Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

We're in the process of potty training now after just turning 3 and honestly it's gone relatively smoothly other than his apparent inability to push down his pants properly by himself. There's been very few accidents outside the first day or so and even then, for poop only. We did the pantless method after skimming the 'Oh Crap' book.

I bring it up only because my son was similar in that he wouldn't tell us when he had gone. If we specifically asked, it was usually a quick no. We would spot check him every hour or so. He just really didn't like the process of changing diapers and while we wanted to train him earlier, we held off thinking that he couldn't recognize the sensations yet and he wasn't ready. We were wrong. Just try it if you have the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The past few weeks have been a bit rough with parental depression and anxiety and it was clearly affecting our 3 year old son's mood as well.

We tried helping him understand different types of emotions and what can cause them. We bought a box set of books to help since he loves to read https://www.amazon.com/Little-SPOT-Emotion-Box-Books/dp/1951287134 but lo and behold, it looks like it's made the situation worse.

He's always been a procrastinator when it comes to bed time but he's never actively told us to stay with him because he's scared or worried. We're now spending 2-3 hours sitting next to him in his bed until we can negotiate something like leaving this door open. We haven't tried melatonin or a Zarbee's yet although its been discussed. This is just all having a compounding effect that doesn't do anyone any good.

This isn't really giving or asking advice but poo poo is hard right now and its having an effect.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

We’re in the middle of pre-k screenings and even the public school half day has a tuition in our town (~$3k). We also need alternatives just in case he isn’t chosen in the lottery system. A loving lottery for school. Anyways local accredited Montessori is about 3x the price, which sucks, but it’s highly regarded and doable if we want to skip the dog and pony show.

My question for anyone who are familiar is how is Montessori’s play based system at the age 3-4 level functionally different than daycare? Is any pre-k different than daycare?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

iv46vi posted:

Is that 3k a month?
No that’s per year so at the very least pre-k is different than daycare in that it’s much cheaper.

Daycares around Boston are $3k per month. He’s never been to one.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think the aim toward autonomy and self-learning is definitely something I would respond to but I also don't want to project my leanings onto my son. My wife thinks he'll need more attention and guidance. She's also concerned with the inevitable transition to public/private afterwards.

Our concern with the individual freeplay concept is just his attention level for things that aren't specifically in his wheelhouse is almost nil. He might be very bored in Montessori if it's essentially the same concepts and play activities for the next 3 years. He's 3. Right now, he's very content to do basic arithmetic workbooks and counting exercises all day. They're his favorite thing in the world (right now). Through no fault of our own, he can also read at a 1st grade level so another 2 years of learning what letter is what is probably not going to grab him much. He has almost no interest in art or coloring exercises, crafts are hit or miss. He does like building blocks but generally moves on pretty quickly. We'd like him to learn how to work with and play with other kids better.

Like everything else parenting related, I'm just trying not to screw him up too badly.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 15, 2021

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sleepytime is art.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Son was not selected for the public school Pre-K lottery. There were 19 spots and 50 kids. :suicide:

Looks like its Montessori or nothing this year, kiddo.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

citybeatnik posted:

Montessori legit helped out my stepdaughter when she was in it - are you going to be doing halfdays or full?
We're looking at 5 days and half day sessions.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Koivunen posted:

Twirly Woos has been taken off Netflix, FML.

Fuuuuuuuuu. That and Storybots have been our go-tos. Sometimes Buddi.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Really impressed with LA County being only 1.2 per 100k. Eat poo poo, Martha's Vineyard.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

citybeatnik posted:

Wait until they want you to keep rewinding over and over again because they want to listen to the same song over and over again.
Wait until they realize that Alexa can play the Rainbow Rangers theme song over and over on demand.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

We cared about needles in our Halloween candy enough that we had to have our bag x-rayed at the town rec center before eating anything but otherwise our neighborhood was filled with latchkey kids who had free reign during the summer months after the age of like 8.

My wife on the other hand wasn't allowed to leave her yard by herself ever.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hadlock posted:

At what age do babies graduate from the "stuff all choking hazards in windpipe" phase

Wife just informed me that her late cousin died choking on something at this age, so not only is it a potential threat, but (trying not to be funny here) it's also hereditary, apparently (?)
Well my 3.5 year old continues to have choking incidents just from stuffing his face with food and not taking reasonably sized bites. Also the little balls from Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Hopefully we'll be allowed to relax sometime within the next few years.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Had our final interview with the Montessori pre-k last week and got our acceptance letter today. Starts in the fall. I'm pretty happy with it after the loving we got in the public school lottery system.

I just want him to have proper socialization. He's never been in daycare so this is really the first opportunity for him to hang around, play, and learn from other kids instead of just his cousins.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

remigious posted:

Oh jeez this all sounds so formal. I want to send my small to a Montessori school next January, it just didn’t occur to me that there could be multiple rounds of interviews and acceptance letters and all that jazz.
It’s still Covid rules so a lot of the process would likely be shorter if we could have done in-person visits but it was definitely more formal than we expected.

We did an application, virtual tour, a QA Zoom for the parents, and finally a 20 minute Zoom between 2 teachers and just our son where they ask his to show and talk about a couple of his favorite things. He does the occasional Outschool class so he’s already pretty comfortable with Zoom. They left us waiting for a week though before finding out which was nerve wracking because its pretty late in the process

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Day 3 of Pre-K and we’ve already gotten an email about a kid in another class who popped positive and they’re contact tracing to find out who needs to quarantine. They pod the classes and enforce masks for everyone so not an immediate concern but it’s enough to make us anxious going forward.

If we get another from inside his class we’re probably going to withdraw and wait another year.

This poo poo sucks.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Just lol at getting your kid to eat something like sriracha glazed salmon. Our kid refuses to eat anything but and subsists solely on pretzel sticks and Dunkin Donuts egg and cheese wake up wraps.

And strawberry milk.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Wrong thread

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

sheri posted:

We are on day four of apparently a really nasty tummy bug.
4th day home from school from this as well with our son. Started to get bad Saturday night into Sunday and still vomiting as of today. My sympathies. Just try to keep them hydrated.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Storybots is a good one. Wild Kratts on PBS is our 4 year olds current obsession and it’s about as educational as any TV zoologist show.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

My wife worked up to and on her due date. She gave birth 12 hours after commuting home from Manhattan via bus. I had to bank and take 2 weeks vacation time to be home with them immediately afterwards. The US and New York in particular has/had horrific parental leave laws.

That was 2017 and we've since moved states and onto companies that allow for 14 weeks parental and 22 weeks birth parent leave.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tagichatn posted:

Anybody have recommendations for tricycles for a 2yo? There's so many including ridiculous looking half tricycle half stroller things.
We have this Schwinn and it’s worked great for the 2-4 years. It’s solid and the push handle is easily removable for when you no longer need it.

https://a.co/ch6JyUj

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

My 4yo son wont eat meat at all. At one point a couple years ago we could get him to eat bits of hot dog but not any more. No chicken; no beef. He actively refuses even things like dinosaur nuggets. He claimed once that he wanted to try fish but when we actually got some for him it was a big lol nevemind.

He lives on pasta, cheese, bread, and fruit. Those seem healthy enough so we pretty much roll with it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

We have one of those Hatch Rest+ sound machines that we initially had to turn the display clock off on because our son is a lunatic and wouldn't go to sleep because he'd just announce the minutes ticking by into the night.

He grew out of that since I guess it wasn't novel any more and we ended up turning the clock back on as a please stay in bed until at least 6:30 type of arrangement. Mixed results there but mostly good. He only wakes us up at 4-5am once a week now.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

JackBandit posted:

I live in Massachusetts and one of the popular chains around here, bright horizons, charged 3600 dollars a month. I immediately judge someone when I hear their kid goes there.

We also came across some smaller private ones that were over 4K a month.

We use one of the cheaper daycares in the area, and we get a 25% discount because of my wife’s work, and it’s still maybe 1500 a month for each of 2 children. On the plus side, I think there are a lot of programs around here for income-based subsidizing. I’ve heard home daycares are a lot cheaper, around 1000 a month. But when we were looking, they all laughed and said they had 2 year waiting lists.
Same. It's the reason my wife became a SAHM for the first few years before moving back into remote part-time. We would have been net losing money even while having someone else raise our kid for 8-10 hours a day.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I feel you. Whole family came down with Covid starting June 24th. It staggered its way through the house with me being the last to get it and taking the longest to test negative (17 days). I finally cleared it on Tuesday so we were looking forward to doing something this weekend and my kid has a temp and runny nose this morning so once again we’re sitting at home. For a month now.

We have a trip to the Cape next weekend we booked back in January and I’ll lose my mind if anyone is sick.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Me: Hey kid, feel like drawing or playing Candy Land?
Kid: Well how about slime and kinetic sand?
Me: :suicide:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Haha. We can't even get our 5 year old to eat mashed potatoes nevermind meat. He had breaded rolls, cheese, and penne with butter for Thanksgiving.

He just says the turkey is not to his liking and he’ll try it again when he’s 53 years old.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

‘Sleepytime’ is definitely top 5. If you’d like the same type of vibe with a little more whimsy, a newer episode called ‘Rain’ is pretty fantastic.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tried doing that with a buttered mini bagel left untouched for 45 minutes. Learned my lesson.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

space uncle posted:

My only gripe about that is packing kosher lunches when I like a turkey Swiss sandwich or make pork dumplings.
What's it like having a kid that eats more than just penne with butter and Little Bites muffins?

I ask my son to just try the mashed potatoes maybe he'll like it, and he'll be like, "I think I'll try it when I'm.... 38 years old".

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

My son was pretty obsessed with Numberblocks from 2-4. Has all annuals and plushies.

A bit less interested now but it really got him started in math at a young age. They’re good by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I have to say my 5 year old can be an ungrateful little poo poo.

We did a slime making boot camp today. Bought him a puzzle and a family game we could play. Wife and I thought we had a great day but he still threw an enormous fit over not getting something trivial at the end. He never says thank you. Never expresses any gratitude. I’m like half an inch away from making him work a soup kitchen.