Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Good_Haro posted:

So basically what I'm saying is it's poo poo.

Really? I mean, I enjoyed it but would agree that it's definitely not great. I just think that's there's way worse out there and right now at it's worst the show is just mediocre. poo poo? I think that's being a bit tough on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

AzraelNewtype posted:

A show with no redeeming features is poo poo, not mediocre. Not being the worst show ever made is not the same as having redeeming features.

That would be a great point if I completely agreed with the fact that it has no redeeming features, except I didn't and I don't. So yes, it seemed to me like she was being a bit hard on it but hey, she's perfectly free to feel that way, I really don't care about the show that much and certainly won't make any huge defence for it.

Guess I know where you stand on it though because I apparently have Stockholm syndrome just for not hating it!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

AzraelNewtype posted:

No, I think you have Stockholm Syndrome for the way you chose to defend it. The other people who for some bizarre reason agree that it wasn't that bad but didn't try to justify it with "c'mon guys, there's totally worse stuff out there," aren't at all the same.

I wasn't even trying all that hard to defend it, sorry if it looked like I was. I wasn't indicating that because brother loving anime and boob shows exists that this has to be mediocre by sheer virtue. It's just that compared to shows like say, Muv Luv: Total Eclipse, which has just been loving terrible in pretty much every respect (animation, story, characters, ect) I'm just not seeing the total lack of anything redeemable compared to these other shows? It's one episode in and while it was clunky there's some things there that maybe could turn out good? Sure, could turn out to be poo poo, but I'm not seeing it from the first episode alone like so many apparently are.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

psychoticBacofoil posted:

Finally freaking got to see Episode 5 today, I really wonder who the guy that threw today's criminal under the bus is, I guess we really do have the plot set up.

Speculation: It's who Kogami is after, probably from the case that pushed him into becoming an enforcer to begin with.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
While the first episode definitely got off on a bad start, I think the show has done pretty good to build itself up and I'm really liking it. I do wish the main character would do more than "run around be useless" and hope she becomes more useful soon.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Silver2195 posted:

She was useful during the story arc about Internet celebrities. She also saved an innocent person's life in the first episode.

She was only somewhat useful there, but I'm more talking about when they actually go into the field and hunt down the criminals. It would be great if she became a bit more assertive as the series goes on.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
New Ep (14) spoilers

So it looks like they found a way to bypass the dominators. Is this perhaps going to force the enforcers to carry non-standard guns so they can actually deal with threats that happen in populated areas? Or else their job is going to get a lot fuckin harder to do.

Edit: They made a new OP for some reason (same song, different visuals)

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 24, 2013

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Well now. Episode 16 spoilers

So the chief is a robot! Definitely think that the room is powered by humans/brains, and that the Sibyl system is actually infiltrating human society to take it over and make the world completely populated by robots. Just a wild theory on my part.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
New episode!

and well...some people were pretty much on the mark! Sibyl is run on brains, and more specifically, of people who can't be quantified by the system. Is Akane perhaps going to be a target of the system, and perhaps Kogami only rebels when he sees that happen? Who knows? the show definitely got drat interesting.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

jonjonaug posted:

The director of the show seems to have tweeted about being "sorry" about the quality of episode 18, and that this will be "fixed" (probably means BD version).

Prepare for animation errors.

Yeah, when I can notice that something looks like poo poo, there's definitely a problem. Good thing it'll get fixed for BD release, because...drat.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

My Gimmick Name posted:

I'm kind of curious to why the council of smarts didn't pull an override on Akane's dominator when she had Shogo in her sights in the underground thunderdome. Tazing him way back then would have saved quite a lot of grief.

I suppose you need the bot there for the override? Maybe letting Shogo's drama play out to see if he was the real deal?

I think it's more that if they did that something would have been tipped off that something is wrong with the Dominator's. From what I think, the Dominators still read the correct numbers, but the brain tank can simply override it and go "hey, shoot anyway."

By having the dominator force itself like that, it would have set all sorts of red flags that something is up with how Sybil works. The only reason why they decided to let Akane in on it now after all is because they absolutely had to, and they've seen her faith in the system after what Makishima pulled.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rime posted:

Oh poo poo, the finale is tonights? For reals?

Yeah, episode is up and it's done. I'd overall call the show pretty good, but I think it could have been much better. It felt all very much by the numbers.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Redcrimson posted:

Looks like the dub cast is entirely Funimation B-listers, so it's either going to be a refreshing change of pace or a horrible trainwreck. Probably gonna depend entirely on who the ADR Director is.

Robert McCollum was great in Sengoku Basara, and Kate Oxley also did good work in Darker Than Black so I have high hopes for Kogami and Akane. The big question mark is Alex Organ playing Shōgo Makishima because he seems to be super new, but the rest of the names have been getting bigger and bigger roles as of late, so with the right ADR director this could be a really good dub.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Wark Say posted:

Isn't he the guy who wrote the Mardock Scramble series of movies?

Yes. He's an okay writer and the Mardock Scramble movies are pretty good, even though I wish the second two held up to the action scene the first movie had and I believe Urobuchi is at least going to supervise. I don't think there's any cause for concern.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

The blatant way in Togami and Kogami are being paralleled (hell, even their names are drat close

While it still does sound a little similar, it's less of a parallel if you actually spell the name right, which is Tougane.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Alder posted:

Funimation you've let me down once again :dance:

At least standardize your own character's names please.

I couldn't remember what Funi used so I pulled from wiki. I know it had a n though. Did they spell it Togane?

(Edit: whew ANN backs me up on the spelling so if Funi used something different I guess they're weird)

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 18, 2014

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

darkgray posted:

Japanese official website has the romanized versions as Kogami and Togane. A more, uh, anal romanization would be Kougami and Tougane.

That's what I thought. Funimation's way is perfectly fine as well. I just had it different because I grabbed from a website and its the more anal one because it's open to anime fans and well, you've all seen MAL.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

NowonSA posted:

Just watched episode 3. Things are properly kicking off now. It's going to be so glorious when Akane is proven 100% right :allears:.

There's an interesting insight into Togami (or Togane according to Funi) too that isn't at all what we've been speculating so far.

So yeah, check it out and talk about it, you know what to do.

Uh, it's even Togane when they say it in Japanese. His name isn't Togami and it isn't Funimation loving it up. I don't know where you're getting this from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm surprised by how neutral/positive the thread has generally been about this season. ANN's Hope Chapman has really been getting the knives out for it in her episode reviews.

I think it's usually best to actually review things on a whole, not just episode wise, but that's just me. She's been wrong about things but generally backs up her complaints, I just don't agree with how she sees some things. I like the show overall. It's definitely very different from Season 1, but I think it's a good change of pace. I don't think the writers butchered anything, and while it definitely could have been better, I think it's still pretty good as is, so I'm happy.

• Locked thread