Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

I wonder how big of a bath Bandai wound up taking on AGE merch? They made the claim last year, VERY much in public, that they expected something like a 30% increase in sales over the 00 lines. Pretty sure that didn't happen!

Didn't the HG 00 model line have something like 125+ model kits? I don't even think we're up to 30 for the HG AGE line, not to mention that "advanced grade" line was a complete joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!
Is Gundam AGE turning out to be an even bigger failure than X was?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Senor Science posted:

Turning out? More like foregone conclusion. The only reason AGE even finished cause Bandai's making so much money off Unicorn they basically said gently caress it and let the poo poo finish rolling downhill.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Series ratings are one thing, but I'm guessing that even age will beat turn a in merchandise sales.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Not a very impressive feat considering Turn A barely had anything to sell.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Not a very impressive feat considering Turn A barely had anything to sell.

That was a roundabout way of saying that as far as Bandai is concerned, even Age is probably more successful than Turn A.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
so is Victory, by that logic.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Senor Science posted:

X wasn't even that big of a failiure. The only reason it tanked was because the model kits weren't selling well so soon after Wing and the network bounced it from lovely timeslot to lovely timeslot until it lost enough ratings to justify killing the series... sort of like Firefly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Turn-A and Gundam X both had pretty bad toy lines, if I recall, which is a big factor into their failure. (Gundam X in particular I hear had horrible models and nobody wanted them.)

I'm willing to bet AGE has fantastic models but what I've heard is that they're selling well below par. More importantly they have no character merch to sell. Gundam SEED's model kit sales were not tremendous but it supplemented them with character merch. 00 was designed to take advantage of that and had a bunch of character merch too. AGE, to my understanding, almost completely dropped that aspect, trying to focus heavily on the gunpla/toys. Except nobody gave a poo poo about the toys and they did a terrible job showing them off in-show.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Turn A was deliberately noncommercial, so we may safely exclude it from any and all model kit theories.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bimmi posted:

Turn A was deliberately noncommercial, so we may safely exclude it from any and all model kit theories.

Is there any truth to the rumor that Bandai didn't even try releasing kits of most of the show's mobile suits? I've heard people say it occasionally, but I've no idea.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 5, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh right. You'd think Bandai would test the waters with a few of the more obvious suits again since fans voted the Turn-A to be the 100th MG. There must be some love for the show, or at least it's mechanical designs to say that won out. Maybe throw out a MG Turn-X or SUMO and see if people buy them.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Turn A's popularity has been on the rise as its fanbase matures.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zorak posted:

Turn A's popularity has been on the rise as its fanbase matures.

I think it's also just by dint of the fact it's a finished show, written by Tomino no less. When there's no airing show, or the currently airing one isn't interesting someone they want something to watch and run through the older shows, giving something they passed over a chance since they can marathon it. It's probably a lot easier for people who were initially off-putt by it's slower pace to watch it now that it's finished than it would have been week to week 13 years ago.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

ImpAtom posted:

I'm willing to bet AGE has fantastic models but what I've heard is that they're selling well below par.

while the "normal" model line is doing fine, not stellar, the entire point of AGE: the AG "gunpla for kiddies" thing is doing fairly poor. I don't know how true it is but the mix and match easy to build things that were pushed more were mostly on clearance and this was during the middle of the show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yosuke posted:

while the "normal" model line is doing fine, not stellar, the entire point of AGE: the AG "gunpla for kiddies" thing is doing fairly poor. I don't know how true it is but the mix and match easy to build things that were pushed more were mostly on clearance and this was during the middle of the show.

Well, I can' say I'm shocked by that. AGE's demographic was completely wrecked from the very start. I don't think they ever had any significant young audience. That may be why we got the obvious rewrite at the start of AGE-2.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
AGE has always seemed to me a premeditated effort to appeal to kids minus any consideration as to what they might like, want or be interested in.

The model kits are pretty great though, such as they are!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Didn't the HG 00 model line have something like 125+ model kits? I don't even think we're up to 30 for the HG AGE line, not to mention that "advanced grade" line was a complete joke.

00 had a good scheme going what with the trans-am modes, pretty easy way to make money. I think they released an hg of every single suit in that show, except for the Gn Flag(those fuckers) and the Alvatorre.

I guess it also helped that the 00 designs didn't look like rear end.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
They didn't do the mammoth suit Louise had, but it would have been huge.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bimmi posted:

AGE has always seemed to me a premeditated effort to appeal to kids minus any consideration as to what they might like, want or be interested in.
This is probably because the people behind it apparently think kids are stupid. "Kids don't care about space these days." Even if they didn't, it's your loving job to make them care. Cartoons have gotten kids to care about guys dressed as giant bats running around in underwear fighting a clown, is it really that impossible to make them care about giant robots in space?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

boom boom boom posted:

or a team of teenage male models who are secretly also a terrorist cell?

This one sounds awful!

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
I really wish they'd make a prequel movie/OVA that opens with Side 3 declaring independence as the Republic of Zeon, goes through all the political maneuvering between Zeon Deikun vs. the Zabis ending with his assassination and Casval & Artesia escaping, and finally ends depicting the colony drop on Sydney.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

I really wish they'd make a prequel movie/OVA that opens with Side 3 declaring independence as the Republic of Zeon, goes through all the political maneuvering between Zeon Deikun vs. the Zabis ending with his assassination and Casval & Artesia escaping, and finally ends depicting the colony drop on Sydney.

A Gundam story with no Gundams or mobile suits and barely any combat? Not a prayer. How can you sell models on it after all. You might as well wish for a Batman movie about Joe Chill's life, and what led him to murder Bruce's parents.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think something like that is gonna happen eventually. IIRC The Origin has an extensive Char flashback, and I imagine the future adaption of it will include it. I have no idea what's in the flashback though, just that it took multiple volumes to do.

As for no mobile suits being around, I'm sure they could retcon something in if they really wanted to. They have already retconned like, a million Gundams into the One Year War after all.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

tsob posted:

A Gundam story with no Gundams or mobile suits and barely any combat?

Well, I didn't mean that would be ALL it would include, those would just be part of the highlights. There was a ton of fighting before the colony drop ever happened and obviously there'd be some of that in here, even if it were mostly Zaku vs. whatever. Plus, of course,

Srice posted:

They have already retconned like, a million Gundams into the One Year War after all.

But yeah, even then it'd be a long shot that something along those lines would get made today. Just a daydream of mine. (Along with a modern console remake of Final Fantasy VI done up with Okami-style cel shading to actually look like Yoshitaka Amano's paintings. Another project to finance when I win Mega Millions.)

Mr. Stay-Puft fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 26, 2012

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Srice posted:

I think something like that is gonna happen eventually. IIRC The Origin has an extensive Char flashback, and I imagine the future adaption of it will include it. I have no idea what's in the flashback though, just that it took multiple volumes to do.
The flashback doesn't go that far. It starts with Deikun dieing though later there is a part where Sayla's mother thinks back on him so we do get to see a bit of Deikun. Also don't worry about the no mobile suits thing in Origin the guntank had been a round for a while at that point and the EF uses them to brutally put down anti-earthnoid riots that kick up after Deikun's death. Really about half of the flashback is about the development of the Zaku. So robot nerds should be fine.

March can't come fast enough, I can't wait for the hardbacks.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 26, 2012

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!
I would kill for any media about life before the OYW, even before the rise of Zeon.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If I remember correctly its canon that the Feds used captured Zakus in limited amounts until the GM was rolled out, so MS combat is a possibility for a prequel. Focus the action segments on some feddie aces in customized Zakus and you satisfy the need for action while justifying even more zaku variants to merchandise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

If I remember correctly its canon that the Feds used captured Zakus in limited amounts until the GM was rolled out, so MS combat is a possibility for a prequel. Focus the action segments on some feddie aces in customized Zakus and you satisfy the need for action while justifying even more zaku variants to merchandise.

All zakus, all the time. I can see nothing wrong with this idea.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So one common complaint about AGE was that the action scenes tended to be a bit on the underwhelming side (and I agree). So what are you folks' favourite battles from the franchise, then?

Personally, I've gotta say that Judau and Puru versus the Psyco Gundam Mk. II in Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ and Banagher versus Frontal in Episode 3 of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn score pretty highly for sheer :black101:-factor, though there are plenty of other good ones out there.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Domon versus Master Asia (pure shounen spirit), Gouf Custom versus 08th MS Team (amazing display of skill from Norris Packard).

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pretty much any fight in the latter 2/3 of Turn A.

That show wasn't exactly action packed, but it did do an action scene, goddrat.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
V Gundam is a bad show, but watching Usso do his crazy piloting thing never fails to make me grin.

There is something quite viscerally satisfying to me about the opening scene of 0080.

UC ep.4. Byarlant Custom. Nuff said.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Amuro tackling Char off a horse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That gif of the Guncannon knocking a Zaku off a cliff.

Serious answer: While it was mostly bleh, the second season of 00 had some great action scenes. The attack on Memento Mori and trying to limit the devastation caused by the collapse of the Orbital Elevator were awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Schubalts posted:

Gouf Custom versus 08th MS Team (amazing display of skill from Norris Packard).

I've got mixed feelings about that one. It is definitely a good watch as a visceral experience, but the more you think about the details and what exactly happened, the more you start to realize it's not nearly as impressive on paper. Which, admittedly, probably also applies to many other fights in Gundam and elsewhere.

• Locked thread