Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Awful iPhone/iPad apps - The Forums Changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Holy poo poo yes! Using chrome was a pain.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Got an idea I wouldn't mind seeing in Awful, but I also wanted to stop in and show my appreciation for the hard work put into making this app!

It would be cool if there was an option to make the sidebar toggable along with the other options available already. If you picture the Facebook app for a second, you can pull the main window to the right and the left sidebar appears, but in Awful it would stay there until you went to swipe it away. The reading area would scrunch up as if the sidebar was set to permanent.

I know you can just change the setting and rotate, but this idea came about when browsing my bookmarked threads. It's nice to have the sidebar there when I'm quickly checking a bunch of threads with only a few replies, but then I have threads with hundreds of pages unread that I get sucked into and I want more screen real estate while reading those.

Just throwing that out there!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the difference in favs and bookmarks? I have zero favs so it seems useless currently.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Is there a way to view text inside spoiler tags in the Awful app?

Tap the black spoiler text.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Can anyone get this post to show up in Awful App?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499796&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

E: small bug (not related): I noticed sometimes when I'm browsing threads on the bookmarked tab, when I go to hit the star for favs, and hit it again to go back to the full list, I'll get the network error but doesn't cause any issues, minus the popup.

kloa fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 19, 2013

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I just get the same blank page as Elysium.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Just updated the app on both my phone and mini but now it just crashes on the mini.

I'll try reinstalling but just a heads up.

E: app works after reinstall but nothing shows up in the forum list tab.

kloa fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 27, 2013

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Nah works perfectly on the phone.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Yea I was on the latest version. The app wasn't showing an update until I opened the App Store.

I'm on iOS 6.1 if it matters.

E: ^^^^^ I'm on my home network.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I noticed that the Edit option was missing on one of my posts earlier too. Not sure what happened, but I edited a post earlier and worked fine :iiam:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Found a bug for ya on iPhone:

- Pull down to refresh bookmarks
- Click thread while refresh occurs
- Go back to bookmarks and get the following perma item in bookmarks list

Force close removes it though so no biggie.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Yea it seems a bit too sensitive in Facebook. It's much better on this app.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Would it be viable to mark each post "read" as you scroll by it, or would that cause too many back-and-forth requests to the site and your phone (or could it be saved internally, then use that internal variable to load the correct starting post within the thread)?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Does it work if you pull oh-so-incredibly slowly from just above the bottom toolbar?

Works fine on my iPhone 4. Refresh is ready by 60%~ of screen pull.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Maybe I'm imagining things but I thought if you reached the end of a forums page and hit the "load next page swirly" and immediately scrolled up, it would get cancelled. Doesn't seem to work since I've updated (if it was a feature).

Thanks for all the (hard?) work though on the app. Definitely my most used app.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Could you make it when I hit the favorite button, it brings me to the top of my faves? That way it's easier than scrolling back when I'm 5 pages deep.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

^A smart man.

jivjov posted:

Any word on a iOS 7 compatibility fix? I'm very tempted to install the beta, and Awful not being compatible is quite possibly the only thing keeping me back.

Works fine on my iPhone 4.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Guess you could compile the source without ads if you really wanted to.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

The app update notes are always so entertaining. I actually read the ones for Awful!

I always read the Awful patch notes. It's the only app I am happy to see under the App Store that needs updating!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Does anyone still have the frog icons, or can get the ones from the android app?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Why, exactly? I'm not a huge fan of it. It's just annoying that we can't use the standard grenade.

Because I want to replace the current icon with a cool frog?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Any chance for the ability to swipe left on the screen to go back a screen? Something like Reeder does, rather than having to hit the button to go back.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Grabbed the update but now when I browse a thread in E/N and hit the back button to jump to the thread lists, it brings me to the top of the forum instead of where I left off scrolled down.

5s iOS 7.0.2

E: same for GBS but bookmarks returns me just fine :iiam:

kloa fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 9, 2013

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

For you master debuggers out there, I can't access page 317 of the following thread on iOS 7 iPhone 5s 7.0.4:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2119436

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Oh god, the app lives again! My pooping time will go up significantly! :woop:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Swipe up the control center from the bottom, there's a button.

Pretty sure he meant specific to the Awful app. I too would like it locked, but when viewing Youtube videos through Awful app, have it to where I can rotate the screen to landscape.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I was testing out the color themes on yospos and when I switched to the light gray theme it always crashes when attempting to view a thread and can't edit it back to any other theme now. iOS 7.0.4 5s

For all I know this is a feature and not a bug :shrug:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

pokeyman secretly took you off his blacklist :ssh:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

It would become Awful-er!

But seriously, I prefer the inline browser over switching to a whole separate app.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I can go past page 1 :eyepop:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I rarely venture outside of my precious bookmarks.php, but thanks for the quick turnaround on a fix :tipshat:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah I get crashes a lot too but it's probably the megathreads I read and not a huge deal. Takes less than two seconds to reopen the app and get back to where I was.

:same:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Probably just due to Lowtax randomly deleting poo poo in the db for fun, which is breaking the forums :shrug:

Also I can’t seem to get to the last page on this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699735 (warning: contains delicious :burger:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Really enjoying the alternate color theme too.

I haven’t checked the settings tab in like a year so it was a nice surprise along with :staredog: as the official icon :haw:

• Locked thread