Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Someone bought me a copy of Amazing Baby by Desmond Morris as a gift. It covers developmental milestones and development for the first two years and really delves into a lot of neat science facts about babies. It was jokingly referred to as a 'baby owners manual' to me by the person who gifted it to me, and even after only a few quick flip-throughs, I have to agree. I'd definitely recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Can I just say thank everything sweet and holy for sleep sacks? We tried swaddling with blankets like the nurses did for us at the hospital, but she broke out of them so easily, even though we double blanketed her. We started using a sleep sack the week after we got home, and she started sleeping better. I didn't realize how much better until we went without it the last two nights--I threw it into the laundry hamper and my husband forgot to put it in the machine, so we had her in nice footy pyjamas instead. She was up every hour and refused to settle for ages each time. Last night we put her back in the sack and she slept through the night and woke in an awesome mood. I have a bigger one lined up for when she outgrows this one. :)

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

I am not looking forward to the possible eventuality that my daughter will end up with ADHD; both my husband and I have it, and we're both severely inattentive rather than hyperactive (though my husband's sister has it and is primarily hyperactive and impulsive). There are pretty compelling arguments for genetic predisposition of ADHD, and our household is already hard enough to run with the both of us forgetting everything ever. My husband is medicated but Concerta is mega-expensive so he conserves it for work days only, and I have a follow-up appointment following my diagnosis last month at the end of January that will likely result in medication. Argh.

I think the difference will be that, if my daughter does have it, we'll be a lot more understanding than our own parents were. My husband's parents' had him diagnosed as a child but didn't know what to expect since neither of them knew anyone else with ADHD, and despite being my diagnosed with it recently by medical professionals, my parents still think it is an imaginary disease and would rather think I'm lazy and horrible. Either way it'll be less of a struggle for her to develop coping mechanisms because I've got almost two decades of strategies to pass on.

Still, fingers crossed that she miraculously doesn't end up with it. :/

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Okay, so my daughter is about 5 months old. She eats really well all day, but we're running into a problem where the only way she will go back to sleep at night if she wakes up is if we feed her. This wouldn't be a big deal except she is still waking up four or five times a night, and it is getting to the point where she will blaze through three 8oz bottles by morning.

Feeding her cereal before bed doesn't help. She drinks so much at night that even with overnight diapers, she will still pee through them just by sheer volume if we don't change her half way through the night.

I'd really like to get her sleeping through the night, but with how inconsolable she is when she wakes up until food happens, I feel like she's probably picked up a bad habit that's going to be hard to break. Any ideas? Because right now it feels like my only option is to never sleep more than an hour and a half at a time ever again.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Brennanite posted:

Are you sure she's getting enough during the day? Drinking so much and so frequently during the night suggests she's not getting enough during the day, despite what you suggest. Adding cereal to a bottle to help sleep is outdated advice, it won't do anything. Try loading her up in the three or so hours before bed especially. Finally, I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect a 5 month old to sleep completely through the night. Babies wake up at night for a million reasons--gas, teething, loud noise, wet diaper, hungry, growth spurt, illness, light sleeper, the alignment of the moon and Jupiter, etc. You might want to mentally aim for one or two wake-ups during the night instead.

Sorry, I meant that I would *eventually* like her to sleep through the night. Cutting down to less than four or five would be beautiful.

She's a big kid and she really does eat all day. She has about three to four 8oz bottles during the day, and a big portion of cereal and bananas in a bowl (we're not adding it to a bottle) with a spoon in the evening (okayed by her doctor). She weighs over 20lbs and is wearing size 5 diapers, and clothes meant for 12-18 months. She's hitting all of her milestones early and is gaining weight at a really steady clip. I really don't think that not getting enough during the day is the issue, and I'm more on the side of it being a comfort thing for her. I didn't mention it before because it slipped my mind, but she has zero interest in a pacifier and we gave up on trying to get her to take one to sooth at about 4.5 months.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

skipdogg posted:

What's she doing when she wakes up at night? How long do you wait before you go get her? On the rare occasion one of our kids would wake up in the middle of the night we would always give them a least a few minutes to settle back down before we went in there.

She will usually wake up and immediately start loudly crying. We give her a few minutes before we go over to her. Rubbing her back, talking or singing to her and even picking her up the few times we tried it do nothing, but the bottle is instant silence. She'll drink for a few minutes, in which she drains about half a bottle, then sleep. Repeat 5+ times.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

systran posted:

On the flip side of that my parents never really forced my brother and me to do anything at all, so I would appreciate some good tips for finding a middle-ground. My parents encouraged us to do things that we enjoyed, but I think making us try out some new stuff and at times forcing us to stick with certain hobbies/sports past the phase where you are just starting and thus terrible at it may have been nice.

I'm not really sure how I'll handle that sort of thing with my own kid when the times comes, but as someone who draws comics for a living, what really kindled my interest in art as a kid was a teacher being delighted with my first attempt at painting. I wasn't really any better than anyone else, but I was so interested in what I was doing that having someone believe I was good at something was enough to get the ball rolling to where I drew enough that more than one person took me aside and told me that what I was doing was something special (and believe me, that wasn't until a few years later). I'm not sure if I'd have pursued art at all without that first bit of recognition, especially since my parents have never been the 'put your kids drawings on the fridge' kind of people. It seemed like they'd always rather I be doing something else, and even though I am 28 years old and it is currently my primary source of income and has been for the past few years, they're still not really interested in anything I do. So I guess my advice is to keep a keen eye out for things that your kids get interested in and get in on the ground floor for encouragement.

Also, if they lose interest in things that they previously love, have an earnest talk to them and find out the real reasons behind why they want to quit; I was in love with singing from grades 3-6 and auditioned for our board competitive choir and got in when there were only two spots available. I did it for three years and until I decided to quit because the director of the choir was a massive bully who kept shuffling me around to different sections and discouraging me and telling me that if I would just quit they'd find someone better. When I gave up and decided I did want to quit, my mother would hear nothing of it and basically stayed mad at me for months afterwards. How she handled it didn't encourage me to stick with things I was passionate about, but it did encourage me to hide my interests from my parents so I wouldn't have to deal with them flipping their poo poo if I decided something else I liked just wasn't for me. Thinking back, if my mom had sat down and had a 'but you love this, why are you really quitting' talk then we could have found other options in where I continued singling, whether it going to classes or singing with local youth groups. But since she never talked to me in a way that wasn't trying to force me back instead of figuring out what went wrong, I guess she decided that I hated singing rather than being bullied by a crazy old lady who liked to yell at kids and I never did it again.

I'm not saying that every lost interest is a deeper problem, because kids are fickle and do drop things on whims, but it pays to be vigilant. I'd rather have a serious talk with my daughter only to discover that she just isn't into horseback riding or something like that anymore than not have that talk and discover years later that I killed something that she loved for her just by being inattentive. :shrug:

Not related to anything currently being talked about : My kid's only 6 months old, but man do I ever worry about the future. Her father has massive ADHD that he was diagnosed with in childhood and has been treated for all his life. I feel like I'd worry about her having it in the future less if I wasn't just recently diagnosed with/began medication for adult ADHD myself. When I was being diagnosed I was asked a lot of family history questions because apparently if a parent has it, the odds that the kid gets it shoot way up. I know that the way they treat it in kids now is nothing like they way they did when my husband was young, but I have friends who are 8 to ten years younger than him who have been treated since childhood and all of them report feeling like a wrecked zombie for their younger years. My husband was severely underweight because of his medication and had to be on a special diet for years that was meant to make him gain weight--he's 28, still medicated and I'm a little over 50 pounds heavier than him. He also struggles with having interests and dreams and things that he wants to achieve and struggled to find his place in the world after highschool, whereas I, who am only now being medicated, had a childhood where I spent all of my time daydreaming and imagining and loving the crap out of a million different interests at once even if my grades plummeted.

I know that this is something I'm going to have to discuss with my doctor if she exhibits any symptoms over the next few years, but it would make me feel a hell of a lot better to hear about any of you who have young children being treated for ADHD, good or bad, so I at least kind of know what to expect and can warm up to various ways that they're treating kids now-a-days (since I don't know anyone with kids around the age where this sort of thing would start to show up). Share please? :(

skullamity fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 20, 2013

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Helanna posted:

And suddenly she loves this toy because she can actually reach it when it rolls away in front of her: http://www.amazon.com/VTech-Move-Crawl-Electronic-Activity/dp/B000231EX2

My mother in law got my daughter one of those for Christmas and even though she's not crawling, she loves to sit with it on her lap so she can try and eat all the lights and beat it up. It's awesome to watch, can't wait until she can crawl after it.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

FordCQC posted:

Those of you with kids in pre-school:

What the hell do you do with all the artwork that comes home? Right now my daughter's only 2 so she doesn't care about what happens to it once she's done making it, but it feels wrong to toss it in the trash.

If it is a reasonable size or can be folded, you could stick it in an album or binder sleeve or a Rubbermaid bin that you can store? She might like to look back on them when she is older even if she doesn't care now.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Cathis posted:

We are super far away from the drawings and things phase, but we've decided that a lot of them will go on our fridge- which for some crazy-rear end reason has a screen on it that you can plug a USB stick into and make a slideshow. To play. On the fridge. It's weird techno-genius.

The plan is to buy a house in a couple years with enough saved up to do any renovations and buy new appliances and now that I know that fridges like that even exist I waaaant one. :O

Anyhow, have an appointment with the children's hospital near the end of April. At Briar's 6 month appointment the doctor thought her head might be a bit asymmetrically flat in the back of her head, but it was a bit hard to tell because she has so much neck fat in the back. Fingers crossed that there is a helmetless solution that'll correct this. :/

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Ok, so when I saw my daughter's pediatrician on the 15th for her six month shots, she told me that it would be fine to start sleep training and cutting down in night time bottles. Kiddo was flipping her poo poo throughout that entire conversation because needles, so I didn't stick around to ask a ton of questions.

Flash forwards a few weeks and I'm kicking myself for not asking a bunch of stuff. First off, the ideas of sleep training and cutting down on night time bottles SOUND great in theory, but the kid has always relied on food for sleep. If she wakes up during the night, she will not go to back to sleep until she's downed about four ounces, which would be fine except she wakes up 4+ times a night, which adds up to two large 8oz bottles and most of a smaller 6oz bottle.

Before anyone suggests that she might not be getting enough food during the day, she will generally go through two 8oz bottles and one or two 6oz bottles, as well as half a cup of fruit flavored cereal and about as much fruit or veggie purée. She's a big kid at 6.5 months; 22lbs, 28 inches long with a long torso, so we have her wearing mostly 12-18 month clothes and she's wearing size five diapers currently, but as soon as the box we have is gone we're moving up to size six.

So I guess my issue is that it seems like the only option here is to just refuse to feed her as much at night. The problem is that, if she wakes up, she immediately cries. No amount of back rubbing or singing to her or white noise helps, she will not take a pacifier, and she doesn't suck her thumb. It is the same when she is napping during the afternoon--no food? No sleep.

I've tried getting her to eat more during the day, but if she doesn't want food, she will not eat it. Her crib is in our room, and we're finding that, if we don't feed her immediately after she wakes up and starts crying, we don't get to sleep. That's fine for me, but my husband needs to be up at 5:30am to get ready for work every day. If we wait even a few minutes and try to get her to calm down or change her diaper, she'll eat that same four ounces and then stay awake for three hours, shouting and kicking her crib and groaning and growling with annoyance at us (it is like sharing a room with Marge Simpson), ensuring that we dot get more than a minute of sleep at a time for the rest of the night.

So, the second solution is to just keep doing what we're ding and feeding her, but the problem with that is that she drinks so much that she is pretty much guaranteed to have a diaper blow out. I have 4 sleep sacs and there have been weeks where I have had to wash every single one of them by Wednesday. I'm kind of at a loss here.

The monster in question with her biggest fan:

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Seconding avocado as a food that babies love. It is soft and healthy and gets mushy enough that i fear choking less. I recommend giving them a slice on bath days, though; it is somehow the messiest food we've ever given Briar and it sticks to everything and when it dries it turns black and is harder to see. Might not be a big deal to you, but our highchair cover is black, which makes it invisible if you don't clean up right away (not a problem for me, but apparently a problem for my husband).

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Lyz posted:

A friend on Facebook posted that she was starting her baby on rice cereal at 3 months... don't do this. -_-

Unless your doctor recommends it, like mine did. We went along with it because Briar has always been a gigantic bottomless pit. She is 7 months old and is routinely assumed to be over a year old by at least one nurse every time we go to the doctor's office, and was already trying to steal food off of our plates and mash it into her face if we ate with her in our laps.

We probably would have requested a new doctor if she had just thrown that out there as something she recommends to everyone, but she prefaced the recommendation with "I wouldn't generally recommend this for a baby this age, but she can hold her own head up and is actively attempting to eat your food, so I see no harm in offering her rice cereal if she is actually interested in eating it." It worked out just fine, and she has moved on to puréed, rusks, avocados, bananas and apple slices (which she goes totally apeshit for the second we pull one out of the fruit bowl). Generally if she wants a taste if something, I'll let her, and she'll decide whether she likes it or not in a matter of seconds.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

I would like the ability to select which of hose functions are enabled/disabled so that I don't have to deal with specific ones that are of no use to me, and then have the ones that are disabled not clutter everything up.

When babies are really new, tracking diaper changes are necessary, but my kid is 8.5 months old and I just can't be arsed. I had similar issues with aps I tried out when we first brought her home; I needed the app to track diaper changes and feedings, but had to jumble through all sorts of breast-feeding specific things (how long on each side, pumping timer, etc.) despite her being formula-fed. As a result, the app was cluttered, confusing and I had to wade through a pile of junk I didn't need to get to the few features I did want, and I resorted to just using a pen and a notepad because it was less frustrating overall.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Chickalicious posted:

:aaaaa: Your kid is a giant! Mine will be 3 in October and barely tips the scales at 28 lbs with clothes on.

Mine is almost ten months and is 25 stark naked. She's changed clothes sizes seven times since she was born. She's also deceptively strong and has just started raging out whenever I try and change her diaper or clothes. Definitely seconding an extremely interesting 'diaper change only' toy. It doesn't always work, but it works more often than not.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

tse1618 posted:

My baby slept in bed with me from 6-13 weeks old. I decided I'd try moving her into her own crib once she started sleeping through the night, and the first night I put her in her crib I was so nervous that she'd sleep terribly and wake up and miss me. But instead she slept for 9 hours that night and has had no problems in her crib at all. I was more upset about not waking up and seeing her next to me than she was! I used to breastfeed her to sleep too, but after a while she stopped falling asleep while eating all on her own. She's decided she prefers eating soon after she wakes up instead.

I had the opposite issue. We tried keeping her in the crib but even at 4 months she was still waking up every two hours or less to eat (formula fed). We eventually ended up just bringing her into bed with us because we didn't get any sleep otherwise, and she continues to wake up 4+ times a night for food until earlier this week (for reference, she turns one in a couple of weeks). We were told by our doctor that we could attempt to night wean her anywhere from 6 months old, but everything I read about it indicated that, instead of waking up and being fed back to sleep, she would just be waking up and crying uncontrollably because she never. Stops. Eating. Even then, I suspected that part of the reason why she woke up so often had to do with how much she was drinking at night.

On Monday we decided that we were enforcing night weaning and also her staying in her crib because she's old enough to climb out of our bed and muck around if we somehow sleep through it. I thought the weaning would be really, really hard because she has always shown a preference for eating the bulk of her calories at night. I was expecting her to really fight it, but since Tuesday morning she's been sleeping in her crib all night, and eating in the daytime only. She also only woke up twice Monday night, once last night and putting her to bed was miserable the first night (about 45 minutes of constant screaming and trying to shush her without giving in and giving her a bottle), tolerable the second night (15 minutes of crying before she decided to sleep) and tonight she was asleep in less than 5, and we haven't heard a peep out of her even though it is now midnight.

I wish we'd decided to wean her weeks ago--I love waking up next to her, but recently I'm waking up next to her because she woke up, is bored, and decided that punching my face repeatedly or jabbing her finger into my eyeballs and/or nose is a cool way to pass the time.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Lullabee posted:

On Halloween talk: we haven't decided what were dressing C as yet. We've been searching yard sale sites and goodwill, cause I'm not paying a ton of money for something he's only going to wear once. We're going to probably the mall kid get together and the local fairy tale land that's doing 'safe trick or treating'. I'm excited to finally have enough of an excuse to celebrate the holidays :)

So, since Cs now 7 months, we have a good amount of toys. Not drowning in them, but enough we need some place to store them. We're in a one bedroom apartment until next year, so I'm extremely limited on space. Any suggestions?

Vertical storage? We have those weird, cube Ikea book shelves that we put ikea cloth bins in. One shelf has room for 8 big cubes, and right now my 13 month old is really enjoying pulling the bottom two out, emptying the toys out of them and refilling them. You can also move the cubes around for some variety since they start to get bored with the same toys after a bit.

Mini vent on teething: my daughter is getting her bottom eye teeth right now, and is having the standard teething diarrhea that she's had with every round of teeth so far. This wouldn't be so bad except she recently decided that she hates pants, diapers and flips out every time you try and change either of those things. Nothing seems to be hurting her beyond some mild diaper rash, which she didn't have when she suddenly decided that pants are for squares. I'd forego the pants entirely but she's figured out how to take off her diaper if she's not wearing them. She will also seek and destroy diapers from the diaper bag or supply chest if we forget to close them.

Her sleep has also gone to crap after a month of actually sleeping through the night and she will not go back to sleep of she wakes up. Won't take food, will throw her lovey on the floor and generally rage out for HOURS unless we give in. The second we put her in bed with us, happy as a clam, asleep in seconds. I was juuuust getting over being a zombie, and while she is sleeping well, I am not because she is super mobile and spends the entire night trying to cuddle with me, which essentially means pulling my hair, kicking me and periodically jabbing me in the eyes while shouting 'eyes' to wake me up for undetermined "reasons"--she goes right back to sleep as soon as I acknowledge that having tiny fingers jammed in my eyeballs hurts. :/

Please, teeth, come in already. :(

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

My 14 month old is two teeth short of a full set and has been eating whatever we eat since about 9 months. I can give her a whole apple and she'll spend an hour eating small bites of it before getting bored. Soft foods and spoons make her rage, so we mostly just make her small plates of meats, veggies, fruits and tiny toast squares and let her pick at them until they're mostly empty. She gets three solid meals a day (usually a chopped up egg and a piece of toast for breakfast, fruit, meat and cheese for lunch, meat, potato and steamed veggies for dinner). On top of that she has three bottles of whole milk a day--first thing in the morning, nap time and before bed, though we are trying to cut down to two.

If you're concerned about allergies, I'd just take it slow like you do when they first start getting solids--one new food a week, keep an eye out for reactions. Every kid is different, and may not even want a ton of solids at this point in time. I lucked out with an extremely food motivated hulk baby, but friends with kids around the same age are still on purees and toddler formula, and their pediatricians are cool with it.

Also, my kid totally ate an entire piece of cake at her first birthday party and was super careful to make as little mess as possible because food on your face is food that isn't in your mouth I guess, haha.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

greatn posted:

My five month old loves books. He thinks they're delicious.

But seriously it's never too early to read to them. I was shocked how much attention I could get from pages when he was even just two months old.

My 15 month old will bring me books, which we have been trying to read to here since the start. I will start reading to her and get about a page in before she decides that the book would make a better bludgeoning instrument and runs off with it again. She will not sit still for any amount of time, and hasn't wanted to since she figured out climbing, crawling and walking, in that order. :/

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Our 16 month old does No, uh-oh and more recently "Oh noooooo!" in an abnormally high voice. She almost sounds sarcastic, which makes this equal parts hilarious and frustrating.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

I have four younger siblings who are 2, 5, 7 and 10 years younger than me. I hung out with my sister who was two years younger than me lots when we were really young, but that ended half way through grade school and didn't pick up again until I got married at 22 and hadn't lived at home for four years.

My siblings that are younger than that--we never really talked and I still have no idea what kind of stuff they're into, even though the youngest one is turning 20 in a few months, and as a teenager and young adult, I absolutely resented my parents' decision to have five kids because it was pretty clear that we missed out on most of the stuff out friends had.

Five is definitely not two, though, and I can't imagine a second would be all that taxing on your budget in comparison. Alternatively, I have a lot of friends who were only children with parents who absolutely took them traveling, on vacations and made sure they had awesome schooling who maintain that they were not lonely and loved being the center of attention when it came to their parents.

What I'm saying is that it's really hard to predict how things will turn out; there are so many variables that you can really only decide if you want a second child more than you want those other things, make a decision and do your best to love whichever path you chose.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Briar has always been chatty and started learning words early (at around ten months she was very clearly saying kitty as a first word, followed by mama and dada), probably to make up for the fact that she was a giant hulk baby who took forever to crawl and sit up on her own, crawled for a few weeks at 13 months and then went straight to walking. She's 17 months last week and just these last two weeks have been nuts.

It's like she figured out how her mouth works, and her word count jumped from about 15 words to around 54 that she says often, and she's been surprising us by saying words that we never actually tried to teach her (mostly animals, I'm going to assume that TVO is responsible for that since the Kratt Brothers have a weird animated show on while I'm making breakfast); the other day we were at my inlaws' for dinner and she turned around and touched a tiny picture of a bumblebee on her highchair and said Bee, and last week when I was suffering through some awesome back pain my husband brought her to our room to cheer me up and she caught sight of our corn snake's terrarium and shouted snake about twenty times at it despite the fact that she's never seen him before and we've never gone out of our way to show him to her because he's 11 years old and runs on pure hatred.

I totally appreciate how fast she's learning, but I would really, really like to get her to learn the word YES in response to questions. She uses NO and head shaking to indicate she doesn't want things, but she is also using NO when she means yes, and flips if we don't respond accordingly. I've been trying to repeat questions that I know she would say yes to by saying yes afterwards and nodding "Do you want more blueberries? Yes?" but she'll say No, and then freak out until I refill the blueberries anyways and then she is happy as a clam. I will also say things like "Here are the blueberries you wanted. Yes!" when handing them to her, but she straight up refuses to use anything but no when it's a yes or no question even after a month of trying. She doesn't shake her head when she means yes, so we do know what she means, but she's responding with no in a way that suggests that NO is how she thinks she is supposed to respond when you use a questioning voice.

Any ideas? Or am I doing this right and just need to wait for her to catch on? She can pick up words like butterfly (or rather buttfly, haha)after us telling her once and then she'll use it forever and associate it with specific objects and images, but yes isn't a noun so I'm stumped.

The monster in question:

Bonus: my husband somehow taught her to respond to the sentence "Briar, make the 'rage face'!" I'd really like to get her response on video, because she will take whatever she is holding and shake while attempting to crush it and make an insane supervillian face, sort of like Raul Julia as M. Bison in that awful old street fighter movie.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

As soon as Briar was able to roll over, she wasn't interested in cuddling with us at all for months and months. I always felt like she just thought there were way more interesting things going on that required her attention. As soon as she figured out walking, she was suddenly super cuddly. She will often tackle hug me or my legs about ten times a day and if I am sitting on the couch she'll voluntarily climb up and sit beside or on top of me with a toy or a book and just chill and chatter at me or the book.

Re: yes/no

It's good to know that in not doing anything wrong per se. I'll try not to give conflicting messages, which I was a little worried about, but it's good to know most kids do this. Less good to know I potentially have years more to look forward to of no to everything, though. :(

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

I'm having a bit of a weird problem right now. My 17.5 month old has always been pretty big. She's really tall and built really solidly, and is starting to rival friends' four year olds in size. She's been wearing pampers size six for about seven months. We've generally switched diaper sizes to the next one up using blow-outs and leaking as an indicator. Seven months is a record for how long she's stayed in one size, but recently she's been waking up with pee all over her pyjamas. Not only is it leaking out at the legs, but it is also leaking out the front top of the diaper.

Her last drink of the day is a small bottle about an hour and a half before bed time, which is at 7:30pm, and she now sleeps through the night until around 7am. She doesn't get another drink until breakfast at 8 when we're all up. Despite this, she has consistently soaked through her diapers overnight for the past three weeks now, and I'm getting tired of all of the extra laundry that's resulting.

My issue is this: Pampers' Canadian website says that their cruisers go up to size seven, but I have literally never seen them in any store. I have been to several drug stores, walmart, target, loblaws, independent and freaking toys r us and I hesitate to say that they are always out of stock because that would imply that there is an empty place on the shelf with a label for them that would indicate that they ever had any in the first place. Talking to anyone about this at any of these locations has resulted in me talking to kind of confused stock boys who don't know what to tell me and can't confirm that they will ever order them or have them in stock.

I'm not even sure what in asking--what do I do here? I guess ordering them online is an option, but only if I can avoid paying shipping on already expensive bulk diapers. Ideas?

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Fionnoula posted:

I honestly do not see how a 17.5 month old without some sort of growth disorder would wear a size 7 diaper.

She's a big kid--she's 34lbs, and while I don't have an exact measurement on her height, she's gone from being able to reach up on to my desk and feel around for things to being able to look at what is on my desk and decide what she's going to try and run off with because she can see over the top now, just over the past two months. She's not as tall as my four-year-old niece or my friend's daughter who is also four, but she weighs more than one of them and slightly less than the other. When friend's kid's dad saw her for the first time, his wife told him to guess her age. His response was 'looking at her, I want to say two, but I know that's not right because she was born the same year as our son.' She was 11 months at the time.

Her doctor doesn't seem concerned about her growth rate, and she's fine (or ahead--50+ words and phrases, and this past week she somehow learned to count to three and has been doing it consistently, even though I'm sure the meaning is a bit lost on her for now) in all other areas of development, so, I don't even know. She may be some sort of viking. Husband's family is tall, but husband is not because of some medical issues he had as a kid. My family is kind of average height.

Up until now she's been wearing size six overnights, and she's been waking up with blow outs at the top front of her diaper. I thought it might just be a fluke, but it's happened twice in the past few weeks and when I changed her, you could basically see that the issue was that the diaper was at its limit and there was literally nowhere else for the pee to absorb into, so it was being forced out the top of the diaper because she sleeps on her stomach with her butt up in the air, which made it the path of least resistance.

We've tried two other brands (Huggies and Costco), and both of them were instant blow outs at multiple sizes every time she went to the bathroom, and the Costco brand gave her a weird rash.

The good news is that I was explaining that we'd need to find some size sevens to my husband and he vaguely remembered a specific, far away drug store that he'd stopped into on the way into the city that had had some, so we managed to pick up a pack of 16, which was the only package size they carried.

We've been using them for night time only for the past two days and both times we've had zero leaks, so it looks like problem solved, except for how hard these things are to find.

I'm going to check in with my post office about how they handle Amazon deliveries--I live in Canada in a log cabin with a tin roof in a historical village that doesn't have local mail distribution--we all have PO boxes at the post office, and while they do accept packages for us, a lot of online stores will not ship to PO boxes as a matter of principal. I don't want to drop money on a prime account only for them to refuse to ship to me--I can certainly just leave my box number off the package, but there is a chance that someone else with my very common last name in town will end up with the package, OR, the package notice will end up in the right box with an angry letter from the post office reminding us to add the box number when ordering things and to stop making everyone sorting the mail's job harder. There are only three employees and they are all 50+ years old, so I feel bad. :(

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

greatn posted:

Is pampers one of the brands you tried? They are far superior to every other one I've tried. Costco diapers suck, unfortunately.

Pampers is the brand we've been using/are still using!

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

AlistairCookie posted:

And little kids don't talk on the phone well; it's just how it is I think. VorpalBunny is right on with Skype. I think it's the disconnect that they can't see who they're talking to that boggles their little minds.

Haha, we've had mixed results with phone/facetime. On one hand, Briar loves seeing daddy's face talking to her from my phone, and on the other, the allure of the giant red END CALL button they put on the face-time screen is too much for her to handle. She can't NOT press it, and then freaks out when daddy's face disappears because she still wanted to talk to/see him. It is both kind of funny and exasperating at the same time.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Can we stop the co-sleeping argument that's brewing? I really like this thread and don't want to see it get closed again. I think that, if someone is or has previously been co-sleeping or is thinking about it and mentions it in the thread, it is probably safe to assume that anyone dropping in to start shouting about SIDS risk is not the first person to mention this to them, and probably doesn't need to say anything at all. At this point it's like pointing out to someone that they're tall and expecting them to be surprised at your revelation; there's a fairly great chance that at least one of these things--nurses, hospital staff, home check-ins, the literature on SIDS most hospitals give you to take home, the child's pediatrician and a parents' own research, even if it's just the internet--have gotten in before you.

If co-sleeping isn't for you, then that's great, congrats. I envy you. But for the first 7 months of my daughter's life it was the ONLY way that any of us got any sleep at all. Pack-n-play beside the bed? Screaming all night. Crib across the room? Screaming all night. Fall asleep in bed with us and then is gently moved to the crib? Immediately awake again and screaming all night.

But, wrapped in a sleep sack in the center of our firm mattress, with one of us on either side of her and space in between us? Instant, blessed sleep. When we weighed the pros and cons, we felt that she was in more danger of one of us falling asleep at the wheel while she was in the back seat because none of us were sleeping than she was on a flat blanketless surface that she couldn't roll off of and actually slept in. We only stopped co-sleeping when she was mobile enough to 1) somehow houdini out of her sleep sack and 2) would wake us up at 4am every day by jamming her fingers in our eyes and saying 'eyes!' repeatedly.

So if it's not for you, great, I'm happy that you've found something that works for you that isn't co-sleeping. But please, please save the preaching, the only thing it does is make everyone angry at each other. :(

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

greatn posted:

I recall when I mentioned having an infant in arms on a flight I was lectured as to how irresponsible I was despite the extremely low risk, and how that was no better than driving with an infant in arms. I didn't start saying "oh no you're gonna get the thread closed", I let it go.

A discussion which I did not weigh in on, because I have been on an airplane exactly twice in my life and never with a baby and have zero opinion on, though I distinctly remember it not even crossing my mind that you were particularly irresponsible--I agree that it's incredibly low risk, and as the airline allows it, not something to get crazy up in arms about. I didn't say anything, though, because I hate airplanes and want to never get in one again if I can help it.

Anyhow, this thread is called Parenting Megathread: No Tantrums Edition after the previous thread was closed for a hot button topic (CIO I believe?) discussion that turned into a gigantic argument. Like co-sleeping, it's just one of those topics that cause everyone to lose their poo poo if not everyone agrees. It was actually a month or two before someone got permission to start this one started up after everyone had a chance to cool down.

This is the ONLY place I look at and post about parenting junk on the internet because it is the only place I've ever found that isn't filled with weird abbreviations, cutesy terminology and droves of mega-religious people who are afraid that vaccinations will give their babies autism. I'm just saying it would suck for this thread to get closed again, so can we just not argue about this?

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

If your main worry is that your baby isn't cuddly and you'll lose that bit of cuddly time if you wean accidentally, maybe this will reassure you:

I had to stop breast feeding at 3 weeks. My daughter drank formula from three weeks until one year when she switched to regular milk. She has never been cuddly because the world is too interesting for her to want to sit still ever. However, she would only drink her bottle on my lap for the longest time (she recently stopped because she discovered that she could walk around and look at things WHILE drinking). And even then, the older they get, the more cuddly they get apropos of nothing--she's still not a cuddly kid at 21.5 months, but she'll often decide to run across the room and tackle hug me, or that she's tired of playing and would really just like to flip through a book while sitting on my lap and cuddling. The older and more aware of her relationship with you she gets, the more close interaction with the both of you will actually mean to her, prompting her to seek it out more often.

Now if I want cuddles, I can pretty much just say "hey briar, do you want to sit on the couch and cuddle with mommy?" And she'll say yes and climb right up.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone here have any experience with leapfrog learning tablets and how durable they are/are not? My daughter will be turning two in August and LOVES my iPhone and my kindle fire. I have quite a few kids apps and she loves my flash card apps and has a pretty good grasp on how both of them work, but I can't just hand either device to her because she's easily distracted and will sometimes toss what she's using aside because suddenly the cat is more interesting than what she was doing. She's not two yet, so that's expected, but it's less than ideal when it comes to randomly dropping my poor phone or kindle on the hardwood floor and breaking them.

I'm not super concerned with the apps on a leapfrog being too old for her--she's pretty sharp and knows about 50 animals, can count to ten and is now learning letters, so anything educational is great. My biggest concern is blowing almost a hundred bucks on something that will be broken right away. Thoughts?

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Sneeing Emu posted:

Any advice for an infant with diarrhea? Our 3.5 month-old, and he woke up with a nasty nasty liquid filled diaper. He's had one more bout since this morning, and has been sleeping the rest of the time. He's usually up and alert in the mornings, so something is definitely unusual. We called the nurse's hotline and they said as long as he's not vomiting or dehydrated it will probably go away on its own. I'm sure I'm just doing the new parent freak-out, but this is the first time our guy has been sick and it sucks.

Briar had the same thing happen to her around 3 months. The nurse we ended up speaking to several times over the course of the week had is giving her pedialyte on top of regular feelings to keep her hydrated. Ontario has an after hours, non emergency medic phone number where you can speak to a nurse at any time of the day, so if you're concerned about dehydration and want to give pedialyte a shot, I'd find out if your state/province has a similar service, and then call and run it by them first to see if they think it is necessary.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, Briar was a huge baby too and could climb into the windowsills before she could sit up on her own, and if you put her in a sitting position at around 9 months, she would just wobble and slump over. She only learned how to sit up on her own at about the same time that she learned to walk at 13 months. Walking lasted for about a week and it's been sprinting ever since (she'll be 2 in August). Big babies seems to have a lot of gravity to work against I guess? I wouldn't worry about it unless your doctor finds cause for concern.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Wow, that's early. But congratulations!

Wow, really? When does kindergarten usually start for everyone else? Here it can optionally start at 4, but 5 is standard. Most people send their kids at 4, though.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

greatn posted:

Why do toddlers love climbing? I have a fifteen month old and he now climbs everywhere. I can't leave him alone for a minute or I'll turn around and see him standing on a very tall coffee table with trying to pull down a painting. It doesn't help that he's something like 98th percentile for height and can reach just about anything for a handhold. When I catch him I try very hard to have no emotional reaction and put him down and say "We may not climb on the table".

Mine figured out climbing before she figured out crawling. I was hoping to novelty would wear off once she could walk but she just turned two and has been walking for a year and will still immediately try to climb anything that looks like it can be climbed in whatever room she is in. Ironically, she has not yet figured out that she could probably climb out of her crib if she wanted, which I intend to exploit as long as possible.

I can't wait until she's a little older. I remember loving the hell out of the museum of science and technology in Ottawa when I was a kid, and I just found out that Ottawa is also home to Little Ray's Reptile (Safari? Zoo? Can't remember) where kids can take workshops with all sorts of big and small reptiles, foxes, a lynx, raptors and big rear end spiders. When she's less o a destructive tornado we're also planning on making a day trip out to the Bio Dome in Montreal--that place is amazing and I'd go back there all the time if it wasn't such a long drive.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

My mother in law used to take Briar grocery shopping and let her pre-shuck ears of corn in the cart to keep her distracted, which was really great for us for a while until she decided eating raw corn on the cob was somehow better than cooked corn on the cob--not only does the distraction no longer work, but it has somehow managed to ruin cooked corn for her because she likes it better raw. :/

We are hopefully going to be potty training soon, but have one small hurdle; at 25 months she shows interest in both the convertible potty we bought her and in the toilet, knows what they are used for, tells us when she needs a diaper change, tells us when she is pooping and requests to go on the potty and the toilet, but as soon as her butt hits the seat of either (only ever at her request, we're not forcing this, just leaving the option there for her), we are subjected to instant wailing and screaming and sobbing. However, if we say "not this time" because we are both tired and can't deal with a potentially hour long screaming tantrum, we are subjected to a second potentially hour long screaming tantrum because we told her that we'll try it next time instead.

I know it's going to pass and I'm not really looking for a solution, but man this kid is purposely contrary. She makes up for it by being insanely adorable the rest of the time, but holy crap.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

We transitioned to a toddler bed at 25 months and we lucked out really hard. The first night we put her in there, said goodnight, gave in to demands for kisses, high fives and fist bumps, turned off the light, left the room and that was that. If she wakes up before me, she will quietly have conversations with her stuffed animals (although recently it's been singing the alphabet at the top of her lungs every second morning) until my alarm goes off. We were worried she'd wake up in the middle of the night and freak out because we had to remove her night light (or else she unplugs it and tries to jam her fingers into the socket), but nope, quietly talks herself to sleep every single night ten minutes after we put her to bed, which is the exact opposite of how she was when she was in her crib.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Briar is 25 months and while I'm happy we're over the baby spitting up phase, the other week I got my first intro to solid food barfing. She had just eaten dinner and had a huge glass of milk and I was laying on the couch. She was sitting behind my back and all of a sudden she starts petting me and saying 'mommy gross'. Confused, I sat up to find that she had silently stealth vomited all over my side, and I hadn't noticed because I was wearing enough layers that it didn't soak through right away.

Bonus fun: she was petting the barf on me and before I could stop her she immediately ran her hands through her hair. :/

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Okay, so, nose picking. When my 2.5 year old was younger, her grandfather on my husband's side would constantly tease her.

When he was a teenager, he lost half of his middle finger in a saw related accident and since then, I guess he's been a hit with kids--when he pretends to pick his nose with that finger, it kind of looks like it must be jammed up in his brain.

When she was about 1.5 she started to imitate him. I'd catch her with her finger up there and I'd tell her not to do that, and she would respond by jamming her other finger up her other nostril and just meeting my gaze defiantly with a finger in each one. At the time, she was just putting it up there, not picking it or anything.

We tried to discourage it without making a big deal, and actually treated it the same way we did with her constantly licking other people--no big reaction, just consistent, firm "don't do that please, that's not nice/yucky/gross/dirty". It worked for the licking! But not for the nose picking.

Yesterday I counted all the times I saw her with her finger up there and gave up after like 20 times. At this point it almost seems like it's progressed to the point where she doesn't realize she's doing it anymore, and is doing it constantly as a result. She's also started actively picking it, and I've caught her wiping snot on things a few times. We had a talk about that and now she will at least ask for a Kleenex, but man I would rather her not do this at all.

Any tips for getting rid of this habit? :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Cimber posted:

So apparently my five year old son is very energetic in school, blurts out answers to questions, fidgets a bit and has some impulse control problems. The teacher recommended we have him screened for ADHD.

Now i'm not a huge fan of medicting my son. Is it possible he's ADHD or is he just a bright, bored 5 year old boy.

Well, the good news is that generally no (sane) doctor is going to medicate a 5 year old. Generally they wait (now-a-days, they didn't when my husband was a kid) until your kid is a bit older because standard ADHD medication can cause some nasty side effects like growth delay and insomnia. Generally they want kids on at least 6 months behavioral therapy before they try even low doses of medication, and that's if nothing is working. If a doctor immediately wants to try out medication for your 6 year old, I'd try and find another doctor. Suggesting to adults who are being diagnosed to try medication even before a positive diagnosis is common, but that's because an adult can articulate about the potentially terrible side effects and whether or not it's actually working in a way that a really young kid can't.

Your post is basically my future--even at 2.5 my daughter is showing a lot of signs, and we kind of expected it since ADHD is suspected to be hereditary and bother her father and I each have a formal diagnosis and are on medication for it.

That said, some of it could be normal zany kid antics, or it could even be acting out due to frustration because of a completely different issue with sight, hearing or language (one of my younger sisters was a constant blur of motion and insanity until we finally figured out that her eyesight was terrible enough that she needed surgery on both of them and two years of hardcore bifocals before she turned 7 to correct it, and as soon as she could see properly, all the behavioral issues stopped). Your best bet is to get him tested, but to also rule out any other issues like that first, since getting assessed for ADHD at such a young age mostly requires anecdotal evidence that it might be an issue from parents and teachers because no little kid is going to want to sit still and have lengthy conversations with a psychologist while doing multiple written tests like an adult would.

If you're super opposed to medication down the road, or are looking for a temporary solution to hold off on meds for as long as possible, ADHD symptoms can be lessened with specific diets and supplements and less narcotic substances like fish oil, vitamins and caffeine (it sounds counterproductive, but a lot of people with ADHD who don't want, can't take or can't afford medication will self medicate with caffeine).