Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rodyle posted:

And? She had the means to save her friend and didn't even try. It's a lovely scene and just made me hate how she's our female lead and not someone cool like Yayoi. She sucked so much that I kind of hated the other characters because it felt like she was just made to make them cooler by comparison.
Part of the point of the series is how the society the characters live in strips them of the mindset that would allow them to act. The "cooler" characters are more comprehensible to us for the exact same reason that they are considered monsters by everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Not to deny the possibility of s2 being 11 episodes, but is there a source for this? MAL seems to happily apply random numbers to shows. Wikipedia/Syoboi/Moon Phase still have the episode count as "unknown".

I've been the enjoying this season to some degree, but the last few episodes feel so wonky.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Agreed with how S2 is hindered by only 11 episodes too. I'd love to get Akane's HUE rating for the latest episode but oh well. You know it's going to get serious once the MC does the Gendo Ikari pose.

Is the grandmother experiencing some senility or some other drug? No matter how I look at it, she is one calm person in a kidnapping scenario. Does this mean Akane's parents are estranged/missing?

Also, I thought Kamui "judged" the illegal immigrants as unworthy people to receive his care and punished them along w/the businessmen in the mansion.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Alder posted:

Is the grandmother experiencing some senility or some other drug? No matter how I look at it, she is one calm person in a kidnapping scenario. Does this mean Akane's parents are estranged/missing?

They said her parents were moved to a safe location after the incident where the W.C. was carved into her apartment wall.

And I think her grandmother has Eustress Deficiency, or at least Akane believes this (as opposed to the common belief that it's an urban legend). Meaning she can't move and can't feel, so yea.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Alder posted:

Also, I thought Kamui "judged" the illegal immigrants as unworthy people to receive his care and punished them along w/the businessmen in the mansion.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with judgement and everything to do with them not being able or wanting to live anymore mate.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Rodyle posted:

And? She had the means to save her friend and didn't even try.

Because if she shot and killed Makishima her criminal coefficient would've shot up so she'd either spend the rest of her life in prison or get killed by another Inspector. Characters in psycho pass spend their entire lives insulated from anything that takes their mind off their pleasantly dull existence. Sybil takes all their free will away and the point of the Dominator from the very first scene of the show is "just let the gun decide, if it says shoot, then shoot", actually using your own free will to decide to shoot is pretty much unthinkable and the sort of thing that gets you gibbed if you start contemplating it, and exactly what Makishima wants.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Blockhouse posted:

I could not agree more with this ANN review and going through this thread I'm genuinely surprised there are people who seem to be unironically liking this season.

Its pretty much payoff for everything that was established last season, why wouldn't we like it if we liked the first season?

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

darkgray posted:

Not to deny the possibility of s2 being 11 episodes, but is there a source for this? MAL seems to happily apply random numbers to shows. Wikipedia/Syoboi/Moon Phase still have the episode count as "unknown".

I've been the enjoying this season to some degree, but the last few episodes feel so wonky.

Here is the fact sheet from Fuji Creative.

http://www.fujicreative.co.jp/Portals/0/special/anime/Psycho-pass/index2.html

Also since it is in the noitamina timeslot, it has to end this season due to the fact that there is another show airing at that time slot for next season.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Its pretty much payoff for everything that was established last season, why wouldn't we like it if we liked the first season?

This could not have less to do with the themes or anything of the first season. It's payoff written by someone who was only vaguely aware of what the show was about.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm pretty sure the only reason I'm still watching it is how much I liked the first season (like someone said above). Depending on how attached one is to the series, season two is something between zany and ridiculous

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's doing a pretty good job of undermining every theme that the first season worked to build, so far, and is about as deep plot-wise as a mud puddle. I'm predicting Kogami will show up in the last episode and blow up Sybil or something, because that's where this terrible writing is headed like a freight train.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Psycho Pass 2: Gemini of Sybil

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm enjoying season 2, but then I'm not taking it the slightest bit seriously either.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

Psycho Pass 2: Gemini of Sybil

See now: While Darker than Black's 2nd season did indeed have a less than stellar showing, it still made sense in a sort of way that was explained by what went down in the Mangas.

It just... wasn't as good as the first season. And to be honest, the first season was spec--

OKAY IT'S THE SAME GODDAMN THING.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wark Say posted:

See now: While Darker than Black's 2nd season did indeed have a less than stellar showing, it still made sense in a sort of way that was explained by what went down in the Mangas.

It just... wasn't as good as the first season. And to be honest, the first season was spec--

OKAY IT'S THE SAME GODDAMN THING.

Words can't describe how let down I'd felt after DtB's S2 ending. And the OVAs didn't make it at all better either way.

Still I want to wait until the final episode to judge the series to be fair. I will go down with this ship.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yeah, things could end up being stupid, or they could end up working out fine. A lot of the ANN reviewer's opinions are based on certain assumptions that I don't agree with (such as whether Mika is asymptomatic or not). I also didn't have a problem with some things that apparently a lot of people did like Kamui being a Frankenstein's monster, or the fact that the police didn't look up his name (from moment one I assumed "Kamui" to be a codename so and the thought that it was his real name never crossed my head so I sympathised with the investigators). And I think the season has some real strong points, I feel it highlights how hosed up and stunted the thought process of the people who grew up under Sibyl is in ways I don't feel were quite as clear in the first season.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The only thing that really bugged me is how long it took people to admit he even existed. Everyone just hanging out saying

"Well sure that guy last year turned out to be real. And he killed a ton of people and almost destroyed the country, but this time it actually is impossible even though it's basically the exact sane thing. Also we are well aware that technology that messes with the sensors exists but let's not even mention that either"

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Dr_Amazing posted:

The only thing that really bugged me is how long it took people to admit he even existed. Everyone just hanging out saying

"Well sure that guy last year turned out to be real. And he killed a ton of people and almost destroyed the country, but this time it actually is impossible even though it's basically the exact sane thing. Also we are well aware that technology that messes with the sensors exists but let's not even mention that either"

But you see, admitting that there's a problem is admitting defeat :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RIP Akane's grandmother. However, her death feels cheap even as way to motivate her to act in a reckless manner and just turn Togane into more villain-like character. I mean, it's hard to build an emotional connection when one person appears for approx 10-30 secs in a series. Um, killing elderly relatives is bad? Same with puppies?

S2 is winding up faster than I expected and last episode has the ability to either make or break it for Winter 2014. Unfortunately, Mika never really got any better from her intro. So it goes.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I have to say, I really enjoyed the Kogami talking down Akane scene. Especially watching this show in concert with the Extended Edition of the first series, despite himself, Kogami was an excellent influence on Akane's psyche. Even though Akane is still with the Sibyl System and Kogami couldn't be more wanted by the System if he tried, they definitely bring out the best in each other.

Excited to see how this all wraps up next week, but I'm also looking forward to how it ties into the movie.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Alder posted:

RIP Akane's grandmother. However, her death feels cheap even as way to motivate her to act in a reckless manner and just turn Togane into more villain-like character. I mean, it's hard to build an emotional connection when one person appears for approx 10-30 secs in a series. Um, killing elderly relatives is bad? Same with puppies?

S2 is winding up faster than I expected and last episode has the ability to either make or break it for Winter 2014. Unfortunately, Mika never really got any better from her intro. So it goes.

The goal of that murder was pretty much to do what it accomplished with you- It was Togane's big trump card to turn her black, and it utterly failed. The anti-climatic way it was delivered is to show the anti-climatic impact it has on Akane's mental health.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I just finished Season 1. Should I proceed to Season 2 or wait to see how people respond to the final?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
If you space the episodes out a bit you'll be ready to watch the last one with the rest of us. I'm still finding the ride to be fun. It's not as impactful as the first season, but I still think it's enjoyable.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think that (at least if you followed the 1st show in a weekly basis), part of what made the 1st season work is that the “slow episodes” allowed for a really consistent tone.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I finished the first season earlier this week. It was good! I don't really want to see it continued though, the ending seemed fine.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Arkeus posted:

The goal of that murder was pretty much to do what it accomplished with you- It was Togane's big trump card to turn her black, and it utterly failed. The anti-climatic way it was delivered is to show the anti-climatic impact it has on Akane's mental health.

Probably how I'm just overestimating S2 also but up to now the story has been very rocky. I know certain characters have slated for specific roles but it's not what I'd call subtle. Then again, this is all based of my own conjecture.

It's late in the game to begin S2 but it's a short sequel so it's fine.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Alder posted:

Probably how I'm just overestimating S2 also but up to now the story has been very rocky. I know certain characters have slated for specific roles but it's not what I'd call subtle. Then again, this is all based of my own conjecture.

Oh, how are you over-estimating S2? so far i am quite pleased with it myself- it's much more consistent and has a much stronger message than S1.

Also, it doesn't have the horriblness that was Kogami and BlandVillain, which really helps.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Instead we have two bland villains

what an improvement

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Arkeus posted:

Oh, how are you over-estimating S2? so far i am quite pleased with it myself- it's much more consistent and has a much stronger message than S1.

Also, it doesn't have the horriblness that was Kogami and BlandVillain, which really helps.

A stronger message doesn't always mean better. I've been kinda tolerating this season so far, but I just had to laugh out loud at Togane's 'evil' face in the most recent episode and Akane and Sibyl's terrible back and forth. It's incredibly ham handed and it's not a satisfying takedown of Sibyl if it's accomplished because most of the characters have turned into raving morons.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the takedown doesn't even make sense sibyl isn't a computer it's a bunch of human brains you can't just paradox it into submission when it can decide to stop playing by its own rules at will

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Blockhouse posted:

the takedown doesn't even make sense sibyl isn't a computer it's a bunch of human brains you can't just paradox it into submission when it can decide to stop playing by its own rules at will

The gamble is that the majority of the brains do want to play by its own rules and that seems to be what Akane is counting on.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Arkeus posted:

I expected a closer focus on Akane's character development and less chasing down villains who seem to have 100+ backup plans for last minute escapes. Yes, we all know Sybil is bad but from the preview I want to know about our heroes instead of well, crazy villain has some crazy plans about something. Mika's character arc just went nowhere too.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Blockhouse posted:

As it constantly did. In season 1. Constantly. Almost like that was a theme of the material or something!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The biggest problem I'm having is that there has been no character development, let along character arcs, in this season. It's pretty clear that it's being written by someone who's trying to copy Urobutchi's grimdark style, but doesn't have the chops, which is why we get trashy scenes like that clinic where everyone gets popped and immigrants who have been reconstructed into animals and then had a hologram overlaid.

S2 is such a premium example of why changing writers rarely ends well.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Rime posted:

The biggest problem I'm having is that there has been no character development, let along character arcs, in this season.

I think the opposite. Akane has evolved to the point where she can objectively see what the Sybyl system actually is - that is a very mechanical, homeostatic system where anyone who rocks the boat (psychologically) is dealt with in rather gruesome fashion (inspectors, citizens) or co-opted (Togane, The Professor, Ginoza, every enforcer presented).

I kind of feel like Akane wants Sybyl to be judged. Evidence: didn't want Togane to shoot Kamui during the dockside scene, letting Kamui know about the explosives.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Huragok posted:

I think the opposite. Akane has evolved to the point where she can objectively see what the Sybyl system actually is - that is a very mechanical, homeostatic system where anyone who rocks the boat (psychologically) is dealt with in rather gruesome fashion (inspectors, citizens) or co-opted (Togane, The Professor, Ginoza, every enforcer presented).

I kind of feel like Akane wants Sybyl to be judged. Evidence: didn't want Togane to shoot Kamui during the dockside scene, letting Kamui know about the explosives.

I'd argue all of that happened in season one

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It was Kamui's guy that kidnapped the grandmother right? So how did team Sibyl end up killing her?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Dr_Amazing posted:

It was Kamui's guy that kidnapped the grandmother right? So how did team Sibyl end up killing her?

He found and then killed her instead of rescuing.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

A stronger message doesn't always mean better. I've been kinda tolerating this season so far, but I just had to laugh out loud at Togane's 'evil' face in the most recent episode and Akane and Sibyl's terrible back and forth. It's incredibly ham handed and it's not a satisfying takedown of Sibyl if it's accomplished because most of the characters have turned into raving morons.

Togane's evil face? what? seems like either you or I are completely misreading this show.

Alder posted:

I expected a closer focus on Akane's character development and less chasing down villains who seem to have 100+ backup plans for last minute escapes. Yes, we all know Sybil is bad but from the preview I want to know about our heroes instead of well, crazy villain has some crazy plans about something. Mika's character arc just went nowhere too.

Yeah, it seems we are watching a different show. Akane doesn't want to take down Sybil, she wants to make it stronger and more pervasive. Sybil isn't "bad" in the show, the whole theme of S2 is how Akane has to juggle a direct attack against Sybil into a way to make Sybil stronger and not just defend it.

If you have been watching the show wanting some kind of Sybil take down or "Togane is Evil" straightforwadness (Togane's theme is that he is a failure sent to test potential successes. He is a parallell to Akane, in the sense that they tried to make him into someone like Akane and failed, and now Togane's role is to make sure future successes are indeed successes... by being a psycho that try as hard as he can to make them fail) or some such... yeah, i can see how we would see two completely different messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well stronger in a certain sense, she wants it to be more objective and less driven by pettiness or ego like the Togane chief.

• Locked thread