Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
My almost-6 month old still eats between 6 to 10 oz of milk in the night? Most of the time he wakes up and treats it like a daytime feed except he goes back to sleep right after. It has been closer to the 6oz end of the scale now that we've started him on some food, but still. I am kind of worried about the nighttime eating now that he has his first tooth, but I figure that if this enormous boy needs to eat, he just needs to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Hah, yeah, my little dude does the same thing with the munch mitt. He likes to munch it but only when he is holding on to it with his hands, not wearing it like a mitt

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Not sure yet, I have only ever put shoes on him once. He didn't seem to notice them but he was much younger at the time. Now he's almost 8mo so not mobile yet, but I am anticipating him hating shoes because he sure is bound and determined to get the socks off whenever they catch his attention.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

Sarah posted:

On the weekdays my baby girl is so freaking tired from daycare that she is rubbing her eyes at 6 and cranky. Her bedtime is 7 pm. That seemed early to me but she kind of dictated it so we went with it. It works well for her so we keep it that way. We have no life outside of home now because we have to leave events early but it’s also a good excuse to get out if dumb stuff!

Same! I thought that he might alter his schedule with the time change, but maybe the little dude can secretly read clocks because it didn't even budge. He has decreed that 6:30 is sleepy baby eye rubbing time and 7 is asleep time. But honestly that works for us since we are boring as gently caress and most of our local friends have kids so are on similar schedules.

Speaking of, some cute rear end poo poo happened the other day. Ours is at the stage where he loves to pat/slap any horizontal surface for all he's worth. He was going after it on a little bongo type thing, and our friends' kid (16mo) started applauding :3 God drat adorable as hell

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Just curious - do your daycares provide lunch/snacks, or do you send your own?

Another FB group mom posted about packing her 14 month old's snack box and the way that everyone else chimed in made me realize that maybe it isn't the norm in that a daycare provides all food (except breastmilk, obvs)? I'm not always 100% thrilled with some of the food choices at mine, but honestly I don't care if he eats donut holes once a week if I means I don't have to worry about sending food yet

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Yeah, everyone else already covered this but we were assessed for early intervention at the 1.5-2mo mark and I remember the last telling us that almost every baby assessed at that age will qualify simply because it's normal for kids to be all over the place developmentally. If you're really worried you can ask your Dr about those early intervention services though - we discontinued at 6mo because, surprise, he's fine and we didn't need to be taking up their time, but they were very helpful.

For the record, our enormous little lad didn't roll either direction until he was 5 months. Then he started easily rolling both ways within a week.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Daycare apparently decided last minute they were doing a $10 secret santa this Friday, which I'm minorly salty about because I don't usually go to the store midweek but whatever, not a big deal. It's just funny to me that apparently within the kayfabe of daycare, the kids are the ones getting each other presents? Maybe that works for the older ones? I would never stiff a kid out of getting a gift, but I did briefly entertain myself by imagining my 18 month old picking out a bunch of scratch off tickets or a Radio Shack gift card for his 2yo santee

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Okay goons, I need bath time tips

Little guy is 18mo, and up until about 15mo he loved bath time. Now he hates it. As far as I can recall we didn't have any traumatic bath incidents that would have changed his outlook so drastically. Screaming non stop and terrified, and that's before I try to pour water on him. If I get in the tub with him it stops him from trying to climb out constantly and he is maybe a bit less upset, but he still sobs the whole time. He is pretty big for his age and as I'm sure you all understand, wrangling 30lbs of wet frantic toddler is no easy task.

The thing is, we recently discovered that he doesn't mind the pool. There is a little baby ramp area at the one nearest us where he can walk in and get his feet wet, and then he does fine being carried into the deeper water. He loves his feet being held in front of the water Jets and giggles a ton. I'm going to try putting his swim stuff on him tonight to try and recontextualize the tub? maybe?

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Thanks everyone!

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
I know nothing of Teddy Ruxpin canon, but we got one of the $10 squeeze button ones as a birthday gift - it is ugly as sin and sings songs with multiple voice parts, so in the rich mental fiction that we have developed surrounding our child's toys I do believe that it is speaking in many voices at once because it is possessed by demons

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
I am having so much fun with this baby now that he is turning into a toddler, last weekend we figured out that we can play "baby fetch" with him by shooting mega nerf darts so that can chase while they bounce, and then he brings them back so we can do it again :3 little dude is awful at reloading tho, get it together

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Put our 19 month boy back in his crib after a couple months of cosleeping and he climbed out of it almost immediately. Got a scrape on his nose but was otherwise okay and we converted the crib to toddler bed the next day.

I don't want to jinx things, but so far it has been going surprisingly well. The first two nights were lovely but it's been about two weeks since then and he has seemed to readily adjust. Though one night he did get up and walk out to the living room, slept on the floor for about an hour, then got up and toddled back to bed.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Schools are closed in my state but daycares are still open, not sure if we are going to get a shelter in place order unless something happens at the USA federal level. My husband and I are both classified as Essential personnel where WFH is not possible, but one of us is going to be more essential to the work force than the other if that happens because, you know, the baby.

Tbh I wouldn't mind staying home with the dude, even unpaid (I realize this is a privileged position), if I didn't have to wipe out all my accrued leave to do it. I was just starting to feel better about having more than one single day of leave banked up but lol at that I guess

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Okay cool, I will look into it. I work for a state govt so who tf even knows but it doesn't hurt to check. It is what it is (but God drat I'd really rather burn all my sick leave before daycares close by staying home and sleeping if I am going to be out long enough to use it all and end up on an un/paid LOA anyways argh)

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Yeah, every single time I've had to call someone from our main office I've been able to hear their kids hollering in the background/been interrupted by "daddy can't play right now buddy". So many people are in the same boat.

Also agreed on wanting to strangle everyone who talks about how much downtime they are having

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

life is killing me posted:

Definitely worth looking into. Tonight the fucker rolled around in his crib for an hour until 8, I went in and picked him up and he did his old poo poo which consists of rubbing his feet together and squirming while acting like he’s asleep when he’s really just trying to stay awake. Feels like we are in a sleep regression when he knows fully how to put himself to sleep but won’t.

God that restless leg poo poo bugs me, good to know I'm not alone with my kid who will just constantly press his feet into whatever he can reach, but also condolences

For naps, is he a car sleeper? This is our #1 cheat code for the weekends (I have no idea how they get him to nap at daycare, but he definitely behaves better there so idk). He zonks out in five minutes then after a little more cruising around we go home and I transfer him into bed

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

nwin posted:

Yeah that’s what my wife and I were talking about yesterday- zero socialization for the next two months or so for our 17-month-old. We’re trying to keep him entertained but it’s a lot of walks around the neighborhood and playing with us.

Tried getting my kid to play with me in the backyard the other day and he spent a good hour just investigating a small ShopVac that we had sitting out.

What I'm saying is, give baby power tools

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Our daycare is still open but the number of kids being dropped off is way down since schools are closed and I figure they're staying home with parents/older siblings. They've upped the cleaning/hand washing with the kids, and I have to answer a bunch of COVID related questions each morning when I drop him off

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Good news, my kid has decided that he doesn't hate bath time any more! In fact, he loves it so much now that he will play in the water as long as I let him, back to being adorable, thank christ he isn't screaming like he is being murdered any more my nerves could not handle it

life is killing me, my first thought was that maybe he is getting too tired before you try to put him down. I think our boy is about a month or two younger than yours but if we let him push back naptimes to keep playing he becomes super loving unreasonable and going to sleep gets way worse.

But if it's that he really wants mom to put him to sleep that badly... It seems like you've turned this into a battle of wills with a baby, when there is a simpler solution here? I'm sure there is a reason that you are trying to put him down instead of mom - she's trying to work at home, or she's been dealing with him all morning so it's your turn? Those are legit reasons but it would make your life a lot easier if you could switch things around - you take him all morning and she puts him down to nap. I don't know your whole life and household schedule so this is probably bad advice. But it could save you both time and agony to work something out if he really goes down that much easier for her

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
14 hours sounds rough. We've regularly pulled off 10-11 hours drives to visit family but that's only with two people so one of us can be in the back feeding/entertaining. But if you have two people I would suggest one of them stay behind with the kid while you go cross country. But if you don't have two people, thereby absolutely necessitating the drive, that drive is going to be impossible.

Well, not impossible. Hellish and miserable. I can technically imagine slogging through it, but no one would be happy. At least when it's over it's over? Get as much driving done overnight as you possibly can.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Our dude climbed out of his crib right at 18 months. We transitioned to a bed right away, and it was honestly a game changer in the best way possible. It had been super difficult to get him to sleep in his crib, and like you I loving DREADED this transition, but within three nights he took to the bed like a champ.

The first two nights sucked rear end. I would lay him down and lie right next to him on the side of the mattress while he screamed and cried and tried to climb over me. I would keep laying him down and calmly telling him that it was time to sleep, and eventually he gave up. Rinse and repeat a couple of times a night. Night three he went down with a lot less fuss, but got up to walk around drowsily like six or seven times, including one point where he walked right past us and decided to fall asleep on the rug in the living room.

But after that it was like we snapped into a routine. It does help that this kids LOVES a routine. Stories, brush teeth, PJs, say goodnight to daddy, lay down. Sometimes I lie next to him until he falls asleep (15 min max), or he tells me to "Go!" Unless he's not feeling well, he has either been sleeping through the night or waking up once for a new diaper. We haven't had any issues with him messing with stuff in his room, since the first thing that he wants to do is find us. In a way, I think that know he can get up when he wants to has really helped him? Like he knows that he's not trapped anymore so he doesn't have to fight against it.

Worth noting though that his wake-up times are usually around 4:30am (we would be getting up at 4:45 anyways, but still). Occasionally I can get him back down until 6/6:30, but it's not like we've got it all figured out and it's all sunshine and rainbows.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
We never took ours out of daycare. Both of us have jobs deemed essential that cannot be performed from home but aren't in an office environment either. Honestly, I think it was easier not really having a choice. Just following guidelines on weekends and not seeing friends/family. But we also live in a town of like 20k, so definitely not a highly populated hard hit area

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Any advice for helping a two year old with seasonal allergies?

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
From a page ago now, but in kinda surprised to see all the love for those munchkin cups in here. We have had a ton of issues with them leaking if our 2yo does anything other than set them down perfectly. We're definitely a Nuk household, but you have to make sure to wash/not lose the internal valve thing

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
There has been some construction going on across the road from our daycare and holy poo poo it is the single greatest thing that my kid has ever seen in his life. If there were a zoo for construction equipment I'm pretty sure that we would be there every weekend

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Our schedules are so set in stone it's not even funny. Even trying to push his bedtime back by half an hour (hoping he'll sleep in longer in the mornings lol) has led to disastrous results. He has been napping for a solid two hours a day on the weekends though thanks to the daycare schedule, which is amazing

I can't wait until this kid is old enough to explain his dreams to me a little better, because last night he woke up sobbing inconsolably about "doggy shirt" ??? He doesn't even have a shirt with a dog on it, so maybe that's the problem, but I'm truly at a loss

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Kid does not understand that his cousin lives 10 hours away and repeated heartbroken pleas to go to Toby's House will not make us just drop everything and drive there. Toddlers have no real concept of distance/time, more news at 11

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Add us to the expecting #2 club, due March 10

nwin posted:

In other news, gently caress my decision to get rid of our dock-a-tot a year ago because we didn’t want one more thing to move. Those fuckers are expensive and now with #2 on the way we were just remembering how useful it was.

Was it worth it? Legit asking, I am realizing that maybe I'm dumb as hell because I just sorta laid the baby wherever I wanted him to be? Idk maybe it's because my kid didn't roll over for like 5 months. But I remember seeing a bunch of patterns for homemade versions on Etsy or whatever if you want to try to DIY it to save money

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
We kept our dude in the bassinet until he measured 14+ lbs at his 2mo appt, which was just too close to the 15lb weight limit on the bassinet for comfort. After that we coslept until 6mo, at which point he got too mobile and we sleep trained him to his crib.

I for one slept WAY worse for quite a while once he was in his own room. I had gotten so used to his breathing and little baby noises, the absence of them kept waking me up for a while until I adjusted.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

BadSamaritan posted:

Seconding the epidural thing. They’re wonderful and I credit mine to actually being well rested for when it came time to push.

Big same. Probably the best thing we brought with us to the hospital was a laptop, so we could just put on Chopped and zone out to rest while my slow rear end cervix took it's sweet time dilating. Also, I found that the "you won't be able to feel anything when it's time to push" worry was unnecessary - I'm not sure if they dialed back the epidural or what, but I had no problem at all feeling things towards the end lol

My husband said that the fact he'd seen me in intense amounts of uncontrollable, medical-related pain before made it a lot easier to handle during the birth process, but uh, I don't see that as being real actionable advice if that's not a path that your life hasn't already crossed. Definitely try to stay cool, be supportive, take pictures of that immediate skin-to-skin time tho

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
My son heard my husband fart one day - walked over to him, patted his dad on the butt, and proudly declared "poopy!"

Absolutely devastating burn

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Sometimes I feel defeated trying to interpret the wants and whims of a toddler, but sometimes I feel like I am deadass nailing it as I successfully negotiate a compromise on where his trucks can go to sleep (in a laundry basket, covered with a blanket, and "up high" on his dresser) since they are too noisy to sleep in bed with him

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Rotating toys is a great idea.

The most popular toys in our house at the moment are his plastic trucks, a big mess of poker chips, and some carpet squares

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
When our kid was a newborn he would make sleep sounds that were the exact noise from the Predator. We expected baby to cry, not come for us with his heat sensing vision.

We tried to start potty training a couple of weeks ago and so far the results have been very discouraging. He will go on the potty if you put him there but shows zero inclination for telling us when he has to go. He has told us a grand total of one time that he needed to pee, and that got him and extra super special reward that he loved, but that apparently wasn't enough motivation to get any repeat notifications.

He's not even 2.5 yet and I am starting to wonder if we are jumping the gun? It's hard to tell if he's there maturity wise, because he is super duper verbal for his age (like, 5 word sentences) but he just does not care about any of this

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Yeah, for us 1 year was prime "playing with anything that isn't toys" age. He really liked to push an empty garbage can around the house? But someone up thread said Megablocks and those were a huge hit too

wizzardstaff posted:

You might also look for opportunities to match colors and shapes between two things. My wife was gifted a quilt with big friendly animals on it and also some extra matching fabric, so she cut out the animals and stuffed them with polyfill. Once the kid figured out that she could hold up the 3D animal and find an identical partner on the quilt, she was thrilled.

Awww, this is great!

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

my wife acts like I'm an rear end in a top hat when I put on noise cancelling headphones for poo poo like this, but I highly recommend it

Earplugs honestly saved my sanity when ours was a newborn. Highly recommend - I could still hear him crying, of course, but taking a few decibels off the top was magical

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Well, our second is now ~3 weeks after a surprise induction at 36wks and things have been so much easier than this point with the first. But that might just be because I have long since forgotten the feel of sleep? Seriously though it hasn't been terrible so far, so to everyone else in the thread expecting #2... It may not be awful!

space uncle posted:

Yeah I’ve been short with my spouse which isn’t fair because most of her problems are medical issues and not attitude/personality. I’m definitely the rear end in a top hat but I kind of feel like I ended up with two newborns when I only expected one. Post partum and breastfeeding not only kicked the Type 1 Diabetes lows into overdrive but also somehow fried all of her nerves and required tunnel surgery in wrists and elbows. Fun to take care of an adult and a newborn simultaneously.

Have her sugars stabilized at all yet? I think it took me about 2 months the first time. But I too am currently in the "do not bolus for anything, drink an entire can of soda an hour after pumping" stage myself and goddamn it gets tiresome

John Cenas Jorts fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 6, 2021

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Really feeling the human hunter/gatherer history rn as my ~3yo stalks and hunts us through the house after I had to teach him about how some plants in the yard are spiky and we shouldn't touch them, but they won't hurt him if he is standing three feet away and hiding behind my legs.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

I appreciate the kind words y'all. They help, they really do.

He routinely skipped his possession of her, would pick her up late and drop her off early, routinely didn't take holidays, and we had to rush back from our honeymoon because he decided he wanted to drop her off at 12 instead of 6 and told us that two hours ahead of time. He only started to get back in the picture when we tried to change the custody order to be in line with what he was taking.

Him up on the stand was just so much transparent lying that we didn't think anyone would fall for it. But whoops this is Texas and my wife dared show a bit of emotion during cross examination.

Have you looked into legally admissable parenting communication apps? Talking Parents is one, and there are others at different price points/features. If he has nothing to hide then he shouldn't have a problem with a hard record of when messages are viewed/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
I guess I thought those things had an extra layer of legal credibility, but nevermind then I guess you're just hosed