Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Checking in, wife is 22 weeks along with boy/girl twins. First kids 😱

Just got a Thule Chariot double from my parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

Sorry if this is an offensive question, but I always wonder about fraternal twins like this - did you conceive via IVF? Or are you guys genetically inclined for twins?

IVF, although my wife’s family has lots of twins.

Also no offense taken at all, I’m surprised there is such a stigma around talking about IVF and miscarriages.

We did a couple IUIs that ended up not taking or ending in miscarriage. IVF solved the problem (genetic factor) that was filtered out in the genetic testing process.

If we had kept going down IUI we would’ve ended up miscarrying over and over. Out of the 20 embryos we created only 3 were considered “good” enough for implantation.

Yay science.

bomb fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 4, 2019

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Tamarillo posted:

In NZ only one embryo is transferred unless the maternal age >35 and there are other co-factors that decrease the chance of a single embryo sticking; so while we get a lot of people assuming twins are from IVF it's not really that common in practice here. My son is an IVF baby and I was only given the option of a single embryo transfer. I do agree the wariness to talk about it has eased in recent years - I've never hidden the fact we needed intervention. In fact it was bloody useful because it let me perfectly time my pregnancy to allow me the most time off with my son when he was born.

We were given the option of 1, 2, or even 3. Our friends just had Triplets from putting in 2 which is nuts. 2 identical girls and a third girl.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Strangest part about miscarriage is once you start talking to people about it you start to realize it’s happened to most parents you know.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

Make sure it's good support, preferably from people who have recent experience helping out new parents...

Shortly after we had our kid, I had to travel a bunch for work. At one point I added it up and in the first 4-5 months of my daughter's life, I was gone for about 1 month total (not all at the same time, a week here and there). I was able to take 4 weeks off work after the birth (3 whopping days of paternity + burning all my vacation time + some unpaid time, lol America), then after 1 week of being back in the office I had to hit the road on and off for a while.

My in-laws (her parents) came up to help once or twice while I was out of town, and all they really did was sit around, watch TV, and criticize my wife in everything she did. I mean, I think they helped keep my wife fed, and maybe once they did A Chore, but that's really about it. The worst was that she had low supply (not like clinically low, but she never had excess) and our daughter had colic, so her parents were always aggressively pushing her to use some super-expensive formula. Reason being is that my wife had colic as a baby, and that super-expensive formula was the "magic thing" that made it stop (it probably wasn't).

It was extremely stressful for her (and me too of course), and even though it's been well over a year I still hate myself for leaving her alone so much.

Wow, sorry for all the E/N bullshit, but the moral of the story is don't be afraid to tell people to gently caress off if they aren't actually helping you.

Both of our parents live a couple hours away, thankfully we both have good leave policies so the plan is to just chill the first 3 months or so. My Sister-in-law is a special ed teacher for a grade school and she's going to come stay with us for a few weeks and trade off with my mom. In-laws are dealing with cancer treatment at the moment so we will see how things go with all of that.

We are definitely considering an au pair at this point, we live in a desirable area and have a separate unit for them to stay in.

It's going to be interesting.

bomb fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 5, 2019

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Twins are here a couple of weeks early so lots of time in the NICU while wife pumps and heals from csect at home.

Babes definitely like being held, little girl is a couple ounces ahead of the boy and is a little bit ahead in feeding.

We’ve been pumping every two hours but only one side is producing consistently. We are getting a decent amount overall.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Congrats! I hope you have a good support system, the first six months are hell. Once you get past the first year it’s a lot of fun and really cool to see how different their personalities are.

Lots of friends with twins and triplets and our neighbors just had their second kid in January. 3 of my really close friends are having kids in November, December, and January. I have a month off from work outside of FMLA and Paternity leave and my wife is taking at least 3 months off. Her parents will be helping us out a bit while she heals up from csect and afterward. My parents are pretty far away but I think they’ll come help out as well.

Not sleeping for the next forever will suck for sure but so far they aren’t super fussy babes so here’s hoping the home transition goes well.

*edit* Wife’s good friend that’s a twin mom is a school teacher and has the whole summer off. They’ll be helping us a bunch.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Shyfted One posted:

Any recommendations for using a wireless camera with an app for a baby monitor that would work over an intranet? We're going on vacation and the range of our regular monitor isn't that great and I'd like to be able to check on the kids while sitting on the dock. Bringing a router with us is no big deal and the range should be fine since we're not that far from the dock. There's like a 100 $40 cameras on Amazon that probably all use the exact same parts, but he'll if I can figure out which one to get.

We ended up getting the Arlo baby camera and it works great. As far as intranet are you saying completely disconnected from the internet?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

P-Mack posted:

Yeah, we probably would have died raising the twins without having two grandmas nearby. But now we're living further away from grandma 1 and grandma 2 is working more hours so we can't lean on them as much as we used to.

Thanks for the helpful advice everyone!

We are taking our twins home tomorrow, my wife is off for the next 2 months and I’m off for the next couple weeks but family is pretty far away so we may be stuck at home for the next forever

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Taking on twins solo in the middle of the night isn’t time consuming at all 😵

Working on figuring out how to bottle feed them both at the same time. I read to put them in their car seats but they are still on the smaller side so it’s not an ideal angle for the bottle.

Right now wife and I are trading off shifts trying to figure out how to make night time work with me working during the day.

Right now we have them on a 3 hour schedule with feedings at 11, 2, 5, and 8

I’ve taken in the 11 feeding solo, she solos 2am, and then we share 5am and 8am.

I’m pretty wiped out in the morning still, wondering y’all thoughts? I want to be fair to her sleep situation as well but I need to get back to work full time soon.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

GamingHyena posted:

We didn't have twins but rather a super colicky baby. The problem we had with multiple night shifts was that since our own sleep schedules were disrupted it was getting more difficult for the off duty parent to take advantage and get restful sleep for 3-4 hours. Eventually we decided on shifts with alternating days. On duty night was brutal but at least you could sort of make it up the next night since you got uninterrupted sleep.

Do you have an example of a schedule? Did you just alternate nights?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What's it like between feedings, are they sleeping? Do you wake them up for feedings?
Because if you are, I'd advise expanding the intervals gradually. If baby wants to sleep at night, they should.

They are actually hungrier in the evening so they are generally waking up right on the interval. We'll move up to 4 hours eventually but they are still very early on. We need to keep them on a schedule or else things are going to get crazy due to :twins: logistics.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I feel like I opened the wrong door and stepped whole-cloth into someone elses life and I am just, in every conceptual way, unsuited to what is being asked of me.

Don’t worry about it and just do it, it will be fine

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I'm unconvinced my presence in this child's life will be at all a net positive, given the trouble i've caused me.

Learn from it and help them avoid it

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

So we tried the sleep shift last night and my wife was able to get most of a night of sleep. She’s on duty tonight so I’m going to be in sleep heaven here in a few hours. I did manage to sleep 5 or 6 hours combined.

I think the biggest thing I’ve learned so far is that routine things from before the babies are still possible. You just have to want it enough and plan it out a little more. This twin multitasking is a huge dance but starting to be able to add things back in slowly has is encouraging.

Twins are a difficult puzzle, having a singlet would be so much easier.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

How did y’all get back into cooking your own meals and meal prep? Ideally I’d spend an hour or two on it tomorrow so that we would have some meals ready to go. It’s been way too much takeout so far.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Benagain posted:

I really appreciate everybody posting all this, including you phiz. My wife and i are about to start trying and my job is not going great and i'm freaked out about the future and i've just been not having a good time anticipating any of this. I'm lucky as hell in that i've got a good community of people having kids all around me right now but it's still terrifiying and it's nice to have a slight layer of distance to ask the "but seriously what if i don't bond with them for a while" questions.

Also i was watching a 6 week old briefly while it's mom was taking a shower and i calmed it down while holding it and basically okay, i can do that, i can calm a baby and change diapers.

Calming a baby and changing diapers are like 1/2 the things you need to know to be a newborn parent. Just throw food and baths in the mix and that’s everything.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Current status: On duty night and the twins are trading off murmuring to each other and making GBS threads themselves. They are pretty loud and aren’t crying

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I managed to feed both twins at the same time during feedings last night, cutting my feed times in half :clint:

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

We have the Arlo baby cam and it’s been great, I’ve been using HomeKit a ton since the babes arrived.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Twins only woke me up once to eat between 12:00 and 7am last night

Here’s hoping it lasts 🤞

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Poking my head in for a checkin:

Twins are at 3 months old, born at 33w. Wife and I have been doing on-duty nights so every other night is good sleep.

They’re around 12 pounds and we’ve been going on lots of walks to give mom a break.

Sleep is ok at best on-duty, right now they will sleep from 10-11 to 4-5ish so it still kinda sucks.

Dogs get along with them great and give them space.

2v1 is hard when they are both screaming and you need to prep bottles

Swings aren’t helping much anymore, we’ve started using the pacifiers more.

They are boy/girl twins which has been really interesting to observe. They have both leap frogged each other in size. She’s currently a pound bigger.

Taking them out in public is fun everyone is into the twin thing.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

Is this...is this not normal? My kid hasn’t slept through the night since her 4-month sleep regression, which is now half her life. She sleeps between us in bed and stirs restlessly every 2-3 hours (not always fully waking) until she gets a boob. I’m not sure she’s always hungry but my wife is a lighter sleeper and wakes up to feed her before I can react. I have tried suggesting that I try rocking her first but I think my wife sees it as her duty to soothe the baby with milk immediately if possible. And of course we don’t want to starve her. She eats every 2-3 hours during the day so we thought it would be natural for that to continue at night. Should we be expecting that she sleeps through the night by now?

We tried getting a weighted sleep sack; I don’t know if it was just a bad brand (Nested Bean) but it only seemed to make her more restless.

My 3 month old twins will go 10pm to 5:20am a couple times a week, on the other days they wake at 3 for a half feeding and then generally sleep until 7 or 8

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I wouldn’t get down on the development stuff. Watching twins develop has been a pretty big eye opener. Our girl is way more chatty/lots of range in her crying. The boy is more physical and can hold his pacifier and put it in his mouth. They have both taught each other these things, usually a couple days apart. A lot of the forum reading I’ve done has turned up lots of posts and then updates 2 years later wherein there was 0 issues/concerns.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Twins slept 10pm to 6:30am last night 😍

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

it's fine i'm fine

If you want to chat about new baby stuff hit me up my man

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Had all three kids by myself from Friday when I got home to just a little bit ago when the wife came home. They were good for the most part but I was starting to lose my poo poo this morning after that much solo parenting.

She walked in the door back from her trip, I kissed her, grabbed my keys and said “lunch for them is almost ready, I’m going to get a bite to eat. by myself.”

Then walked out the door. Thankfully we have a good relationship where we understand each other and know when the other one needs a break.

Isn’t it interesting how the relationship changes once you are juggling a few kids? When my wife is frustrated I try to take the kids on for as long as possible. I feel like we have both stepped up communication wise and understanding wise. Before there was more fussing about logistics 🤷‍♂️

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Just about to hit 6 months twin report:

* Sleep is mostly 8pm to 7am at this point
* Food is all figured out
* Looking forward to talking and crawling
* Lots of smiles and laughs
* Being a dad owns
* A nanny is a life saver

bomb fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 4, 2019

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

L0cke17 posted:

Our kid has now taught himself to sleep consistently with no effort on our part? We have done nothing, he's 11 weeks old, and he now puts himself to sleep around 830 and sleeps til 1 or 2. He then eats a massive amount of formula, then sleeps again. He's done it every night for over a week now.

The only downside is he now thinkts 630-10am is playtime....

My twins were like this at first. Congratulations by the way!

Twins are 13 months old now and they will sleep 6:30 to 6:30-7 now thankfully. 9 month sleep regression + teething + flu + twins was the worst we had it.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

devmd01 posted:

You suck too!

Our twins were awful for sleep, if I didn’t wake up immediately at first cry on the monitor and sprint across the house, that kid would wake the other one up and the wife and I would be up for half an hour or more trying to get them back down.

Twins are awesome and at 3+ years right now they are a ton of fun but drat if the first year wasn’t pure hell.

Nowadays between all three kids we are pretty much guaranteed solitude after 8PM but it took some work to get there.

We are having our third in December/January did you have the twins first or the singlet?

Day time napping is like you describe my son is sensitive to any light at all and doesn’t let his sister sleep sometimes.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

We didn’t even use our nursery until the twins were out of the bassinet in our room. Nesting anxiety is real also if there isn’t anything to nest.

It's like a 30 minute trip through target for anything you would need.

bomb fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 3, 2020

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

Any advice on dealing with a toddler in a cast? My ~21 month old slipped this morning at daycare and twisted his knee - he's in a temporary cast for at least week, at which point they'll do another x-ray to see if he needs it for 3-5 additional weeks.

He was pretty upset this morning and throughout the doctor visit but otherwise seems fine now. We'll be following the instructions carefully to hopefully stave off any further problems. Mostly I'm just worried that it will stunt his physical growth and/or his energy - he's a really active kid and not being able to run around with his friends at daycare or at home like he usually does seems like it could be damaging in a lot of ways.

It’ll go fast and he will bounce right back.

Sarah posted:

I pretty much did it cold turkey. When she woke up I would turn her white noise / light machine on and it has a 20 min timer. Rock her until it was off, then put her in bed. If she slept, yay! If she cried, I let her cry for no more than 21 min. If she was still crying, rinse repeat. Never took more than 2 cycles. Took a few nights for her to figure it out. I was cranky and slightly sleep deprived for a few days.

We did it cold turkey as well around 11 months. Solid food at 5-5:30ish, bed time routine, bed at 6:30ish, and then no food until 7-7:30am. We started after the 9 month regression. At 13 months we do 3 bottles a day and 3 meals. Bottles come after naps and breakfast.

We went by this schedule and it made things much easier I’m sure there’s something similar for your situation:

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Disregarding other factors, buying a new car so a 2yo can face rear seems like an extreme measure.

I feel sorry for people with twins who probably have to buy a $40k vehicle just to have space for two pumpkin seats. Or, y'know, have to ride the bus.

This is me we are about to have a third and I don’t want to get rid of my X3 :( the X5 third row option isn’t going to work. I like the Escalade but it’s not a BMW. Maybe I’ll just let my wife get a mini van and get an m3 I guess.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

What do Euros do about 3 children?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

We decided on a GLS 450 as our new baby wagon and it’s a thing of beauty. Pregnant wife can easily get the twins in the 3rd row.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Not so late night with Elmo is next level stuff if y'all haven't checked it out yet.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

My twins have their molars coming in right now and the 9 month sleep recession was way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Having 3 kids under 2 years old has been pretty crazy. I wonder how 4 kids would be since the jump from 2 to 3 seemed like a big jump.