Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The Blitzkrieg is here, and it is moe.

DAS PLOT
It is the year 20XX. Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan have emerged victorious from the Apocalyptic fires of the second World War, and have begun to put policies in place to create their ideal, Aryan world.

On the mobile re-education camp Oarai, High school girls compete in the martial art of "sensha-do": the use of WWII era tanks in ritual combat. It is an exercise in building feminine grace and nobility. The new transfer student, Miho Nishizumi, comes to the Oarai to avoid sensha-do, after hearing that the "school" had canceled its program due to lack of funding. However, upon her arrival, the student council president (implied to be the moe reincarnation of Adolf Hitler) announces that the program has been restarted and drafts Miho to the cause. With only a few friends and a couple of rickety old tanks, Miho must rebuild the fighting spirit of the "school" before the world sensha-do competition.

DIE CHARACTERS

Miho Nishizumi: a girl who has been sent to the Ooarai for reeducation, on account of her not liking tanks. She attempts to avoid sensha-do, but is drafted by the student council president because of her family's history with the art.

The Student Council President: Literally Hitler. Aided by the reincarnations of Himmler and Goebbels.

There are more characters, but they're cannon fodder and will probably die in the first five minutes of actual combat. Especially those girls in the M3 Lee. All six of them are going to die horribly because the Lee is so lovely- which brings me to a much more important subject...

DAS PANZERS

This is a Panzer IV early model. Renowned for being the workhorse of the Wehrmacht during the early years of WWII, this Panzer is equipped with a snub-nose gun for anti-infantry support. Kinda lovely against other armor. It is the lead tank of the Oarai's sensha-do team, and it's probably going to get more screen time than any other tank.

This is a Panzer 38t. It's actually a Czech tank that was used by the Wehrmacht during the first years of WWII. It's also a somewhat lovely tank.

This hot pink piece of poo poo right here is an M3 Lee, an American tank renowned for exploding when hit with a slight breeze. This massive tank seats six comfortably and has a front-mounted 75mm cannon and a turret mounted 37mm cannon. All the girls in this tank are going to die. Horribly.

This is a Type 89. Like all Japanese tanks of World War II, it has thin armor and is rather useless in armored combat because of its small weapons and poor performance.

This motherfucker right here is a Panzer III STUG. It's not a tank. It's a tank destroyer. That's right, they had to create a whole new category for the STUG because it is just that awesome. Out of all the tanks at Oarai, this is the one that will kick the most rear end. You don't choose the STUG life. It chooses you. And high school girls.

DAS QUESTION UND ANSWER

Isn't this just moe garbage?

Yes. Embrace it.

Is all of that stuff you said about the plot true?

Enough of it.

Where can I find this miracle of nature?

Crunchyroll is streaming it.

What's with all the lovely German you've been writing?

It gets you in the spirit of things. This is, after all, World of Tanks: The Anime.

:siren:ACHTUNG!:siren:

If you watch this show seriously I will laugh at you.

Edit: Also, In case this wasn't clear, the OP is not serious. the show is about girls and tanks. That's about it.

Triggerhappypilot fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
This quite literally sounds like something from the thread where we were imagining up really lovely series. I need to get a drat Crunchyroll account so I can watch this abomination.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Has someone linked this in the World of Tanks thread? It's getting very StuG Lyfe in here.

EDIT: :spergin: time: The Pz38(t)and it's little brother the 35(t) were actually far more capable than equivalent German tanks at the time of the annexation of the Sudeten, which is why the Germans kept Czech factories cranking them out, and they fared quite well in the invasion of France. Eventually the hull did become obsolete, which is why the Germans did the tank destroyer thing and built this adorable little thing

Also regarding the main characters, unless I'm mistaken it's a Panzer 4C.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 10, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well drat, I need to watch this. Is it wrong it I'm more :swoon: over the tanks than the girls, though?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Well drat, I need to watch this. Is it wrong it I'm more :swoon: over the tanks than the girls, though?

It is the only way to watch this show.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

CommissarMega posted:

I would be very disappointed in you if you were more :swoon: over the animated cartoon high school girls than the tanks.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the first episode was pretty terrible. Commie's subs made it even worse. Replacing japanese words for tank and yes with Panzer and Ja is terrible.

I just want some Tank gifs so maybe ill give it the normal 5 episode run.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fauxtool posted:

Commie's subs made it even worse. Replacing japanese words for tank and yes with Panzer and Ja is terrible.

Seriously? This sounds amazing.

DrSunshine posted:

I would be very disappointed in you if you were more :swoon: over the animated cartoon high school girls than the tanks.

I'm just saying that if a moe show is supposed to get me all 'KAWAIII!' over a girl then this show is a failure :colbert:

Won't be able to watch for quite a while- are there any modern tanks here, or is it all WW2 stuff? Wanna see me a Leopard, or a T-34.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommissarMega posted:

Seriously? This sounds amazing.

Its not that great, they are using them wrong and if you dont know what the German sub or Japanese word means you would not know what they are saying. The other subbers did not do this so there is an alternative at least.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Only watched the opening scene and spent the rest of the ep not really paying attention and listening to Sabaton. Works pretty well.

doublegomez
Jun 23, 2010
Is it just me or did that first episode feel like it just sorta happened and nothing of substance occurred because to be honest, this feels like the writers took a Mad Lib designed for making a high school show and replaced every noun with either "tank" or "girl" and this was the end result. It's just lifeless.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
WWII tanks are obviously ideal for demonstrating femininity. http://mangafox.me/manga/otto_carius_doromamire_no_tora/ How graceful and elegant!

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
That opening scene was pretty sweet, but the stuff after that almost put me in a coma also a town created on a giant supercarrier? bwuuuuuh?!

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Biggie Shorty posted:

That opening scene was pretty sweet, but the stuff after that almost put me in a coma also a town created on a giant supercarrier? bwuuuuuh?!

:pseudo: A mobile reeducation camp!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So, uh, the premise of WW2 lasting for decades and decades until finally the Reich and Imperial Japan won sounds kind of interesting. Was there never an atomic bomb in this history? This concept is wasted on moe.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
For those who don't know, there are in fact 2 ( ZWO ) mangas for this series. One has even younger girls then the other....
The first 2 chapters got scantlated. They are all equally stupid.

This series has past beyond all ordinary stupid and become a strange kind of good.

I watched commie sub... oh god the random German inserts make everything seem even stupider.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Exactly how is a fascist reeducation camp compatible with moe, anyway?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Lotish posted:

So, uh, the premise of WW2 lasting for decades and decades until finally the Reich and Imperial Japan won sounds kind of interesting. Was there never an atomic bomb in this history? This concept is wasted on moe.

I may have slightly exaggerated the premise of the show in order to rationalize it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show/thread are going to produce something special, I haveIch habe high hopes.

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon
The show was a pain for me to watch having driven Bradly's and Abrams, it's representation of tanks is just so loving unrealistic and idealized.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TPSDude posted:

The show was a pain for me to watch having driven Bradly's and Abrams, it's representation of tanks is just so loving unrealistic and idealized.

At least their approach to both girls and tanks is consistent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TPSDude posted:

I'm not going to actually watch this show, but odds are the tanks are basically oversized model kits stuffed with moe. The target audience doesn't care if they are realistic.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's a pity. If they had a realistic depiction of armoured combat I'd watch it in a heartbeat, moe or no moe.

The dissonance would actually be funny like they're hoping it is.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Serious Frolicking posted:

Exactly how is a fascist reeducation camp compatible with moe, anyway?

Clearly you have not been watching enough anime if this is your prime complaint. Anything and everything can become Moe.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
ARBEIT MACHT UGUU~

I have to watch this because i hate my free time and this is too insane to ignore.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
World of tanks fan here, doesn't really matter to me if it's just K-On -music +tanks so long as the tank combat, even if World of Tanks arcade levels of idealism forms a non trivial portion of the screentime.

Stug is pretty awesome and agreed that the Czech tanks are actually better than they seem. That Matilda though should be able to largely murderize their entire team; its heavily armored for its time and the gun is no slouch. The Churchills(iirc?) though aren't as formidable.

If their strategy in the opening bit is to lure in that formation into narrower canyons where they can get in close enough to pierce its armor, or have them advance on the stug one at a time without being able to flank it they should be fine.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
All of these wonderful ideas we gave Japan, and they go with the one dumber than all the ones we proposed! The nerve!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I sure hope this show can take the title of "Best Anime From The Past 3 Years Featuring Rag-Tag Group Of Moe Girls Doing poo poo With Tanks" from Sora-no-Woto!

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Raenir Salazar posted:

That Matilda though should be able to largely murderize their entire team; its heavily armored for its time and the gun is no slouch. The Churchills(iirc?) though aren't as formidable.

You've got them mixed up; the Churchill Mark 6 is extremely heavily armored. However, the 75mm gun it's mounting is more of an anti infantry weapon designed to sling HE rounds.. The 4 Matilda meanwhile, are mounting 40mm guns. But yeah; the odds are kinda stacked in the favor of the British tanks if we're considering Armour, as only the StuG III and possibly the Lee are going to have good performance against them with AP rounds.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It doesn't feature the best tank in all anime so I am sceptical about the show.

I WANT MY SENTIENT TANKS GODDAMIT.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 11, 2012

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
For what it's worth, the official website does seem to have a Type 10 so I guess they've just gone two generations past your beloved?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gently caress that, a tank isn't worth being in anime if it's not chasing mice around. (Those Who Hunt Elves is the best worst show ever.)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is pretty much completely awful, and not in a good way.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Haven't watched this yet, but I guess my hopes are dashed for them showing how breakdown prone these WW2 tanks were. I want them to drink tea and eat cake after a hard day of tearing down and rebuilding a tank engine.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ep2 is subbed, commie added a second track where their lovely attempt at adding german is removed.

The show is picking up a little bit, but still terrible.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Crunchyroll is streaming this show, and releases new episodes on Wednesday . You probably shouldn't talk about other subs.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont normally post here, can you point me at the rules regarding that?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well, I was going to send you to the rules thread, but it isn't in there. Basically, if it's licensed and/or available from somewhere (in this case Crunchyroll) then you have no reason to pirate the show and should watch it wherever it is available. If it isn't, then go hog wild!

An example of a recent warning from Zorak that you shouldn't pirate!

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

The die is cast? Cross the Rubicon? What is this, historical figures reincarnated in future Japan and dueling in tanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Everything I've seen so far confirms that this is indeed a mobile re-education camp.
I mean, where else would you have a store exclusively dedicated to Panzer and Panzer Accessories?

Also, It's good to see that the crew of the M3 Lee are completely clueless. They are going to die.

• Locked thread