Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

In truly terrible news, it seems like iGoon is no longer in the App Store. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Edit: You know, there is one thing that bothers me and I know it's being worked on. Thread icons. They're really nice looking, but it bugs me when there's a blank one. I'd love to help with it, but I don't have any software.

I hear ya, there's just a lot of icons and limited time to do them. The next release is gonna have at least a few more. If anyone wants to help out making some, get in touch with me or The Dave.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Edit: Just testing something

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I never thought of that before, but I would love it. Instapaper is another app that works similarly.

Edit: Also, getting thread lists to automatically refresh again would make me very, very happy.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 11, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

It does? Honestly I never use it but have it and I just took it for a spin and the UI elements were static the whole time.

I'd like to start with having the page stuff be actually on the bottom, but keeping the title bar static, I don't know why. Maybe I just need baby steps.

I think that you should have the option of seeing the controls from anywhere on the page, but it makes sense to hide them by default when you're in the middle of a page. I like the idea that they're there when you load the page, disappear when you start scrolling, and reappear when either you tap on screen or reach the bottom of the page.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

No, it's nothing new in the app but I think the most surprising thing is that it was never rejected before. The Dropbox app was rejected back in May for the same issue.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've never noticed that issue before, but I can confirm that that post looks fine in the latest builds. I'm not sure if it works in the version currently waiting for review, but it looks like it'll be fixed in the next version after that.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

completely annoying since awful allows you load only unread

This is a good point. I wouldn't mind losing it at this point.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tapedump posted:

Two things: I thank you for the clarification of the pinch gestures. Apparently they do not work on iPad (due to plenty of real estate).

Second, I have bought No-Ads but yet still see the sexy chicks in both Awful and Maxx apps (I do not use the iPhone apps).

In your forum (not app) options, is "Show member banners" set to yes or no? These are the ads that show in Awful, and I believe that even with No-Ads it's set to yes by default.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

zergstain posted:

Is there a 1.6? The latest version I can see in the App Store is 1.5.15, under Regular Berry.

That should be the latest version. The next version will be released as a new app under Pokeyman's account, but he's having one hell of a hard time getting it approved.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

zergstain posted:

Oh, it said 1.7 was awaiting approval, so I was wondering if there was a 1.6 release somewhere.

Pokeyman can clarify, but I think the plan is to put out one more update to the old app that points people to the new app once it's released. I guess that's 1.6?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

There's no way they check every little detail every time, right?

My understanding is that new apps (which this is technically) get checked a lot more thoroughly than updates. So I wouldn't be surprised if we can get it through in a later update.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

Here's a little peek at the current thread tag progress, it's pretty significant ( these all won't make the next release, but will make the one after that!):

To put some perspective to this, there are 404 tags done and 75 left to do. I believe the version of the app that everyone has now is missing about 250. There might be a few more that were added in the last few months, but I doubt it's very many.

Edit: Oh, and version 1.8 will have the ability for us to add more as they're finished without the need for an App Store update.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 4, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Taima posted:

I've been getting that Title not Found error relentlessly for the last day or so.

It's so bad I can't even use the app, which is weird because it worked flawlessly without a single problem before that.

The app needs to handle it better, but I think it's because the forums have been having some issues.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Edit2: It has some odd looking animation when refreshing. I assume you're aware of it?

I noticed this too, but it's much better in the newer versions, so please be patient.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

Also, are the SALR colors coming back for bookmarks? I found them useful.

FYI, that's a default forums thing not SALR. I don't use them, so I honestly never noticed they were gone while testing but I do think they should come back.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

I really liked previously that threads which were closed had grey text on the Bookmarks list. Can that come back as an option?

This is already fixed in newer builds.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

qbert posted:

I downloaded the new app for my iPad, and now whenever I visit any thread, the menu icon in the upper left corner completely disappears, making it impossible to get back to the forums/bookmarks list.

Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

Edit: Okay, just realized that this has been replaced with a swipe right to bring the menu back. It would be great if there was some sort of guide to explain these kinds of changes.

Definitely a bug. The button should still be there.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Karthe posted:

Is there a way to see what version I'm running? I haven't seen the update yet - the 1.7/1.8/1.9 talk is for the Awful app with the horrible magenta background on startup, right?

No. The new version is a brand new app (at least as far as the App Store is concerned). There's a link in the OP.

Glad people are overall so positive about 1.7. 1.8 and 1.9 are the real nice ones though. Can't wait til they're out.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The old app should still be available under your purchased apps in the App Store, and TCC may or may not come back in a future update.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That doesn't look like a bug to me unless I'm misunderstanding the issue. It looks like it's just a transparent gif.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

myron cope posted:

Just to be clear, since I read my post again and I sounded like a dick, I don't care about the potions thread tag and I appreciate your hard work. I was just joshin ya

I'll speak for The Dave for a second to say don't worry about it. We caught four or five tags that were misspelled because of your post.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I realized yesterday that this is probably Space Ghost in this one, but I don't know enough about Space Ghost to find a source image.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Atarian posted:

The episode is called "Fire Ant". There are two versions. The standard 11 minute one, and one that is over 20 minutes that is mostly Space Ghost following the ant. My avatar is from this episode.

Awesome. I found the episode on Youtube, so that should be one down, only five more to go.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Where on the forums are you typing in Korean? (Not trying to be a dick, genuinely curious)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Test: 한국인들의 냄비근성 하여튼 알아줘야해. (Copied and pasted from Korea Megathread)

Edit: Looks like it works in 1.9. I'm assuming it's part of the string encoding stuff that Pokeyman figured out recently.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The current version is 1.7. Since it took so long to get 1.7 approved, 1.8 was submitted to the App Store as soon as 1.7 was approved. Hopefully, that'll be out in the next few days. 1.9 is in development/testing right now (and it's pretty sweet).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Technically I'd say the new interface is less shiny, but I definitely think it's an improvement.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They'll still be included in the app, but it checks the github repository for new ones and downloads them.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Just testing.

What is with that thing where we have to crop pictures to a square before posting? I swear that wasn't there when I first tested it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TACD posted:

I know this has been brought up before and may be nothing to do with the app, but in the new version are there any logfiles or anything that could maybe help diagnose why I can never use it on 3G?

Don't know the answer to your question, but can you access the forums in Safari? I've heard other people say before that the forums were blocked by their carriers by default.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I can't answer everything, but here's a couple things I can respond to.

sirbeefalot posted:

- Is there any kind of auto reload after a set length of time away from the app? I haven't noticed, but maybe I've missed it. If I come back to the app after leaving it in a subforum or thread and its been more than 5 minutes or so, I'd really like it to refresh automatically (more so in the thread listing than in threads themselves). Same deal if I tap the "Bookmarks" tab after browsing from the "Forums" tab for a while.

I have no idea why, but this got dropped from the app somewhere along the way and is very annoying, but it's back in the version that's currently in development/beta testing.

quote:

Why on earth are the forum ads at the bottom of the page included? Why isn't there an option to turn them off?

If my memory serves me correctly, the very first version of the app didn't have the ads, and Ohio (the original developer) was told by an admin (I don't know who specifically) to include them. This was a few years ago, so I might be remembering wrong though.

quote:

Beyond that, it doesn't even successfully open the post. I get a 404 error.

Pokeyman accidentally submitted an earlier build of the current version to the App Store and didn't realize until after it was approved. He's since submitted the REAL build, and it's currently waiting for review. I'm pretty sure this bug will be fixed in the final version.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Since it was taken on the iPhone 5 the resolution should be 3264x2448.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ignore this test.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 4, 2012

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

withak posted:

Cool rock.

It was the first Google Image result for "picture."

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

This dark mode?

I honestly don't use dark mode in any other apps, but I've taken to it in Awful 1.9.

Not sure if he's submitted it to Apple yet, but Pokeyman finalized 1.9 some time yesterday.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Edit: Are you two testers by the way? Or is there someway to get 1.9 early I'm unaware of.

The Dave and I (mostly Dave in the last few versions) have been doing most of the design for the app, while Pokeyman takes care of all the real development work. There are some more beta testers, but I'm honestly not sure who they are at this point. I'd assume that pseudonordic is from his posts.

If you know what you're doing, you could get 1.9 now by building it from source.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

Last test: posting rear cam from library
Failed w/ Error -1. Fiddlesticks!

I have a feeling that the problem is just that the pictures from the rear camera are just so big. I have managed to make it work before, but not reliably. This image:

was something I took with the rear camera. It took several tries to upload it though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Will archives work with Awful? I do most of my browsing on this great app so I want to know before I 'waste' my :10bux:

There's no way to browse archives, but clicking a link to an archived thread works the same way as clicking a link to an active thread. I'm honestly not sure what the behavior is in the current release version, but in 1.9 it will open the thread in the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

You can't bookmark an archived thread.

• Locked thread