Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Superdawg posted:

What does everyone use for baby gate solutions? My son is 9 1/2 months old and crawling like crazy, almost walking on his own and climbing the stairs like a pro.

We have a collapsible gate going into the kitchen from the living room (This one: http://www.target.com/p/evenflo-expansion-swing-wide-wood-gate/-/A-13979818#prodSlot=large_1_35).

However, our stairs have a landing with one stair that steps down into the room on an angle, so putting a pressure gate isn't really an option. Curious what other people do for the odd configurations with regard to gates. What we've been doing is putting big objects in front of the stair, but he's smart and goes around it in a matter of minutes.

I don't really want to spend $500 on a solution, so the cheaper the better as long as it works.

The original owners of our house left their mounted baby gate at the top of the stairs. It looks like this one: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4378216 They screwed in an extra piece of wood to the stair railing to mount the gate onto & it's really secure. It's really easy to open & close for adults, but feels stable enough to keep a child from opening/pushing it open on their own.

I would only look at gates that are actually mounted to the wall for use on the stairs. Pressure mounted gates can & will get pushed down with enough force, so I wouldn't trust one to keep my child off the staircase.

Here's a Consumer Reports article about the different types & brands of gates: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/safety-gates/buying-guide.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Superdawg posted:

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I was thinking about the hearth gate. Was curious where everyone else stood with regard to what they were doing. The price makes me just wanna keep going with putting something big on the stairs so he just can't get by it. :)

If you're still looking for a gate, Woot has a good one on sale for $30 today: http://kids.woot.com/offers/summer-infant-baby-gate-7991

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Letting an 8 year old sit in the front seat is way different than driving with a 2 year old in your lap. This isn't about different styles of parenting. This is about safety & someone breaking the law, because trust me it's against the law for a child to not be properly restrained in a car.

There's no way to bring this up without doing some damage to the friendship, but do you really want him literally putting his child's life in danger because you didn't want to step on anyone's toes?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Any suggestions on baby sunglasses that will actually stay on their heads? If Archer takes after me, he'll need super sun protection.

Also, holy crap, he's graduated to the parenting thread.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Acrolos posted:

New parent to a two month old here. Our baby has been pretty easy going for the most part, but the past week, she's been having 1-2 uncontrollable crying fits for about 15 minutes at a time. After they are over, she is back to being a normal and happy baby with really no other signs of distress.

This isn't a standard hungry cry, or even a painful cry, this is complete and utter chaos, where she sings bloody murder.

The doctor suggested that it could be a result of acid reflux (she has also spit up really badly since she was first born), so we've been giving her zantac for the past 3-4 days, but it hasn't really seemed to change anything as it relates to the crying fits (the spitting up is much improved).

I thought that it may be colic, but a majority of the items I've read say that it goes on for hours at a time. In her case, it's just 10-15 minutes, and 1-2 times a day.

Any suggestions on what this could possibly be?

It can take up to a week for the Zantac to really become effective. Keep giving it to her & hopefully you'll see some improvement if it really is reflux pain.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Alterian posted:

Jasper is 28 1/4th" at 6 months, but only weighs 16 lbs.

Same stats here. Archer's just long & lean.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Yeah, Archer's been doing all that & we're at 7.5 months with no signs of teeth yet. They can stay away as long as they want as far as I'm concerned.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

El Gar posted:

Does anyone know how to get Desitin out of a felt cat costume, and carpet, and the bathtub? Asking for a friend.

That video is ridiculously cute. Good luck with the Desitin.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Plum Organics makes a corn, carrot & turkey pouch with sage that smells delicious. It's one of Archer's favorite meals. If you do meat that's mixed with other stuff it isn't gross like the straight meat purées.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I really don't think gloves are necessary for weather in the 60s-70s. That isn't cold weather.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Car seats should only be put in the front seat as a last resort, like in pickup trucks without a back seat. The back seat is so much safer that I can't believe a store would advocate putting your child in the front.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Hdip posted:

If you time it with naptimes and mom is ok using a cover to nurse then it's not to horrible.

Uhhhh, why does she need to be comfortable using a cover? She is perfectly free to nurse her child without feeling like she's doing something indecent that needs to be hidden from strangers. A lot of babies won't nurse with a cover over them anyway.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
They make attachments that go around the banister instead of drilling into it, like this one: https://m.buybuybaby.com/m/product/Regalo-reg-2-in-1-Extra-Tall-Top-of-Stairs-Gate/1018772868?categoryId=32092

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Reading through this might help & I'm hoping Ldillz will come in with some more targeted advice.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

The first few weeks are really tough. I felt like my son wasn't nursing enough either at first, but he was gaining like crazy. He was just a really fast nurser.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
We've found the most effective anti-diaper digging getup is tight pj pants with a onesie over the pants. If the onesie stretches out though, it's useless.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Chickalicious posted:

If I had to pick, I would definitely avoid surgery at 3 years old.

This. If he has to have a catheter for a couple of weeks, I don't know how you'd keep a toddler from messing with it. My almost 2 year old spends so much time playing with his penis. Keeping him from touching himself for 2 weeks would be a nightmare.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Diono Radians are the best seats I've seen recommended for 3 across.

http://us.diono.com/convertible-to-booster/radianrxt

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
No, it kind of just sounds like you're an rear end in a top hat that shouldn't have become a parent.

Yes, it's really loving hard & some days/nights I wonder why I thought this was a good idea. But the good vastly outweighs the bad.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

GlyphGryph posted:

I know this has been linked several times in the thread, but I can't seem to find it again. What's a good way to make sure a child seat is installed correctly? My town's official policy summarizes too "figure it out, it comes with instructions for a reason, don't bother us with your problems".

Go here & see what comes up: http://www.safercar.gov/cpsApp/cps/index.htm

The best way is to get a certified seat inspector to check out your install. This will point you in the right direction.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Our son's first visit was right after he turned 2 & we got him on our dental insurance. The dentist just looked at his teeth, gave us the lecture about how fruit snacks are terrible for teeth & we were on our way. We'll go back every 6 months since its fully covered with insurance just to get him used to sitting in the chair & having someone else look in his mouth.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Blocks, cars & ride on toys are the 1-2 year old staples. My son is 2.5 & still playing with all of those basic toys he got for his 1st birthday.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
We went with an in home daycare, because of a great recommendation from a friend & the cost. In my area, home daycare runs $150/week while a normal daycare center is easily $200-250. He was at the first place for about a year until my neighbor had a spot open up in her home daycare.

I walk across the street to drop off & pick up my son, which is amazing. He gets to play all day with other kids in the neighborhood & loves it. She is licensed & pays taxes, so we get the childcare benefit on our taxes. The major downside is that when she goes on vacation or is sick, we have to find backup care or stay home ourselves. It hasn't been too bad, but she's usually pretty healthy.

We are planning on putting him in a pre-K program for a year before kindergarten, just to get him used to a more structured environment & being around larger groups of kids.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

sheri posted:

Our elementary school hours here are 9:05 to 3:35. Where starts at 7:30
D:

Our elementary school goes from 7:40-2:25, which is pretty standard for our area. The bus hits our neighborhood at 6:45.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Kitiara posted:

I love this so much. They're such little smart-asses. My oldest hit her sister (which is a big no no), and so I told her to stop running and come apologise. Which of course made her run faster. So I caught her and gave her a gentle smack on her hand.

So how is teaching your daughter not to hit by hitting her going?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Is there some reason why your wife can't just sit in the back seat so your son can continue to rear face?

Looking into a different car seat is also a good option. We have a nextfit & while the front seat can't be pushed all the way back, there's still plenty of room for someone under 6' to sit up front.

GoreJess fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 5, 2016

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Public Serpent posted:

Welp, our 10-month-old has a cold. She's pretty chipper during the days, but the nights are miserable. We've put books under the crib to raise her head and tried washing her nose with sterile saline solution (which was horrible for everyone involved :().

Does anybody have any useful tips for making her more comfortable? Or magic instant cold cures...

Keep doing the saline drops, even though she hates it. Running a humidifier can also help a lot, especially if you're running the heat which tends to dry out the air.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Hdip posted:

No advice here because my 3 year old does quite similar things to his little sister. Just posting to quote him saying quite often at dinner he won't eat something because it is "yuck and disgusting." He says this with a smile on his face. :)

My 3 year old does the same thing with foods that he loves. I always say, "that's fine, you don't have to eat it." Then I ignore him & 95% of the time he'll start to eat after 5-10 minutes.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Chin Strap posted:

My question: Our 10 month old is definite pain from teething (no teeth yet), and at nights she starts screaming something beyond her normal tired scream that really sounds like teething pain. We give her ibuprofen and it works and she seems to finally start going to sleep after it kicks in.

I know ibuprofen is pretty safe, I just feel bad giving it to her so regularly. In the past week it has probably been 4 or 5 nights out of 7. We don't just do it as a matter of course, we save for if it is clear that nothing else is helping and she is hurting. Is this normal to be doing it this much? It doesn't seem to be causing any of the common side effects.

Yes, teething is a bitch. There is no harm in giving her the recommended dose every night for a week.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
He's 3.5, you might need to lower your expectations a little.

My son is about 3.5 & will only answer questions about numbers & colors if he feels like giving you the answer. He's usually pretty polite, but sometimes he isn't, that seems pretty normal for a toddler.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

sheri posted:

Kids pick up so much from playing though. A kid's job is pretty much to play and do their own little experiments and explore the world and learn. Holding a flashcard and being quizzed like he's cramming for the SAT's is probably going to diminish a three year olds interest in learning whatever you are trying to teach him pretty much immediately.

So much this. Play with your son & you'd be amazed what he'll pick up. My son has learned letters because we point them out in books, on signs, on tv shows, etc. I'm not going to to start grilling him & getting upset when he can't identify a certain letter. Melissa & Doug have some fun letter puzzles that encourage learning while your child plays.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Our favorites:
-Endless Reader/ABC
-anything by Toca Boca
-anything by Sago Mini
-the Sorting series by Tiny Hands

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

I'm seconding the book recommendation. How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will talk is a great resource. I reread it regularly to help myself stay on target. It's hard to break our own programming (i.e. not do what we were raised with even if we know it's not right). Also, when I taught 4 year olds, EVERY parent complained about that. We had a board where we posted what we did that day so parents would have some topics to get the conversation started. What did you do today is too broad a question for 4 year olds, it's overwhelming. Instead of asking questions, try rephrasing beginning with the words "tell me about..." If you know the general pattern of the day you can narrow things down for her. Tell me about art today. Tell me about circle time. Tell me about your favorite thing you did today. You get the idea. I would imagine your child's school has a communication board too. You can use that for topic ideas. If it says they studied bugs, try "tell me about the bugs you learned about at school today."

I use my son's daily report sheet to get conversations started. If I ask what he did at daycare, he just stares at me. If I asked what book they read during circle time or ask about the specific thing they focused on that day I get answers.

Last week, they learned about the ocean & every day they colored or made a different animal & learned some simple facts about it. If I asked him to tell me something about starfish, he could rattle off a few things.

And some days on the car ride home, he tells me, "I'm not talking." So I give him time to decompress & try again later in the evening. Sometimes I don't want to talk about my day either.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
If you figure out the answer, will you let me know?

We're going through the same refusal to eat dinner unless it's a cheeseburger & then complaining about being hungry after we've started bedtime.

If he doesn't eat dinner, he gets a snack like cheese & crackers. But it is really frustrating & I just want to shove food down his throat.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

sudont posted:

Oh good, toilet training chat.

My 3 year old son was doing so well, for about a month, consistently telling me when he had to go, and we'd put him on the toilet (with one of those kid seat things to make it smaller) and he'd do what he had to do and that was that. But then, of course the inevitable happened... he held it for too long one day and it hurt when he pooped. This was a month ago, and it hasn't hurt him since, but he steadfastly refuses to poop in the toilet. The past 3 weeks have been nonstop cycle of "I have to go to the bathroom"...bring him to bathroom, go to put him on seat and he says "I changed my mind" or "the feeling went away". Putting him on the toilet at this point will elicit a screaming fit, because he doesn't want to poop. No sooner have we walked out of the bathroom and back down the stairs and he says "I have to go again". Same scenario plays out.

We have like 5 different potties but he's always preferred the toilet. I've put the potties at various locations around the house, and after a few rounds of "I have to go... no I don't... yes I do" I tell him "if you feel like you need to go, the potty is right there. You can use the potty, but it's up to you, I'm not going to keep rushing to the bathroom over and over." I make sure he has easy to remove pants, and he does know how to get them down on his own. Without fail, he will poop in his pants rather than use the potty, and then blame it on me because "I *told* you I had to go!"

I know at this point, he's not scared, it's almost more like ingrained behavior, a habit. He's also super super stubborn and nigh unbribeable. I had tried in the past with sticker charts and a chocolate chip each time he used the toilet, 2 if he pooped but he was always meh about it. I finally said "Okay the diapers are gone, we use the toilet now!" and that worked. He is not constipated, he just holds it till he can't anymore, or goes in his overnight diaper first thing in the morning. It's become a huge issue and stress and such a colossal power struggle.

I guess the tldr; takewaway is: Should I give up this fight for a bit, put him in a diaper when he has to poop, and try again later? I feel like the obvious answer is yes, because it's become such a huge stressor for both of us, but I also feel like it's such a huge regression and he'll fight it harder next time, thinking "if I flip out enough mom will give me back my diapers".

Do not make pooping a power struggle, you will lose. Back off a little, give him a pull-up if he needs to poop & try again in a couple of weeks.

For my son, small rewards haven't been enough to get him over his fear of pooping on the potty. It took him wanting a specific toy & us promising that he could have it if he pooped on the potty. It took a week of tantrums & whining, but he finally went in the potty instead of his pull-up.

Now, we have a small arsenal of fun things to give him until this becomes the norm & then we'll back off on the presents. We did it like this with dollar store toys for pee & it worked really well.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
We have this for the car & the battery life is pretty great. The case supposedly doubles as a headrest mount, but it doesn't work great. My son was happy to hold it on his lap to watch his movies.

Sylvania 9-Inch Swivel Screen Portable DVD/CD/MP3 Player with 5 Hour Built-In Rechargeable Battery, USB/SD Card Reader, AC/DC Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X63D2E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LB2tyb0J5479W

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I would really advise getting a seat for each car. Having to install & uninstall a seat at every drop-off & pickup is going to become a major pain in the rear end very quickly.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
His hair is awesome! Don't let the stupid old people tell you otherwise.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
http://csftl.org/recommended-seats/#combination

This is my favorite source for car seat information. We went with the Britax frontier seat as well for my super tall kid.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Red posted:

She seems to enjoy this light-up whale thing we have, but it's not really snuggle-able. Has anyone tried using a glow worm for a baby?

The fisher price seahorse is the goon approved glow device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

n8r posted:

You don't sound super judgey at all.

Glad I’m not the only one feeling the judgment.

A kid crying because their parent is leaving them at daycare is perfectly normal & has nothing to do with the way the parent is raising their child or the child’s level of security.

My 4 year old has been in daycare since I went back to work at 10 weeks. He loves “school”, but a few times a year he goes through a week of really rough drop offs. There’s usually no reason for it, he just has a few days where he doesn’t want me to go.