Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does anyone have tips for raising a kid multilingually? I grew up speaking french and english, my wife grew up speaking kazakh and russian, and we really want the little one to come up knowing all of them. All of them get chirped around our home so I guess it won't be that hard, but the ideal is fluency in all four. And I grew up getting shat on for a french accent (in the USA), she's an immigrant who got shat on then and even more now, so we're also trying to avoid them having a non-native english accent when they go to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This thread makes me both more and less terrified about having a kid. How did you folks get through??

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This thread makes me both more and less terrified about having a kid. How did you folks get through??

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Had like an hour long conversation with my wife today about our abusive dads. And now I'm terrified of continuing the obvious cycle. Part of my brain is like "dude, the fact you talk about this sort if thing is really good and you're going to be a better dad for it, with the hottest most badass mom at your side to boot" and the other half is "you're going to be poo poo."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hello it was suspected before but now confirmed my wife is carrying twins

A Bad King posted:

It's also really fun to watch language development in person and in real time.

We are a bilingual house, with English and Russian spoken at a 30/70 split between them. He understands what we tell him in either language, but he defaults to "what is easier to vocalize," every time.

I learned through him that English is simpler than Slavic languages for toddlers. He asks us for the ball when we say, Papa has a new ball for you, in Russian. The Russian word is two syllables with a "chik," at the end -- sounds like work, no thanks!

It's all about what is the shortest, easiest, and funnest way (in his mind) to get his point across. We all know some sounds are more fun to make. Kaka over poop. Sahsah over sushka. Paaaah.....PA, instead of just a boring Papa. He refuses to say give me, he invented his own method: "Ah goohLagoohLaGoooh!"

Language. How did we even get this far.

oh hey that's literally us, and one part I'm really excited for.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Spending the rest of our saturday thinking of twinny names that are cute but not gimmicky, no rhymes, no Laurelin and Telperion no matter how much I want those.

It helps that my wife wants to keep the russian tripartite system, so they will both be x Edgarovna Hoa instead of also having to think of middle names. I was actually against that bit till she wisely pointed out who was the woman and who was the man going "no actually your culture is misogynistic you loving lady"

This is def baby poo poo to you veterans but I'm treasuring this memory of throwing names out there before the names turn into human slugs bullying me in five months or so. It's so scary also I can't wait to meet them :3

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Koivunen posted:

My daughter goes back to daycare tomorrow and my son the next day. I love my kids but holy poo poo. Between all of us getting covid at different times, we’ve been in quarantine for 26 days. Thank god I had a little help.

I got covid bad when I lived in New York, like I collapsed from lack of oxygen and was out of the world for a couple hours, and now my wife is flight attending pregnant in the no-mask let er rip era of this dumb pandemic and I'm terrified she and our babies will catch covid and die from some dipshit on a plane and I realize it's irrational but also oh my god i'm going to have a heart attac

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dick Ripple posted:

I was under the impression that the fetus cannot catch Covid in utero? That does not mean your wife getting it can have secondary harmful effects... Does the airline have a good policy on maternity leave? Here it is against the law for pregnant women to work after 6 months.

She's getting a whole 6-10 weeks of leave after the kids come out and the airline is being really elusive with us for what if anything is ok while she is pregnant.

I'm probably overreacting and she and the kids will be fine, covid doesn't hurt fetuses or young kids typically, but also, gently caress, I'm in love with my wife and I do not like seeing her stressed or in pain. This poo poo is hard and I'm doing the easy part.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That is a perfect baby. Is it normal that right up until my wife got confirmed pregnant I was like "no one cares about your stupid baby" and now I love baby pictures? I'm a nasty hypocrite and I want to hold the burrito baby.

Does anyone have have advice for teens? My wife's cousin moved in with us after the current war in Ukraine started, and I feel really poo poo for getting obsessed with our biological kids. We found out my wife was pregnant like one week after he moved over, and one of his best friends loving died in the war. He's doing relatively great, but it's obvious he's stressed. And he's got another few months before his student visa allows him to go to school or work. I really don't want to neglect him for our biological kids. We were close before he even moved. But also, it's really hard to pay attention to him while my wife is pregnant. I married that lady, she's my absolute perfect ideal favourite most incredible person I've ever met. With my new favourite people inside her in some sick multiplication job.

I had lovely parents. I really don't want be a poo poo adoptive dad. How the gently caress do I be a good dad to a stressed out bored 18 year old? I loving love this dude.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We're watching my niece-in-law who's four. I'm having a blast and excited, but also, even more terrified. This every day forever and there will be two. And I have to be dad instead of cool uncle?

Watched Frozen, Frozen 2, and now, Frozen again while playing with legos. Had to supervise taking a poo poo. Why is this so endearing?

Thank god I like cheesy disney songs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I already know the answer is "you are an adult and she is four, law down the law" but drat I need advice saying no to our niece. All she ate today, so far, was a giant pile of onion rings with blue cheese dressing, and some leftover atchafalaya. All's I could think was "drat little lady, that's advanced taste for someone your age." She's so cool :3 But she's with us till she goes home to start kindergarten, and I feel like she needs like... some protein? Maybe some fibre? Same goes for basically everything with us. I can't help but let her stay up playing until midnight. I cheerfully cuss with her. It's a problem.

Related, when my wife first got pregnant I asked about raising kids multilingually- we both grew up bilingual in separate sets of languages, and preserving that in our incoming twins is non-negotiable. Niece is raising one of the downsides. She's fluent as well as toddlers can be in three languages. But this means she gives 0 shits for how forceful english swears come off. We couldn't care less about her talking about shits and going "gently caress" when she trips. But she refuses to accept that this is going to get her in trouble when she starts school this september.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

External Organs posted:

It seems my state is hell bent on banning abortion even in cases of rape or incest. Today's a weird day to have a sweet little girl toddler. Unsure how we will explain these things to her when she's older.

Four year old niece was around when we got the Roe v Wade news and it was weird. She's clued in on gender, sex, and patriarchy as best as she can be at four but she can't fully comprehend it. She's really fascinated with my wife's being pregnant*. She couldn't understand why auntie would get pregnant because she wanted to, but cry at other women being refused their own rights. It's hard to temporary dad this whole thing because like... I'm the guy. I have the easy part of this. And my wife is out more nights on her job bc we now have our own incoming twins to deal with (flight attendant so she has to leave a few nights a week) so I'm doing a lot of stay-at-home dadding. She has to have it explained because four. But it's rough.

Good ish news- I've convinced her that she likes pizza, so it's another thing she'll freaking eat. But she's too obsessed so now if it's not pizza it's "why not just order another pizza?"

*She loves holding my wife's belly when the twins kick, and usually yells "little sisters, when are you coming out? I'm ready to meet you!" and similar in russian at them and it's adorable. Same. She'll be a good big sis. I love this little gal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

wizzardstaff posted:

Our kid started this phase a while back and our sleep-deprived parentbrains came up with a really good idea: one of us would stay in her room with her as she fell asleep.

Oh did I say it was a good idea? Whoops I meant it loving sucks, six months later my wife now sleeps every night in the kid's bed with her and counts it as lucky when she thrashes herself to sleep in under an hour.

I'm paranoid we've hosed up our niece. She's generally a badass for her age, happily uses the grown up toilet, gets excited for tooth brushing and baths, chefs kiss of tiny people. But she's gotten used to sleeping in our bed. We've got a tiny apartment and a teen sleeping on the couch, where else could she go? But she's got a room she sleeps in back home, and on top of that, bedtime is weird af here because my wife and I work in the aviation industry so our hours are nonsense. So now she's on the no-regular-sleep schedule. Yeah we can play until auntie gets home at 1am, why not????

She's going to start kindergarten in a month, and I feel like her going home with what we've done to her plus that extra stress is going to give her parents hell and I feel so bad.

How tf do we fix this when there's no guarantee either of us can be around to give her a proper bedtime? We've got a teen but he doesn't deserve and frankly can't be that person.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My twin girls were born premature a few days ago. It's been lots of no sleep splitting time between the NICU and my wife's hospital room. We got to touch them for the first time today and it's the greatest feeling ever. The doctors say everyone will be fine, and they'll be ready to snuggle soon. And then go home. Not that long ago I didn't like, want, or expect kids, and now a tiny slug burrito person squeezing my hand feels like the best thing that could possibly exist in the world.

No question I suppose I just can't wait to hold them and I'm counting the hours.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 17, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Incredibly jet lagged, wife out of town, and after like 36 hours everyone is down and comfy so hooooo boy it's time to try for a rem cycle. Rain starts to hit, great, comfy white noise

Nah, twenty minutes in MRRRRROOOOOOOOWWWw nyyyyyyyyaaaaahhhhhhh mrrrrrrrrr *cat dish noise*, gently caress now the babies are awake.

Never knew insomnia until How Make Babby Sleep.

And yet I love them more than life so I will just slowly go insane I guess.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

You know, years ago when I was a drinkin' on weekdays, wake-and-bake fiend I don't think I ever would have guessed one day I'd be excitedly waking up at 6:30 am to make cinnamon buns with my daughter. But here we are, and it's great. The stages of our lives, man.

I get up in the middle of the night for work, and I'm dreaming of the days when our tiny yelling slugs can use human sentences and watch me cook for them and have food opinions.

Seriously though how do you sleep with two infants

someone please send help. i'm happy but also, oh god, it's the worst best thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Our twins have slept the same schedule for three days in a row despite constant, vampire schedule parent swaps, and it feels like a badass accomplishment.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Olanphonia posted:

My son ate 6 deviled eggs this morning and I sent him, reeking of eggs, to daycare like a timebomb. I feel very sorry for them when he eventually detonates into his diaper.

Your son has good taste.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is it a good sign if kids who can’t talk yet have mastered meowing back at the cats

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
some child dipshit slapped one of my infant kids for being annoying, as babies are, and my niece is now in trouble for immediately turning, charging, and decking the little motherfucker straight into having a nosebleed

how do i explain that it is better to solve our problems with words than with fists, but also, hell yes, that's the correct instinct, don't let people bully younger kids, and she's a badass who does not need to have regrets

truth be told she did nothing wrong imo

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 9, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anybody got advice for being a literal deadbeat dad?

Like my dad peaced out when I was a little kid and I’m terrified of being the same kind of rear end in a top hat now that I have kids.

Except I can’t really make a choice bc I’ve got terminal cancer and it’s going to be a when, not an if

I just want these girls to remember me and know I didn’t leave on purpose and I loved them so loving much

Currently got Svyeta on my leg and Nastya on my chest sleeping making me feel very numb and awkward but I’m just so happy to have them. I’m almost certainly ashes fertilizing a tree before they get to elementary school and I just want them to remember me and this and know I didn’t want to go

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Oh my god having breakfast with my niece in law and she’s officially the first person to actually be able to tell my daughters apart besides me and their mother/my spouse

How the gently caress is this grade schooler able to pick them out when like mom/mom in law/dad in law/sister in law/aunt/bestest friends/ no one besides us can tell them apart without colour coding?? They are small and identical but tbh already have personalities. 95% of it is « loves attention, bright colours, and boobs » (and hell same) but the 5% is everything.

My heart is breaking in a good way

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
does there ever come a point in dadding where you don't feel like a slapstick clownish failure ?

asking for a friend who may or may not be me

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gophermaster posted:

Sleep training is about consistency and not negotiating with terrorists.

we've been letting our twins just sleep in the bed with us since we moved, and I feel like the day will rapidly approach that we desperately regret this choice

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My kids are mostly kinda sorta expressing their own personalities, kinda got the hang of walking and talking, but despite being identical twins, one is in love with the idea of mom being pregnant again, loves the poo poo out of listening to mom's stomach, is just fascinated at BABY SISTER, and the other is loving pissed like we are trying to replace her with a third, superior kid.

How do I explain that I love incoming new kid, but that doesn't make me love you any less ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Today one of my kids smacked her jaw pretty bad (by toddler standards she’s fine) on a chair and started crying for dad, and her sister broke into this crazy evil joker laugh and kept asking to see the grisly wound.

Is it normal to raise tiny psychopaths