Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I have to say this first episode did a much better job of representing that "Gen Urobuchi is a monster" joke than either Madoka or F;Z did in their entirety: poo poo was pretty grim all over, and none of it seemed to be the fault of the characters involved, other than maybe the crazy criminal guy.

Which is part of why police-girl comes across as such a drat incongruous character. She's supposed to be the viewer surrogate, sure, but she seems a little too ignorant about how things work to be believable. A bit of "here's the sunny side of this society" would've made her easier to swallow. As it stands, this is taking the "out of their depth rookie" cliche to some craaazy extremes.

I dunno. Was better than the most of the new poo poo this season. We'll see if it can't get it's act together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Second episode hasn't chased me off this show yet, and was actually a lot less off-putting than the first one. This show is basically Ghost in the Shell plus some other stuff that isn't as good, which still means it's way better than something that ISN'T at least PARTIALLY Ghost in the Shell. I really like the design aesthetics of the setting, even if the character designs are... I mean that chick's eyes are SO big, goddamn...

The way Kougami seemed excited about potentially getting to behave like a cop instead of a criminal-seeking missile struck me as neato. Then he goes and ruins it by talking about his FATED CONFRONTATION with a MYSTERIOUS FIGURE from his DARK PAST who is probably another SUPER HANDSOME GUY :argh: anime!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dr_Amazing posted:

Overall I just don't get why anyone did what they did in the episode.

Because otherwise there wouldn't have been a sweet chase scene and a shoot out.

This show's dumb! But I still like it. In particular I think it looks neato; even Akane's freaky mug doesn't bug me that much anymore

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's hilarious that Kougami is driven pretty much solely by a chance to get revenge on this guy and he doesn't even know who Kougami is

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 30, 2012

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Gino strikes me as one of those characters that's trying really hard to convince himself the shittiness of a situation is perfectly fine and in fact, the way things should be, when pretty much everyone around him realizes otherwise

Doesn't make him any less of a toolshed but the fact that there's a good foundation to his stupidity makes him less annoying

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think it's a lot more obvious that Old cop is douchebag cop's father. That whole thing with him tossing him around really struck me as a "I may be a latent criminal but I raised you better than that." Plus he didn't immediately get paralyzed or anything for doing it.

I dunno, as likely as that reveal is, you could just as easily chalk that scene up to being a guy with lovely social skills being outnumbered by literally every single one of his coworkers/subordinates.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So, Sasayama seems kind of like a shithead to me. Very much sort of a "Hey, being a cop means I get to shoot people, right?" kind of character. Kind of makes Kougami's attachment to him seem weird, but then again, Kougami was kind of a shithead for the stunt he pulled with the Dominator this episode too. It's like somehow after Sasayama died Gino inherited both his and Kougami's shittiness.

It wasn't a bad episode, but to be honest, I kind of feel like punching the staff for letting the cliffhanger from the end of last episode go on for an extra week.:argh:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm pretty proud of the entire core cast after that episode. Except Kagari, anyway :buddy:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Akane put on her protagonist pants, finally

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I was pretty pleased with the final episode until the epilogue; I felt it brought things to kind of a humdrum note in trying to hint at a sequel. Although a room full of jarred brains laughing at Akane was pretty funny

Alas, poor Nobuchika. You don't know what you've got... till it's gone.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So I'm not sure how this season stands up to the first one in terms of characters or story or theme, what with it not being finished and all, and I KNOW it's not as pretty to look at, but I do think the plot:action ratio is balanced more to my liking. But that's probably because I am easily amused by explosions and seeing people run around and do stuff.

Gino making good use of his condition was cool. And was this the first mention of Dominators having limited ammo? I always figured they worked on sci-fi future space magic.

Also, I think there's something delightfully Japanese about the notion of realistic depictions of gore and death making people stop playing a shooting game instead of play it like 3x as hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

YF-23 posted:

Akane stopping Togane was stupid as poo poo. Yeah just let Kamui get away not like he hasn't had a track record of getting dozens of people killed on like a weekly basis so far.

Yeah, it was stupid, but emotional decisions have a tendency to be like that. She's got kind of a sore spot about that kind of thing, if you recall.

A fun/stupid/irritating (depending on your interpretation) thing about Akane is that you can argue that she should do things differently, but there's a good chance her bleeding heart by-the-book "Come what may" approach is the reason her Psycho-Pass stays so low. We've already seen two good, pragmatic cops who were less idealism-driven end up dead because of how this world works; Akane's dumb anime protagonist morality might be only thing that puts her in her in a position to do any real good, as opposed to being treated like a subhuman the way Enforcers end up

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 15, 2014

• Locked thread