Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Diabolik900 posted:

I think that you should have the option of seeing the controls from anywhere on the page, but it makes sense to hide them by default when you're in the middle of a page. I like the idea that they're there when you load the page, disappear when you start scrolling, and reappear when either you tap on screen or reach the bottom of the page.
This would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Valencia posted:

I read all of the thread and I don't recall seeing anyone post about the issues I'm having, so hopefully this bug report will be helpful to someone. For a good while now, the app has been making GBS threads itself in image-heavy threads. I have several different problems related to image threads:

1) It seems to take a long time to load and display all of the pictures in a large thread, and eventually the app will give up and either display blank space, black space or partial images for certain pictures, as seen here:

2) Scrolling down through a thread, I get a bit down the page and then as it loads more images it will bump me back to the post it first loaded, and continue doing this several times until it finishes loading (or more likely not loading) all of the content.

3) Pressing and holding down to save an image to the camera roll results in a neverending pinwheel approximately 50% of the time.

It wouldn't be quite so annoying if the majority of threads I read to kill time on my lunch break weren't chock-full of images by design :(

I can't remember this being reported before (so thank you!) but I'm having the same issues as well.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Oceanbound posted:

The biggest problem I would like fixed is reading a thread and all of a sudden getting bumped back to the top because the app has finally finished loading all of the images.

I'd even be okay with going back to the loading icon spinning in the top-right corner until everything is loaded so I at least know to wait to start reading. As it is, you currently have no idea whether the app is still loading images once it finishes loading all the text (at least that's what I think is going on.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I really liked previously that threads which were closed had grey text on the Bookmarks list. Can that come back as an option?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

step aside posted:

I'm also not a fan of having to switch to Safari for links. I liked that I could view a link and then go back to the thread with a single tap. If you're final on your decision that this is how it's going to work, it's not the biggest deal in the world, but I definitely prefer having the in app browser.

I second all of this as well as preferring the animation when refreshing threads be as it was in the old Awful. I really am not a fan of the refreshing threads thing.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

The Gasmask posted:

Not sure if this has been addressed, but is there any plan to set it to view your post once you've posted? Right now it jumps to the top of the current page, which is a hair annoying.

Otherwise I'm loving the new version!
Oh, I forgot about this. Yes, I agree that this would be great.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

So happy the app is back :toot:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Choochacacko posted:

I've fixed the login issue temporarily on my end until a proper fix can be made available in the app store.

Please don't ever leave us, Choochacacko. :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm hitting the ... Button all the time now as well. Wish it was less sensitive.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

smackfu posted:

Ah, I think it's just when you click the source link in quotes and the target is on another page. Like go to page 86 in this thread, and click on Keska's username before the quote in your comment which is the first on the page. That hangs my iPhone 5 for five seconds or so.

I get this too and a loading indicator of some kind would be nice.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Diabolik900 posted:

I had no idea it was supposed to do this. I use 12 hour time, but the app has shown me 24 hour time for a long time.

Yup, I always thought it was supposed to be that way. :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I'd really like to see the feature where if you were quoted the text was highlighted come back in some form. I get that you guys don't want a big green box in this layout and that's cool, but even if just the text was highlighted without a background box, that'd be really nice.

Edit: I also think you could save some space by reducing the text size of the joined on date.

Edit 2: Apparently the text color quote thing is still in the app, just light purple? I'd prefer it be a couple shades darker to stand out but that works. Carry on. :)

Referee fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 17, 2013

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Count me as a +1 for desiring an app-level text size option.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Charles Martel posted:

Loving the new app, but the only problem I have with it is the options menu appearing "cut off" when tapping on the blue dots that have been moved to the end of someone's post. "Mark Read to Here" is cut off and "Quote" doesn't even show up. Closing the app and re-opening it doesn't do any good.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4, Awful 2.0.1

It's a swipe menu. Swipe sideways to get the rest of the options.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Niemat posted:

Well, it's not necessarily that I need threads I've posted in at the top--I want it to register that threads are being updated, which it doesn't do after I post in a thread and force refresh.

Edit: Maybe I'm not explaining the issue correctly? And if I'm the only one having the issue, I can certainly just deal with it.

This happens to me about once a day or so. Sometimes threads I reply to don't refresh in the list until/unless I kill the app.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

EugeneJ posted:

The App Store icon has a "1" on its icon, and when I click App Store and the "Updates" tab, it lists the Awful App but it just says "Open" and the icon won't change even after I've updated and opened the app

Try killing the App Store and re-launching it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Possible bug report:

The iOS Games Megathread in Inspect Your Gadgets will not load page 432 (the most recent page) for me in the app no matter what I do. I'm not sure if something got posted there that the app can't load or what. Can someone else try to open that thread in the app and tell me if they can get it to work? For me, it attempts to load the thread and then brings up a blank screen with "end of the thread" and hitting previous posts does nothing.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Any chance of swiping to delete bookmarks coming back in the next release?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

101 posted:

Why would you want this? It genuinely baffles me

I'm clumsy and it always leads to me accidentally removing threads and not having a clue what they were

It's not like it's a hardship right now

I asked because I got used to having it like most other stock apps (mail, music, etc)?

Different people have different opinions. It was just a question.

Perhaps it could even be a settings toggle. Then everyone can have it the way they want?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Me as well. Seems like the sensitivity is a little too high.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

ClydeUmney posted:

Is anyone else having an issue where pictures sometimes load at a very small size? It's not every picture, but it's a lot of them, and I can't click (okay, tap) on them or anything to make them size. If they're quoted, they seem to be normal size, though.

Funny, I'd never seen this before you posted that but I just got this too.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Since the latest update if I try to open a YouTube link from the app it times out about 80% of the time and the other 20% the video never buffers. If I long-click and open in YouTube instead things work fine.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

That's a strange one, I don't think we did anything to youtube embeds in this update. It's one of the more annoying parts of the app as we get no real control over it, it's just a video tag in a webview.

It's still worth mentioning in the thread though sometimes we can do stuff about it!

It could also just be my phone too (I'm on a 5) but I thought I'd mention it in case I wasn't the only one. I'm getting it on WiFi and on LTE for what it's worth.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm getting some weird loading errors with the latest version. Pulling up to go to the next page is occasionally timing out and if it times out and I try again, it's kicking me back to the first page of the thread.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm having issues getting embedded YouTube videos to play in this latest version. iPhone 5, 8.0.1.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Possibly dumb question ahead.

So if I'm scrolling through a thread and click on an embedded YouTube link, it will open. If I then turn the phone to landscape to view it, the screen stops playing the video and brings the sidebar in. If I then re-click the link, the video (usually, but not always) plays in landscape. I have "Hide Sidebar In Landscape" enabled in the settings.

What can I do to simply watch the video in landscape the first time?

I'm on a 6 Plus with the latest firmware, not on the beta app.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I seem to remember my username being highlighted in purple if it appeared outside of a quote in previous versions but now it does not. Was this option removed?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

It was not removed, at least not intentionally. Let's test: IllegallySober pokeyman

Worked that time. Weird. Thanks.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, this happens to me too. It never did this in any previous version and I don't like getting used to it :(

Thirding this.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Any time I use the smilie keyboard when composing a reply it then grays out the bottom half of the screen after posting which requires killing the app to clear.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

That's a weird one, though I think it's come up once or twice before. Do you remember if you got to the keyboard by tapping the ":-)" button or by the usual system-wide keyboard selector globe key?

Used the ":-)" button. Although I think I've had it happen both ways.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I can't upload any images at all using the [img] option from the copy menu. Guessing this is an 8.3 issue as I just updated. Selecting [img] immediately crashed to springboard.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Is there an app update coming soon? The workaround for scrolling to Page 2 of a forum isn't working all the time for me.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

Submitted yesterday, though I don't remember if it does anything to help that issue. I'll fix it for next version though, I know it's been broken for ages.

Awesome. Thanks for all your hard work :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Kaethela posted:

It's not just you. I've run into this issue way more often than I'm comfortable with.

Also agreeing with this and am pretty sure this is already on the list as I know I've at least mentioned it before- but can we push it up the list a little further towards the top?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Most YouTube videos or pages with several gifs/YouTubes are crashing the app for me. Also having the crash when viewing YouTube videos in landscape on the rare occasion I can get them launched.

I'm on a 6+, latest version of regular app and regular OS release (not the beta)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

If one opens up a web page inside the Awful app and then rotates (in my case, always accidentally) to landscape, when rotating back to portrait, the web page is gone.

6 Plus, latest retail build

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

CancerStick posted:

Anybody notice the bookmarks and thread list page scrolls really... Hitchy? When reading a thread it scrolls smooth but not elsewhere. I closed the app and upon reboot it still does it.

Just upgraded to IOS 9 on an iPhone 6.

Same thing, 6+

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Brain Curry posted:

I think this is only with the hide sidebar in landscape on. How is that supposed to work on the 6+ because I always get the sidebar when I accidentally rotate.

I can confirm I had that option turned on and can also confirm it doesn't seem to work as intended :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Not on the beta but I would vote against that X as well.

• Locked thread