Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

A guy I work with claimed he was trying to get into the Army earlier this year but he failed his AVSFAB. Twice. Are those tests pass/fail? If so, how dumb do you have to be to fail it twice?

I hope this doesn't come across as insulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They're not pass/fail, and you have to be really, really dumb. Like velcro shoes dumb.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yaws posted:

A guy I work with claimed he was trying to get into the Army earlier this year but he failed his AVSFAB. Twice. Are those tests pass/fail? If so, how dumb do you have to be to fail it twice?

My wife has a cousin who failed yet got wavered in around 2008 or so. He got assigned to a unit as what he explained as an assistant mortar man on a Stryker. He got stuck painting rocks white on a base on Hawaii for his entire contract so things worked out for him I guess.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LingcodKilla posted:

My wife has a cousin who failed yet got wavered in around 2008 or so. He got assigned to a unit as what he explained as an assistant mortar man on a Stryker. He got stuck painting rocks white on a base on Hawaii for his entire contract so things worked out for him I guess.

the surge was so bad

also god drat rock painting mos would've been a good way to spend 6 years

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yaws posted:

The ASVAB scoring system is based on your results vs other peoples results. For instance, if you get a 77, that means you score better than 77 out of every 100 people who take the test. The military has work for people who score clear down in the 20's and 30's iirc, so you've got to be impressively dumb to not qualify. But to be fair, he may have been looking at a specific job with a high requirement for an ASVAB score, and not been able to meet that cut. Or he could be lying and he actually is afraid or too lazy to enlist, but thinks it makes him look cool that he would've joined if not for getting screwed because of x reason.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the surge was so bad

also god drat rock painting mos would've been a good way to spend 6 years

Anywhere but Hawaii or Alaska, I'd probably just have accepted a general under honorable after about a year of that. Like painting rocks in bumfuck, Kansas would be hell on earth.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Volkerball posted:

The ASVAB scoring system is based on your results vs other peoples results. For instance, if you get a 77, that means you score better than 77 out of every 100 people who take the test. The military has work for people who score clear down in the 20's and 30's iirc, so you've got to be impressively dumb to not qualify. But to be fair, he may have been looking at a specific job with a high requirement for an ASVAB score, and not been able to meet that cut.

Yeah, he just wanted to be infantry so him failing seemed to be an impressive feat.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yaws posted:

Yeah, he just wanted to be infantry so him failing seemed to be an impressive feat.

I put a Brazilian guy in the Marines who scored an 18 on the ASVAB. The guy only spoke Portuguese and a little Spanish. It was a big waiver but it happened. I saw Army recruiters do similar with waivers. Your buddy has to be like mouth breathing stupid to score so low that the Army won't take him.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Ive seen people score in the single digits before ahaha

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I put a Brazilian guy in the Marines who scored an 18 on the ASVAB. The guy only spoke Portuguese and a little Spanish. It was a big waiver but it happened. I saw Army recruiters do similar with waivers. Your buddy has to be like mouth breathing stupid to score so low that the Army won't take him.

Someone post a clip of the Brazilian guy in Generation Kill screaming in Portuguese over the radio

Also there was someone in my ROTC class who wasn't able to contract freshman year because she couldn't pass the AFOQT.

Not like "wasn't competitive for pilot" or whatever, she literally couldn't meet the minimum for "academic aptitude," which is something insanely low, like 10 or 15 iirc. And AFOQT is based on the same scoring principle as the ASVAB as far as percentile based.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zetta_Slow posted:

The diagnosis was in early 2012/2013 due to me starting at a university, having issues with the giant class sizes
I stopped taking bigger classes and my GPA spiked up

Just out of curiosity about these two points, is this something that is still a problem with you? Cause no joke you're going to spend months sleeping in a totally open bay with 59 of your closest buddies all snoring away and furiously masturbating in the shared bathroom stall then walking around you and counting the weapons hung up on the end of your bed while you sleep. Then if you deploy there's a more than fair chance you'll end up living/sleeping in a gently caress-off huge tent with two to three times that many other people where all you have is part of a bunkbed and a teensy little locker, both of which are crammed full of gear and almost nothing of yours personally. You probably won't get electrocuted when you walk down the block to the shower that 30 other guys are using at the same time. Probably, I think they fixed most of those.

That is where you will LIVE, where you go for stuff like training or to do your job will be much, much bigger crowds.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
if you have any sort of social anxiety at all I don't the military is a place for you.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

if you have any sort of social anxiety at all I don't the military is a place for you.

Or he could become a linguist and hang out with nothing but people with various degrees of social anxiety.

Don't actually do that.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

So painting rocks is a no-joke thing, huh? I always thought it was urban legend / boot hazing a la glowstick batteries or PRC-E9.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

So painting rocks is a no-joke thing, huh? I always thought it was urban legend / boot hazing a la glowstick batteries or PRC-E9.

I narrowly avoided a rock painting detail in AIT, but saw it happen firsthand.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You should join if you want to drive a truck that gets 1 gallon per mile of jet fuel around picking up about 100 pounds of hedge clippings every day.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

Yeah apparently some base in Hawaii has small white boulders on the side of the road to reflect light at night.
So it wasn't totally pointless...

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I forgot the name of our rock. It was a huge heavy fucker, and when you were dumb you had to paint it intricately with American flags and poo poo and then carry it with you everywhere you went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Please refer to new thread on this subject:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750679

V/R
Nostalgia4Infinity

• Locked thread