

This was me two months ago; not a whole lot you can do, I'm afraid. Our doctor said that they stopped making children's cough medicine (they don't want to give meth precursors to kids, I guess?) so you can't really relieve the symptoms like you can with an adult. Keep dosing him with tylenol/ibuprofin and do your best to get the nose clean. Our kid hated the bulb, the spray and the kleenex, so we just had to power through it. Try making silly noises when you go in for the nose-wipe, that seems to help us now. We took him to the doctor a couple of times, and mostly they were like, "give him tylenol, keep his nose clear, and give us $30 bucks." So not terribly helpful.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Prophaniti posted:

Our 7 month old hasn´t learned to sleep in his own bed and we´re planning to teach him during the next few weeks. Usually he stays up till 2200 and heads to bed with us, I know we´re terrible parents. His sleep patterns involve 2 really steady naptimes during the day from around 1000 to 1200 and second at 1500 to 1700 approx. At night he sleeps with one or two feeding breaks, those are fine mum doesn´t mind and I sleep through anything.

He eats puré and mash sometimes fruit and veggies cut in small pieces.

We plan to feed him dinner at around 1900, lots of starch, veggies and a glass of water, to fill him up. His little teeth clattering eagerly on the glass while drinking is the best thing ever.

A quick diaperchange and putting on his nighttime clothes and he should be ready to be tucked in at around 2000. Singing him songs/reading his nighttime book to calm him down.

We hope to use the tactic of leaving the room, when hes groggy and enter if he really cries, pick him up and put him back down before he falls asleep, as adviced by a sleepcoach.

Do you people see any faults in this plan, should we change something to make the transition smoother for babyliam?

That sounds alot like our kid's sleep habits. We cut out the second nap and now he goes to sleep much earlier, and even makes it through the night most times.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
15 months now. We started him in the crib about 9 months.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We had a similar situation, an old cat that was set in her ways and would go to the bathroom wherever she felt. I was the one who cleaned most of it up, and I was like "do we really want the cat peeing all over our nice baby-proof living room? Where he's gonna be crawling around a lot?" And so we decided she had to go.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So, ear tubes. What's the deal with those? What age are they recommended at? Our kid has had a whole bunch of ear infections this winter, and we're thinking it might be time for the tubes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SassySally posted:

So my 7 month old Ben has not slept for more than an hour at a time for the past 2-2.5 weeks. Well, I should say he won't sleep for more than an hour without cuddles. If we're holding or cuddling him in some way he's fine, but put him in the crib or playpen and he's up. He does have a tooth that broke through (his first) and he's recently learned to pull to standing, walk along the furniture, and crawl instead of scoot, but I didn't think that would mess up his sleep for so long. He naps 2-3 times during the day for 30-60 minutes each and then I take him to bed at 10. He's usually in his crib by 11 and then he wakes up 6-8 times before 6-7AM. I would really love to sleep longer than an hour myself- any suggestions?

Our baby was a lot like that, too. Unfortunately, it seemed like nothing we did could fix that. It got better after a month or two. And then it got worse. And then better again. We shall see what happens next... but I'm afraid that it doesn't seem to be a solvable problem. On the other hand, it's not something you've done, it's just.. the way they are.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I've been trying to get our kid attached to a stuffed animal for almost a year now and it isn't working. He has no interest in them, it seems. But put an empty bottle in the crib and he will curl up around it as happy as can be. At least the past few nights, anyway.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Randomity posted:

I tried so hard to get both of my kids to take a lovey but they rejected all of my attempts. Then one day, my one yea told daughter reached out for an old stuffed animal of mine in an open closet at my parents' house and they've been inseparable since. Luckily the lovey she chose can still be found online, so I was able to buy a backup. Here is Avery and "Woof," as she calls it:

Very cute. Guess the kid has to choose his own animal sometimes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
For our kid's first we just had our family over. Made a cake, he had good fun smearing it all over himself. Don't need a big shindig, and it's a good excuse to show off the kid to your friends and family.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
When do babies get their TDAP again? I had to get it redone when my 1st kid was born, but I don't remember when he got his, or when number two gets his.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I started giving my kid little bits of sausage at about 10 months or so. He goes wild over it, then and now. The purees he always hated, and but then, he never liked baby food much.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

greatn posted:

Oh god a friend of mine with a two year old says he is having such a screaming fit any time they try to put him to bed he is vomiting. Then he goes to sleep with basically no protest after they clean it up.

That sounds a mix of actual anxiety and the attention seeking. Anyone dealt with anything like that? He apparently does this at bathtime too (he was vomiting at bathtime before but now seems to save it for bed, he just cries and wails during bath now).

I hope to god my kid doesn't do this. He already gets super mad putting his five month old self to bed (but he sleeps through the night at least)

Our eldest is two and he hates the very concept of sleep. He wails and cries when we try to put him to sleep and cries whenever he wakes up in the night. Some kids just aren't good sleepers. He usec to cry and vomit while fighting sleep, but that was mainly when he also had a cold and the crying would trigger the vomiting.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

hookerbot 5000 posted:

How do people deal with having 2 kids under the age of 3? At the moment doing anything social is hell, I take Connor to a couple of parent and toddler things and if he starts acting up I feel like there's nothing I can do because Ellie is so clingy if I put her down in the pram to try and stop Connor from running around/screaming/yelling at other kids when she immediately starts screaming too so there's two screaming children and parents look at me like I am a horrible mum. Is this normal, maybe I am a horrible mum. I feel bad for Connor because he's just little and I don't think his 'bad' behaviour is anything unusual but it feels like I can't deal with it properly because of the other screaming banshee. I don't want to stop taking him places but I can't leave the baby with anyone and I'm starting to dread going to classes because I know it's going to end up with lots of screaming and me feeling useless.

Yeah, we have a 2 year old and a 4 month old and generally don't attempt anything too ambitious without both of is around. When my wife is flying solo the baby Bjorn is a lifesaver, but she doesn't try social events because the kids will demand all her focus and more.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Papercut posted:

Yeah, his sleep behavior is definitely different with me than with her. She was shocked when I told her that with me oftentimes he'll lie in the crib awake and just slowly fall asleep. For her it seemed more all or nothing.

The bad news is that one night this weekend, his sleep looked like this:

6:05 - Fell asleep reading in the crib
8:35 - Woke up crying, nursed to sleep
11:42 - Woke up crying, nursed, rocked to sleep
4:24 - Woke up crying, tried rocking, nursed to sleep
7:01 - Woke up for day

That was after waking up for good at 5am the previous two days. :shepicide:

The good thing is that we changed up our routine and that seems to be baby steps in the right direction. We're being much stricter about only mellow play and dim lights in the evening, doing the exact same sequence of bedtime each night (eat, bath, diaper, nurse, read 3 books outside of the crib, lights out and into the crib), and trying to feed him more during the day (including just handing him finger foods during playtime). We're trying to rely on nursing or reading only when his cries get intense and we can tell he's not just fussing. This has seemed to help a little bit and we're hoping to just build off of it.

That sounds familiar. Our oldest hates sleeping, bedtimes, and cribs, so it was really rough from about 8 months till... Well, I forget when he started only having one or two crying fits at night, but that's what it is now. He's just over two.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Axiem posted:

The rule my wife and I will generally be following is that you can invite over as many friends as you are years old. So this year, for our daughter's second birthday, she will have over 2 friends. We are also going to avoid the everyone-in-the-family invitations past the first year, because we just don't want to host that much.

Yeah, we were going to adopt that rule, but our toddler doesn't seem to have any friends, so we just had the family over.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Axiem posted:

In case people didn't notice it, the Atlantic has an article about how modern parenting is destroying our children (if you haven't read enough of them already). It's a reasonable read.

Eh. In college, we had to read Hesiod, and he pretty much said the same thing, how kids were getting all up in that new-fangled literacy thing, instead of improving their martial prowess. And... Oh, shoot. All those children he was complaining about? They're all dead! And their civilization? Crushed under the iron heels of the Macedonians! Quickly, let us scrap our TVs and Nerf bats and pass out junior bayonets and BB guns to our children so they are prepared for our next imperial adventure!

Seriously, tho, a lot of hand wringing about how kids are too soft or whatever. Without any of that fancy ”evidence” to back it up, just what his ol' gut tells him.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

I feel like a lot of it has to be neighborhood-based.

we lucked out when we moved down here, the neighborhood we live in has enough children that it is a strange day in the spring or summer when an urchin or ten doesn't ring my doorbell and ask if the boys can come out and play.

My kids are on a shorter leash than I was at their ages though not really deliberately, just, they don't ask, and they don't really have the kinds of huge spans of time that I did as a kid. School eats up a lot more hours than it did when I was a kid, and if you just try to stack peewee soccer and robots league in on top of it, there isn't that much time. Same with summers, the school year is longer, we take more out-of-town vacations, and there just aren't as many 6-8 hour "and don't come back till dinner" stretches for kid to make their way down to the trestle to smoke and smash bottles with delinquents and undesirables.

Also the empty lots we used to play in have turned into tract housing, condos, and in one case, an interstate highway. Empty space in an urban area is really at a premium these days, so the only open spaces for my kids are the city parks (and a few private spaces).

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Apparently videos of toys wrapped in play doh is a thing and my toddler LOVES them. He had chosen to watch these for his TV time like every day this week

Ugh. Can't stand those. My kid loves those videos too.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TheRustyMachete posted:

My pediatrician and pediatric dentist both recommended using a rice grain sized amount of children's fluoride toothpaste for my 16 month old, since we don't get it in our water system. The dentist was even happy when I mentioned that she just wants to suck on the brush afterwards. Not having fluoride outside of occasional dental trays at the office as a kid really did a number on my teeth, so I don't understand why a town that's already treating the public water would decide to skip on something so helpful.

Our city's been going through a lot of water-related bullshit lately, and although the anti-science crowd is certainly the public face of it, a lot of industrial water users probably don't want to add a couple bucks to their water bills just for something as mundane as improving the dental health of poor children. Our pediatrician gave us some fluoride/vitamin drops for our oldest kid. Our youngest... well, who has time for that? I should probably give him some as well during the time until he can suck on a toothbrush.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

me your dad posted:

My daughter is 2.5 years old and we signed her up for soccer. She's in it with her friend and their first session was Saturday. My daughter and her friend seemed to be the only kids not into it at all. The other kids really took to it and followed instructions very well (one part had them touching their noses to the ball). My girl was happier to run around the field and kick the ball (which, to be fair, is soccer).

But I'd like to encourage her to follow the coach's instructions. At the same time I don't want to make it unpleasant for her or punish her.

Any advice to keep her on point, or should I just not worry about it at her age?

We took our 2.5 year old to a soccer thing at the park too, and he enjoyed running around and rolling in the mud more than anything. He didn't like listening to directions, standing still, or kicking the ball, so it was kind of difficult to play along with the other kids.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

Don't punish kids at home for poo poo they do in preschool. You can't even usefully lecture an 8 month old...or a 8 year old for that matter. Just model good, gentle, considerate behavior, and let the daycare do what they are paid to do. A grabby-smashy 8 month old is not a parenting shortfall, it is just an 8 month old.

However, turning a grabby-smashy 8 month old loose on the 6 month olds may indicate a staffing shortfall at daycare, so keep an eye on that. If they are letting the 8 month olds muscle the 6 month olds, are they letting the 2 year olds mix up with the 9 month olds?

True, but you might need to keep an eye on it. My oldest was kicked out of daycare when he was about 2 because he was biting kids.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Papercut posted:

This is probably the age gap we'll end up with. We have a 19-month-old and getting pregnant again is the last thing we would want to do right now. The thought of having an infant on top of this little monkey sounds like a nightmare.

They're tricky like that. My wife became pregnant with the second kid when the first was about 13 months old. He was fairly easy to control then. Now at 2.5 years, not so much. If we had waited another 6 months, we might have waited another 6 years at that point. Good thing is younger brother is probably going to be his size eventually, able to hold his own in their nightly wrestling contests.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Babies are just weird sometimes. Our kid was doing that a few months ago, but now he's down to waking up only twice a night. Don't know why, but I just powered through it at night and took naps at work. Not the most helpful answer, I realize, but I don't think there's a perfect solution out there. Although we didn't use pacifiers with our youngest, we did with our oldest, and when he was waking up a lot, we'd just track down the pacifier from wherever it ended up and re-insert it, that seemed to help for him.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SavoyMarionette posted:

We're flying cross country to visit family for Thanksgiving this year. I have a 5 year old and a 2.5 year old. Last time we flew as a family my oldest had just turned 1 and we flew overnight, and with nursing her to sleep for the flight things went very smoothly. The flight also was only a couple hours. This time it'll be one way flights both ways, about 5 hours long. I'm going to try to bring along my kindle and my daughter's leapfrog to help entertain them and a few toys or coloring books but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm a bit nervous as I'll be in a row of seats with the kids on my own while my husband sits across the aisle. It'll be night flights again so while I'm hoping I can get them to rest, I also know I might end up with tired cranky kids instead.

Yeah, that sucks; although can't you switch seats between the four of you as needed? I remember the first time we flew, it was on Southwest, and we ended up completely separated because our connecting flight was delayed, and the kid just started screaming at the top of his lungs because he could see mommy, but couldn't get to her three rows away. The guy sitting next to me was, unsurprisingly, very happy to swap seats once that was an option.

Quick question though, regarding birthdays; what's the etiquette as far as inviting other kids? He'll be 3, but we don't really know the other people at his daycare very well, and we don't really have any other kids his age to invite. Should we just roll with a family only party? Or try and track down some friends for him? The concept of birthday parties is certainly interesting to him, but I don't think he has any to compare them too, since, as I say, he hasn't gone to any other ones.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Our oldest has a bit of hypospadia, too. The doctors said to wait until he was at least 2 before correcting it, if we went that route. He's just turned 3 now and we haven't really looked much into treatment options. He seems to be peeing fairly normally, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

I think new parents expect kids to sleep through the night like adults after X weeks/months because there is always some person who says their kid did. I'm convinced they lie to get happy couples to ruin their lives have children, or they drug their kids.

I think it's more that there's a conspiracy of silence regarding kids. Nobody reveals the gruesome details until it's too late.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

greatn posted:

I can't feed my guy medicine. He's 17 months and got a nasty ear infection, he really needs this stuff. The first couple of days he was taking his medicine really really good, and swallowing it all. But now he won't, and will immediately spit it out. Worse, he is extremely verbal that he doesn't want it, the most verbal he is about anything. I don't think he's getting enough.

I'd just hide it in food, but he's unpredictable with food and there's no telling what he'll actually eat, so I'm afraid to put it in something and waste it if he doesn't eat it. The only thing he will always eat is grapes, and that is a crappy container for ear infection medicine.

Is it the pink stuff or the white stuff? We had no problems with the pink stuff, but the white stuff we hid in his milk. That also worked with kiddie tylenol.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

1up posted:

Any tips on moving bedtime for a 12 week old? My daughter sleeps like an absolute champ but she is apparently 3/5ths vampire so her version of bedtime doesn't happen until 2-3am.

Kids don't really develop a good sleeping routine until 24-30 or so, so I wouldn't sweat it at the moment. She's still trying to figure out this whole "outside of the womb" thing at that age.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

pangstrom posted:

Ugh, our just-turned-3 year-old (3y) claims the nanny hit our 1-year old (1y). 3y lies like crazy but either he's gotten better at lying or it really happened. I'm still 90% sure he's lying because our nanny is pretty great and yeah kids get better at things, but she is no perfect angel and could have snapped or maybe something benign happened that 3y thinks was the nanny hitting 1y. Hell is getting into the epistemology of toddler testimony.

Most relevant past fib: 3y told my wife I pushed 1y down the stairs once after 1y bumped into me trying to climb the stairs and fell down a single stair. Anyway, I'm going to talk to the nanny tomorrow about it and see if she knows what he's talking about and tell her not to talk to 3y about it (I don't want him to know this stirs the pot any more than he may sense already), but NOT LOOKING FORWARD to that conversation.

A few weeks ago our 3 year old was sent home for biting another kid at daycare. When I talked with him about it he claimed his teacher bit the other kid. I think projecting is just one of those things kids that age do. Obviously you'll want to talk to the nanny about it on the remote chance... but other kids do that too.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Our oldest boy is just over three and doesn't want to potty train very much either. Pooping seems to be biggest problem, he starts crying for a diaper rather than using the potty. We've tried to get him to try underwear, but he adamantly refuses to try that. He'll pee if we remind him to sit on the potty, but doesn't initiate the process on his own. Don't have any advice for either of you, but it is something we are struggling with too. And his daycare is getting antsy about it, they said they are not going to let him move to the preschool with the other kids his age until he's potty trained.

sullat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 27, 2014

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
A friend of mine posted on Facebook that the best way to control your children was to get them hooked on smack, and then ruthlessly control their supply. And by smack, he meant watching videos on the iPad. So that might be something worth trying.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

Yep, I think we'd be able to write off our payments to her for childcare too. I'd prefer that she report but I'm not going to narc on her.

Except your $600 dependent care benefit deduction probably isn't going to be anywhere close to the 7.5% payroll tax you're hit for. Especially if it's been going on for several years.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
My in laws have, like, a million kids older than ours, so it's worth the visit in the sheer amount of usee clothes and toys we get. They haven't tried to give me any advice at least, possibly because they're still trying to figure out their kids.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
My in-laws really go Christmas-crazy. Three seperate gift-openings, each with a huge pile of toys. And the kids are currently playing with (and fighting over) a cardboard box. Kids these days.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
My wife and I decided on two, and they are 20 months apart. It is definitely a lot of work. My sister in law has 4, I can imagine how much work it is because we visit and see how much work it is. That said, they are getting to an age where they can entertain each other without too much risk of injury, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lyz posted:

Me too, with the kids 20 months apart. They're now 3 and 1.5 and when they play together it is the cutest loving thing ever. My three year old loves helping her out and sometimes he'll offer her toys or food without any prompting. So I would say it was worth it.

On the flip side, starting over was a pain in the butt, it took about 11 months until they really started interacting (a very long 11 months), and while my first child was sleeping through the night in his own bed at 9 months, we're still working on simply night weaning my daughter at 18 months. So there's no guarantee the second one will be easy.

If I could have done it again I probably would've gone back to work a while, maybe waited until the first was potty trained and then thought about having a second. It's good they're close in age (for them) but I'm getting a bit nutty having been nothing but a Mom for three years.

We got lucky in that our second kid has been a lot less demanding than the first. He actually sits and plays with his toy, he started sleeping through the night a lot earlier (and is doing so more consistently), and hasn't had quite so many problems with daycare. It would have been a lot harder for us if the second had been a carbon copy of the first. Since we're having so much trouble potty training the oldest, might end up having them both stop using diapers about the same time.