Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
My mother and sister in laws had trouble producing so we thought my wife would have issues. She produces but not enough to feed our chunker. We supplement with formula, mostly during the night. Our daughter just a bit over 7 weeks and has gained a bit over 3 lbs, birth weight was just under 9 lbs. My wife feels bad that she can't provide enough but I keep telling her don't fret about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
It's amazing how many other mothers will say something to my wife about breast feeding. Our daughter has a lip tie which has made it difficult to latch and painful for my wife when she does. As a result she's been pumping and we've been supplementing with formula. At 12 weeks, she pumped last night that produced about an ounce after 30 minutes of pumping. Several of her co-workers get on her about stopping because they had such an easy time, etc. So my wife feels bad that our daughter is going to grow up messed up because she didn't breastfeed. I keep reminding her that the science behind formula is really good and a ton of kids are raised on formula that are normal.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah we're not too worried about it. It's just the "formula shaming" that people will do. Like it's none of your drat business. We've been supplementing for a long time and our daughter is in the 75th percentile for weight and 90th for height so she's healthy.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We've been binging Workin' Moms on Netflix. This poo poo is too real.

It's really interesting to watch our daughter as she learns and discovers. One day she would clap here and there then half way through the day she's clapping constantly. She also recently discovered the bouncer and loves it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Suggestions on getting our 6 month old transitioned to the crib? She has pretty much slept in a bassinet by our bed, she had slept in a pack and play in our room as well. But the last few nights we've tried moving her into her crib, room across the way and it has been howling for minutes on end with nothing we'd normally due able to calm her down. She slept today at the daycare in a crib without much fuss but tonight it was another story. We're trying the bassinet in the room with the crib, in case it's something about being in a different room.

For songs that calm her down, she could be wailing and if I put on Painkiller by Judas Priest it's instant calming. It's the strangest thing.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

wizzardstaff posted:

I thought this was half a joke, but here I am rocking my two-month-old asleep to DragonForce and drat if it doesn’t work. She was crying when the song started.

The video for Painkiller even works for our daughter. It's black and white and flashy. If she sees the video she calms down pretty much instantly.

The bassinet in the other room worked. Though right now she woke herself up coughing. I'm also wondering, she's had a sinus congestion for a while now, if sleeping on her back is hard because of drainage. The doctor said it doesn't sound like a cold and gave us some Claritin. It's funny she got her 6 month shots the other day and cried for about 10 seconds but we try to use the snot sucker and she's goes crazy.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We've had some excellent luck with the transition to the crib. I think it's been 5 days now of sleeping in the crib with no issues. It also looks like our daughter sleeps more soundly in the crib as well, she slept from ~7:30 to 6:30 this morning.

Now I've been sleeping terribly because I miss the white noise machine. :lol:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Alterian posted:

Its not a big deal if their legs hang out. I still use it for my 8 month old if I need to take him outside in the yard with me. He now has an exersaucer that he spends a lot more time in now. Like one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Exer...147&sr=1-6&th=1

We started our daughter in one of these around 5-5.5 months. The first time in it I swear she bounced/jumped for 45 minutes straight. Now it's just an efficient way to get to her to poop if she hasn't in a few days. :lol:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Alterian posted:

My husband and I get up around 4am every day and go to bed around 9pm. Our baby usually wakes up around 4ish for a feeding (sometimes 3:30, or 5) and settles back to sleep after a while so we have a good 2 hours of non-child time to ourselves. Having kids has made us morning people.

Coffee is pretty great.

I've always been a morning person, that 2 hours alone in the morning is great to get stuff done so when I get to work I can dive straight in. My wife on the other hand was always a night owl. Our daughter follows in my footsteps, you could set a clock to when she wakes up, almost 6 on the dot every day. It has turned my wife into a morningish person as well. Before she used to struggle to get to work at 9 not she's there just a bit after 8.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
How do you deal with separation anxiety? I was traveling last week and again this week. My daughter was super clinging last weekend. To the point of her crying constantly if I wasn't holding her. We tried the FaceTime like stuff and she seems ok with it but tonight she was fussy/crying the entire time we were talking via video.

I'd be curious to know if they are able to distinguish between real and video at 8 months.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We found a great daycare that provides food but not formula. They take pictures of what the breakfast, lunch, snacks are and our daughter gets some great food.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Our 11 month old has decided hitting in our and the dogs' faces is a fun thing to do. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? We tell her gentle with the dogs and take her hand show her what gentle is. For hitting us we just tell her no. But drat if that kid ain't strong.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
My daughter will stop crying on a dime if I start up Painkiller by Judas Priest. She loves that song and Superfreak by Rick James. We have a very strange child.

Speaking of which, she just turned one. So we've been giving her milk with some of her formula to get her used to milk. However, all poops are sour smelling. Like should be classified as biological warfare. Is that normal when you start introducing milk?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
The only thing that screws up our daughter's sleep is not going to bed at her regular time. For some reason my mother-in-law refuses to understand that if she doesn't go to bed at her normal time she wakes up either several times during the night of extremely early.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Any recommendations on how to curb hitting? Our 1 year old finds it quite funny to smack us in the face. We try to ignore it when she does it but lately it seems she's aiming for our eyes. Luckily she's only hit once at daycare but it's something we obviously want to curb as quickly as possible.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Our daughter, ~13 months, does not like milk. We try to give it to her all the time but pushes it away. She does drink a ton of water. I'm the same way, drink a bunch of water and don't really like milk. We've been supplementing milk with things like cheese, yogurt, etc.

She's also a garbage disposal. This kid will not turn away any kind of food. I hope this lasts.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
My wife is taking our daughter on her first plane flight in a few hours. Hopefully it'll go well. She packed a ton of stuff to keep her busy.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

devmd01 posted:

Sending good vibes to her, traveling with kids/infants is rough. About a year and a half ago we had to travel down to see my dad before he passed, at the time they were 4 and twin 1 year olds. The double takes we got from people on our layovers were hilarious. Dealing with car seats, stroller, and everything else was a logistical nightmare.

Coincidentally that was pretty much the final thing that convinced me to start medication, because as we were driving in to the airport I could feel my anxiety ramping up like a motherfucker.

Thanks, they made it safely with my daughter falling asleep during the descent and landing. My wife said there was a bunch of crying but our daughter likes to move around and is not used to being confined unless it's her car seat. We'll see how she does when we both fly back with her on Monday, hopefully she'll be a bit better with both of us there.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We've had our first ear infection with our daughter. We had been battling a fever for a few days and took her into the doctor this morning. Apparently, we caught the very beginning of the ear infection. At least with the antibiotics and ibuprofen she's slept for most of today.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
That's what prompted us to take her in. She would scream at us for pretty much everything and our daughter is not quiet. Lol. After visiting the doctor and getting her on antibiotics and ibuprofen she's almost back to her normal self. Slept through the night for the most part, allowing us to get some sleep.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

Kids are bottomless food holes.

This is our daughter. Kid is like a garbage can and will eat just about anything.

Also, everyone always mentions how great kids are but not what destructive assholes they are. She figured out how to remove the backing to our aquarium and was just tearing it to pieces because reasons.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I made some butter chicken in the instant pot, for my wife and myself. Our daughter had a taste of it she tossed all of her goldfish off her high chair and cried for more. I was quite surprised because it was a tad spicy.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo are thermometers inaccurate. According to our forehead one, our daughter's temperature would be 109, ear is 104 and armpit is 102. Waiting to hear back from the lab if it's flu or something else. Tons of fun feeling helpless while she screams because she's in pain. Motrin/Tylenol aren't bringing temp down too much either.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah that's last resort. She didn't like armpit, which was enough to gauge our head/ear thermometer. It's miserable because she can't tell us what's bothering her.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We found some videos on youtube, Dave and Ava, that out 18 month old loves. It's basically the same nursery rhyme every time. I'm ready to shoot myself but if she stays calm and chill because it's on I'm all for it. She also loves watching me play Animal Crossing.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I made blackout curtains, before our daughter was born, with white blackout material. We don't have any issue with it being to bright in the room.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We were sitting here watching TV and one of our dogs suddenly got up because, I guess she sharted herself. I let her our and when I turn around our daughter had picked up the small piece of poop. She was also very happy picking it up. Which then my wife was freaking out and yelling oh no. I'm sitting here laughing my rear end off. All this happened with the backdoor open and our neighbors sitting outside, who have 2 kids slightly older than our daughter. Luckily, when I went outside to get Janie the husband asked what that was about. I told him our daughter picked up poop, he asked if she threw it, luckily she did not. I am still laughing my rear end off about it.

This was a laugh needed in this quarantined times.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Wow and I thought Dave and Ava were bad. Our daughter will come running in if she hears the theme song being played. Only time she runs that fast...

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Here are the things my three year old is currently doing:

1. refuses to sleep alone, will wake up screaming 3+ times a night if you try

Our 20 month old daughter just started doing this. This morning she woke up and screamed at probably 3 different octaves. Our neighbors probably think we were murdering her, which throwing her to be raised by the foxes here did cross my mind.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I think if I was younger, I'd be ok with having a second child. I was almost 39 when we had our daughter and the sleepless nights have affected me a lot more than when I was in grad school going with little sleep. Though the advantage now is I can laugh stupid stuff off and not make a big deal about stuff. Fingers cross, but so far when we say are you ready for bed, she does the all done sign, and runs to the gate ready to go upstairs. Hopefully that will last a lot longer.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

BadSamaritan posted:

Our one year old has started groaning theatrically when picking things off the floor and I’m pretty sure that was 100% learned from us being tired and sore lmao

Our daughter does that. It's great because she does it for really lightweight stuff. I only groan when I pick her gigantic rear end up. She was in the 90s percentile for height and weight. She's been int 2T stuff for at least 3 months.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Our daughter loves Dave and Ava. She doesn't like Cocomelon but be warned all the videos are basically the same.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We're lucky our daughter hasn't done any poop smearing yet. Though one of the dogs did poop and she picked it up and was showing it to us as if it was the greatest price she has ever seen. My wife was freaking out and I was almost on the floor laughing so hard.

We have been dealing with her waking up multiple times in the middle of the night for months now. She usually wakes up between midnight and 1 and will need about 20 minutes of us trying to calm her down before sleeping till morning. Just wish we could figure out what the hell is going on.

She's also not really wanting to eat dinner. We put anything on her plate, except grapes and some other fruits, she'll have meltdown. Sometimes we can get her to eat the food if we put grapes down first and then the food.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Our daughter is cutting her first of the last set of molars. Which explains why she's been a psychopathic rear end in a top hat for the last while. One day I dream of getting a full night of uninterrupted sleep. Though she did sleep through the night a few days ago and my wife and I were wondering if she was still alive.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone have recommendations about dealing with nightmares? Our 20 month old has been experiencing a lot of them the last few weeks. I swear she had a night terror one night, she was gripping her bed really tightly and saying stop it while thrashing. My wife has been sleeping in the room with to help reassure our daughter but obviously not the best sleeping arrangement.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We've been lucky the last 3 nights with our daughter sleeping through. She had 2 of her last set of molars burst through which we assume it was her problem. Last night was interesting as she didn't want a book read to her. She wanted to go straight in the crib and wanted to read herself. She did bounce around some playing with her toys but eventually got to sleep.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Well decided to check out Bluey with our daughter and she's into it. Much better than hearing the same Dave and Ava song for the 5th time this hour.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

teacup posted:

Not be an annoying thread bumper but we are going crazy here - anyone been in a similar position? Would love to have any tips that have worked :/

Are you me? We're in the same boat. I've been up since 2:30 this morning because she woke up in the middle of the night. You could set a clock by her waking up. I wish I could share any secrets.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We've been going through all of the episodes and man some of them just tug on those heart strings. My wife said Rug Island got her into tears. It's a great show and definitely want to be like the dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We are experiencing something similar. Our daughter will sleep to about 2 but then wake up every few minutes. If we're lucky she'll sleep to 7:30 or so. Two night ago we had a hell of a thunderstorm, it woke my wife and I up because it rattled all of the windows. She slept soundly the entire night and didn't even budge with the thunderstorm raging. I'm at 40 and it kills me, our daughter is ~22 months.