Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr Pepper posted:

I doubt it. Personally I think it's more likely the show's going to go over the massive flaws with the idea that a person is "predisposed" to crime and show how the system is wrong.

I'd be quite happy with Minority Report: the Anime, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, that was pretty stupid, also the girl's :shepface: face is still horrible and distracting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sarcophallus posted:

If you judged Madoka and Fate/Zero by their first episodes they'd have been pretty lovely too. Fate/Zero especially was even more egregious of an infodump than this first episode.

The infodumps at the start of Fate/Zero also didn't give the vague impression that the main character had turned up for the wrong job.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Al dystopian science fiction is influenced by/homages/rips off either 1984 or Brave New World or, more often than not, both.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Episode 2 was still info-dump overload, but was much less stupid and actually did a good job of showing us more what the world was like instead of having someone stand around telling us.

Also they made it sound like the 'training' she got for the job was just an aptitude test then they dumped her on her first day, which makes her reaction more likely but is still very silly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Giggily posted:

I dunno, it doesn't really seem silly to me. She's basically told to go report in, reports in and is told to go to that crime scene, and then without really being told anything is supposed to do her job because they're so short-staffed.

That's the sort of thing that happens on your first day at Walmart, not a job where you have peoples lives in your hands. However, after thinking about it, considering how controlled society is and how you're simply supposed to do whatever the Sybil system tells you to do, it doesn't seem that unlikely any more.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WickedIcon posted:

You know, I really, really wanted to like this show and there's still a lot of poo poo I love about it, but between the weird pacing and the loving fanservice otaku-pandering doctor (which I'm not sure why I'm so annoyed by) this is getting dangerously close to failing the 3-episode test for me.

Maybe I missed something, but how was the doctor fan-servicey, other than obviously having a pair of boobs?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr_Amazing posted:

This one was kind of weird since it was so obvious. You have the old guy saying "my keen understanding of the criminal mind makes me think that the guy getting the corporate approved abuse might end up lashing out at his coworkers." Then the other guy calling him an idiot and insisting that only the computer can tell them who is a criminal.

It's interesting that apparently bullying and assaulting people clears your psy profile, but being abused makes you a criminal. So far every "criminal" has been driven to it by the social pressure of being labeled a criminal. It's like no one in this universe understands cause and effect.

I also don't really get why they didn't just grab the awkward guy and drag him into the parking lot for a scan. Sending him on a robot rampage seems like a bad move.

Overall I just don't get why anyone did what they did in the episode.

The trouble with this show is that it's trying to showing how bad the system is but it's making it seem so bad that it looks less like a system the was considered 'a good idea' but turned out to have flaws and more something that was deliberately designed to force people into doing horrible poo poo and having horrible poo poo done to them.

Of course, that could end up being the point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cooldude2.0 posted:

And anyways, suddenly she's supposed to learn from history instead of experience?! that completely flies in the face of her "training" up to this point

Pretty sure that was a not-so-subtle hint that she should just go along with with the status quo (history) and not try and figure things out and decide for herself (experience).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dio just keeps popping up all over the place this season.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, I want to like this show, the world is kind of cool, but everyone is so god drat boring. Apart from maybe the old detective guy, but he hasn't done anything for three episodes or something. Also this new (old) serial killer would seem more at home in one of the shittier seasons of Dexter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well yeah, the whole point of that episode was that their current society was fundamentally repressive and removes a large part of what makes us human, our ability for self-determination, hence the thing about lifespans actually getting shorter, humanity is losing the drive to carry on living.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just want Akane to do something, at the moment she's nothing but a sound board so that Kogami isn't sitting around talking to himself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Episode 10 actually had more action than people standing around talking. :psyduck:

Oh and it was stated that the Sybil system actually reads peoples intentions, not just whether they're inclined to do something or not. At least in theory.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 13, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We kind of had that in the first episode though, with the girl being labelled a criminal just because she was highly traumatized.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dr_Amazing posted:

Anyone else kind of rooting for the bad guys at this point? I want to see the system crumble down as well.

I would be if the way they were going about it didn't cost thousands of lives. Though it's an interesting point, in most shows of this type the guys trying to tear down the system would be the heroes, not the antagonists.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kellanved posted:

The last dominator shot was lethal, right? I liked that guy. :(

Yeah. :smith: He could have done with a little more character development before suddenly getting thrust into the limelight this episode though. Not that it really matters any more.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, it was good to see Akane finally start living up to her potential.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can't blame a guy for loving his job.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, that sure was an ending. Sort of.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's better than mediocre but not amazing or anything. The first episode gives a really bad impression because you don't really know how the world works.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would hope they'd be showing the cleaned up bluray version, but it would be hilarious if not the case.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure it's a Visual Novel type thing rather than an actual game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alder posted:

BTW: I read this from the wiki so I'll write it in tags jic Wiki says the rookie is gay (?) and I assume she has a crush on Yayoi? .

That was completely obvious from their two seconds of interaction this episode.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just in case anyone was getting an AI control system confused with Basil Fawlty's wife.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dominators don't actually fire anything, they just cause the microbombs that everyone has implanted inside them to explode. :tinfoil:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VoLaTiLe posted:

I'm already loving Season 2 alot more than the one prior, its already alot more interesting.

And jesus christ did they ever say why with all their technology they had to make dominators so messy/brutal?

Someone asks this pretty much every episode and the only answer anyone has come up with is because they really want to make sure when they pull the trigger someone dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm enjoying season 2, but then I'm not taking it the slightest bit seriously either.

• Locked thread