Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Space Flower posted:

if you didnt see the Anzio OVA watch that.

Honestly the Anzio OVA is the best "episode" of the series. Seriously feels like they just cut it right out of the original run to sell individually cuz they knew it was so dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah the Anzio episode is amazing and made the Italians my favorite rival team. They just want to party!

Jintor
May 19, 2014

also their tiny baby tanks are just adorable!

/edit actually watching their part in the battle all I could think about was Robot Wars

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So about the inflatable tank shells here: http://hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?Make...&SeriesID2=5515

Am I wrong or do those come with decals for models? My friend and I might get a couple

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Why do all the finngirls have boys names? Was googling too much effort?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
They're soul names. They can be anything they want them to be.

Orange Pekoe, Kaiser, Anchovy, etc aren't exactly girl names either.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I don't know if it was an :effort: thing or not but the set piece fight with no music, incomplete/inaudible dialogue, and just engines, tracks, and gun sounds was something I didn't expect coming from the series. It was good. It made me forget that it was a set piece fight with tanks. That twist near the end of it fit the series very well, though.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
they just know their audience want good tank sounds

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
oh good then :yeah: 100%

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chill la Chill posted:

So about the inflatable tank shells here: http://hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?Make...&SeriesID2=5515

Am I wrong or do those come with decals for models? My friend and I might get a couple

probably, i would only expect them in the ones that actually show the decal sheet

The Pz.Kpfw.IV D shell comes with a sheet that looks exactly the same as the Pz.Kpfw.IV D GuP branded tank kit I bought

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 31, 2016

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Good dog.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Also, Momo's gunnery seems to have become even worse, to the point where she somehow actively breaks physics to make the shells leave the barrel sideways. During the first match she manages to dunk a shell into the ocean at an angle outside of the Hetzer's horizontal gun traverse while aiming a Darjeeling. :allears:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
That was beautiful, I was so afraid it wouldn't live up to the Anzio OVA but I had nothing to worry about. I can't help but feel sad that I've finally watched it, though.

The new characters were great too. Especially Rose Hip.

Zettace posted:

They're soul names. They can be anything they want them to be.

Most of them are actually their names; it's only the history team that has soul names, and Anchovy is just a nickname.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

HerraS posted:

Why do all the finngirls have boys names? Was googling too much effort?

they all sound like japanese girl names.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Desuwa posted:

That was beautiful, I was so afraid it wouldn't live up to the Anzio OVA but I had nothing to worry about. I can't help but feel sad that I've finally watched it, though.

Most of them are actually their names; it's only the history team that has soul names, and Anchovy is just a nickname.
There was also "Hina = Carpaccio".

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Desuwa posted:

No, not really. Even Nona is a soul name as mentioned in one of director commentaries iirc. She's actually 100% Japanese as are the majority of characters in this show, except for Clara who is a foreign exchange student.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zettace posted:

No, not really. Even Nona is a soul name as mentioned in one of director commentaries iirc. She's actually 100% Japanese as are the majority of characters in this show, except for Clara who is a foreign exchange student.

Speaking of this, if I am not confusing the names, Clara's Russian is perfect while Nona has a clear accent. (So they did a good job with VA there).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Speaking of this, if I am not confusing the names, Clara's Russian is perfect while Nona has a clear accent. (So they did a good job with VA there).

clara's va is a russian woman
http://myanimelist.net/people/9673/Jenya_Davidyuk
nonna's va meanwhile is a known russophile who studied russian in college
http://myanimelist.net/people/14441/Sumire_Uesaka

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Zettace posted:

Why do you need to crush my dreams.

Though I thought it was always known that they were all Japanese.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fauxtool posted:

probably, i would only expect them in the ones that actually show the decal sheet

The Pz.Kpfw.IV D shell comes with a sheet that looks exactly the same as the Pz.Kpfw.IV D GuP branded tank kit I bought

Oh neat. So I could essentially get a normal tank kit plus decals and the inflatable shell for the same cost as a GUP tank kit?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i highly suggest not getting a gup tank set as its just a normal one with a sticker thrown in, like most don't even have little figures of the girls to put in, just the normal guys you get with other tank sets

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, they're just rebranded and marked up. They're not even good tank kits.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Davincie posted:

clara's va is a russian woman
http://myanimelist.net/people/9673/Jenya_Davidyuk
nonna's va meanwhile is a known russophile who studied russian in college
http://myanimelist.net/people/14441/Sumire_Uesaka

i love love love whenever shows bother to get the language stuff right.

my pet peeve is characters who are fluent in a language but the VAs clearly are not. shoutouts to genshiken :(

i mean, yeah, I get it. poo poo's hard to find sometimes and your choices are limited. By by god it's so good when it's done right!

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I have a feeling Nona was written for Sumire. She and the GuP staff did a couple of radio shows focusing on the military and production side of the show so she had a larger role in the series than most of the other VAs.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 2, 2016

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Desuwa posted:

I've seen someone ask why Rose Hip is using a Crusader despite St. Gloriana having access to (even faster) Cromwells and Comets. I imagine it's because... well, if you look at the current sample of two matches and what she's done to that poor Crusader, would you want to give her a bigger, faster and more expensive tank? :haw:

(Also, she rigged a war emergency power setting for the Crusader that allows her to disengage the engine governor on the fly. Because of course she did.)

Magni fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 4, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Davincie posted:

i highly suggest not getting a gup tank set as its just a normal one with a sticker thrown in, like most don't even have little figures of the girls to put in, just the normal guys you get with other tank sets

Thanks, that's what I mean. For the extra cost of them, you might as well get an inflatable balloon with it. I'm guessing it's the same with the 1/700 battleship models for Arpeggio of Blue Steel, but that one seems to have prices in line with typical 1/700 models.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
What a fun movie. I really can't say anything bad about it. The fights were excellent, the set pieces were great, the new characters were fun, and it was just a great experience all around.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

gonna watch the movie ova tonight and then rewatch the entire series i guess?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kanos posted:

What a fun movie. I really can't say anything bad about it. The fights were excellent, the set pieces were great, the new characters were fun, and it was just a great experience all around.

I loved the moment when the 30-tank Owarai team was assembling. It was a lot of fun seeing the dream team work together. And the ducks were hilarious.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Desuwa posted:

nice namepost.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

well i rewatched all of GuP and the Anzio and read the 4koma and the Motto Motto Love spinoffs and I'm probably going to rewatch the movie again?!?!?

the only downside was restarting the experience meant the CG really sucked at the beginning and the dramatic action shots weren't as dramatic as, well, the super expensive movie which I will probably rewatch and then put away so I can do those other things I need to do

man this franchise is good. If i had more time I would seriously consider getting a model kit or something.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Is the mystery OP cat ever explained in the side works?

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i dunno about that cat specifically, but mako gets a lot of cat comparisons.

duce anchovy also has a total plain girl disguise which I think is hilarious

anyway i rewatched the movie just to wrap up my GuP binge and I realised a few things from that first match:

- The japanese newbie picks up the ambush techniques because Duck team gets her to help out ambushing a Matilda
- Momo's aim is so atrocious that instead of hitting the two targets (Gloriana's flag tank and Katyusha) directly in front of her she shoots 45 degrees off-angle and accidentally blasts Rosehip's crusader out of the air for her first kill EVER
- Katyusha deliberately uses herself to block Anglerfish's killshot which would've taken out the flag tank.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The movie really sold me on this series im gonna watch it all now

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are subs out for the movie?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
There's been subs out for the movie for like a week at least.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The movie really sold me on this series im gonna watch it all now

The series is really good, though the fights aren't as crazy and spectacular as the movie. Someone summed it up by describing the series as a sports anime with tanks while Der Film is more like a Wuxia movie with tanks.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I watched der film, and it was alright. The battles were good, the new characters were good, I just wish there was more character time. I want to see more of Klara and continuation, or how Anchovy and Darjeeling interact with each other. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait until season 2 for that

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I watched der film, and it was alright. The battles were good, the new characters were good, I just wish there was more character time. I want to see more of Klara and continuation, or how Anchovy and Darjeeling interact with each other. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait until season 2 for that

As I watched more of the film, I became increasingly cool with the Continuation team just being really loving weird, inexplicable, and badass. I feel that their presence should be kept to a minimum from now onwards to preserve that air of mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

As I watched more of the film, I became increasingly cool with the Continuation team just being really loving weird, inexplicable, and badass. I feel that their presence should be kept to a minimum from now onwards to preserve that air of mystery.

Given the they're Finland, their whole shtick should be clowning people who would underestimate them through off-the-wall tactics and risky maneuvers. Kinda like Oorai actually.

• Locked thread