Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
My daughter is about 8 1/2 months right now and we've been trying to get her to eat solids since 6 months, twice a day. She is pretty much completely uninterested in allowing anything in her mouth. We've tried purees (carrot, sweet potato, apple, avocado), mashed up bananas and avocado, big pieces of banana/avocado/scrambled egg/butternut a la baby-led-weaning, rice cereal, oat cereal, and all sorts of combinations of the above.

She loves picking up food, smashing it up in her hands, and painting it everywhere, but has never once put it in her own mouth. In the last 2 1/2 months, she's only had like two days where she ate more than a bite or two. It's super frustrating because we were so excited about feeding her real food and helping her learn about flavors and textures and building her palate. Reeeeaaalllly hoping we turn a corner on this sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I had a meltdown this morning. My girl just turned a year a few weeks ago and my wife and I are both working from home. Kiddo has never been a very good napper, but she's always been a pretty good nightime sleeper - down at 7, usually up at 4 for a feed, then down until 6:30 or so... Some kind of regression happening right now though. Naps are down to 35 minutes, like clockwork. She's waking up for her nighttime feed and then getting back up at like 5, before I've even fallen back asleep. I'm losing it. Getting nothing done at work, awake at 4 almost every day for weeks. Someone reassure me that I will survive this.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

nachos posted:

I can’t speak to the naps but we stopped the night feeds at around 7-8 months and let our daughter cry however long she needed to before she put herself back to sleep. Sometimes it took an hour but she eventually figured it out. I never took her out of bed until the proper awake time, somewhere around 6-7am.

life is killing me posted:

You’ll survive it. Currently having sleep issues with my almost 3 year-old who had a 4mo sleep regression with a vengeance. We got through it and will get through the current sleep issues. It sucks because it’s hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel there especially when you’re so sleep-deprived. But at a year old, your kid may not need a nighttime feeding? We were happy to go to solids when ours was an infant because we thought it helped with his wake ups having a full belly and not getting hungry in the night. You could also try a dream feed by waking the kiddo up before going to bed yourself, feeding, putting back down (the idea is that they are kind of half-awake during the feeding and maybe not as hard to put down) and going to bed. Could buy you an hour or two?

We're still doing a night feed because she is a skinny little thing and it has been a constant battle to keep her gaining weight. Every time we think we've hit a groove and take our eyes off the ball for like a week she just stops gaining or even loses a little. It was a big relief when she finally started eating solid foods because she actually pushed up above her percentile a little bit, but that's since leveled off. When she just gets up for a half hour to feed and goes right back down until morning it's not a big deal - figure it's a good chance to get a few extra calories in her.

in_cahoots posted:

Is she down to one nap a day? When we moved from 2-1 it helped nighttime sleep as well.

She's doing 2/day. There was a good couple months where she was getting 2x consistent 1:10 naps, but it's really gone to hell in the last couple weeks. She finally had a good night's sleep last night though and I feel like a different person.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

truavatar posted:

:words:
horrible sleep regression
:words:

Well, whatever was going on seems to be over after almost 3 weeks of hell. She's finally sleeping until around 6:45 again and her naps have recovered to being around 1:10... even had a couple record-setting 1:45 naps. I've slept better the last two nights than I have in a month.

She just had to watch me break I guess.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Sending vibes. We just went though that and came out the other side after three lovely weeks. From what I read it doesn’t usually last that long though. Hang in there.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Kid woke up at 11:15 and didn’t go back down until 2:30. She’s up again at 4:30 an I’m losing my god drat mind.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Sarah posted:

Sleep training

Was there a particular method that you used?

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Hadlock posted:

At what point should baby be eating solid food without it being a massive struggle

Right now baby is coming up on 6 months and resists sweet potato puree to the point that we're worried about giving her feeding aversion

But we were out on the patio the other day having mojitos, and she just couldn't stuff enough of the mint sprigs in her mouth (but not eat them)

We started trying solids at 6 months and couldn’t get her to eat more than a bite or two at a time until 9 months. We tried everything... finger foods, purée, etc... was incredibly frustrating. One day she just started going for it though. :shrug:

E: best advice I heard was that it’s not your job to make them eat... it’s your job to offer a variety of good healthy food... it’s their job to do the eating.

truavatar fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 20, 2021

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

life is killing me posted:

Any tips on waking/keeping awake a 2.5wk old infant while they feed? This girl is waking up every 45 minutes to eat because she’s ravenous but she’s hungry because she can’t stop falling asleep on her mom’s boob and it’s very difficult to rouse her.

We patted the feet and belly and head with a cool damp washcloth. Seemed to work for a few minutes of awake time usually.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I'm losin' it again. My girl is just past 18 months and started daycare for the first time about a month and a half ago. Around the same time she finally dropped her middle-of-the-night wakeups/feeds and for awhile was doing well with 7:30 bedtime, 6:00-6:30 wakeup. But over the last few weeks she's just been consistently waking up between 4:30 and 5:15 am. Won't go back down for anything.. just screams. We've tried earlier bedtime, later bedtime, letting her cry it out, sleepwave/sleep training (checking in on her every 5-10 minutes), nightlight, no nightlight, and everything else we can think of. Nothing is working and I'm gonna lose my marbles soon.

Has anyone else had this happen... a just, all of a sudden, 4:45am wakeups, every day!! What do I doooooooo....

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Yeah, she's definitely had a few new teeth coming in... she goes down fine, and naps fine though... just wakes up super early. I've started going to bed at 9:00pm just so I can handle the day if I'm up at 4:30..

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Dobbs_Head posted:

This is our household rhythm. Our 2 year old is asleep by 8:30, up at 5:30. It’s totally doable. The flip side is that she take 3 hour naps during the day. Just dehumanize yourself and face the morning.

Thanks, I hate it!

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

External Organs posted:

The toddler has been in a crib in her own room for the whole weekend.

She slept 11 hours each night :eyepop:

I am amazed. It was a little bittersweet, but it's so nice to not have to tiptoe around our own bedroom.

In other news I found out that my friends four year old trolls him by randomly saying "hey dad, I've got a secret for you," and then he gets closer and in his ear she whispers "fox news."

lmao this is amazing

Also, this:

truavatar posted:

I'm losin' it again. My girl is just past 18 months and started daycare for the first time about a month and a half ago. Around the same time she finally dropped her middle-of-the-night wakeups/feeds and for awhile was doing well with 7:30 bedtime, 6:00-6:30 wakeup. But over the last few weeks she's just been consistently waking up between 4:30 and 5:15 am. Won't go back down for anything.. just screams. We've tried earlier bedtime, later bedtime, letting her cry it out, sleepwave/sleep training (checking in on her every 5-10 minutes), nightlight, no nightlight, and everything else we can think of. Nothing is working and I'm gonna lose my marbles soon.

Has anyone else had this happen... a just, all of a sudden, 4:45am wakeups, every day!! What do I doooooooo....

Seems to finally be running its course after like 2 months. She slept til 5:30 the last two nights and this morning she actually fell back asleep until 6:00. Wonder if it had to do with forgetting to turn her monitor on last Thursday night - I woke up naturally at 6 and was shocked I hadn't heard her - turns out she'd been screaming her poor little head off from whenever she woke up until then. Maybe for the best though??? Anyway, just glad to be seeing a light at the end of this particular tunnel.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
My 19 month old just started daycare 2 months ago and has had a cold on and off for pretty much the entire time. Just got denied on her 18 month well visit because of the cold and rescheduled for two weeks when she will, inevitably, have another cold. How do I ever get her seen?!

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

BadSamaritan posted:

If I put enough sour cream on her food, my toddler will accidentally eat at least a little of whatever else is on her plate through her quest for sour cream.

:same:

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

truavatar posted:

My 19 month old just started daycare 2 months ago and has had a cold on and off for pretty much the entire time. Just got denied on her 18 month well visit because of the cold and rescheduled for two weeks when she will, inevitably, have another cold. How do I ever get her seen?!

took her in for a sick visit - ear infection... bleh... hopefully the antibiotics clear things up by her well visit in two weeks

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I'm afraid to google wtf cartoon dog and cartoon cat are...

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Tom Smykowski posted:

My kid has been waking up extra early for the past week like he's anticipating making daylight savings even worse :ughh:

:same:

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
We've had a lot of luck with this:
https://www.babybjorn.com/bathroom/potty-chair/

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

obi_ant posted:

My kid 2 1/2 has decided she is scared of the dark now. Any suggestions for a nice night light? We currently just use a lamp.

We use the Hatch Rest (1st gen). You can set it to any color, any brightness. Has a built in white noise generator, and you can program it. So we do a soft purple light with white noise during sleep time and then switch to a brighter orange light with very little noise when it's time to wake up. Really helped when the kiddo was waking up at like 5am every morning to teach her that it was still sleep time.

https://www.hatch.co/rest?gclid=Cj0KCQiAweaNBhDEARIsAJ5hwbf72ZeIOngFpcRf2yJC2h3DSJ6tlrwkbnxmnDqmNdBSAUgaIvavKLoaAqCQEALw_wcB

I think first gen better than second gen because it's controlled via bluetooth by your phone, not wifi, so still works if your internet goes out.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

extravadanza posted:

Are you sure it doesn't work when the internet goes down? Generally Wifi based devices that connect to phone apps will still work as long as they are both connected to the same network.
I'm not sure - it was something people complained about in reviews though.

extravadanza posted:

I actually prefer the 2nd gen over the 1st because my Wifi network reaches well into my backyard so I can do yardwork with my phone listening for the kid, but bluetooth doesn't reach quite as far.
Yeah, 2nd gen has an audio monitor, which is a nice perk. I wasn't sweating that though since I already use a video monitor.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Quarterroys posted:

I am hearing the Encanto soundtrack in my sleep at this point.

Good soundtrack, but man, my 6 yo daughter has been obsessed the last few weeks.

You and me both.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Silent Linguist posted:

Does anyone have any tips for a 1-year-old who flips out when he’s hungry? It’s especially bad after we get back from daycare—as soon as we walk in the door, he’s standing by his high chair crying. I feel like I have to rush to throw something in the microwave and feed him immediately.

We’ve done the obvious like give him some cheerios, but that only works until the Cheerios are gone (10 seconds).

I always brought a sippy cup of milk with me for her to drink on the ride home. Usually made the gap between getting home and having dinner a little smoother.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Hadlock posted:

So I guess, how much of an impact do you think that kids bad behavior at their parent's house is going to impact your kid? I mean maybe I'm reading the wrong stuff into it but if it's just bad behavior at his mom's house, it's entirely possible that his behavior isn't going to rub off on your kid. Does he act out when playing at your house

Maneki Neko posted:

We later found out he set up something similar with our youngest daughter that he called the "naked game" and was deceitful about it to his mom.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Just Offscreen posted:

I often feel like I am a poo poo parent.

Parenting Megathread: I often feel like I am a poo poo parent.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

King Hong Kong posted:

... They work infrequently enough in the show that I have no clue what, if anything, they do...
Bandit is an archeologist - he digs up bones. Chili is airport security - *sniff sniff*.

Rufio posted:

I read an article criticizing Bluey for setting high expectations for parenting but I seriously thought it was some kind of joke or troll. But here we are and goons think they need to live up to the standards of cartoon dogs.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Nybble posted:

Hi Parenting thread! Just found this thread, and perfect timing with a 2.2 year old and another on the way.... I’m a bit worried about what it’s gonna be like when our attention is split with the second one around.

- Does one of her pieces go flying and hit the sibling?
Yup!

quote:

- how do we react?
Poorly, if I'm anything to go by!

quote:

- Will she be able to calm her self down without hurting herself?
At least, like, 80% of the time!

quote:

- Maybe this is something that she eventually grows out of?
I sure fuckin hope so!

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Kolodny posted:

I think that’s entirely developmentally appropriate. It’s part of the transition from being an infant with effectively binary feelings to a toddler with a whole menu to pick from. Right now she’s struggling with identifying what she’s feeling and how to react. To drag out the analogy, part of what you can do is help her to recognize what her menu of feelings is, and understand when she needs to take a break.

I have two kids, my oldest (4yo) wasn’t as much of a stereotypical 2 year old, but the youngest (2yo) is definitely similar to your daughter. She will throw toys, hit, and repeat “No” to anything when she’s feeling frustrated. What we do is when we see she’s having difficult feelings, we take her to the side and sit with her for a one minute “time out” for her to calm down. Part of the time out is talking through what happened and what she’s feeling. E.g., “Can you tell me why we’re sitting here?” “I understand you feel frustrated. It’s ok to be frustrated. Can you tell me why you feel frustrated?” It appears to be helping, she’ll sometimes go take a break on her own, and she’s getting better at talking through what she did and what was happening to make her feel frustrated.

A good book is “The Crayons’ Book of Feelings”. Each crayon color expresses a feeling, and at the end it has a rainbow crayon that has all the feelings all at once. Rainbow feelings happen a lot to 2 year olds :)

:hmmyes:
This is a better answer than mine.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Pham Nuwen posted:

hi and welcome to kid book reviews, here are some books that we've been given which i loving hate and cannot wait to donate to goodwill (or the garbage can)

• The Wonderful Things You Will Be - just fuckin unbearably twee

Ohhhh comeon, it's cute.

Edit for content: I fuckin hate all of those 150-page compendiums of "5-minute Whatever Stories". Just... why. Yeah, we all love Bluey. But I sure as hell don't want to have to read a lovely knockoff of the episode I just watched. Half the pleasure is the 7 minutes of peace.

truavatar fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 24, 2024

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

gbut posted:

Same. Though if I had any size concerns I'd probably get something like this

We have one of these. Looks like an owl. We use it all the time and it's held up very well.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I'm traveling for work in a few weeks (Sun-Thurs) and I need some ideas on how to ease the pain for my wife. She's a stay-at-home parent for our 1.5yo and 4yo and it's gonna be rough. 4yo goes to preschool MWF in the afternoon, but the little one is still all hands on deck. My folks are in the area and can help out a bit here and there, but can't stay the whole time or anything like that.

Just looking for some ideas!

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

truavatar posted:

I'm traveling for work in a few weeks (Sun-Thurs) and I need some ideas on how to ease the pain for my wife. She's a stay-at-home parent for our 1.5yo and 4yo and it's gonna be rough. 4yo goes to preschool MWF in the afternoon, but the little one is still all hands on deck. My folks are in the area and can help out a bit here and there, but can't stay the whole time or anything like that.

Just looking for some ideas!

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies to this post of mine from a few days ago!

devmd01 posted:

Make it clear that she is not a bad mom if she throws them in front of a screen more than usual. You use every available tool to survive in that scenario.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I've traveled regularly for work the entirety of my kids' lives. As others have mentioned, try to help prep things as much as possible for your wife. Do not put any expectations on your wife while you're gone. Make sure that she knows it's totally okay if you come home to a house that looks like a tornado hit it. Shower her praises when you get back and take care of the kids for the majority of the weekend or whatever to make it up to her.

Most importantly, enjoy that sweet freedom and don't feel guilty.
These are a good points - she can be hard on herself sometimes, so it's definitely worth specifically mentioning that any tool to survive the week is a good one - from ice cream to bubble baths to movies - and that post-tornado is a totally reasonable state for our place to be in at the end of it all!

bolind posted:

Can you prep some meals or green light a bunch of Uber Eats or something like that? Make sure the laundry is somewhat done before you head out? Gas up the car? Make sure consumables are stocked up? Anything that can be done preemptively.

Also, babysitters are great even if they just come over and can be an extra set of hands or entertain one kid for ten minutes.
Smart about being pro-active on laundry and food prep in the days leading up - we make pretty much everything from scratch, so having loaves of bread dough frozen and ready to bake, soups, lasagna, and whatever else will be super helpful. Helping her avoid the grocery store while I'm gone will be clutch.

On babysitters - our preschool is at a university and the early-childhood education students work in the classrooms as aides - they gave out a list of them at the beginning of the year so parents can also hire them as babysitters. I'll be making some calls.

Rooster Brooster posted:

I'm sure you thought of it, but: does your preschool allow drop-ins on non-standard days for a fee? Adding a couple extra days that week might be worth it.

Past that... take the following Friday off so you can give her a well-earned break?
I don't think our preschool does this, but it's a good idea and I'll find out for sure. But yes, I'm definitely taking the Friday off and being full-time Dad for the long weekend. I also suggested she plan something nice for herself for that weekend like a massage or a ski day or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
We've got a flight coming up with the kiddos and are planning to have the younger in our lap in a front facing Ergo360 carrier. Snug enough to keep him secure if there's turbulence, but loose enough to wiggle around a bit, have snacks, and watch cartoons on the iPad.