Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This promo is what's especially gotten me excited for this show. The department is broken down into the Enforcers and Inspectors, and since the Enforcers have a high crime potential it's the job of the Inspectors to deal with any of them that get out of line. The majority of the cast are Enforcers, and Akane is an Inspector.

If this doesn't become a plot point I am gonna be so mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Darth Walrus posted:

Plot point? It seems obvious that that's going to be Shinya and Akane's basic character dynamic. Clueless, rule-abiding newbie trying to keep maverick veteran in line - that's pretty standard for a cop show.

It's more implied that the Inspectors are brought on board in part to kill Enforcers that get out of line, so it's a little bit darker than that.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chas McGill posted:

Watched the trailer for this and it looks OK. I was expecting it to be more GITSy and visually interesting. Still looking forward to it, just not as much.

From the reactions I've seen to the preview screenings, the majority of people are complimenting it for having fantastic background scenery and writing, with pretty standard character animation. Honestly, though, as long as the writing is good the animation isn't going to bother me.

MadRhetoric posted:

I'm sorry, the correct answer is Blassreiter. Good hustle with the "say popular thing sucks" answer though!

How dare you dislike something that is popular, Popehoist. :frog:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

From watching the first episode, it seems like the entire point of this show is that the system for detecting crimes in advance actually doesn't really work as intended at all, and the protagonist is more or less aware of that. Stress is picked up in the system alongside criminal intent.

The rest of your problems seem like you don't like the infodump exposition that they did, either. I didn't like it, either, but the rest of the show seems interesting enough to make up for it.

First episode was pretty good. :toot:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Good_Haro posted:

I think if that was the point, it was executed very hamfistedly. Further, if this is how the society works, how does Akane even see it as something wrong immediately? Shouldn't she be indoctrinated to this poo poo? Especially if she's a law-enforcement officer? It just doesn't make any goddamn sense and the premise was interesting so it's actually infuriating.

Well, she did mention that she wrote a paper about the subject, and pretty much nobody else besides her seems to consider any alternatives. There were a lot of hints in the writing that this is more or less the case. I dunno, I'm not expecting that much from the first episode besides establishing the who's and the what's for the series.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Good_Haro posted:

In that case why didn't she seem to know about the contagion factor of the criminal coefficient? Why didn't she know about the use of high-coefficient rated people on the police force? Why her partner hand her a couple of dangerous criminals to control with no apparent training on the subject? Why did they charge in without any actual plan? And that's not even scratching the surface.

There were a lot of times in the episode where she was like "well yeah, I do know this but.." and then someone else just explains it anyways for the benefit of the audience. That's basically bad exposition 101, but a shitload of anime seems to do this anyways. I have no idea how you can get into this medium and still be bothered by poor handling of infodumps this much.

But I dunno, whatever. Go watch Texhnolyze if you haven't because it seems like it's basically everything you're asking for.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah, even if the setting and plot aren't super deep or amazing I am still probably going to end up watching most of it because the gun makes people explode. The scenery is also pretty cool. Coincidentally Blame! owned.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Man at this point I'm not really even looking forward to episode 2 as much as I am the internet's collective reaction to it, if episode 1 was any indication.

laplace posted:

This is an interesting article that goes into some pretty interesting details about the potential origin of Psycho-Pass as a fanfic visual novel Urobuchi wrote a while ago after he saw the movie Equilibrium.

If the stuff discussed in that post hold true, than that pretty much explains exactly why Psycho-Pass is so terrible.

This article owns pretty hard. Yes, Psycho-Pass and Equilibrium are both about what is effectively the same organization. The Enforcers of Psycho-Pass have guns and shoot people, and so do the Clerics in Equilibrium. Thus they are the same. :bravo:

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 18, 2012

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Episode 2 was pretty interesting. I am not feeling the OP at all, though. The song is alright but the animation is pretty :shepface:.

The setting development this episode was also pretty cool, and didn't seem nearly as forced as Ep 1. So it turns out the dystopian future is actually a anti-utopian future with a nice thick coat of holograms applied to everything so it seems a bit less lovely. The Equilibrium comparisons are a bit more apt now, but at the same time there are some heavy Brave New World vibes going on. At one point in the episode mood altering drugs are mentioned, which I'm guessing work sort of like Soma.

Also it was pretty nice to see someone get mad at the MC for complaining about how hard her life is.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

laplace posted:

It wasn't so much about the fact that Equilibrium and Psycho-Pass have similarities as it is the fact that the Visual Novel Urobuchi wrote before this could have been used as inspiration for Psycho-Pass, considering how the novel deviates in the same ways that Psycho-Pass does. It's not the derivative matter that was the issue, but rather the fact that Urobuchi has been toying with these ideas already and they haven't worked for him. I've read the Novel and it definitely isn't his best work (Gun Kata? Please) and the same problems arise in Psycho-Pass.

Gun Kata is from Equilibrium. Like, reading over that dude's article it sounds like the VN he made was literally just Equilibrium fanfiction with nothing changed.

Sakurazuka posted:

Also they made it sound like the 'training' she got for the job was just an aptitude test then they dumped her on her first day, which makes her reaction more likely but is still very silly.

I dunno, it doesn't really seem silly to me. She's basically told to go report in, reports in and is told to go to that crime scene, and then without really being told anything is supposed to do her job because they're so short-staffed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lodoubt posted:

Yeah. The old guy or Kougami being a legitimate psychopath who is grooming the new girl to get hosed over catastrophically later would be an actual good twist.

It seems like there is a pretty good chance that Akane is actually a psychopath. One of the points brought up this episode is that the preceding events did not phase her at all. Her emotion hue is sky blue, or something similar to that, despite the fact that she was apparently freaking out the entire time. The whole "only person in the entire city absolutely qualified for that position" part is a little strange. Also the name of the show is Psycho-Pass. Say that out loud.

It's gonna happen man.

Also, meta spoilers Episode 4 is titled No One Knows Your Mask, 5 is No One Knows Your Face. Akane is described as being inwardly cunning in some promo material was well, IIRC.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 20, 2012

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dr_Amazing posted:

What do you even do with a 5 year old potential criminal? What crime is he going to commit? It's clear that the rating can change even from day to day. You'd think they'd just keep an eye on him or something, not give him a life sentence.

He got flagged for his Psycho-Pass, not his Crime Coefficient. Psycho-Pass is based on hues, Crime Coefficient is numbers. So he wasn't tagged for being a criminal until he had an incident at age 5 in regards to his Psycho-Pass, which he apparently couldn't recover from or something weird like that.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think we finally have enough information to know how Dominators actually work now. If the target has a sufficiently high crime coefficient, they are tazed. The cutoff for this is 300, at which point it turns to lethal mode, or if the target is unable to be tazed. Non organic targets get the disintegration mode.

So I guess what actually happened first episode was that the rapist's crime coefficient is high enough to be tazed, at which point the Dominator fails to work. So it ups to the next tier, at which point he also takes a hostage so he's automatically upped to lethal. When the girl they shot freaked out she, for whatever reason, was also at 300, probably because of stress, so the gun also wants to kill her. When she finally calms down and isn't about to blow them all up the gun reassesses the situation and drops it back down to taze.

What I want to know is why the guy in this episode only got tazed instead of being killed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

pandaK posted:

Well didn't he only have a P-P level of 265? You yourself said it cuts off at 300, and he wasn't hopped up on drugs or anything so the taze went through just fine.

He was totally about to kill them, though. I think it might be because it was only directly because of the robots.

Also Psycho-Pass and Crime Coefficient are different. A Psycho-Pass is a hue that gives a general indication of your disposition, your Crime Coefficient is your capability/willingness to commit a crime.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dr_Amazing posted:

I also don't really get why they didn't just grab the awkward guy and drag him into the parking lot for a scan. Sending him on a robot rampage seems like a bad move.

It was Shinya's plan, and it fits his character. He's supposed to be a compulsive liar that likes manipulating people, tormenting people, and apparently enjoys stopping criminals through violence, if this episode is anything to judge.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

wfwon posted:

Just throwing this out there, so a person with multiple personalities disorder can technically be able to bypass the psycho-pass and crime coefficient? given that the current personality is not threatening to the society?

In the first episode it seemed like your hue being low is what the therapy program picks up on, and your crime coefficient doesn't really come into play until then. I think people with accepted hues and permanently high crime coefficients are recruited to become enforcers, while people wit low hues and crime coefficients are just killed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Buffis posted:

Episode 4 is out and
I didn't really like it. The whole virtual avatar sub-plot doesn't feel that interesting, and having it span even more episodes sucks a bit.
Not sure where they're going with it, but I hope it ends up as a two-parter and not a long arc. The "bad guys" doesn't seem very interesting so far

He is almost certainly the main antagonist. This episode was the start of the plot.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Black Stones posted:

She was only somewhat useful there, but I'm more talking about when they actually go into the field and hunt down the criminals. It would be great if she became a bit more assertive as the series goes on.

Considering how popped her collar is in the opening I am pretty sure that is a given. It would be criminal to make Akane look kinda like a badass in the OP and then never deliver.

But I guess Madoka's OP did the same thing, so who knows.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Well, I can't really say that I didn't see that coming, but still. The spiral begins.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I was half expecting for her to shoot her friend on accident, but basically doing nothing and being a complete failure is alright in my book too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

HoneyBoy posted:

Jesus, that was pretty good.

I especially like the moral dilemma he set up for Akane, shoot me and you betray your justice system, ethics and societal expectations. She'd save her friend at the cost of going "rogue," according to the Sibyl system. Or, from what we know about her Psycho-Pass maybe it wouldn't have changed at all? She wouldn't betray her own psyche and she would retain her healthy hue so long as she belives she's doing the right thing (saving Yuki's life). There must be some connection between her and Makishima's Psycho-Pass reading.

I thought it was also interesting that one of the reasons she hosed up shooting him is because she couldn't use both hands to aim the shotgun. She couldn't let go of the Dominator, and by effect her connection and reliance on the Sybil system. I liked her confrontation, and I feel like it's a pretty solid foundation for a pretty serious change in her character. I mean, in the OP she looks like a pretty crazy badass and I think we're seeing the root of it here.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's a lot more likely that she's a full body cyborg. We've already seen one so far.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

pandaK posted:

Well we did see Choe Guseong turn and shoot her before he ate it.

The Dominator shot melted the nail he shot at her, and the liquid metal is what melted her skin and clothes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jonjonaug posted:

The director of the show seems to have tweeted about being "sorry" about the quality of episode 18, and that this will be "fixed" (probably means BD version).

Prepare for animation errors.

The hilarious animation gently caress ups are half the reason I watch this show. I had to pause episode 17 because I was laughing so hard at one point.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jonjonaug posted:

OK I really liked the plot developments in this episode, but my god that animation was awful. I'm having Persona 4 anime TV broadcast flashbacks.

It took me about 40 minutes to watch this episode because I kept on having to pause it until I stopped laughing. Every single scene was like episode 17's camera toss. Every single one.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Well, I certainly can't see this ending well for any of the involved parties.

It's good to know that Japan really is future North Korea.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jonjonaug posted:

There are a lot of "greatest things" to happen in this anime. I'm legitimately enjoying the story of the show, but if you're not laughing at all of the ridiculous poo poo in it (Gino's hair, all of the random quoting of various works, the Dominators making people EXPLODE, Shogo being just this fantastic crazy person, Kogami's occasional split second crazy faces, etc.) you have a very poor sense of humor.

You can't forgot Spoooky Booogy. I'm not sure if that's been trumped yet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

As someone who has taken introductory biology courses this entire showdown is boggling my mind. I have no idea how Makishima is going to genetically engineer a new strain of the virus in the next 10 minutes before Kogami kicks his rear end.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Aureon posted:

Uh, they actually explained it. They can turn the kill-"anticorps" on the organism itself. Basically, he's giving all the oats an autoimmune disease, not creating a new virus and making the "antibodies" ignore it.

He literally says that his plan is to make the "sequencer" of the virus target and kill the HYPER OATS instead of the pests. From what I understand, this probably means altering the actual DNA sequence of the virus, and then growing his new version in a massive batch, which I do not think he would be able to do in ten minutes.

e: Holy poo poo I think this is supposed to actually be the system. They grow the virus, and then genetically resequence every single loving one before spraying.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 8, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think the idea is they didn't have confirmation of who / what he was until that point, and they can't monitor every single Dominator that closely all the time. That kind of conflicts with the idea that the serial killer professor knew him from years ago, but maybe he was fully submerged in the group consciousness or they still weren't sure Makishima was asymptomatic or something.

At the time the serial killer professor was in the robot lady body shooting dudes in the basement. I think they just sort of counted on Akane to capture him alive.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I would like a spinoff series about Spooky Boogie farming Hyper Oats.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jonjonaug posted:

New episode is out.

Akane is awesome and oh no Masaoka. :smith:

Things have certainly gotten out of hand for Gino.

Also it's going to suck with Akane or Shinya inevitably dies next episode, along with Kunizuka "I feel like I can trust my life to you" Yayaoi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jonjonaug posted:

I expected her to die like right after saying that.

[spoiler]Yeah, I was shocked when she didn't die immediately upon entering that control room. All of the action seems like it's taking place pretty far away from her, though, but we still have one episode left and god drat is she flying that flag high.[spoiler]

• Locked thread