Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I forgot / didn't notice that Unsho Ishizuka was going to be in the movie! Here's hoping he brings some of that HAADO-BOIRUDO with him. :allears:

Mika being all :smug: was loving hilarious for some reason. Kougami as the "bad guy" was like the least surprising twist ever. Here's hopin' we get the movie sometime within 2015.

vvv e: Naoyoshi Shiotani was one of the two directors for both seasons of Psycho-Pass and the Blood-C Movie. They probably mentioned Blood-C because it's his only other standalone Director Credit. :shrug: vvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wait, I saw Blood-C and now I'm worried.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That looks absolutely loving amazing and I'm hyped as hell.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Alder posted:

Wait, I saw Blood-C and now I'm worried.

This is being done by essentially the same creative team as the first 22 episodes of Psycho-Pass.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Great Rumbler posted:

This is being done by essentially the same creative team as the first 22 episodes of Psycho-Pass.

Ok some hope restored but will wait and see. I guess.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Great Rumbler posted:

....gently caress no :(

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
How is that a bad thing?

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
its defitenly better then being done by the team behind the second season.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

ViggyNash posted:

How is that a bad thing?
Arkeus is I think the only person who preferred Psycho-Pass 2.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Psycho Pass movie OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZdxCXx3ZjE

It's decent enough. Of note, it definitively proves that this takes places after Season 2.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just finished watching the first season, and it was interesting overall, but I think the show falls apart if you look too closely, because of the alternative ways it presents Sibyl system, which don't really work together.

For example, if the Sibyl system can do whatever it wants:
-Why do the helmets still work after the trick is revealed?
-Why can't it just immediately have people like Makishima stunned and apprehended once it recognizes them?
-Why does the Sibyl system seem so generally unintelligent most of the time, except when the plot requires it to be sinister?
-In the last episode (I think) Akane explains that her crime coefficient has gone down because the society (i.e. the Sibyl system) needs her. Is it really arbitrary? In general the crime coefficient and psycho-pass seem too consistent to be decided according the whims of the Sibyl system. Maybe there really is an algorithm that can be overridden in certain situations?

In general, in terms of sci-fi ideas, I think it was more interesting to see the glimmers of a society that was completely unfair to individuals and didn't mind imprisoning them even if they had never committed crimes, but that actually functioned surprisingly well to a point that it would be difficult to call it a dystopia. Things like academic research and aggression are disincentive to the point where it seems unlikely that the society could ever change (at least as a result of humans), so basically the possibility of progress would have been sacrificed for providing a perfectly safe life for those who the system accepts. I wouldn't be surprised if people mostly only have jobs to keep them busy/happy, but it's hard to tell because in some ways we're shown so little of the rest of society.

Basically, the big reveal was kind of interesting on its own, but I think it was a mistake because it undermined the premise of the show

I don't know if any of this has been addressed in the second season, which I haven't watched and don't really feel like watching after reading some of the posts here about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, the second season doesn't do the first any favors, but it's got some interesting ideas even if it flubs making something of them.

Sybil is meant to be an impartial judge, but because it is based on humans, even if they are abnormal humans, it ends up falling prey to bias and emotional attachment. As for your specific questions:
The helmets still work because it blocks Sybil's ability to read brains, and it can't have Makishima or other asymptomatics arrested because Sybil must abide by it's own rules in order to justify its actions. If it starts arresting people w/ low psycho-passes, for whatever reason, then it undermines itself. Therefore, it has to manipulate people to do the job for it.

• Locked thread