Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Keith Atherton posted:

What's this app icon thing you're discussing?
In the latest update (on iPad, I'm not seeing it on iPhone yet) you can select from several app icons. The one you select is the one you see on your home screen. It's apparently been around from iOS 10.3 (see a few posts up) but somehow it's not the hot gimmick that all the app developers jumped on.

I wonder if some games could use it as like a "prestige" thing, like how some console games unlock a special title screen when you finish the game, the app could auto-change the app icon when you've hit a certain goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Reply and especially edit previewing are busted as hell. Just constant previewing forever.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

life is a joke posted:

i vote for either :mamacita: or :poolgirl: or :phoneline:

Here's one I assumed no-one would want.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

dont be mean to me posted:

Reply and especially edit previewing are busted as hell. Just constant previewing forever.

Oh, I forgot to mention: Awful 3.28, iPhone 7+ on 11.0.3, freshly deleted and reinstalled, yada yada yada.

Annnnnd this very thread crashes Awful when I try to load its previous posts; that's just great.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Oh, I forgot to mention: Awful 3.28, iPhone 7+ on 11.0.3, freshly deleted and reinstalled, yada yada yada.

Annnnnd this very thread crashes Awful when I try to load its previous posts; that's just great.

Yeah something is busted for me in the updated app (love the icon switcher, though). My bookmarks list wasn't updating the posts in the thread and I had to load the previous page and then this one to see any posts.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I just realized this thread has negative unread posts if you're caught up with it.

You know how most threads the reply you just posted is marked unread when the post dialog goes to it? This thread doesn't do that.

EDIT:

spanky the dolphin posted:

Here's one I assumed no-one would want.

I'd be down for it. (I have :v: right now and am only modestly amused by it.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 12, 2017

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Makin a post on the ghost page

Hello.jpg

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
While it's probably really frustrating, it's a little bit funny that the update seems to have specifically hosed up just this thread.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Probably just due to Lowtax randomly deleting poo poo in the db for fun, which is breaking the forums :shrug:

Also I can’t seem to get to the last page on this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699735 (warning: contains delicious :burger:)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

kloa posted:

Also I can’t seem to get to the last page on this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699735 (warning: contains delicious :burger:)

That is one dangerous thread. <bookmarks>

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Having the Awful icon be :v: is a wonderful update, thank you for this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I am much enjoying :staredog:

EDIT: Ugh, it’s still not saving my favourite smilies :(

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 12, 2017

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Did the bookmarks on the bookmarks tab all get shifted slightly to the right in this most-recently-released store version, or am I slowly going insane?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Really enjoying the alternate color theme too.

I haven’t checked the settings tab in like a year so it was a nice surprise along with :staredog: as the official icon :haw:

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I hope I can explain this correctly because I am stupid and hopefully hasn't been brought up many times (I did read the past few pages and don't think I saw anything about this).

I use an iPad with this app when I'm not able to browse the forum with my PC (it is a very good app, as an aside, thank you for the work). Before the app did its last update I used to be able to leave it on a thread page that I was reading, and I could go use a different app for quite some time (often hours) or have my iPad on the lock screen. When I opened Awful app again it would put me back in the same thread and page where I had left off before.

However now if I leave the Awful app to go to another then after a very short time that thread will unload itself from the app and I'll be presented with the main forum list and I'll have to go find the thread again.

Was something changed and I've missed an option somewhere? Or maybe something wasn't changed and there's an option that has gone to its default behaviour?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

RoboJoe posted:

Before the app did its last update I used to be able to leave it on a thread page that I was reading, and I could go use a different app for quite some time (often hours) or have my iPad on the lock screen. When I opened Awful app again it would put me back in the same thread and page where I had left off before.

However now if I leave the Awful app to go to another then after a very short time that thread will unload itself from the app and I'll be presented with the main forum list and I'll have to go find the thread again.

Was something changed and I've missed an option somewhere? Or maybe something wasn't changed and there's an option that has gone to its default behaviour?

Same but Bookmarks tab for me, on an iPhone 6+, iOS 10.3.3, and I've only seen this since the new update to App Store v3.28 of Awful app.

Feature request: would it be possible to search/filter the SA smilies (in both the Awful reply keyboard here, and in the Messages stickers) by typing keywords or something of the kind?

The new alternate icons, on the other hand, are excellent :getin:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Oh gosh, I just updated. 3.28. (iOS 11.0.3)

Save image -> Crash. Every time. It never requests photo permission, and I don't see it in Privacy. I swear that this use to work.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

IllegallySober posted:

Did the bookmarks on the bookmarks tab all get shifted slightly to the right in this most-recently-released store version, or am I slowly going insane?

Not sure about that but the 'back' button at top left when reading a thread seems to be smaller now (or doesnt always work when pressing). End up hitting the 'scroll to top' button first a lot today. Iphone 6s

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Had a weird bug a minute ago. Tried to play an embedded video inside a tweet, video didn't play, chalked it up to Verizon being lovely and moved onto the next thread. While browsing the next thread, the video popped up and played.

iOS 10.3.3 on an iPhone SE, Awful 3.28.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

RoboJoe posted:

Before the app did its last update I used to be able to leave it on a thread page that I was reading, and I could go use a different app for quite some time (often hours) or have my iPad on the lock screen. When I opened Awful app again it would put me back in the same thread and page where I had left off before.

I’m having the same problem on my iPad. I keep coming back to the app to find its lost the thread I was in previously. If it matters, it’s an archived thread that I can’t bookmark.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Didn't there used to be a setting where you could tell the Awful app to open to a particular tab on startup (say, Bookmarks instead of the forums list?)

It's opening to the forums list as of the latest version and it's kinda annoying as I'd rather it go to Bookmarks instead. Can someone point me in the right direction?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Another post for the ghost page

pwn
May 27, 2004

gently caress this bullshit, goddamn it ZDR you gently caress you broke the forums

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pwn posted:

Another post for the ghost page

:ghost:

This thread is relatively easy to access, you try to load it, wait til it fails, hit the page button down the bottom and select 'last post.'

The Beta thread seems completely broken outside of desktop url-editing hacks.

I guess we need fresh, ZDR-free threads :shrug:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Cum page cum post

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I have an OP ready to go if we want to switch. Once we agree to do it, I'll post it as a new thread and simultaneously deliver a change to the link in Settings in the app itself, unless there are objections?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

I have an OP ready to go if we want to switch. Once we agree to do it, I'll post it as a new thread and simultaneously deliver a change to the link in Settings in the app itself, unless there are objections?

If you're gonna submit an update to the app I made some app icon changes that'd be great to get bundled in with it?

Crossposting from Beta Thread:

I've got a couple new app icons and 2 tweaked ones here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_J1KGlvSez7TGFTTmt1a0xDd00

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://youtu.be/FQRW0RM4V0k

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

If you're gonna submit an update to the app I made some app icon changes that'd be great to get bundled in with it?

Crossposting from Beta Thread:

I'd just be making the commit to the repo, pokeyman is in charge of submitting updates so it wouldn't happen for a few days after he makes the submission. Plenty of time so I can make sure your images get added too :)

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

I'd just be making the commit to the repo, pokeyman is in charge of submitting updates so it wouldn't happen for a few days after he makes the submission. Plenty of time so I can make sure your images get added too :)

Splendid!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Still waiting for confirmation on changing threads but your request went in

This feature now lets me distinguish between broken and really broken versions of the app much faster :v:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

pwn posted:

Page 261 isn’t loading?

Trying to access from page 260

Long press on thread from bookmarks. There was the same “can’t load page” dialogue box. Upon pressing OK, it froze there

It froze, had to restart the app

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11, latest stable Awful.

You got the explanation for the load failure, but freezing when showing a preview doesn't help anyone, so I'll make a note of that for future investigation.

I'll check it out. Works on my machine but I did change some stuff in there so maybe I need to go fiddle with some settings to find out when it breaks. And I'll make a note about the crash, we're getting some fun new corner cases these days!

The_Doctor posted:

EDIT: Ugh, it’s still not saving my favourite smilies :(

If it helps, I made no attempt to fix it (yet).

IllegallySober posted:

It's entirely possible. This is the first release built with the iOS 11 SDK and sometimes system stuff changes a little bit between releases? Especially if I screw something up and inadvertently rely on some implementation detail that gets changed. I'ma blame that because I don't remember doing any work in the area.

RoboJoe posted:

I hope I can explain this correctly because I am stupid and hopefully hasn't been brought up many times (I did read the past few pages and don't think I saw anything about this).

I use an iPad with this app when I'm not able to browse the forum with my PC (it is a very good app, as an aside, thank you for the work). Before the app did its last update I used to be able to leave it on a thread page that I was reading, and I could go use a different app for quite some time (often hours) or have my iPad on the lock screen. When I opened Awful app again it would put me back in the same thread and page where I had left off before.

You've explained it well, and while it's not the first time this issue has come up I've apparently broken something again. I'll have a look, I think I know vaguely what's happening.

Grace Baiting posted:

Feature request: would it be possible to search/filter the SA smilies (in both the Awful reply keyboard here, and in the Messages stickers) by typing keywords or something of the kind?

It's probably slightly more likely in the keyboard, because the Messages stickers are literally just a pile of gifs and don't have any smarts behind them. Though maybe it's possible to make a Messages app that replicates sticker functionality but also has a search box? I'll have to do some research on that.

Xenomorph posted:

Oh gosh, I just updated. 3.28. (iOS 11.0.3)

Save image -> Crash. Every time. It never requests photo permission, and I don't see it in Privacy. I swear that this use to work.

Whoops. Sounds like a new iOS 11 thing I missed. Should be an easy fix.

got any sevens posted:

Not sure about that but the 'back' button at top left when reading a thread seems to be smaller now (or doesnt always work when pressing). End up hitting the 'scroll to top' button first a lot today. Iphone 6s

This sounds like another "entirely possible, didn't notice, but will take a look now".

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Had a weird bug a minute ago. Tried to play an embedded video inside a tweet, video didn't play, chalked it up to Verizon being lovely and moved onto the next thread. While browsing the next thread, the video popped up and played.

iOS 10.3.3 on an iPhone SE, Awful 3.28.

I agree with your characterization of "weird". Sounds like a fun one to reproduce too :) I'll make a note!

IllegallySober posted:

Didn't there used to be a setting where you could tell the Awful app to open to a particular tab on startup (say, Bookmarks instead of the forums list?)

It's opening to the forums list as of the latest version and it's kinda annoying as I'd rather it go to Bookmarks instead. Can someone point me in the right direction?

There did, yeah. I got rid of it after implementing the thing that's supposed to bring you right back to where you were when you reopen Awful. You know, the thing I seemingly broke for everyone but me in the latest update. I'll look into it, it's one of those "don't notice it until it breaks" features that I hate being without.

carry on then posted:

Fire it up. I'll link to it and close this ol' thread down when you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Let's ditch this hell thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837546

• Locked thread