Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Finally managed to get our son to fall asleep in his crib today for me. Usually he won’t calm down at all in there without mom holding his hand through the bars, but he had just peed all over me after he ripped the diaper off (he’s about 6 weeks old now) and I had to go run laundry and shower off and by the time I got back he was asleep! It’s a miracle!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The doctor told us our kid wasn't growing enough and we had to supplement with a lot of extra formula. It's now day 3 of extra food and I got to experience my first projectile vomiting incident last night while he was sitting on my lap. It was truly an incredible sight to behold and experience and I do not want to experience it again.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Renegret posted:

Yes formula projectile vomit is bad.

But, it's nowhere near as bad as milk+food projectile vomit.

I currently have a rug sitting outside because of the smell since Sunday and there's a real chance I'm going to end up throwing it out.

I am not looking forward to that. I dealt with cleaning him up first, and didnt realize just how much had gotten on me until after I finished cleaning him up. I had to take a third shower for the day, all from messes he caused on me in a 4 hour period. Little boy does not seem to like formula that much.

He has learned a new thing where he shoves his diaper around when he is trying to poop which has lead to him pooping out the side of his diaper onto us multiple times now so we are learning to catch his arms when he starts straining so he can't do that.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Our kid went 9 days at 7 weeks old without pooping. He was perfectly happy, but it did overflow his diaper into his swaddle.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Our kid has now taught himself to sleep consistently with no effort on our part? We have done nothing, he's 11 weeks old, and he now puts himself to sleep around 830 and sleeps til 1 or 2. He then eats a massive amount of formula, then sleeps again. He's done it every night for over a week now.

The only downside is he now thinkts 630-10am is playtime....

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Cheesus posted:

I would have paid any amount of money if my child slept until 6:30 instead of 5:00.

He doesnt sleep til 630. He is usually awake between 330 and 5, but he wants food then, not to have us dance for his entertainment.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I need to start collecting wfh tips while managing a baby. My inlaws have been helping out with the babysitting during the day, but they're apparently taking 2-3 weeks of vacation this fall in Octoberish and are going to fly like 4 times and see a shitton of people in several states who are all traveling and going to a huge wedding??????

So I now need to plan for watching the kid while working for at least 4-5 weeks so they can quarantine the hell away from us when they get back. I'm trying to talk my work into letting me take the rest of my paternity leave then, but I don't know if I can given our workload so I will almost certainly be wfh and only baby care person for a long time. Even if I get to take my remaining leave I will need at least 1-2 weeks of baby and work overlapping.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

2DEG posted:

How much flex do you have in your hours? I ended up working late evenings and into the night a lot when we were under lockdown for a month and a half with no daycare, but that was already with splitting the day with my husband also WFH, and it was exhausting tbqh. Do you have a spouse that can cover evenings and on their day/s off and you get some hours in that way?

It'll also depend on how old baby is. If they're not yet mobile, it should be much easier to plunk them in a playpen near your workstation to keep an eye on them than, say, watching your toddler like a hawk at all times because they are out to actively kill themselves.

Not a ton of flexibility? The kid will be 5 months old when this happens. My wife will be home by 4pm in the afternoon, but I have a lot of stuff I have to be available for when my coworkers are available, so I can't only work when I have help at home. I could probably move ~3 hours a day of my work into the evenings or nights without losing productivity.

The other wrinkle is that I have to go into the office still usually for 3-6 hours a week at least to work with the equipment we can't take home, so that may cause the biggest headaches with all of this. I can do some of that at off-hours, but definitely not all of that since it's based on machine availability more than people availability.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Does anyone have a tips for how to put a baby down for sleep when he only wants to be held? The longest sleep we've got our 1 week old Lenny to have in his cot is 30 mins! Unfortunately it's too hot to swaddle him up in blankets. Help! I'm terrified that I'll be going back to work in a few weeks and we'll still be stuck like this, which will not make for fun times for any of us.

They're not really sleep trainable that early. Just be consistent, and never let him fall asleep on you if at all possible. Always set him down when he gets drowsy. In 6 to 40 weeks from now it might stick and he will sleep on his own!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

overdesigned posted:

We have a kid now! One week today! He's amazing and terrifying! And has decided that instead of latching onto mom he would instead prefer to wriggle and scream directly into her nipple. So that's not ideal. But other than that things are fine! As fine as newborns go? He'll sleep in his bassinet for a few hours at a time now, which is more than he was doing in the first couple days.

Our kid does that. We think that the screams make the food taste better.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

He is 3 months old and just slept 8 hours straight at night for the first time.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

We're several days in now of consistent 7.5-8 hour sleeps in a row at night. Now if we could only get him to shift from 9-5 to like midnight to 8am our lives would be so much easier. We're both night owls and waking up at 5 is awful.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So my wife had been making fun of the baby with burping noises when he stops to burp for the last couple of weeks, and now he's started pushing the bottle away making the burping noises she makes at him when he needs to burp. It's adorable.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Any way to figure out for sure without visiting a doctor if your kid is teething? Mine is almost 4 months old now and he's been super fussy, drooling all over, sucking his hand constantly
and rubbing at his face for the last 3 or 4 days.

Internet says those are teething symptoms, but he's younger than it's expected?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My goofy little son has learned a new, very annoying game. When I'm changing his diaper or clothes he fights and wriggles and generally tries as hard as possible to not be in the new clothes.

But when my wife does the diaper or clothes changing he sits perfectly still and is calm.

When im changing him if he so much as hears her voice from the other room he will calm down immediately and let me put his new clothes on super easily.

He's also getting better hand/eye coordination and if I'm not careful he throws the wipes/diapers on floor and then cackles. It's pretty funny, but it seems weird he only does this to me and not her.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kashwashwa posted:

My wife and I have had our first child, she's 3 weeks old and I feel like my wife and I haven't had a single break... I read about how baby's may sleep 3 hours at a time to begin with, that would make our lives hilariously easy. She sleeps 1 hour max and wants to eat. At this point she wants constant stimulation while she's awake if she's not feeding.

Is it possible for a 1 month old to stand? What is happening? Why baby gets angry if I don't put her on her feet. She has the strength to hold herself up just not the balance.

My 3.5month old son also does the "gets mad if not standing up" thing, and has been doing so since he was about 2 weeks old. For him it usually saying he wants more food, or he wants to be up on our level.

For the sleep, try supplementing with more formula. 1-2oz should be enough that early to knock the kid out. Also I highly recommend taking shifts of 5-6 hours long minimum so your partner can sleep while you handle baby and vice versa. It has worked very well for us.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My son has learned a new very interesting behavior. He won't let us trim his nails when he's awake, he screams and fusses like crazy, so we've just been doing it while he is asleep.

Well, Friday he woke up to us trimming his nails for the first time and then again yesterday when we tried to finish the job and was very upset about it.

Today every time he was asleep and someone walked into the room he hid his hands under his head *without waking up or otherwise stirring* :wtc:

It's super adorable and hilarious, but also I need his nails to not be claws.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hadlock posted:

God, that would be loving traumatic as poo poo. Sleep is no longer safe; you never know if you're gonna wake up during the alien autopsy every time you go to sleep :psyduck:

He got me back by waking up at 1:30am and keeping me up til 330 by drinking multiple bottles of formula in a row. Jokes on me.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

In happy news I bought my 4mo son a blahaj from ikea, a 40 inch long blue shark. It is his absolute favorite thing in the world. He will just climb all over it and hug it and wants to be near it, it's super adorable. He's never responded this strongly to any object before, it's wonderful to watch him just giggle and squeal and have fun.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

nwin posted:

gently caress. I need to look at my old posts and see how long ago my son was sleeping like poo poo, because surprise-today he was up at 4.

gently caress me.

Mine was up at 3:30 :sob:

We let him go to bed early because he was literally falling asleep on everything and we paid the price for our hubris and easy time putting him to bed.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Benadryl also is decent at suppressing nausea, so if it's a reaction to food it can help both with the allergic reaction and with keeping food down if they've been throwing up.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

marchantia posted:

I guess I've never thought about it, but does claritin or similar drugs help with skin reactions to things, either like food allergies or poison ivy?

The answer is "it depends". There's a lot of different systems and mechanisms that fall under "food allergy". You should talk to your doctor/allergist about your specific case.

I am mildly allergic to a lot of foods, but some are worse than others. The doctor gave me a chart of foods and common pollens that share similar structures to those foods. When just the pollen or just the food is in my system it can be fine, but the combination of the two pushes me above my tolerance level for it and I get a reaction.

For example: I can eat strawberries fine in the winter, but in the summer where I live it makes my throat swell up and get scratchy because stuff blooms that's really similar to the proteins found in strawberries. So depending on the season I avoid some foods, or I can take some allergy medicines that will help with the issues I have. But you need to talk to your doctor about your specific allergies to know for sure, it's not a blanket catch-all to say that antihistamines will solve your food allergy problem.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

bee posted:

Anyway, kid talk. Any feedback on lotions that work well for eczema/dermatitis in the elbow and knee ditches? Dermaveen doesn't seem to work anymore. We've got a prescription cortisone cream that is great for flare-ups but if there's something I can use as a preventative in between, that'd be great.

Try aquaphor? Its basically just petroleum jelly with some moisturizers added in. They have a baby specific version, but I think the normal formulation is safe for children too.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So my son is starting to go to sleep fine basically every day now, and it seems like he just wants to sit there and babble to himself for a while before bed whether I'm there or not. For his nap this afternoon I put him down in the crib to go start the laundry and when I got back he was just sleep-babbling to himself without me there at all and fell asleep a couple minutes later without any intervention.

He's 5 months old. Is it a bad idea to try just getting him calm and putting him in the crib and leaving at nap and bedtimes? If he's not upset but just talks to himself am I just making it worse/slowing down the process by humming to him and sitting outside the crib while he goes to sleep?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I've been at home with my son all week because his grandparents couldn't help out like usual, so I bought him a couple of new toys to bring out when he gets bored.

Turns out I shouldn't have bothered, all he wants to play with is a plastic bottle and the packaging from a lightbulb I replaced yesterday. :doh:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Whoever mentioned the thing about the 90 minute alertness cycle last month sometime THANK YOU. Did some more reading about it and shifted 5 month old’s bedtime around to “the first time after 7 when he seems to act tired” rather than “bedtime is 730” a couple weeks ago and it has paid off in spades. Bedtime fights are much rarer now he’s actually loving sleeping well. This past week I got more sleep than I have in any week since he’s been alive by a huge margin. Thank you mysterious parenting thread poster I’m still too tired to go back and find, you are the best.

Onto the bad part though, he’s learned to throw things, like on purpose and now has a 2 track mind: eat, and GRAB AND THROW ANYTHING NEAR ME ACROSS THE ROOM. I know you can’t really teach them at this age to not throw things, but man is it tiring to have to get up every 5 minutes to rescue the toy he just threw away and now wants and is sobbing about.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Anyone know where I can get more detailed info on making toys for kids that are safe?

I want to make a prop for babbys first halloween costume and I don't want him to be able to hurt himself or choke on it, so I don't want to use wood or 3d printed plastic.

I was thinking of making a mold and pouring a food-safe silicone? But I'm not sure if that's actually safe enough if he decides to chew on it.

Any ideas or resources I should be aware of?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Little boy has gone into the "must eat toes" phase of his life. I'm getting a little worried about socks though, because he'll bite down on them and rip them off his feet then chew on them. That seems less than safe to me for leaving him in the crib alone if I can't be around.

Should I be taking his socks off before setting him down now that he's started doing this? Or just switch to clothes with built-in feet for the winter so he can't choke on the socks?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kid has a massive bladder or some poo poo, 2 days in a row he's filled a diaper before midnight after going to bed. I didn't realize the made bigger diapers for sleeping in but that got ordered next day shipping the second google told me where to buy them.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My son woke up at the same time on the clock as he did pre-time change this morning?? But it was an hour later? I wonder if he’s responding to the heat turning on in the morning instead of some other cue.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

leftist heap posted:

My 14 month old goes to bed at 7pm and gets up at 5:15am or so. The morning part sucks, my wife and I do shifts (she gets up first, then I get up and she goes back to bed), but having a bunch of time at night is very nice.

This is what we do. My wife gets up when he does, I get up a couple hours later and then she naps for 2-3 hours. Works pretty well so far because that keeps us roughly on track with our work wakeup schedules for the week on the weekend.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

We were right :yaycloud: kiddo was waking up right when the heat turned on, so by changing when the heat comes on in the morning we are getting hours more sleep a day. If we'd figured this out 2 weeks ago we could have had so much more sleep. :argh:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

How do you get your kids to read when you aren't inclined to read yourself and electronic devices are aplenty?

Do they already know how to read and just don't like to?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So I've read it's a good idea to wean the baby off needing a bottle to fall asleep, but is it bad to let him have an empty one to suck on at bedtime?

He'll just grab onto the bottle and jam it in his face when he's tired and then pass out a couple minutes later most nights even if the bottle is empty and it makes bedtime much easier to handle.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Koivunen posted:

The main concern with bottles in bed is having the milk or formula sit in their mouth all night, because it can lead to tooth decay. If he’s sleeping better just with sucking on an empty bottle for a few minutes, that sounds like a pretty alright strategy.

I breastfed my daughter to sleep every night, then at 15 months she decided on her own that she didn’t need that any more. Maybe one day your kid will suddenly be fine with not needing anything in his mouth.

BadSamaritan posted:

I don’t know whether it’s good or bad really, but I used to nurse my baby to sleep for naps bedtime and she just kind of slowly grew out of it and learned how to settle down. At 18mo we’re totally done with nursing and don’t use a bottle in the routine. Bed went first, naps took longer (and wfh during covid didn’t help with that). I guess I just want to provide a counterexample to ‘don’t do this for sleep it’s bad!!!’.

Thank you for the advice!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

He's not even 6 months old yet and is apparently saving his teeth to all come in at once, so seems like there's very low risk of him sucking on the empty bottle for now.

Plus he drops it the moment he falls asleep. It's hilarious, just rolls out of his mouth onto the crib mattress.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My son has reached a new awful milestone this weekend: he can now reach the entire table on his high chair and if I space and leave a container of food on it while I'm feeding him it goes right onto the floor or all over him.

He is especially cranky if we give him green vegetables. He loves carrots but hates green things apparently.

On the other hand it's super easy now to tell that he's done with solids and wants a bottle because he'll just reach out and grab the formula when he's ready. He still can't quite feed himself when hes sitting up, but if he's laying back he can now and it's so cute.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Anyone have resources for teaching babby to spoon-feed himself?

If I hand him a full spoon he can get it to his mouth easy and eat everything on it.

He then gets confused and won't let go of the spoon to do a new scoop out of the bowl....

Also on a related issue the doctor said he needs to eat a full container of prunes (or as much of one as possible) as a single meal to help with his pooping issues and he really loving hates prunes so how can I get him more used to them so he'll stop being so constipated?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

We’re about to spend the next 10 days straight at home with babby because my in laws who usually help with babysitting decided to invite relatives over for thanksgiving...from the other side of the country. So we’re staying the hell away from that whole mess and going back as late as we can after their potential exposure and not having our works suffer too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My son definitely grew again in the last couple of days. We've been keeping his food containers in the same spot on his high chair's table out of his reach and last night his arms were long enough he just grabbed a whole container of carrots and poured them all over the table, himself, and the floor.

Nowhere is safe now. He didn't look any bigger, but he used to strain against the straps to still be ~1/2" short of grabbing the foods, and he barely leaned forward at all to grab them last night.