Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coathat
May 21, 2007

Yeah that was about as generic and bad as you can possibly make a cyberpunk cop show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

That was one boring episode. Some atrocious dialog going on there in the hospital too. I can't really find a single positive thing to say about the show at this point.

coathat
May 21, 2007

No it's just a bad show.

coathat
May 21, 2007

How do you not want Akane to have already done anything. She was introduced as the A#1 police recruit and then we found out that she was in fact the most qualified best person for any possible job in the entire county. It's plain lovely writing that she's been a useless waste of space 8 episodes.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Why are you taking the system's evaluation of her at face value?

I'm not going to defend Akane as a masterwork of characterization, because she really could use a more tangible conflict than "I don't know what to think of Kougami, what do I do?," but she's been very consistently portrayed as anything but "the most qualifed person".

She saved a woman's life in ep1, but had to resort to shooting her subordinate to do it; she botched an investigation and got an informant killed, etc. These aren't accidents or a failure of writing -- the question you should be asking is "why did the system assign a naive fuckup to the harsh and ultra-pragmatic police force?"

Well none of the characters are any good at their jobs. Kogami can punch out a robot but he's overpowered by a highchool principle and out run by nerd bleeding to death. And entire team surrounds a club and just lets every suspect escape with out doing a drat thing. Akane fits right in.

It's completly fair to blame the writers for making a boring lovely main character. Who cares about the possible motivations of the system when that hasn't been a factor in story at all.

• Locked thread