Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Note: All the below is old stuff, no longer viable. This site will close down in the fall of 2015 due to lack of use/participation. I will save the content if anyone else wants to do the site later, but don't see the point in keeping it around when goons who have used it have moved on. It was a good run!

Check out our Facebook and Twitter.

Separate but semi-goon related is a nature writing and arts community at Google+ Read the FAQs, ma'am.

http://www.goonreads.com: A site for all SA authors!

What the heck is Goonreads?

Goonreads is a website that promotes goon-authored books and other writings. It's a place where you can list and promote your a) published books, b) other writings online, and c) personal author blog. While the site cannot replace the value of book/writing discussion here at SA, it does organize goon writings into a place that makes it easy to find your book or other works by title, author, genre, category, etc. So far we have about 140 books posted and many more registered users who are working on books. If you are new to this thread, you might want to skip the first few pages because they are mostly about development stuff, before the site went live. We went live in late 2012.

We have also had a successful first writing contest, with Random Stranger winning the Amazon gift card jackpot.

How does this thread differ from the self-publishing thread?

While there is a little overlap, the self-publishing thread (a great resource!) is for book self-publishers only and gives goons a chance to post about their new books and receive writing, book cover, and general self-publishing tips.

The Goonreads thread is for anyone who is being published, whether by self or via a publisher. And we're getting into contests and other non-book writings at the site. This thread covers the Goonreads site and includes suggestions and feedback, books posted at the site, features such as the review exchange and writing contests, questions, and so on.

All writer CC goons are welcome.

Site features

Note that our forms (surveys, contest votes, etc.) show up only to registered, logged-in users who are contributors.

• Goons can become contributors to goonreads.com simply by registering. Our registration process has changed. Just email hume@goonreads.com, with your site username and SA name. Then post in this thread so that we can verify you. After that, check your email (possibly your spam folder) for what to do next. After registering, you can begin posting your own books. It costs nothing but a few minutes of your time. We have an easy-to-use book form for submitting your title.
  • Non-book writers can also submit essays, short stories, poems, and other writings to be showcased online. Just contact me (hume@goonreads.com). I'm currently working on a submit form for this type of posting. Note that because we really haven't had much interest in this so far, I have not developed the form to submit other writings--but it is possible with enough interest.
  • You can submit your book for promotion, which is also free to do.
  • There are a few reference guides to help you get started in understanding how to write, promote, and publish your work. There's even a beginner's guide to book-binding.
  • If you have professional editing, illustration, or book cover design experience, you can offer your services as well. Any contracts made with other goons are just between you and the other person. SA Mart rules apply.
  • Once you submit your book or other writing, and after it's approved by a mod, your name, SA name (optional), title, link, and SA icon (if you upload it to your profile) will automatically appear in an author/book listing. Note that we might not include non-book postings on this list.
  • Book authors and other SA authors may have their own book-related blogs hosted on our multi-site: goonreads.com/authors.
  • We have a private messaging system on site so that you can communicate with others to participate in a review exchange.

Site FAQs (questions asked in the thread)

Alright, so why should I participate in goonreads?

We built the site so we could promote our own writings and yours, for free. We utilize SEO and other social media, though right now our Twitter feeds and Facebook are pretty dead. I just don't have time to keep it up, and those who offered to help are not around anymore. There are also several ways to freely promote your book on the front page.
  • Slider at the top: requires a 960x200 book banner emailed to me (contact info at site).
  • Reviewed: Books with no image on front page but with honorable mentions in the media (review blurb).
  • Features: Books submitted to be advertised without a banner (updated 12/28). This section is not always visible, depending on interest.
  • Bottom slider: Recently added books by default.

*Note that your book should appear in only one of the top sliders or areas at a time. All inquiries to be promoted should be emailed to hume at goonreads dot com. If a lot are submitted, we'll rotate weekly except for campaign books, which we can rotate daily. Campaign book info should be emailed a couple weeks in advance if possible.

Outside of the promotional value of the site, Goonreads is an expansion of the creative goon community. It wouldn't replace the value of threads for book discussion, but adds the value of organizing books, writings, and authors so that you can quickly find what you're looking for. We also hope to build participation with writing contests.

Because this is a community site, if you want it to get bigger, please participate. The site is administered by me, but other than building it and running contests, I do not have the time to keep it active. That's your job. You can help by doing the following:

• Helping to keep this thread updated
  • Posting books and other writings
  • Taking part in reviewing others' books, submitting books for the promotional sliders, and in general just keeping active on the site
  • Joining FB and following us on Twitter
  • In general trying to attract others to the site
  • Volunteering to become a site mod and help with any of the following: marketing, editing, writing reference articles, Facebook and/or Twitter updates, IT help

Sounds good, but paying 10 bucks to SA does not make one a good author.

While you can freely list books at Goonreads, your writing shouldn’t have too many grammatical and other mistakes. If your Amazon book samples show abundant typos, terrible writing, or awful cover design, we will ask you to fix your book before submitting it again. Every book is linked to their Amazon page so that readers can look at reviews there too. We recognize that the goon community is varied. Some are inclined to be great writers, and others have awesome stories to tell but just need some help getting those tales into writing. Don't forget that the site will offer plenty of resources to help your writing skills. A few of us are still struggling with our work, and others have received some pretty nice accolades in the media.

Readers should expect a pretty wide variety of stories and writing styles/experience at Goonreads. What else would you expect from Something Awful? If you're really not sure about buying a book, go read its sample or reviews on Amazon. Goonreads doesn't guarantee anything about books posted here other than the authors, or their publishers, are from SA.

Banned author books are generally kept up unless I'm notified about it. I don't really know usually who gets banned, who re-regs at SA. I have removed some books by request by authors who have been banned here at SA.

I don't have any books but love to write. Can I participate?

Of course! We welcome all types of writings, though so far everything posted here are books. We need more interest in other types of writings being posted at the site before implementing that. In the meantime, we do have author blogs you can use to post your writings.

Credits

Thanks to Icon-Cat for the banners, favicon, and site moderation; to Squibbles for coding the database table, child theme, and book submission form; to IC and Vitka for helping with Facebook; and to Anais Nun for getting our Twitter up and running.

NWS

In accordance with CC rules, it's fair to warn that some books listed at Goonreads are in the erotica category and might be considered NWS. However, the books themselves do not appear on our site, just the listings and descriptions. No NWS images are allowed at Goonreads, but some of the book covers might come a little close, so fair warning. Ever since the erotica thread was closed, there really haven't been too many submissions in that genre.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm having trouble inserting images into my posts. It doesn't pop up the "Insert Photo" button during posts and I see nothing aside from adding links.

There is an Upload/Insert button above the icons. Just click that button, and it will allow you to upload an image from your computer.

Oops, the image didn't attach. Here:

Hey Azure, thanks for pointing that out. I have added a bit of code to function.php to allow contributors to upload images. I tested it out, and it works fine now.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 1, 2012

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Autumncomet posted:

You declared the function twice. :colbert: I can't access goonreads.com.

Seems cool though.

Try again. I hit the paste button twice but fixed it right away, so that error was there for about a minute. Contributors can now upload images.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I've added the capability for now, but contributor editing does not have a pending review option, so there is a potential loss of editorial quality. It's not a big deal at the moment, and I think you should be able to edit your own posts. Ill look at Revisionary too.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Adraeus posted:

I haven't received an approval e-mail yet.

You are definitely registered already. As stated in the OP, there is a delay or lack of confirmation emails. Or maybe they are going to your spam folder. Just go to goonreads.com and log in.

Everyone who has signed up has been approved so far. If you all need any help with uploading book info, or anything, just email me at hume at goonreads dot com.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Adraeus posted:

Can you change the owner of Gamers at Work to me, so I can update the post?

Done!

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I have also installed that plugin.

Incidentally, the site went down last night for about half an hour and tonight too. We're on Lithium Hosting, which is goon-run as well, and they normally are pretty stable. I've been hosting on Lithium for years. Sorry about the downtime, and hopefully it's just a temporary server problem. It will give me a chance to get off the computer and get a good night's sleep :ohdear:

Oh, and about banners for the top slider: What I was doing when the server went down was changing the banner template from 960x360 to 960x200, but I didn't get a chance to upload it and change the specs on the site. If you've started working on a book banner for the top slider, please take note of the new size. I think 360 is just too high and we lose a little content before having to scroll.

Anyway, doing graphics is not my strong point, so if you want your book to be promoted on the top slider, please make a 960x200 banner and email it.

Edit: Just a note. The support ticket from last night was answered, and I requested to be moved to a more stable server. This is happening around 8:20 PST Tuesday morning, so it may take a while for the DNS to propagate the change. In the meantime, the site will be inaccessible until the server change takes place. I have also submitted a ticket about Lithium's message that pops up, which makes it seem like the account was suspended. The account was not suspended. The only thing happening at the moment is a server switch.

Thanks for all your patience. As of about 9:00 Tuesday morning, the server switch is complete and all is back up.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 2, 2012

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
New today is the book/author listing with SA icons. If you don't want your author and SA name being associated, just let me know. I know a few people like the anonymity.

There are now 20 books listed by you all. Not bad for just a few days of the site being tested. There's room for lots more. Please spread the word among your SA author friends :cool:

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Thanks to Squibbles for doing the coding for the book template form. It really standardizes how people enter book data, and we also can pull a csv or xml file from that data, which might come in handy down the road.

So far there are 34 goons registered, and almost that many books up (though not all are listed in the author/book list yet because I need to continue to match authors with books).

I also just added a "goon services" area, where adapting from SA Mart type of rules, SA members can offer editorial, illustration, cover design, book-binding, and other book-related services, hopefully for a discount rate. And I've got some fun contest ideas, but we'll wait until we have a bigger population to start those. ALL SA writers are welcome to participate in this site. You don't have to be a book author to join contests or read other goons' books. You can also pimp your written work (essays, short stories, articles) in the media, though we need to see how many are interested in doing that and then roll that section out. It is goonREADS after all, so this site goes beyond books, though we're starting with goon books since there are quite a few, and there was interest in that.

In other news, we're switching servers due to some strange downtime lately on our current hosting package. The migration should probably be complete sometime next week.

I can see this site going live before the end of the year, but we need a little more coding help and want to get more books up too :cool:
Anyway, we're going away for Canadian Thanksgiving, so internet access will be hit and miss the next few days. The two other mods should feel free to approve any pending posts and new users. If you don't get registered right away, don't worry, we'll be checking in the evening at least and will be back on Monday.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 6, 2012

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Mandragora posted:

Thanks again for this site, you guys. I thought it looked good when I got the invite last week and it looks even better now that I had some time to sit down and take a serious rummage through it. Just getting ready to submit my work now and I'm loving how easy the new template form is.

Do you have any kind of guidelines on including reviews (either suggestions or hard rules)? I was thinking about including some of the better non-F&F Amazon reviews our anthology has gotten but I gave a skim through a handful of other submissions and saw that the only reviews so far come from actual SA posters or from professional review sites/blogs, so I wanted to double check.

Glad you like it so far.

The only reviews I've seen so far in book posts are just blurbs. I generally put the quote material in quote tags and the author of the blurb after a dash, and not in quotes.

For full reviews, I guess it's best to link to them since they might be copyrighted elsewhere. For SA poster reviews, we can post them on site as long as the poster gives their permission.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Magnus Gallant posted:

Registered for the web-site, it seems snazzy. Are short works allowed too?

Yes, there's quite a few short stories and novellas posted as e-books.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I'm pretty sure that the DNS servers are done updating for everyone, so all is good and we're now on our virtual host. You should be able to continue registering and posting books at this point. If you do see a maintenance mode note, please don't update, but it has been 48 hours and I doubt there's any lingering stuff.

Some questions:

1. Do you want to allow comments on your books?
2. Do you think we're almost ready to go live? I want to finish fleshing out the reference articles, but outside of that the only thing needing fixed is that the images are being slightly truncated on the bottom sliders.
3. Any other suggestions?

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I was just wondering about comments because someone got a nice one on their book.

I've written into our policy page that comments are moderated and that book reviews should be put into a bigger site where they'll get more publicity, like Amazon. But short blurbs would be cool here, I guess.

I've also added capability for contributors to edit comments just on their posts (they can edit, spam, trash, or approve). They can also edit their own comments.

There's now also a checkbox below the comments so users can subscribe and get notified if there are new comments on their posts. I'd suggest that authors just decide on their own books' comments. I figure the contributors will want to have control over stuff like that.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Our policy so far is that only goon authors/publishers can post books at the site. I'm not sure how lenient others want to be on this. It's really up to the people who are using the site. Maybe we can poll at some point?

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I agree with the above.

I finally fixed the image truncation on the bottom two sliders and it looks pretty nice. There's just a few other things I'd like to fix if anyone can help:

-I don't like the space between the bottom menu and top slider
-The captions in the bottom two sliders would look better left or center
-Having an expandable/collapsible row option in the book/author table would be nice to have.

Other than that, and just continued content, I think we're ready to go live. Any thoughts on that?

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Icon-Cat posted:

It did not, however, add my new title ("Kaylee and Breck and the Very Worst Songs of the '90s") to the author/book table automatically—was that supposed to happen? I forget where we were with the editing of that table. Is it manual or is it supposed to be reading from the database?

Other'n that, I'm ready to take this sucker live.

Adding the book to the table of authors is still manual, but I don't mind doing it. Eventually we might get some more css developer type help to automate that kind of thing. So far, Squibbles and I have figured everything out as far as the tweaks we've done. He's a programmer (I'm not!).

I'm ready to go live too and will work toward that goal today. I think it would be nice to do this now in time for the holidays. I know that there's a few of the books I added that will go on sale by November 1, so the timing would be perfect. Anyone else having campaigns, reviews/accolades, or just wanting to promote your book on the top slider (it is all free to do so), just see the Submit a Book's promotional section. You don't have to really do much. The directions are all onsite.

Edit: Oh, one thing I was thinking would be nice is for authors to be able to have their own blogs on-site (optional). Anything to give people more incentive to get involved. We have a virtual host now so have quite a bit of room and growth if needed.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 15, 2012

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Nice work on the table. Thanks!

I decided to work a bit on an author blog multi-site tonight and got as far as to set it up with two test users. Basically, authors who post books at the site can have their own book or writing blog under the goonreads/authors subdirectory. It might be interesting for people who like your books.

The one thing I ran into was that I really want to have only one theme that everyone can use. But I want it to be customizable enough so that authors don't feel like another brick in the wall. I got to looking around at themes and noticed how late it was getting. I'll fix it up tomorrow, but let me know if you want your own blog and I'll set it up. You would have admin control on your own blog but should be comfortable using Wordpress.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Yeah I don't see your post, even in drafts. My guess is that you were trying to submit it either when our hosting was going up and down or during the move to our new hosting. Would you mind resubmitting it? If not, point me to the link of the book on Amazon and I'll submit for you. Sorry about that. We have fixed the server problems by completing a move to a different host, so that problem shouldn't occur again.

Also, I have finished the author blog multi-site setup and decided to enable the Weaver 2 theme across the network. It is pretty responsive, is very customizable, and authors can basically just have the room for their own author blog. Icon, did you get your invite for it? I can't tell if when I set up your site, whether an email went out.

Author blogs are by invite-only, and everyone who posts their books at goonreads can have one. I'll send out invites before making the site live. Here's an example of mine: http://goonreads.com/authors/clarahume/. Yours can look completely different.

Anyway, I'll probably put goonreads live tonight or tomorrow as long as there aren't any other lingering issues that anyone has.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Great!

So all books submitted are now approved. It generally doesn't take too long unless the mods are sleeping.

Also, I've updated the OP. The site is now live. If there's anything outstanding, please just shoot me a line or post here. There are a few minor updates to make, but nothing game-breaking.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

anviroid posted:

So, what about us goons over in the romance/erotica thread? We sell books on amazon too. Are we invited to this party?

Of course!

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

anviroid posted:

I'm registered. I just noticed that it wants my account to be 7 months old plus. My main account is years old but I have a separate one just for my adult endeavors. Is there something I can/need to do about this, or am I sol for a few months?

You're good. The 7-month thing is adapted from SA Mart and applies only to SA members who want to offer paid services, such as editorial work and design. Contributors just need to be members of SA. I don't think we'll really require a length unless it gets problematic.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I have fixed the problem with images. They should be exactly 200 pixels high. When you "set featured image", just choose the same image from the media gallery that you uploaded for your post. It's kind of confusing, but basically the image you upload goes into the post itself and the featured image is what gets picked up on the front bottom slider bar.

I've updated the policy (which is agreed to when people register) that warns of some books containing adult literature. For contributors, I think these rules are pretty fair and would equate with SA rules too:

1. No illegal subject material (child porn, bestiality, rape)
2. Images must be work-safe. I'm probably not the only one accessing this site at work a lot :ohdear:
3. And the original rule about if Amazon doesn't distribute it, neither will we is still there. Sorry, but I think that covers PI.

I'm trying to create a third adult (18) taxonomy, so bear with me if you see some strange categories for a while tonight. Edit: Never mind a third taxonomy. I've updated our template so that if there's adult content, authors should note that in the title.

Edit: About tags, I think they should be genre-specific just like the other tags for other books.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 17, 2012

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Icon-Cat posted:

Desmond: When you initially set up the form, where people were typing everything in themselves, you suggested that people keep to 2-4 tags. I note that there is no such disclaimer now. Is that by choice?

Yeah, I did change that by choice. I didn't think (in some cases) that would be enough tags.

I agree totally that we should start being a little more consistent and efficient with tags. I'm wondering if there's some sort of pre-defined tag plug-in that we can fill in where people would have to choose from tags and also would be limited to a number of tags. I think it would take a little time to build, but it would be worth it. And then if there's something truly not covered when we're finished, authors could just email me and I could add it.

Bur for now, how about joining the following?

-teen or young adult = YA (young adult)
-paranormal = supernatural (or the other way around?)

These are the only ones I see doubled up right now.

Inkblot: I'll get back to you on a response for your queries below. I think it's pretty fair to allow the other non-erotica authors have a say in gray area material posted here. I don't want to have full control over what gets posted. But I do want to maybe research some ways to draw lines that are a little more than just hovering around gray. Also, I noticed one of your books is still in draft form. Not sure if you meant to finish it later or just forgot to submit for pending review :) Same goes for a couple of "PersonMan's" books.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 17, 2012

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
So far, the site is not unbalanced. We have 36 books posted and of them, 3 are adult content books. However, the activity since yesterday from the erotica thread authors is busier than any time previously, so I could see where that activity could unbalance things. Do what you think is best. I'm glad you all are here and love it that you're trying to self-regulate, ha. I know that Icon-Cat was starting to feel badly because his real name is high up the list alphabetically, and our old author/book list was sorted that way by default, making it seem like he was trying to dominate stuff.

I just appreciate that people are adding their books. If you want to bundle and submit longer works, I think that would eliminate the booty bomb. However, if it looks like stuff is already pretty balanced on the site, feel free to sneak in a short story here and there. This is probably a good idea for all authors, not just erotica. Icon-Cat is by far our most prolific author (which is great, because his books are awesome), and he is staggering the posting of his books (some of which are short stories). That way, the bottom slider of recently added books is usually not all just one author or one genre. Ultimately, and I think we'd all agree, this site should represent all goon books, not leaning heavily toward any one type.

Sorry for the longish post, but I wanted to also ask if people have gotten their invites to their personal author blogs? I created a goonreads.com/authors multi-site network, and have now sent out the invites to anyone who has posted a book at the site so far, but I'm worried that the email might not have come through? It should say you have a new site, and give you your username and password to start working on your blog.

Writing a blog will require that you know how to use Wordpress, since you are the administrator of your own blog. I've created one for everyone so far (who has posted books). Currently each blog is in maintenance mode and will stay that way until you build it and let me know it's ready to be open. I can then go back and link your blog in your "about the author" field in each of your book posts. I think it'd be a nice way for readers to get to know their authors and a good way for authors to become more personable to their readers. It is just an option, but there it is. The Weaver 2 theme (customizable, responsive) is the only theme I want to install across the network right now. I've run into themes in the past whose library definitions become outdated, etc., and I don't really want a big mess of themes to deal with. Your blog can still be a unique snowflake with Weaver 2 because there's so much customization with it.

Edit: Oh, just found another author blog that is being worked on. Don't forget when it's ready to go to deactivate the maintenance blog thingy.

Finally, back to the question posed last night by inkblottime: I think if Amazon distributes it, they've done the legwork in the gray area for us and we'll list it too. All books with adult content are marked that way in the title and tagged as adult (18+) at goonreads. I feel that's fair warning for more conservative readers and younger people. I put up a content warning in the footer, so people can just browse at their own discretion. You could also add to the description of the book something something something dark side if you want, though I'm not sure if that's going too far.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 17, 2012

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
If the adult tag got to be super big like that, the taxonomy widget we're using for clouds could be used to separate out adult books into their own category with their own sub-genres.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

inkblottime posted:

Got mine. Question; can that "author" account be used to post books instead of our SA usernames?

The author blog is different. It is under goonreads.com/authors and is a separate place. At goonreads.com, if you want your book posts to appear under your real name, go into your user profile, add your first/last name, and pull down the menu for "display your name publicly". Just choose your real name instead of your SA one.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
:cool: You are our 60th registered goon.

I had another thought about why blogs might be useful, especially for erotica authors writing tons of stories. Since uploading that many books will be crazy, just take advantage of your author blog, link it in your book post(s) under "About the Author", and then just keep a running list of all your books links in a prominent place. One goal of goonreads is to really put the book and the author together. It's entirely possible that someone finds your book at goonreads, likes it, and wants read more of what you write. They look at a book post, see your author blog listed there, click it to find more of what you've written that might not be listed at goonreads, and go from there.

Speaking of that, it's probably advisable for you to fill out your SEO fields in the book posting area (you can go back and edit your books). This'll help your books on goonreads show up on google. My next goal is to go through the entire list and start doing this if it hasn't been done (so if you see that I have edited your book, that's all I'm doing).

Finally, I will be heading to California Fri-Sun so may not get to stuff as fast as usual, but will have my laptop on me.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Sure, just email me (hume@goonreads.com).

I have somewhat fixed the problem with the potential of super huge tags by just setting the maximum font height of tags. Also, don't worry about putting adult (18) in the tags--only in the title.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
It's great to see new subscribers. I am back from California with an awful cold so haven't really gotten around to updating SEO stuff, but will get to that within the next couple weeks. Also, if you don't see your book listed, please go back and check your book post. Ensure that there are no messages in your post and that you have submit (again, if needed) for pending review.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I think you are the only author I haven't made a blog for because I was out of town (by the way, your book seems really awesome and beautiful). Can you email me at hume@goonreads.com and let me know what you want your site to be? Most are goonreads.com/authors/firstnamelastname. Not sure if you want your initials or your first name and last name? I'll set it up as soon as I hear.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 24, 2012

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

BrideOfUglycat posted:

I've registered, submitted my Goon name and everything. I'm assuming I need to wait to be vetted before I get the pretty +new button? :-)

Also, I publish under 3 names (gah!) Is there a way to differentiate between my pen-names? Is this something I will be able to figure out once I can post books?

Thanks!

You are already a contributor :)

Our author/book listing is automatic and pulls the author (pen in this case) name from your book post when you fill out all the fields. Whatever you fill out as the author name when you submit a book, that name will show as the author of that book in the author/book listing.

edit: I've updated the book template to include the following instructions:

1. Uploaded cover images must be exactly 200 pixels in height. This was already the field instructions, but I don't think people are seeing it.
2. If the post needs fixing (such as the cover image not being the right size, etc.), the post will remain in draft form until the contributor re-uploads the correct image. I will just put these and any other instructions in red at the top of the draft post if there are any outstanding things that need to be fixed.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 25, 2012

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I've added a FAQs page to the site and to the OP. I've included the questions asked here and will continue to update the FAQ. Also, we now have 45 books at the site! Good work, goons.

We're still editing tags. I would recommend using 4-5 tags only to keep things manageable. But feel free to add keywords to the SEO fields if they've been edited out of your post.

The FAQ and other book submission reference covers all this stuff, plus much more. I think it has taken some trial and error to be able to recognize potential imbalances, problems, etc. I hope that adding books is pretty easy for you. The main problems I've seen is with the image sizes.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Regarding tags, they should be like genres rather keyword tags, maybe 4-5 max? Keyword tags can also go into the SEO fields. The main thing is that erotica books (which could have a lot of really specific keywords) won't fill up the tag cloud and drown out other books.

Petry, I'm open to hosting other goon book bloggers. Until now I've only invited those who post their books at goonreads, but I'm not tied to that. People can always e-mail me if they want a blog here.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Icon-Cat posted:

Something weird is going on with our most recent book.

It might best be explained by clicking it ("Oiche Shamhna: Clash of Weapons")
"the white cover) on the front page, then just for fun searching "Clash of Weapons".

It's like that book, Summerland and an untitled page ate each other.

Strange, indeed. I deleted Summerland (it was in draft, and no work had been done on it yet). And now the link is good again. Whoever did Summerland can just start on it again. I don't know why the default recently added would link to something in draft. If it happens again, I'll check the code.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Anais Nun posted:

Oh sorry - I don't know if that was me. I started drafting it yesterday and left the page along when I got called away from the computer. Is it okay if I just e-mail you the details like it says on the site? I'm really hopeless at this stuff.

Sure! I will get to it later in the afternoon.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Anais Nun posted:

Thanks! I'll have to e-mail later. Bit tied up at the moment. Sorry for being such a technomoron.

I just added your book anyway. It looks great. I attributed you as the author. Let me know if anything needs to change (i.e. description or anything else).

Edit: http://goonreads.com/reference/author-list/ Getting quite a collection! Help spread the word to the rest of CC. I think the submission process is pretty smooth, but you can still send me your book details if you want me to submit your book.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 1, 2012

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
You can add your own services page at goonreads. Just see http://goonreads.com/goon-services/ and follow the instructions there.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Did you have any trouble figuring out how to post the editorial services? I can do it for you, but just let me know.

Anyway, the authors at Goonreads have inspired me to start writing short stories. I've begun a series and will post it soon!

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I took the 18+ off of Infected (by the way, I keep adding books to my shelves and am behind in reading, but Infected looks like yet another I need to get to). The adult tag is only for books containing erotica. Sexual themes exist in a whole lot of books, but it seems pretty clear which books are considered adult 18+, and the authors of those books also have been adding the title consistently. H_double, I understand your concerns but feel a need to both warn any minors about content as well as to draw attention to adult books for people who are looking for just those books (the adult content is auto-listed in the books directory). It really isn't meant to bring lesser attention to those books. I also feel there's a big difference between adult themes appearing in fiction and books that are solely meant to be pornographic in nature. This is not a judgment call, just an observation that I think the authors of erotica are good at tagging and listing as adult.

I also started a Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/Goonreads. I needed to redo the page so will be adding content tonight. If anyone else wants to help admin that page, let me know.

Edit: I also forgot that there is another change to Goonreads. Previously, all authors who posted books at goonreads were invited to set up their own hosted blog under the multi-site goonreads.com/authors. However, only four have taken advantage of this so far, and at the same time, I'd like to open the offer to others at SA who might not publish books but who want to blog about writing, reading, etc. So I'm taking down the unused sites I set up earlier. I just don't want to have empty blogs sitting around that aren't going to be used.

If you want a blog, please make sure you're already registered at goonreads as a goon and just email me if you want to have a blog here. Then I'll set up a blog for you. You're the administrator of your own blog, so Wordpress knowledge is important. The blog content must follow our other content policy.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Icon-Cat posted:

Liked the FB page, feel free to admin me.

Done

Also, we're finally getting more banners for the top slider, so now will start rotating weekly in order of when the banners were submitted. The top slider fits exactly four books.

I also added Infected as a featured book--books getting some attention and blurbs in the media.

• Locked thread