Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

UPDATE AS OF 1/4/2014

Link to the SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/kcoolman

Spill.com as we know it is no more. Hollywood.com, the owner of Spill, pulled the plug on Spill shortly before Christmas Day. The website was already on shaky ground after Hollywood.com fired all core and auxiliary members of the Spill crew but Korey and Co-Host in May of 2013. It came at a time right after the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen had just made its planned ending. Korey was able to keep ACOCO going with Leon, retain the movie reviews, and created a new suite of podcasts for people to listen to five-days-a-week. But it is no more.

In response, Korey has created a Kickstarter campaign to continue their work and start anew. The Kickstarter has been very successful and exceeded its initial goal of $30,000 within hours. It has now exceeded $100,000 as of this update with one week to go. If you would like to donate to the Kickstarter, please defer to this link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573779592/it-aint-going-down-like-that-korey-colemans-new-si

Korey has been releasing new material via SoundCloud and posts updates through his Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/Kcoolman

Because the members of the main Spill crew except for Korey used pseudonyms for legal reasons, they are now going by their given names again, so it may be a bit confusing for any listeners that were unaware of their names. Once a new website is formed, I will create a new thread with information about the cast, the shows, and other major events.

From what we know, it seems that Tony (Co-Host) and Chris (Cyrus) will not be a part of Korey's new website in any major way like they were with Spill, but Martin (Leon) is remaining as Korey's partner in crime. Martin and Chris have ben running a spin-off website since the conclusion of LEOG known as One of Us: http://oneofus.net/

---

Spill.com was a movie review website and collection of podcasts focusing on movies, television, video games, pop culture, and general bullshit. The main attraction of Spill was its animated movie reviews that came out every week where the cast gives their thoughts on the film and imagines funny and strange ideas about things from the movie. Spill.com was the successor to The Reel Deal, a movie review show that was shown on public access television in Austin, Texas from 1997-2006.

The other draw to Spill was its social network. Although the site and its social network are no longer available, it was home to a very tightly knit community and meetups were a frequent occurrence and often times hosted or attended by one of the Spill crew members. From 2010-2013, Spill hosted an annual, weekend-long event known as Spill Dot Con and featured musical performances, live podcasts, pub crawls, and other events. Fans from around the world would gather for the convention.

CAST

Korey Coleman - the front man of the Spill crew. Korey is the creator of Spill.com and the lead animator and designer of the website. Korey is well known for chasing anything in a skirt, travelling the world, and for never being on time. Older jokes about Korey involve him sticking his dick into a vacuum cleaner, his love for older women, and for being on the animation team of Space Jam.

Leon (Martin Thomas) - Leon is the oldest member of the crew and is often made fun of for his age. Leon is a comic book artist who has freelanced for many different publishers, including DC and Marvel.

Cyrus (Chris Cox) - Cyrus is a career bartender and renaissance fat man. He adores cats, comics, and television and often has to apologize for the stupid antics that white people get themselves into in horror movies.

Co-Host 3000 (Tony Guerrero) - a robot made in Mexico by a Japanese engineer, Co-Host is the most crass of the group and loves anything to do with Batman, heavy metal, and B-movies. Co-Host used to only appear in reviews for movies that were considered awful and only with Korey, but has been a prominent member of the crew since 2009 and has a fanatical following on the site.

Carlyle (C. Robert Cargill) - Carlyle no longer participates on the website, but used to be one of the core members. Carlyle shares a love of B-movies with Co-Host, is a writer for Ain't It Cool News, and never passes an opportunity to mention his love for his wife, Jessica. Carlyle left the website in 2011 to pursue a couple of secret projects which have been novels and his first major motion picture: Sinister.

RATINGS

Instead of rating movies based on points or stars, the Spill crew instead gives its rating based on what kind of money the movie is worth spending on. The ratings are, from best to worst:

Better than sex! - the movie was absolutely flawless to the reviewer and is one of the best movies of the year. A movie with this rating is given the highest recommendation to see it.

Full price - the movie was well made and is worth seeing to the reviewer. The movie may have had some issues in one spot or another, but it is overall an excellent movie to see.

Matinee - the movie was flawed or very average, but not weak. This rating recommends that you see the movie as the discounted early show.

Rental - the movie was not very good, but not awful to watch. It might be an interesting movie to rent on a weekend, but is not recommended to be seen at the theatre.

Some old bullshit - this rating is given to movies that were poorly made or are just dreadful to watch. Movies with this rating usually irritate the reviewer.

gently caress you! - one of the worst movies of the year. The movie was so bad that the crew left the screening angry or disgusted and may have even walked out in the movie.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I love Spill because it seems like they've got a good cross section of people to do reviews. The same guys who can show a huge amount of love to super hero and genre films can also do really good reviews of films like The Artist or Winter's Bone.

The Oogieloves review was amazing. Korey and Co-Host having to go to the worst kid's movies is always a treat especially when they end up being alone in the theater.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I wonder if there are full episodes of the Reel Deal floating around all I can find are clips.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I love this site. Their laid back style means its great background listening while doing work, and they have a good connection with their fan community.

A great thing to do with the site is to go to the Let's Do This archives and go through them from the beginning. You see how all the in-jokes are created and learn about all of Korey's crazy stories.

What do you guys think of Billy? I do like him, but to be honest I preferred LDT before he joined. Co-Host and Korey just have such great chemistry that Billy isn't always able to match. But sometimes, when he's on a roll, he's hilarious.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

My favorite Billy moment has got to be his reaction to Howard Stern buzzing that kid on America's Got Talent. Billy has a really infectious laugh

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

achillesforever6 posted:

My favorite Billy moment has got to be his reaction to Howard Stern buzzing that kid on America's Got Talent. Billy has a really infectious laugh
The guy's also got really funny voices too. "90 days? That's my middle name!"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So what happened to Cyrus? We haven't seen him in awhile.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

BigRed0427 posted:

Family emergency.

EDIT: His ringer is Brian Salsberry. Decent reviewer, actually.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BigRed0427 posted:

I know his father is on the last leg of his life, but I can't remember what it is that he has. Visiting his father was one of the major parts of the road trip he was on earlier.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Honestly, as much as I love LEOG the early episodes are tough to listen to because jesus god Beau could be annoying. He DOMINATED every loving conversation and would never let anyone get a word in edgewise.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Star Man posted:

I know his father is on the last leg of his life, but I can't remember what it is that he has. Visiting his father was one of the major parts of the road trip he was on earlier.
I think it was Pancreatic Cancer

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Star Man posted:

Carlyle (C. Robert Cargill) - Carlyle no longer participates on the website, but used to be one of the core members. Carlyle shares a love of B-movies with Co-Host, is a writer for Ain't It Cool News, and never passes an opportunity to mention his love for his wife, Jessica. Carlyle left the website in 2011 to pursue a couple of secret projects which have been novels and his first major motion picture: Sinister.

I have been listening to them ever since my friend sent me their review of New Moon. And the best decision they ever made was letting Carlyle go. That guy was your atypical arrogant nerd. The way he would browbeat everyone got really grating.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
What I love about the site and its reviewers is that they aren't afraid of making people angry. Look at a lot of the CA guys (especially Nostalgia Critic and Linkara), and they kowtow to the fanbase so they won't piss them off. This makes their stuff really mediocre.

The Spill Crew don't give a gently caress. They'll bring up the controversial points and address them. They've come into conflict with Bronies and 4chan and not once have they apologized. Not to say that they're a bunch of insulting assholes, as they are genuinely concerned about their fanbase and other people. If the TGWTG guys got on the Bronies bad side, they'd be on defcon 1 of damage control. Korey, Cyrus, Leon, and Co-Host took the time to state their position and make it clear that they're not here to pander. It's incredibly refreshing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Also I loved how they would do stuff involving politics or race issues on LDT even though a lot of their fans get pissy about it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Evil_Urna posted:

I have been listening to them ever since my friend sent me their review of New Moon. And the best decision they ever made was letting Carlyle go. That guy was your atypical arrogant nerd. The way he would browbeat everyone got really grating.

That's also the same time that I heard about the website. The animated review was linked to in the discussion of New Moon in Cinema Discusso. I don't hate Carlyle, but I can agree that I don't miss him either. Cyrus is the one that feels the most abrasive to me.

achillesforever6 posted:

Also I loved how they would do stuff involving politics or race issues on LDT even though a lot of their fans get pissy about it.

I don't understand why people get upset over that. That podcast is meant to be free form and about whatever the gently caress they want it to be. It's not like issues about gender, race, or politics need to be reserved for a ~*~very special~*~ episode.

But yeah, Brony week was pretty entertaining just because the fans got their panties in a knot over the whole thing and the crew gave no fucks about it.

There are a couple of things that annoy me a bit: sometimes the lack of knowledge or confusing one thing for another and Austin itself. I knew what Korey, Leon, and the third guy they had with them were talking about on ACOCO when they would keep saying "Allah" instead of "Mohammed" when they were talking about the Libyan embassy being destroyed, but it was enough to get on my nerves. Usually that doesn't happen, but it was one of those things that were in the news enough and in similar events in the past that I think they knew better. I also get a little put off whenever I hear about (and usually from Cyrus) about whatever thing is from Austin or started there. I'm from and live in Wyoming; I don't give enough of a poo poo about some hip whatever coming from Austin.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 24, 2012

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Star Man posted:

But yeah, Brony week was pretty entertaining just because the fans got their panties in a knot over the whole thing and the crew gave no fucks about it.

I had to listen to the LDT where they talk about bronies. The comments are worse then usual.

That is one thing about Spill that is very bothersome. The content is great, more then great actually. I would say they are some of the best in there field. But the on site community is on the level of Youtube comments.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It really can be. I avoid the comments and just listen to the feed through Winamp. The most that I've done with the Ning stuff is I started a Wyoming group and of the seven of us, only me and one other person have really said anything.

Quite a few of the people who get on the call-in show are pretty annoyiing too and it often turns into a bunch of kids using it as an advice show. I've tried to get on once because I want to ask Korey about art-related things that he's done, but got edged out by people who are on it no less than every other time, despite him wanting new callers.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

So I know Korey works for the site full-time, but I don't see how the other guys can make a living from 1 or 2 podcasts a week. Have they ever mentioned if they have side jobs? I'm pretty sure Martin Leon does some animation related work but I don't know about the others.

Edit: VVV Yeah that's a really good point. Each movie they watch is 90 minutes or more of their lives and then there's recording the reviews, the podcasts, editing them, etc.

bowser fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 4, 2012

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

bowser posted:

So I know Korey works for the site full-time, but I don't see how the other guys can make a living from 1 or 2 podcasts a week. Have they ever mentioned if they have side jobs? I'm pretty sure Martin Leon does some animation related work but I don't know about the others.

I know that in ACOCO, Korey mentioned that Martin/Leon is the only one who doesn't work full time on the site. I know that he works for another company in Austin and does freelance work, but he never says what he does, who he works for, and doesn't have a personal or professional website. I have no idea what Tony/Co-Host does outside of Spill. I think he's been involved with film making in some capacity in Austin, but I have no idea. Chris/Cyrus is a bartender. He does write for the website as well, so he's got more than just podcasts going on.

But, even though all we see from them is the podcasts and their writing, you ahve to remember that they have to take the time to watch the movies at the theatre as well as take in the other media that they review and discuss, process it, record the podcasts or write about it, edit all of it, and have it ready for an audience every week.

Not that I'm trying to be patronizing, but all that time for each one of them to get their work out there does add up and can very quickly.

Don lluvia
Mar 27, 2010
I love these guys. Their podcasts are my go-to source for background noise for when I'm doing chores or riding the buss or stuff like that. Great the whole lot of them. Except Billy. gently caress Billy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Things I learned on LEOG this week:

How Harris lost his virginity after a Halloween party in college.
    Kayla is open about an awful lot of things.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
This week's Let's Do This!! brought to you by GLUTE-BOOST!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Benny the Snake posted:

This week's Let's Do This!! brought to you by GLUTE-BOOST!

With special guest Alan, who talks as much as a brick wall.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I love how Alan appears to have zero emotion and yet he still cracks the entire crew up just by being there.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

bowser posted:

I love how Alan appears to have zero emotion and yet he still cracks the entire crew up just by being there.
I remember the Mr.Horse saga, and how much they would gently caress with Alan as he got angrier and angrier.

Also I don't care what people said, Alan's talent in the talent show was awesome just in its surrealism.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

achillesforever6 posted:

I remember the Mr.Horse saga, and how much they would gently caress with Alan as he got angrier and angrier.

Also I don't care what people said, Alan's talent in the talent show was awesome just in its surrealism.

I've only started listening to LDT again since this Mr. Horse thing was already a thing of the past, so everything's over my head. But yeah, it sounded like Alan's talent for the talent show is meta as gently caress.

Right now, I'm trying to hold off on listening to anything on Sinister because I do want to check it out, even if it's only because Carlyle co-wrote it. I'm also hoping there's a call-in show this week because I want to ask Korey about some fine art stuff, but I'm probably going to get shoved out of line by the people that are on it every loving week.

I also sent Martin/Leon a message with some questions about comic book coloring and why people do it the way they do these days (most of it sucks and is trying to do things that the line art isn't allowing for), but I haven't heard back from him. Is sending them a message to their Spill profile the best way to reach them or is there a better way?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Star Man posted:

I've only started listening to LDT again since this Mr. Horse thing was already a thing of the past, so everything's over my head. But yeah, it sounded like Alan's talent for the talent show is meta as gently caress.

Right now, I'm trying to hold off on listening to anything on Sinister because I do want to check it out, even if it's only because Carlyle co-wrote it. I'm also hoping there's a call-in show this week because I want to ask Korey about some fine art stuff, but I'm probably going to get shoved out of line by the people that are on it every loving week.

I also sent Martin/Leon a message with some questions about comic book coloring and why people do it the way they do these days (most of it sucks and is trying to do things that the line art isn't allowing for), but I haven't heard back from him. Is sending them a message to their Spill profile the best way to reach them or is there a better way?
I sent them a message thru site PM. I wonder what comics Leon has worked on.

Edit: Found this off Vimeo where Martin "Leon" Thomas discusses the art of comic books.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 19, 2012

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
That's how I sent him a message, and I have seen that video on Vimeo because I was hoping I would learn something from it. And I did, but not enough to be satisfied.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
been a fan of spill for a few years now, it was actually because of this site. Was looking for a movie review site for some reason and some guy posted one moutain dew sipping dweeb steeped in hyperbole on how bad a movie was and then i found spill.

I found myself getting addicted to audio reviews then the LEOG since they used to be like three hour shows. I liked Lets do this, but it got too much with the web videos and whatnot. They aren't really that funny.

I look forward to remote viewing and as much as carlyle was an rear end, I'm happy his movie did well opening weekend.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have only just begun hearing Al Frank talk about himself on this week's ACOCO and the only thing I can say about it is :stare:

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Al Frank is a...troubled individual. It seems like he's got his life under control now a lot more than before but it has obviously had its effect on him.

What do you guys think of Brian Salisbury on the reviews? I've gotta say he does a pretty good job filling in for Cyrus. He kind of fills the same niche but he's got a unique style as well. I hope he continues guesting on the occasional review once Cyrus is back.

...Also I do hope Cyrus is able to make it back before the 2012 LEOG Blue Christmas episode, although I don't want to wish anything bad on his father for that to happen :ohdear:.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My opinion is that I don't miss Cyrus at all. He's my least favorite of the group as far as the personality that comes through in the podcasts and such. But I don't like the reasons that he's gone and I feel like an rear end in a top hat for liking that he's away :smith: But things like him wearing his geekiness on his sleeve and letting out so much really drives me up a creek.

Once ACOCO finished, I was feeling a little bit irate because it was another case of Korey and Leon talking about something that they didn't know the full story about. This time, the person they were talking about that went on some tirade that men are scum because she got propositioned at 4 AM did no such thing. The person they're talking about, Rebecca Watson, brought the subject up after giving a talk at a skeptic's conference about how men need to be better mannered and respectful to the female membership and that things like propositioning someone on an elevator late at night is not a good idea. I know that those guys mean better than they do, but it gets on my nerves so much when they forget the rest of the story or don't know about it. I felt the same last week when they were talking about Daniel Tosh and his kerfuffle over a rape joke. The issue wasn't that he told a bad rape joke during his routine, but that he insulted a female heckler by making a crack about how it would be funny if she were gang raped. I brought it up to Korey once in a private message on the website, but I haven't heard from him or anything since, and the same since I tried to reach Leon about comic book coloring. I guess those guys get so many messages all the time that mine will be read, if it even gets read, sometime in 3000 AD. I want to try and send a follow-up, but I don't want to come off as pushy or get a "we'll get to you when we get to you" kind of message.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Star Man posted:

I have only just begun hearing Al Frank talk about himself on this week's ACOCO and the only thing I can say about it is :stare:
Al Frank is an anomaly You'd expect him to be a serial killer but he's just so calm and collected. Given his past, it's just uncanny.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
This week's Let's Do This!! is a Halloween special. Highlights include a pastor who exorcises gay demons, Disney/Lucas discussion, and a special treat. A snippet from their old access TV show.

Co-Host looks like a character from a 90's live-action show for some reason. Like a Power Ranger reject.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I've never heard anyone take so long to get to the point as Allan. That man is frustrating to listen to. The Narnia bit was absolutely hilarious, though.

Also, Cyrus is back :woop:.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Holy crap, today's LEOG was hillarious. I think it's Caytlin who impersonates Lady Farichild having sex with King Friday from Mr. Roger's Neighborhod :roflolmao:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The last LEOG has, for me, sealed the lid that Peter (Fungus Monkey) is an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Star Man posted:

The last LEOG has, for me, sealed the lid that Peter (Fungus Monkey) is an insufferable rear end in a top hat.
Refresh my memory?

Oh and on this week's A Couple of Cold Ones: Korey doesn't like Django Unchained very much. I smell Oscar controvesy! :allears:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Benny the Snake posted:

Refresh my memory?

It was that week's LEOG. Peter/Fungus Monkey made a fuss that George Lucas gave the four billion dollars he received from Disney to his own educational foundation. He didn't like it because he thinks that rich people just donate to their own charities that they create just so they can get the tax write-off. So, because it wasn't purely an act of altruism, that makes that money dirty and George Lucas an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

So if I ever attend Spill Dot Con, I'm going to greet Peter with a Louisville Slugger right to his throat. What a loving rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Star Man posted:

It was that week's LEOG. Peter/Fungus Monkey made a fuss that George Lucas gave the four billion dollars he received from Disney to his own educational foundation. He didn't like it because he thinks that rich people just donate to their own charities that they create just so they can get the tax write-off. So, because it wasn't purely an act of altruism, that makes that money dirty and George Lucas an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

So if I ever attend Spill Dot Con, I'm going to greet Peter with a Louisville Slugger right to his throat. What a loving rear end in a top hat.
Despite the fact that it's often true, that doesn't render the donation null and void. It's annoying, yes, but why should the kids suffer? That was the perfect shitstorm of :spergin: and :argh:.

• Locked thread