Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Guyver posted:

:siren: Vertical's twitter is talking about The Origin preorders. About 2000 from Diamond and Amazon right now so the print run looks like it will be about 4000 with no reprints. They're almost begging people to preorder from Barnes and Noble to get the numbers up so they'll carry it in the store.

If you haven't preordered yet but plan to give Barnes and Noble a look. :siren:

Fly, Gundam!
Gundam is an ongoing metaseries of highly popular mecha anime produced by Sunrise. Gundam has revolutionized the mecha genre since it was first premiered in 1979 by writer/director Yoshiyuki Tomino. Prior to Gundam, all mecha series were "super robots" shows, with people piloting massive and often reality-defying robots against monsters and aliens. Gundam presented a story that was very different: one of humans conflicts with other humans using human-shaped mecha known as Mobile Suits as weapons of war. They were realistic, piloted machines, analogous of modern day mechanized weaponry. It wasn't a battle between man and monster, but man and man, relate-able people on both sides fighting both out for ideals and desire, in a war of horrific proportions and costs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c30IcxtrnU

And it quite simply exploded from there, vastly affecting Japanese anime, sci-fi, and pop-culture as a whole. Gundam has become something of a national icon in Japan, and abroad it has become highly acclaimed both for both its plot and merchandise. It's Japan's "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" simultaneously.

Universes
Gundam started off with Mobile Suit Gundam, set in 0079 of the Universal Century. From it's cinematic success, Tomino expanded the Universal Century setting into several acclaimed (and sometimes less acclaimed) sequels, joined later by contributions by other directors.

But the Universal Century setting isn't the only one; Gundam actually has quite a few "Alternate Universes" now, each with their own feel and thematic direction.

Universal Century [1979-]
    Mobile Suit Gundam [1979] (UC 0079)
    Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin [???] (UC 0079) *REMIX*
    Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team [1996] (UC 0079)
    Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO [2004-] (UC 0079)
    Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket [1989] (UC 0079)
    Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory [1991] (UC 0083)
    Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam [1985] (UC 0087)
    Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ [1986] (UC 0088)
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack [1988] (UC 0093)
    Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn [2010-] (UC 0095)
    Mobile Suit Gundam F91 [1991] (UC 0123)
    Mobile Suit Victory Gundam [1993] (UC 0153)
Future Century [1994]
    Mobile Fighter G Gundam [1995] (FC 60)
After Colony [1995-1997]
    New Mobile Report Gundam Wing [1995] (AC 195)
    New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz [1997] (AC 196)
After War [1995]
    After War Gundam X [1995] (AW 0015)
Correct Century [1999]
    Turn A Gundam [1999] (CC 2345)
Cosmic Era [2002-2006]
    Mobile Suit Gundam SEED [2002] (CE 71)
    Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny [2004] (CE 73)
    Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: Stargazer [2006] (CE 73)
Anno Domini [2007-2010]
    Mobile Suit Gundam 00 [2007] (2307 AD)
    Mobile Suit Gundam 00 S2 [2008] (2311 AD)
    Mobile Suit Gundam 00: A Wakening of the Trailblazer [2010] (2314 AD)
Anno "Toyetic" Domini [2010]
    Model Suit Gunpla Builders Beginning G [2010] (2010 AD)
Advanced Generation [2010]
    Mobile Suit Gundam AGE [2010] (AG 101)

Recommended watching order for the Universal Century (UC) setting varies; many of the UC side stories are ultimately without affect on the timeline, but many of those side stories are also extremely good series.

The "core" series of the plot of Universal Century are generally considered to be the Mobile Suit Gundam movies, the Zeta Gundam TV Series, and Char's Counterattack. Everything else pretty much just "fills" in and covers the intervening years and adds more cool conflicts and stuff. Overall the Univesal Century series and movies are pretty good.

All of the other universe/ settings come down to personal taste. I think Future Century (G Gundam) and Correct Century (Turn A Gundam) were awesome as hell. Anno Domini was middle of the road. After War was meh. After Colony is stupid. I couldn't stand Cosmic Era. The Advanced Generation is mentally offensive. The tastes of people in ADTRW vary quite a bit on these, so chances are your own mileage will vary.

What's New in Gundam?
  • Bandai has decided to abandon the North America market entirely, and has ceased production outright on Gundam products here. Their Japanese-style business practices have caused them to conclude that they'd be better off not even trying.
  • Gundam AGE just ended. It was awful. Sunrise has basically said outright that they hosed up.
  • Gundam Origin is still up in the air. We know nothing of their plans.
  • Gundam Unicorn is still slowly coming out, and it still owns. It's making Sunrise all the dollars, all of them.
  • G-Reko, Tomino's new novel/media series, is apparently going to be animated. We have no idea what the deal with it is, one way or another.
Links
SA Links
Resources

And remember:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMTfWsb-jQk

Zorak fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV1g1fW1gDw

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So...it can only get better from here, right?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

TaurusOxford posted:

I bet that's what you all thought after SEED Destiny, too.

I'm sure the Gundam franchise will find someway to surprise us again.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

TaurusOxford posted:

Kids these days just can't relate to space colonies, so they're going to run this poo poo three times as into the ground.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am not sure it can get worse than AGE. A plot that is more incoherent would have to descend into intentional surrealism and even that would be more interesting and require more effort than AGE's plot.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

ImpAtom posted:

I am not sure it can get worse than AGE. A plot that is more incoherent would have to descend into intentional surrealism and even that would be more interesting and require more effort than AGE's plot.

If the CAD and DD mock threads in BSS have taught me anything, it's that, yes, it is possible to have a shittier, more incoherent plot than AGE.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Thats amazing. I haven't seen AGE but I really just assumed destiny was the series hitting its rock bottom.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Thats amazing. I haven't seen AGE but I really just assumed destiny was the series hitting its rock bottom.

Maybe it has changed since then, but about halfway through the series someone posted the japanese tv ratings for every Gundam show, and AGE was dead last.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wait, where was the public admission that Sunrise hosed up with AGE?

This I gotta see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Destiny was badly executed and stupid but at least had the semblance of a coherent plot structured by someone who at least vaguely understood writing, even if they were bad at it.

AGE manages to be worse on almost every level. Even as far as near-invincibility goes, the final protagonist actually has less overall difficulty than Strike Freedom or 00 Raiser. There is no a single thing AGE does which makes even remote sense. It also manages to be the most misogynistic Gundam series which is a pretty loving impressive deal on top of that.

I am seriously tempted to just write up a giant post of all the poo poo in AGE which makes no sense because it is a long list.

TaurusOxford posted:

Maybe it has changed since then, but about halfway through the series someone posted the japanese tv ratings for every Gundam show, and AGE was dead last.

Still dead last. Also worth noting is that Zeheart's voice actor actually came out and said he has absolutely no idea what the hell is up with his character and was pretty annoyed by it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 23, 2012

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

They'll just make an entire 50 episode show about a Kio style protagonist who refuses to kill anyone on the battlefield, rarely helps, nevermind saves his allies even when the enemy are cutting them down and never considers that his methods might be wrong.

Darth Walrus posted:

Wait, where was the public admission that Sunrise hosed up with AGE?

This I gotta see.

I think that's referring to Sunrise coming out and saying that Unicorn is the series that's currently making them money and that AGE didn't do as well as hoped. It wasn't a straight up admission that AGE was poo poo and failing by all accounts, just them saying that Unicorn was doing well enough that they were going to let AGE play out even though it under performed.

Even the game is bombing. They were hoping to shift a million units and only sold 35, 000 in the first week or two apparently. They really shouldn't have made the anime till the game had been released, and even then should have been willing to rewrite it as needed to make a coherent animated plot rather than slavishly following the games plot regardless of pacing and common sense. The anime didn't draw audiences at the start at least partially due to the character art and failed to retain them because it was dull as poo poo, where as if the game had been released first people would probably have been more willing to check it out just based on Level 5 making it and wouldn't have cared about the art style. Now that the anime has garnered such a bad reputation though it looks like no one wants to bother with the game, even in Japan. Pure speculation of course, but they appear to have done it the wrong way around entirely.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 23, 2012

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, out of curiosity, did the Japanese hate AGE as much as we did? I seem to remember Destiny, bad as it was, going over okay overseas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, out of curiosity, did the Japanese hate AGE as much as we did? I seem to remember Destiny, bad as it was, going over okay overseas.

Bad ratings, bad sales, and to my understanding the MB reaction was general disdain and/or disgust from the very beginning. It certainly is nowhere remotely SEED/Destiny level.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
Watching 00 season 2 for the first time. Man, this is getting kind of dumb but whatever. I'll stick with it. Another SA member I happen to be staying with is making me watch the entirety of 00.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sandpiper posted:

Watching 00 season 2 for the first time. Man, this is getting kind of dumb but whatever. I'll stick with it. Another SA member I happen to be staying with is making me watch the entirety of 00.

If that's the price of having a place to stay you're getting a good deal.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

sandpiper posted:

You don't know how good you have it...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

You don't know how good you have it...

To be fair, 00 S2 is pretty poo poo. It's just that it's far from the worst thing to come out of the franchise.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I never really watched AGE all the way through, just the first few episodes of each generation then I worked with spoilers posted in the thread after that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If folks don't want to download Gundam Style, here's an upload of it on Tumblr
http://suribot.tumblr.com/post/32025863954/lets-see-if-this-works-right-if-it-does-there

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Darth Walrus posted:

To be fair, 00 S2 is pretty poo poo. It's just that it's far from the worst thing to come out of the franchise.

We both hate AGE but we're finishing it up too. So yeah.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

So, I've been slowly, 1 episode a day, watching allllll the Gundam series over the past two years. I'm almost all caught up, just gotta get through SEED, AGE, 08th MS Team, and Unicorn.

I gotta say, after watching all this crap, they all seem to just blend together into forgettable, mediocre cliches. Don't get me wrong, there were a few bright lights here and there. I enjoyed Gundam 00 (the whole thing), since it actually felt like a non-Gundam series (it had real emotion and consequences for characters' actions). G Gundam was pretty drat hilarious and a break from the standard plots that all the other series have.

The rest, though... I dunno, I tend to zone out when watching them. I finished Turn A most recently and it was pretty much the same as After War X, which was the same as Victory. Boy pilot, got a magical girlfriend who has powers, devastating Gundam weapon could destroy world, blah blah blahhhhhh...

Sorry, I just had to get this off my chest. I'm still going to watch the remaining series because hey, robots! It's just annoying that none of their storylines or characters really gripped me ever since 00.

EDIT: Oh! I forgot, 0080: War in the Pocket really made me tear up. It was a great little series. And Unicorn isn't so bad because the budget makes everything explode real good. Also, the Crossbone Gundam manga was amazing and should have been an anime series.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 23, 2012

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Do yourself a favor and just skip SEED (or at least Destiny) and AGE. If you're tired of Gundam shows rehashing the same poo poo over and over again, they are only going to waste your time. Especially AGE, which is basically "Take all the tropes and cliches from Gundam and smash them together with no thought paid to thematic coherence or how to make them work together: The Series". It's like a TVTropes Gundam fanfiction, except with less :tvtropes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

Do yourself a favor and just skip SEED (or at least Destiny) and AGE. If you're tired of Gundam shows rehashing the same poo poo over and over again, they are only going to waste your time. Especially AGE, which is basically "Take all the tropes and cliches from Gundam and smash them together with no thought paid to thematic coherence or how to make them work together: The Series". It's like a TVTropes Gundam fanfiction, except with less :tvtropes:

SEED hews more closely to the original Mobile Suit Gundam than Destiny does Zeta, for what that's worth.

Seriously though if you've gotten this far you may as well finish them all so you'll never have to wonder.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm this far along riding this crazy train, I might as well stay on it until I reach the final destination.

Is... is it wrong that I started this whole multi-hundred-episode viewing endeavor because I bought the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games and I didn't want to be spoiled when I played the story modes? :ohdear:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honestly with the DW:G games as long as you don't look up character profiles (which will outright tell you what happens to them at the end) they don't spoil much non-UC stuff at all.

They just can't recreate the plots for most non-UC shows because there's so few characters. They've included so many minor characters from UC shows, but there's so few for the others. Heck, to name one example DW:G3 has Garrod as a playable character but none of the Gundam X antagonists are in it (or any other characters, besides Tifa as a supporting role). So his missions are just original stuff happening because they can't do anything else.

The only thing that comes close in those games is G Gundam since you have Domon, Master Asia, and the Devil Gundam. But even then it's obviously an incredibly simplified version.

edit: I did the same initially until I figured out that the profiles are the only thing you need to worry about.

Srice fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 23, 2012

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Is... is it wrong that I started this whole multi-hundred-episode viewing endeavor because I bought the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games and I didn't want to be spoiled when I played the story modes? :ohdear:

You're not alone. :shobon:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The lack of G Gundam characters in a game based around mobile suits beating each other up is just wrong.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

JazzFlight posted:

So far this year I have watched all the major UC shows and movies plus X, Turn-A and 00, this was mostly inspired by playing DW Gundam 3. Though I found them pretty distinct even watched at such a rapid pace, sure the themes are still there but the difference in execution between something like Victory and Turn-A are huge.

(I've also been rapid watching One Piece to catch up so I can play Pirate Warriors without getting spoiled, so far I'm only 200 episodes behind!)

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Didn't SEED/Destiny fracture the Japanese fanbase so hard that the people who really would have lost their poo poo over AGE just...aren't around anymore?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

JazzFlight posted:

The rest, though... I dunno, I tend to zone out when watching them. I finished Turn A most recently and it was pretty much the same

Did we watch the same show? Turn A's radically different from the rest of the franchise. Especially Victory.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rei_ posted:

Didn't SEED/Destiny fracture the Japanese fanbase so hard that the people who really would have lost their poo poo over AGE just...aren't around anymore?

No. If that was true Gundam Unicorn wouldn't be making a bajillion dollars.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BlitzBlast posted:

Did we watch the same show? Turn A's radically different from the rest of the franchise. Especially Victory.

It's radically different in tone and theme but the basic idea of the story is pretty similar. Then again, so is pretty much all Gundam if you reduce it down far enough, at least when it comes to the tv shows.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 24, 2012

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Rei_ posted:

Uh? CE is the most popular Gundam outside of the original UC timeline.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Right, but he's saying that SEED fans aren't necessarily Gundam fans. Which is probably true, you don't see a lot of Amuro/Char yaoi.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Whizbang posted:

Right, but he's saying that SEED fans aren't necessarily Gundam fans. Which is probably true, you don't see a lot of Amuro/Char yaoi.

And let's keep it that way. :ohdear:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 5, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Whizbang posted:

Considering that I've seen official Gundam joke mangas make reference to the fact that Char and Amuro have the gay jokes going about them, I don't really think this is true. I imagine you don't see a lot of it because you're not going out of your way to find it and don't frequent anywhere on the internet (or real life, I'd guess, with Japanese doujin culture) where it's likely to show up.

This doesn't mean SEED fans are UC fans, but still. I'd suggest the fact is more that SEED is/was tremendously newer and different in tone beyond a certain point is more to blame than anything else.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 24, 2012

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Midjack posted:

And let's keep it that way. :ohdear:

I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Wow... Is that from a Blu-ray? The clarity of the animation is astounding

• Locked thread