Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Awful literally takes the chunk of HTML for the bottom banner ad on the website and shoves it in at the bottom. If you see the ads in Awful but not the website proper, that's definitely a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tapedump posted:

Two things: I thank you for the clarification of the pinch gestures. Apparently they do not work on iPad (due to plenty of real estate).

Second, I have bought No-Ads but yet still see the sexy chicks in both Awful and Maxx apps (I do not use the iPhone apps).

In your forum (not app) options, is "Show member banners" set to yes or no? These are the ads that show in Awful, and I believe that even with No-Ads it's set to yes by default.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Tapedump posted:

Two things: I thank you for the clarification of the pinch gestures. Apparently they do not work on iPad (due to plenty of real estate).

Second, I have bought No-Ads but yet still see the sexy chicks in both Awful and Maxx apps (I do not use the iPhone apps).

I think pinch to zoom could be useful on iPad to give a showthread template only. Where things like avatars and would be cut off and you'd just see the thread and posts inside it.

I think it's been mentioned as being worked on but a instapaper almost type of view for things like LP's and really long threads would be amazing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

gently caress me why did I not get No-Ads sooner.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

pokeyman posted:

gently caress me why did I not get No-Ads sooner.

:hfive: agreed!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hello awful users. I've been getting thread tags done at a faster rate than usual (basically I stopped caring about how accurate they are to the original, adopting a something is better than nothing attitude) and just wanted to make a last chance post to say if there are any tags that piss you off because they are missing let me know and I'll make them top priority.

I think the new build has close to 100 new thread icons already and has the ability to add new ones without having to send an update to the App Store, so keeping up once we have them all done will be super easy.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Looking through my subscribed list, I noticed these:

GHOSTS shows us as fyad-ghosts in plain text:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506319

gently caress shows up as terrordome in plain text:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489860

SOUTH shows up as lan-south in plain text:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032580

NEW shows up as bss-new in plain text:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441118

(I might be a version or two behind, now that I think of it)

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
Whatever tag is on the Breaking Bad Hiatus thread just shows up as "fyad-menopause".

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You know what would be awesome?

Pull to refresh all of your favorite forums at once.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Is there a 1.6? The latest version I can see in the App Store is 1.5.15, under Regular Berry.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

zergstain posted:

Is there a 1.6? The latest version I can see in the App Store is 1.5.15, under Regular Berry.

That should be the latest version. The next version will be released as a new app under Pokeyman's account, but he's having one hell of a hard time getting it approved.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

That should be the latest version. The next version will be released as a new app under Pokeyman's account, but he's having one hell of a hard time getting it approved.

Oh, it said 1.7 was awaiting approval, so I was wondering if there was a 1.6 release somewhere.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

zergstain posted:

Oh, it said 1.7 was awaiting approval, so I was wondering if there was a 1.6 release somewhere.

Pokeyman can clarify, but I think the plan is to put out one more update to the old app that points people to the new app once it's released. I guess that's 1.6?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The last of the OHIO line will be 1.5.16. That update has been accepted and will be pushed as soon as we're ready.

1.6 was the first version I submitted to the App Store. When it got rejected, the fixes for that rejection (plus image uploads) became 1.7, which I then submitted to the App Store. 1.7.1 has a one-line fix for the most recent rejection (sorry TCC denizens) and I submitted it today. 1.8 is an excellent and massive visual upgrade thanks to The Dave and Diabolik900. It's ready to go as soon as 1.7.1 gets accepted.

1.9 is under development, featuring cached posts. Then it's on to 2.0, where UISplitViewController goes to die.

All of these versions have a whole bunch of various fixes and tweaks (and thread tags!).

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Did you have to just hide tcc or what's the deal?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That's the current plan.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone who reads TCC has already hocked their phone to buy drugs anyway. (I kid)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Odds are good that once you get the app approved you can wait a few months and then re-enable TCC. Or maybe sneak it by during the Christmas rush. :v:

There's no way they check every little detail every time, right?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another visual bug:

Open bookmarks tab.
Press Edit button.
Scroll down.

The unread counts are half off the screen, probably because the rows are not adjusting size to account for the delete button

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Mine's working fine. Has yours always been like that?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Awful S2 Max on an iPhone 5:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The new build doesn't even have that edit button so it doesn't matter. To remove bookmarks you have to do the slide horizontally to reveal the remove button.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

There's no way they check every little detail every time, right?

My understanding is that new apps (which this is technically) get checked a lot more thoroughly than updates. So I wouldn't be surprised if we can get it through in a later update.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Could probably also add a hidden way to enable it if need be and never really get caught by apple because the app isn't really in the spotlight.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm a colossal buffoon. I heard you were making a new app called Awful and sat here still (retardedly) assuming I'd see an update in my App Store when it released. The way people are talking it sounds like its already out?

I searched for "Awful"
And just saw Regular Berry's and S II Maxx.

Is new one out? How do I find?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Feenix posted:

I'm a colossal buffoon. I heard you were making a new app called Awful and sat here still (retardedly) assuming I'd see an update in my App Store when it released. The way people are talking it sounds like its already out?

I searched for "Awful"

It's not out yet.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Feenix posted:

I searched for "Awful"

There'll be a final update to Regular Berry's Awful once the new app is out, that will do nothing but tell you the new app is out. I'll update the link in the OP too, and I'll post here. You won't miss the announcement.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

pokeyman posted:

There'll be a final update to Regular Berry's Awful once the new app is out, that will do nothing but tell you the new app is out. I'll update the link in the OP too, and I'll post here. You won't miss the announcement.
Ah. Understood. Perhaps the mentions I saw we're just testers or something... Thanks!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Had any more approval hiccups or should we be able to experience the new Awful soon?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Here's a little peek at the current thread tag progress, it's pretty significant ( these all won't make the next release, but will make the one after that!):

The Dave fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 4, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Dave posted:

Here's a little peek at the current thread tag progress, it's pretty significant ( these all won't make the next release, but will make the one after that!):

That's pretty great. Nice work!

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

The Dave posted:

Thanks for doing all of this, it's much appreciated!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

To put some perspective to this, there are 404 tags done and 75 left to do. I believe the version of the app that everyone has now is missing about 250. There might be a few more that were added in the last few months, but I doubt it's very many.

Edit: Oh, and version 1.8 will have the ability for us to add more as they're finished without the need for an App Store update.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 4, 2012

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
If you're taking feature requests, I'd love customisable font/font size and the ability to sort your bookmark tab to have threads with new posts first (SALR style). Are those at the very least feasible?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Certainly feasible, won't promise anything on actually implementing them. Thanks for the ideas!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
pokeyman - I sent you an email about this, but the release that lost the always persistent bookmarks view for iPad in landscape really upset me.

I liked having bookmarks visible at all times, it made it real easy to get caught up on a bunch of threads with only a couple of new posts each.

Any way we could get this back, at least as an option?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

gently caress me. Guess what was in my spam folder. I'm sorry I didn't respond, and thanks for following up.

I have the same setup: bunch of bookmarked threads, each with a handful of new replies. I'm not sure how to go about it. I can't stand having the bookmarks (/forums/favorites/settings) view always open. But that certainly doesn't rule out an option.

Do you like the bookmarks view open for any other reason? Or do you prefer it just for your bookmarks? I've been thinking about some kind of consolidated bookmarked threads view, so you can quickly go through all of your bookmarked threads' unread posts.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

pokeyman posted:

gently caress me. Guess what was in my spam folder. I'm sorry I didn't respond, and thanks for following up.

I have the same setup: bunch of bookmarked threads, each with a handful of new replies. I'm not sure how to go about it. I can't stand having the bookmarks (/forums/favorites/settings) view always open. But that certainly doesn't rule out an option.

Do you like the bookmarks view open for any other reason? Or do you prefer it just for your bookmarks? I've been thinking about some kind of consolidated bookmarked threads view, so you can quickly go through all of your bookmarked threads' unread posts.
I only browse the forums by bookmarks - never any other way.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I use it in a similar way for reading my bookmarked threads, but for general browsing, there really needs to be a way to hide the sidebar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
May have already been requested but: Ability to color-choose your Faves/bookmarked threads.

• Locked thread