Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Recycle Bin posted:

Season one is 26 episodes. This was just a brief hiatus.

Aw man, I thought it was just a 13-episode first season. How many did I miss? :ohdear:

Come back here show, I'm not finished with you! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!
________/

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Aw man, I thought it was just a 13-episode first season. How many did I miss? :ohdear:

None? Episode 13 just aired on January 25th...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snak posted:

None? Episode 13 just aired on January 25th...

Huh, something about the way the thread was going made it seem like I'd missed several episodes. Cowabunga!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
TMNT has a great upcoming toy line:
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/01/30/tmnt-toy-fair-2013/

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

See kids, dreams do come true.

Some minor spoilers there if anyone cares :
Shredders face
Turtle suit upgrades
New baddies

GrumbleGrumble fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 31, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The baby turtle versions are super cute and I think I want them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TMNT2k4 had a pretty sweet toy line as well, I just had to grab the Shredder and Casey Jones. General action figure quality is hella good anymore, I walked through the boys' toy section at Walmart around Christmas time and some of the regular figures look as good as the :20bux: deluxe figures used to in the early 90s. Kids have it so good these days! :corsair:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So is there some sort of bylaw in Hollywood that Kelly Hu gets first pick at all Asian assassin rolls from here on out?

Not that I'm complaining, of course. The whole "friendly antagonist" angle is a nice counterpoint to the still kinda creepy Donny/April flirting.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Really? Donny and April are "creepy"? They seem like normal awkward teens with one of them having their first crush only it's even more awkward because he's a giant talking turtle. But really... what?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Goons are easily creeped out by anything outside of their expectations of normal.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Donnie/April looks pretty one-sided to me. April's been amazingly patient with Donnie's awkward teen crush shenanigans so far, though.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Good job with the Rat King; it's not something I would have seen coming from the guy's first ep. Also, I would like to see April actually training with Splinter, because it's weird to just have one sentence throwaway lines referencing it while at the same time she just hangs around the lair doing not-training.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts
Not helping the discussion, just stepping in to say a friend of mine got me to start watching this show and I am of the opinion that it is really, really good.

I am 26 years old.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Chewbacca posted:

Not helping the discussion, just stepping in to say a friend of mine got me to start watching this show and I am of the opinion that it is really, really good.

I am 26 years old.

That is completely okay. There's just something about the words "Ninja", "Mutant", and "Turtle" that, either together or separate, activate something in the male brain, regardless of age. Though actually my wife love this show as well. She's the one bugging me to watch the recording of it when we wake up on Saturdays.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm over the moon to see a thread for this, I've been watching this for awhile and sadly have no friends that have been keeping up with it anywhere. Online, offline, wherever. :(

I'm mostly a fan of the black & white comic book, but this is easily the best "kids" version of the characters. The characterizations are solid, the dialogue is snappy (yeah I said snappy), and I like the fact they're developing a lot of new villains and characters instead of retreading the same old ground. As much as I'd like to see my nostalgia button hit, I'm glad they're not just relying on it like a lot of other revivals do.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The ONLY problem is how to model multiple stages and character models. So in both shows mentioned most of the locations are mostly devoid of human life, and are limited in the number of characters they can have. But if you come in from a perspective of having seen things change from 20 years ago and accepting what the production team has to work with makes a great show even more appreciable. Besides, in another 5-10 years there may be answers to those limitations and beyond.

Yeah, having New York City be... quiet and still is a bit jarring, but it's just part of the issue right now of doing a show on a TV timeline and budget, as I understand it.

tsob posted:

While that was cool I'm still loving Mikey's characterization, and his fascination with naming stuff. I loved how upset he got that Falco named himself and took the whole episode to get over it. Falco looked very creepy in his dark coat and hat, with his eyes covered - but I found the teeth more distracting than horrifying personally. I just find it hilarious that the fire apparently melted his gums and made his teeth grow all over the place everytime I see them.

I was kinda shocked to see the results of that fire, that was relatively grotesque for a kid's show.

How Ingratiating! posted:

Donnie/April looks pretty one-sided to me. April's been amazingly patient with Donnie's awkward teen crush shenanigans so far, though.

It seemed from the most recent episode that she might be crushing on Leo, but it's more a possibility than spelled out. Certainly not as awkward and nerdy as Donny is, anyway.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzILhSX3Qlo

Little preview for this week's episode.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
Why on earth did they move the show from Saturdays to Fridays?

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

I think the Friday is the premiere slot these days.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I was kinda shocked to see the results of that fire, that was relatively grotesque for a kid's show.

It seemed from the most recent episode that she might be crushing on Leo, but it's more a possibility than spelled out. Certainly not as awkward and nerdy as Donny is, anyway.

And then then in the most recent episode snakeweed gets even grosser by pulling one from the Aliens playbook.

I don't think that scene was supposed to show April as crushing on Leo. She just likes gossip, and it was hilarious.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

GrumbleGrumble posted:

I think the Friday is the premiere slot these days.

And I'm definitely not complaining. It was bad enough when CN moved the DC block from Friday to Saturday mornings, so it's nice to see a show recognize its periphery demographic and cater to it by doing little things like this without getting into outright pandering.
Emphasis on the last five words. We don't want to turn this into The Show That Must Not Be Named.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I don't think that scene was supposed to show April as crushing on Leo. She just likes gossip, and it was hilarious.

Yeah, I think you're definitively right, the characterization in the show is subtle as a brickbomb and I shouldn't try and read into subtleties like an adult. :raise:

Twiglet
Jul 2, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

And I'm definitely not complaining. It was bad enough when CN moved the DC block from Friday to Saturday mornings, so it's nice to see a show recognize its periphery demographic and cater to it by doing little things like this without getting into outright pandering.
Emphasis on the last five words. We don't want to turn this into The Show That Must Not Be Named.

I appreciate the fact that they rerun the shows later Saturday afternoon. When I was younger I would miss all my favorite shows like TMNT because of ballet classes and now, I sleep through the morning block. Both CN and Nick are doing it and possibly Hub as well.

Anyway, the writing for this show is fantastic!

And I think Donny's crush on April is really cute, but that's my girly perspective. :3:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
The show is really good and I will keep watching it because it owns

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Holy poo poo, when will this show stop getting better?

That terminator Kraang lady was done very well. I like how they used the limitations of the animation to make a creepy rear end empty school.

They consistently manage to create new mutants without falling into a monster of the week formula.

So much other stuff I want to gush over, this was a great episode and Karai is fun. Hoping for more Leatherhead before the season is over.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Stupid thoughts I have on this show after seeing every ep so far:

Though I'd say the 2003 series is still better overall due to its adherance to the comics and having the best version of April O'Neil and Casey Jones ever, this is easily my favorite of the TMNT series.

The best thing about this show is the characterizations of the turtles and splinter, who are easily the most entertaining versions of them I've ever seen. Leonardo benefits the most from this, as in every other version he is either really, really, violent (though not quite Raph level) or really boring or straight forward. Making him a nerd with a love of terrible "hero" dialogue and being a huge Star Trek nerd, which is hilarious in and of itself. Donatello being more than a plot device and actually arguing with his brothers, being frustrated easily about things like how to fight aliens with a "stupid stick!" and being a "know-it-all" at the worst moments is fantastic for a guy who was mostly "explain maguffin here, and make up bullshit plan" in most mediums. Raph is a fantastic combination of his '87 self and the classic "I want to punch something, anything" Raph. His pet turtle spike and Raph's interactions with him are always great for a laugh too. Michelangelo is pretty much retarded in this series compared to his movie and 2k3 incarnations, but easily has the best dialogue in the series and his obsession with naming stuff "Lets just call him Justin," is fantastic. Despite his mild case of retardation, the show also touches upon his massive natural talent for combat by fighting without thinking and showing how quickly he can learn and adapt to fighting techniques, usually, with backflips.

Splinter is the single best character in this series. Despite his origin of being a human (the pet of Hamato Yoshi was a better origin, but thats not important.) Splinter and his voice actor are amazing, usually stealing every scene he is in and having almost perfect comic delivery to offset him being a such a wise and old master, who happens to enjoy beating the poo poo out of his adopted family on a regular basis. Also, Shredder as a burn victim is loving awesome and should be used more often in future versions of the character if possible.

Questions:

Why does everyone call Yoshi Splinter when the only characters outside of the turtles that Splinter met were April, Rat King, and Leatherhead? Shouldn't Shredder and co. simply call him Yoshi?

Where does the handle of Mikey's nunchuku go when he extends the chain? Or was this just not cared about because it looks cool? (fine if it is)

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

MrJacobs posted:

Questions:

Why does everyone call Yoshi Splinter when the only characters outside of the turtles that Splinter met were April, Rat King, and Leatherhead? Shouldn't Shredder and co. simply call him Yoshi?

Where does the handle of Mikey's nunchuku go when he extends the chain? Or was this just not cared about because it looks cool? (fine if it is)

1) I don't actually know the "official" answer to this, but my guess is that "Splinter" and "Shredder" were nicknames they had for each other while still friends.

2) Mikey's chain goes to the same dimension that Optimus Prime's trailer disappears to when he transforms, duh.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Just saw the description for the next episode. Looks like we might be seeing Casey Jones

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^^ Casey won't appear until Season 2.

This episode probably was the funniest so far. Lots of great jokes.
The storyboard was really fantastic again, that Kraangdroid fight had some really great shots.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Come with me!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I thought we were on season 2. I always get confused when shows take time off.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And of course the new Turtle Van has that goddamn disc launcher on it :laffo:

Anyway, great episode as usual, and any time we get to see Mikey's bouts of sudden competence are fun as hell.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I really like the idea that the Shellraiser is a subway train on wheels, as opposed to an actual Van. There's just so many details that build on the Turtle's environment and character, it's fantastic.
Fishface's fighting choreography was pretty stunning too.

Robocarp would have been a better name, though.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

404GoonNotFound posted:

And of course the new Turtle Van has that goddamn disc launcher on it :laffo:

Anyway, great episode as usual, and any time we get to see Mikey's bouts of sudden competence are fun as hell.

Best toy!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26FM92xuYEk

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

The Turtles story team just started up an art blog

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

Awesome, I would love to see storyboards/model sheets on there.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
It should interest this thread to know Nick has announced a third season of TMNT, already. Considering we're not even finished with season one yet, that's pretty good news.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

El Tortuga posted:

It should interest this thread to know Nick has announced a third season of TMNT, already. Considering we're not even finished with season one yet, that's pretty good news.

Yeah, that's really cool. Show must be making Nick some bank. I know Friday's aren't exactly big ratings getters, but it cool they gave the whole 7-9 block to the show tonight.

Sean Astin was on The Preston & Steve Show(of Y100) this morning, talking about the show. He mentioned that they try to get all of the actors into the booth at the same time, which really explains how well the dialogue flows. He also talked about how he liked the upgrade from Samwise's pots and pans to Raph's sais.

The new episode was pretty solid, if a bit of a non-starter plot-wise. I definitely enjoyed the re-introduction of Tragg and the rock soldiers from Dimension X.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
I really loved it. I mean, holy poo poo I want a new TMNT video game now. Multiwave elevator fight? Brawling through a Krang lair? Boss fight? This episode was pure SNES action.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Thought this was a fun episode with good callbacks to the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So just today I found out that the female Kraangdroid is voiced by Cassandra Peterson, aka Elvira :psyduck:

• Locked thread