Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
I was ready to write off this episode with a "meh, little Jedi kids". But after seeing it, I thought that episode was pretty spectacular in a lot of ways. Except, perhaps, to the coldest and deadest souls among us. But if I had seen this episode as a little kid myself, I'd be running around the house right now hunting crystals and having so much fun.

Wall-E the Ithorian was my favorite, and when my wife saw the Wookiee, she couldn't help but say "d'awwwww!". :3:

I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned it yet, but I just realized that within a year or two of this episode, all those little Jedi are dead.

Yeah. :smith:

Yet... :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sith Happens posted:

I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned it yet, but I just realized that within a year or two of this episode, all those little Jedi are dead.

It's such a weird thing that I wish the show would address more. Everything is headed to poo poo and they just kind of seem to be ignoring it - how can they even end this show on a remotely happy note?

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Guest starring in the next episode will be... David Tennant.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/06/exclusive-clip-doctor-whos-david-tennant-guests-on-star-wars-the-clone-wars

Which means that this show has now has guest stars from Star Trek, Doctor Who and Battlestar Galactica. And Simon Pegg.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Tomtrek posted:

Guest starring in the next episode will be... David Tennant.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/06/exclusive-clip-doctor-whos-david-tennant-guests-on-star-wars-the-clone-wars

Which means that this show has now has guest stars from Star Trek, Doctor Who and Battlestar Galactica. And Simon Pegg.

I didn't particularly care for him in Doctor Who, but I like Tennant well enough, so I'm excited about this.

Also, it took me about half of the episode to realize whose voice I was hearing from that kid who learned not to be a dick and saved that girl at the end. It's Jeff Fischer, who plays Jeff Fischer on American Dad!

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Kind of a Harry Potter wand selection vibe.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sith Happens posted:

That was my first thought too... Great they found their "inner secret". They will be dead this time next year. :(

I liked the episode, especially that they used Illum instead of inventing yet another ice planet. Nice lore nod.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Obviously we don't know how long the show will run (especially since the Disney buyout) or where they plan to end it, but I wonder if there's any chance that the series could push into the events of ROTS and maybe beyond just a bit?

Thinking about the Jedi kids getting killed made me wonder how the show would handle events that weren't explicitly shown in ROTS, such as the full assault on the Jedi Temple and the effects of Order 66 on all the Jedi other than those on the Council that we saw die in ROTS.

Maybe this series will end where the other animated Clone Wars did, right at the start of the Battle Of Coruscant. But I still think there would be great opportunities to go a bit further and show us the fates of a lot of these background characters the series has introduced.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

They released a clip of Darth Maul but you had to buy S4 on blu ray to watch it.

Here is an awful rip of it

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=0PON1GqADK8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0PON1GqADK8

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I wouldn't have thought it from the first previews, but this Younglings arc is quickly starting to become the most enjoyable arc I've seen in some time.

It also feels pretty "starwarsy" without relying too much on verbal or situational quotes from the movies, as other episodes have done - the Sarlacc scene homage in the Slaver arc last season comes to mind. This time they manage to create the familiar feeling simply by using established elements from the movies (the ship's corridors, the training remotes) and using them in a fresh way.

Also, as an older Star Wars fan I dug the reference to the Kaiburr crystals from Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the granddaddy of all expanded universe novels.

Finally, did anyone else get a Holy Grail/Black Knight vibe from the fighting professor droid?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The 10th Doctor.

As a droid.

That teaches lightsaber construction.

Awesome.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Sith Happens posted:

Obviously we don't know how long the show will run (especially since the Disney buyout) or where they plan to end it, but I wonder if there's any chance that the series could push into the events of ROTS and maybe beyond just a bit?

Thinking about the Jedi kids getting killed made me wonder how the show would handle events that weren't explicitly shown in ROTS, such as the full assault on the Jedi Temple and the effects of Order 66 on all the Jedi other than those on the Council that we saw die in ROTS.

Maybe this series will end where the other animated Clone Wars did, right at the start of the Battle Of Coruscant. But I still think there would be great opportunities to go a bit further and show us the fates of a lot of these background characters the series has introduced.

Isn't it canon that both Darth Vader and Boba Fett hunted Jedi for a while after ROTS? I'd imagine Order 66 wiped out massive numbers, but that a pretty sizeable portion probably escaped for a little while.

Also, how cemented is it that Obi Wan and Yoda were literally the only ones left as of ANH?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ToastyPotato posted:

Isn't it canon that both Darth Vader and Boba Fett hunted Jedi for a while after ROTS? I'd imagine Order 66 wiped out massive numbers, but that a pretty sizeable portion probably escaped for a little while.

Yep, Vader goes apeshit on the surviving Jedi in the expanded universe novels. He literally is given his own Star Destroyer right after Episode III and is given free reign to carry out Order 66 as he sees fit.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Really loved this episode. Very clever way to get them off with (nearly - poor guy sucked out) no bloodshed. Too bad about the slow door. I agree it felt very much "Star Wars-y"in a really good sense.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hondo is really emerging as the character development success of the season. Even if his flying saucer seems like it flew in from a different show.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Madurai posted:

Hondo is really emerging as the character development success of the season. Even if his flying saucer seems like it flew in from a different show.

I didn't like him in this episode. Yeah, he's a "bad" character, but in recent appearances, he seemed to be slowly turning into an anti-hero. Now he's attacking known Jedi assets. Yeah, the episode tried to hand-wave that away with the profit motive, but that's making the character more 2D.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

RunAndGun posted:

I didn't like him in this episode. Yeah, he's a "bad" character, but in recent appearances, he seemed to be slowly turning into an anti-hero. Now he's attacking known Jedi assets. Yeah, the episode tried to hand-wave that away with the profit motive, but that's making the character more 2D.

"Likeable" is not necessarily the same thing as "developed."

Also (unrelated), there was an Old Republic logo on the inside of the Jedi transport. Like, right out of SWTOR Old Republic.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Madurai posted:

"Likeable" is not necessarily the same thing as "developed."

I would call it more "regressing" than developing. That's what I meant by 2 dimensional: I crook, I see $$$, I attack. (Edit: And to hell with the relationships with the Jedi I was slowly starting to form.)

I was *hoping* the character was developing into something more complex. Hopefully this is just a one-off or part of a more complex story that he's involved with.

Now he's going to sell off Ahsoka as a (sex?) slave? Really?

On the surface, this seems more regressing to me.

Oh well. Bring on the next episode.

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 12, 2012

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I hope this isn't a bit too :spergin: but I just can't bring myself to accept that the Jedi Council would allow a Padawan to go off on her own with half a dozen younglings and a Scottish droid to go make some lightsabers.

I mean, I guess there's a war on and everything, but I still can't believe that they couldn't even be hosed to send Anakin with her or something. She's like, what, 12? 13?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Locutus of Bald posted:

I hope this isn't a bit too :spergin: but I just can't bring myself to accept that the Jedi Council would allow a Padawan to go off on her own with half a dozen younglings and a Scottish droid to go make some lightsabers.

I mean, I guess there's a war on and everything, but I still can't believe that they couldn't even be hosed to send Anakin with her or something. She's like, what, 12? 13?

Spent the episode wondering where the hell Yoda ran off to.

Also, what happens when a Jedi's lightsaber is lost/destroyed? Do they go back into the cave and find another once-in-a-lifetime magic crystal? I'm positive Anakin has had that happen at the very least once.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

limp_cheese posted:

Also, what happens when a Jedi's lightsaber is lost/destroyed? Do they go back into the cave and find another once-in-a-lifetime magic crystal? I'm positive Anakin has had that happen at the very least once.

Usually their Master snatches it up and returns it to them with an admonishment like "This is your life." or they're dead.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

limp_cheese posted:

He was already on Ilum when the kids arrived, so presumably he arrived and left via his own transport.

limp_cheese posted:

I love the idea of some poor unlucky bastard who continually gets laughed at by the other Jedi because he has to shlep over to Ilum for the umpteenth time.

Actually - this explains why Yoda didn't accompany the kids: In his youth, he was that unlucky bastard and now he's sick to death of that drat droid blabbing to the younglings about what a clumsy idiot their venerated master used to be.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I always was under the impression that jedi harvested their crystals from various planets, not some cave full of them. Do the sith head over there too, or do they have their own magic cave? How was this cave even discovered?

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Super Dude posted:

I always was under the impression that jedi harvested their crystals from various planets, not some cave full of them. Do the sith head over there too, or do they have their own magic cave? How was this cave even discovered?

Canonically, the Sith crystals are all (mostly) synthetic, which makes them all red, and also a *bit* more powerful (but you'd never notice). Lightsaber crystals occur naturally on other planets than Ilum, including Dantooine, and a few others.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Actually, since we can assume Asoka went into the cave of wonders and found a crystal, where did she get the second one? For that matter, why is she the only Jedi that uses 2 lightsabers? I sure as hell know I would or use a double-bladed.

I'm also disappointed there aren't more colors. It was a blessing and a curse in the Knights of the Old Republic games. By the middle of the game you were tripping over them, but it was worth it to have a white, black, or even orange lightsaber.

All those nitpicks aside, this has been an enjoyable arc. It could be I'm biased since Hondo is his usual "Hey man, I'm just trying to get by over here" self.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

limp_cheese posted:

Actually, since we can assume Asoka went into the cave of wonders and found a crystal, where did she get the second one? For that matter, why is she the only Jedi that uses 2 lightsabers? I sure as hell know I would or use a double-bladed.

I thought that was odd aswell, she just suddenly had it when they started putting SWTOR references into the show, from what I can tell.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kid: "You'll wish you'd been born a protocol droid!"

Hondo: "I already do."

PATHOS!

Some more nice shots of the early Y-Wing and Z-95 in Republic colors.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

limp_cheese posted:

Going by the EU there is a long an rich tradition of people using two lightsabers, complete with style names and all the stuff nerds like us tend to obsess about. Also, don't forget Ventress uses two lightsabers since at least the animated Clone Wars series, even if she is a Sith, not a Jedi.

I also assume you simply get another crystal by either asking, going to the Jedi requistion officer or going back to this cave. No need for all this "inner strength" and "find your attuned crystal" New Age poo poo the second time around.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Decius posted:

Going by the EU there is a long an rich tradition of people using two lightsabers, complete with style names and all the stuff nerds like us tend to obsess about. Also, don't forget Ventress uses two lightsabers since at least the animated Clone Wars series, even if she is a Sith, not a Jedi.

I also assume you simply get another crystal by either asking, going to the Jedi requistion officer or going back to this cave. No need for all this "inner strength" and "find your attuned crystal" New Age poo poo the second time around.

Or possibly by finding a pair of crystals.

Where did Luke find his, after Empire?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I hated that all of the Onderonian(?) rebels who were killed were all women.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Madurai posted:

Or possibly by finding a pair of crystals.

Where did Luke find his, after Empire?

If I remember Shadows of the Empire correctly, his was synthetic.

More than you ever wanted to know about Luke's saber.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Z-95s and Y-Wings :allears:

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011
Was any reason given why Obi-Wan didn't just jump when Grevious arrived? Besides Grevious shooting Obi's ship with the no-you-can't-jump-plot-device cannon?

Edit: And why did Obi leave that message for Grevious telling him that the ship was going to self destruct? If he hadn't, Grevious wouldn't have known, and they could've killed him that way. Again, besides that Grevious can't die until Epi III...

I guess I didn't like this arc very much...

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 23, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

See, I don't understand why Ahsoka and the kids got attacked by pirates in the first place. They were just hanging around in orbit doing nothing. Why not assemble your freaking sabers while in hyperspace? They were practically asking for it. I didn't think these episodes were bad, but I'd like to see the show get a little bit smarter.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

See, I don't understand why Ahsoka and the kids got attacked by pirates in the first place. They were just hanging around in orbit doing nothing. Why not assemble your freaking sabers while in hyperspace? They were practically asking for it. I didn't think these episodes were bad, but I'd like to see the show get a little bit smarter.

Yep. There was a lot of things done in this arc done "just because" to make these episodes in this arc work.

* The instance you pointed out.
* Why was that ship alone in the first place, if crystals were so valuable. Also, why doesn't that planet have a garrison?
* Why wasn't Yoda with them, was he awaiting another batch of kids?
* When the kids repelled the attack, the "leader" of the kids had his lightsaber explode. Which meant they were down one crystal. But when they went to rescue, they all had lightsabers.
* Grevious attacking RIGHT when Obi was going to jump to help, out of nowhere.
* The traveling circus, which JUST HAPPENED to be going to the pirate base.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

RunAndGun posted:

* When the kids repelled the attack, the "leader" of the kids had his lightsaber explode. Which meant they were down one crystal. But when they went to rescue, they all had lightsabers.

Not to defend the occasional stupidity of the show, but after the explosion we clearly see the crystal land on the floor in front of the kid, who grabs it before running away.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Dave Syndrome posted:

Not to defend the occasional stupidity of the show, but after the explosion we clearly see the crystal land on the floor in front of the kid, who grabs it before running away.

Seriously? I missed that then. Good eye.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
All I know is that I can't stand the lead boy. They did a great job designing and writing the perfect little douche.

For the EU experts, was this explanation for lightsaber construction and ... selection in line with what was written in the past? I know someone already mentioned other planets having crystals though.

Also, in the prequel movies themselves, didn't they show younglings way younger than these training with small sabers?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

For the EU experts, was this explanation for lightsaber construction and ... selection in line with what was written in the past? I know someone already mentioned other planets having crystals though.

Also, in the prequel movies themselves, didn't they show younglings way younger than these training with small sabers?

Yeah, the location of the crystals varies - although I see no real problem there. They don't say that Ilum is the only planet where you can get the crystals, after all (or do they? - I might misremember), and if some other crystal sources do exist (e.g. in the Old Republic era), it's entirely believable that they got lost or destroyed in a few thousand years' time.

The construction process (levitating the pieces, focusing the crystal properly or else the lightsaber will blow up etc.) goes back to either the Shadows of the Empire novel or the Return of the Jedi radio drama, both from 1996, and has been referred to several times in various EU sources.

From what I recall, the younglings used training lightsabers, which had a much lower power setting. Again, I see no problem with the temple having a few hundred of those sitting in a locker somewhere and using them for basic weapon-handling training until the more serious Force-attuned training begins.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
So, thoughts on the new episode:

- Hondo is still awesome, but they could have been a bit more subtle in his characterisation. As it is, he's almost Harvey Dent-like in his personality changes. The other characters even called him out on his "yesterday I had no problems with killing these children, today I like them" morality, which was even weirder.

- Why did the droids melt everything down rather than taking the equipment and outfitting Separatist forces with it? And for that matter, why not simply kill Hondo and his men? Dooku's plan didn't make a lot of sense to me.

- Very cool to see Grievous' spider-walk again. Also, the duel with Ahsoka was exceptionally well done - for once you got the feeling that this guy is loving dangerous (except at the end when he curled up in a fetal position after being fired upon, which kinda ruined the effect).

- The highlight though: Slave One back in action! :tviv:

In short, even with the odd clunky moment, this arc has been one of my favourites so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I really, really liked this arc. Looked stellar on my new TV. I was kind of hoping for an Ahsoka death at the end though ;)

• Locked thread