Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Wasn't the point for them to grow out of that a little by the end, though?

They have, just not perfectly. The ending is basically a huge chunk of the cast choosing to stop fighting and try to figure out their own lives. Bellri's ending is him giving up and going off a journey to experience the world. Klim Nick (who honestly probably got off easier than he should have because he was a popular character) gives up his ambition and almost everyone settles down.

The Klim Nick scene probably got a bit too much of an editing pass for being hilarious dark comedy though and should have been toned down. Not sure how you can have Klim rejecting his father's warmongering more appropriately though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They have, just not perfectly. The ending is basically a huge chunk of the cast choosing to stop fighting and try to figure out their own lives. Bellri's ending is him giving up and going off a journey to experience the world. Klim Nick (who honestly probably got off easier than he should have because he was a popular character) gives up his ambition and almost everyone settles down.

The Klim Nick scene probably got a bit too much of an editing pass for being hilarious dark comedy though and should have been toned down. Not sure how you can have Klim rejecting his father's warmongering more appropriately though.

Get him arrested for all the shady stuff he was responsible for during the war and then head off into the sunset with Mick? His ambition was consistently presented as one of the key negatives driving the conflict, so him giving it up would be a big turning point (and would pave the way for Aida, who the show presents as a more humble and worthy leader, to gain more power in Ameria).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think his father actually did anything shady, or at least arrest-worthy shady. Ameria wasn't really being very 'sneaky' in that regards. They were open about their goals and motivations and plans. The closest thing I can think of is the use of the Megafauna as unaffiliated pirates which is shady but not 'arrest the President" shady, especially since Aida's dad was the dude behind that plan IIRC.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think his father actually did anything shady, or at least arrest-worthy shady. Ameria wasn't really being very 'sneaky' in that regards. They were open about their goals and motivations and plans. The closest thing I can think of is the use of the Megafauna as unaffiliated pirates which is shady but not 'arrest the President" shady, especially since Aida's dad was the dude behind that plan IIRC.

The guy spent most of his time offscreen. They could make something up for that scene (misappropriation of public funds to build his giant battlefleet?) and it'd be plausible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Get him arrested for all the shady stuff he was responsible for during the war and then head off into the sunset with Mick? His ambition was consistently presented as one of the key negatives driving the conflict, so him giving it up would be a big turning point (and would pave the way for Aida, who the show presents as a more humble and worthy leader, to gain more power in Ameria).

Crushing his father and his supporters was probably the only way to clean him up. Arresting Klim's dad just puts him through a legal system that's very much in favour of the Amerian President and his warmongering policies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Crushing his father and his supporters was probably the only way to clean him up. Arresting Klim's dad just puts him through a legal system that's very much in favour of the Amerian President and his warmongering policies.

I'm not sure that fits with a show where violence is typically shown to be pointless and/or more trouble than it's worth. That leaves negotiation and legal institutions as the answer. I mean, c'mon, killing off everyone who supported war is so far away from the show's message it's barely even funny.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm fine with not everyone being perfect Kira Yamato pacifists at the end. Klim Nick was still Klim Nick, he just understood that war wasn't a fun game because his girlfriend almost died.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not sure that fits with a show where violence is typically shown to be pointless and/or more trouble than it's worth. That leaves negotiation and legal institutions as the answer. I mean, c'mon, killing off everyone who supported war is so far away from the show's message it's barely even funny.

You're missing the other aspect of it though, in that it was only ever small groups of each society that actually pushed for their individual Reconguista's/War in general. Once they were each knocked off, the rest were perfectly happy to not continue fighting. The only actual at-the-top political figure pushing the war was the Amerian President, the rest were merely tolerated in the other factions. It's a hilariously hamfisted resolution, (and this is a very clumsy example) but trying anything litigious would basically be like walking into Nazi Germany to arrest Hitler, then trying him in a Berlin courthouse.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lol, at the edited out posts on the last page

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Personally if I were to play devil's advocate and attack G-Reco I probably wouldn't choose to flail my arms about and yell how nothing makes sense because that's easily disproven, and instead attack the way it chooses to make sense

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yelling about how things make no sense is like a cousin to yelling about plot holes, both of which are real lame ways to approach criticism outside of rare circumstances

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

Yelling about how things make no sense is like a cousin to yelling about plot holes, both of which are real lame ways to approach criticism outside of rare circumstances

I don't know that these two things are that similar. Things "making no sense" is usually due to the person not being able to follow what's being presented to them for whatever reason(the show worded something weirdly, they weren't paying attention, the show referenced something they might not remember from earlier, etc), but plot holes are usually due to poorly thought out writing or a lack of time to fully realize a plot line. One is usually on the viewer and one is usually on the writer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're missing the other aspect of it though, in that it was only ever small groups of each society that actually pushed for their individual Reconguista's/War in general. Once they were each knocked off, the rest were perfectly happy to not continue fighting. The only actual at-the-top political figure pushing the war was the Amerian President, the rest were merely tolerated in the other factions. It's a hilariously hamfisted resolution, (and this is a very clumsy example) but trying anything litigious would basically be like walking into Nazi Germany to arrest Hitler, then trying him in a Berlin courthouse.

I think a more accurate analogy would be Hitler's appointed heir arresting him with the backing of the world government plus the benevolent aliens keeping their civilisation running. The good guys had a ridiculous amount of political capital on their side at the end of the show - they just chose to use it in a hilariously brutal and destructive way.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I feel like Klim's scene serves two purposes. One, he's learned not to treat war as a game, but he has emphatically not learned to give up taking impulsive and violent courses of action. He did not internalize the same lessons the others in the cast did. Two, it foreshadows that violence and warlike behaviors aren't gone just because most of the cast learned their lesson well. Doubly so if you treat the show as an interquel between UC and Turn A.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BlitzBlast posted:

Personally, I think the only tough part to swallow about G-Reco is how absurdly relaxed everyone is about everything.

That was entirely my problem, even though I was marathon it and people told me that's "a thing" with this show. I stopped around episode 16 because that sort of alien behavior is just not for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Turns out humanity's final hope was to genetically engineer everyone to be as chill as possible at all times

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sakurazuka posted:

Turns out humanity's final hope was to genetically engineer everyone to be as chill as possible at all times

Socially engineer. Although the villain's Master Plan in AGE was to create a war so that all the people who liked war would kill each other, thus only leaving people who didn't like war. I think.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I didn't find the cast to be particular inhuman: not everyone is super dramatic about everything like in most other anime. :shrug:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I still feel like everyone in Reco would have learned a much better lesson if the g-self had a melt down and butterflied the planet.

After two episodes IBO is a good thing and people should watch it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

I still feel like everyone in Reco would have learned a much better lesson if the g-self had a melt down and butterflied the planet.

Ughhhhh

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

After two episodes IBO is a good thing and people should watch it.

People can't learn lessons, if they're dead.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

But then those that survive will hate war and love peace!

I know this is a great idea because I came up with it while living in my space colony where everyone kept dying from mars rays giving us space cancer that we could have moved away from but didn't because I really want people to learn how to really value human lives you guys.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
We should make everyone learn the message of peace... by killing everyone!!!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

We should make everyone learn the message of peace... by killing everyone!!!

Wasn't that literally the plot of Space Runaway Ideon? Ye gods, the Ide was a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Droyer posted:

People can't learn lessons, if they're dead.

Hunger, abject poverty, and a burning resentment of your ancestors that a shrewd fascist can capitalize on are great teachers.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hey I'm working on finishing up the new gundam op, and does anyone have a handy list of which gundam shows are available outside Japan and how they're available? Would be a big help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
New thread here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a3NMejuFbE

• Locked thread