Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Their sourdough crackers are great for using up discard too.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-crackers-recipe

I make 'em with everything bagel seasoning on top.

The crackers are indeed amazing; I branched out into pancakes because I didn’t want to overdo it on the crackers.

Next up, biscuits :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I just made those crackers with everything seasoning and they were like better cheezits

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Hi all, I'm terrible at kneading and forming which I'm trying to work on. If you form your dough into a boule, how long should it try to stay ball shaped?

Whenever I try to make a decent tight bank I end up with something that flattens out to an inch high thick pancake shape after a while on the board or after I pull it out of a metal ball I proof in. It seems when I try to shape the outside gets tight and then breaks open to reveal the sticky inside parts, and when I pull it out of the bowl it's forgotten the tight structure on the outside.

Generally I do the KA sourdough no knead with 10-15% rye, but it's happened a few times with other recipes

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Nanpa posted:

Hi all, I'm terrible at kneading and forming which I'm trying to work on. If you form your dough into a boule, how long should it try to stay ball shaped?

Whenever I try to make a decent tight bank I end up with something that flattens out to an inch high thick pancake shape after a while on the board or after I pull it out of a metal ball I proof in. It seems when I try to shape the outside gets tight and then breaks open to reveal the sticky inside parts, and when I pull it out of the bowl it's forgotten the tight structure on the outside.

Generally I do the KA sourdough no knead with 10-15% rye, but it's happened a few times with other recipes

in my pretty limited experience, rye is really tough to work with

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

100% rye is great for no kneed, you don't kneed it really. 5% is easy too, you just ignore it exists and get some rye tang.

15% is fuckikg hard, especially with a no kneed. You'll need to introduce at least stretch and folds and preferably do a huge autolyse without yeast.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I had a lot of trouble with pancaking no-kneads until I introduced some stretch-and-folds. Super easy, and you can see the gluten structure set up the more you do it.

The other thing that helped was my sourdough starter aging. It has become a bouncy resilient texture and whenever I add it to dough it helps get the rest of the gluten in line quicker. (Ice gluten-9)

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

loving hell, that's exactly the problem I've been having all of a sudden and oh hey would you look at that, my starter was switched over to using rye around the same time. :negative:

How long have you all been autolyzing for? At room temp I've tried one one-half and two hours with half hour stretch and folds. The gluten seems to develop just fine in the first hour but always fails me when it hits the board half an hour later. Getting it out too late? Too early? Getting it out at an hour seems premature and past 2 makes me think it'll just levain itself.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Any tips for rolling out the sourdough crackers? Taking my second shot at them with feta and jalapeno.

They are delicious, but I have to watch the pan like a hawk because they cook so unevenly. Recipe called for a 10-15 minute bake and I'm like 25 minutes in with batch one, rescuing individual crackers as they hit the sweet spot.

I'm thinking maybe adding more water next time (or just more starter and no extra flour) so the dough is basically spreadable.

Kalsco posted:

loving hell, that's exactly the problem I've been having all of a sudden and oh hey would you look at that, my starter was switched over to using rye around the same time. :negative:

How long have you all been autolyzing for? At room temp I've tried one one-half and two hours with half hour stretch and folds. The gluten seems to develop just fine in the first hour but always fails me when it hits the board half an hour later. Getting it out too late? Too early? Getting it out at an hour seems premature and past 2 makes me think it'll just levain itself.

I autolyse for two hours before even introducing the starter. Then starter. Then salt. Then stretch and folds for 2-3 hours then a 2-hour bulk ferment.

It can still flatten on you even with a good shaping. Maybe knock down the hydration a bit?

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 7, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chad Sexington posted:

Any tips for rolling out the sourdough crackers? Taking my second shot at them with feta and jalapeno.

If you have a pasta maker, it is genius for rolling out the crackers.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

I have a rolling pin that has spacers you can fit to the sides. I just put the 16th of an inch ones on and go to town.

That said, I score the dough with lines with a knife but don't break it into individual crackers until after it's baked. While they are still warm I cut through the last bit with a very sharp knife for a nice clean edge. The outer edges are more done but eh, a little variety in flavor isn't a bad thing and most of it is pretty even.

Fresh thyme and sage from the garden, dried in the oven for a few minutes before mixing into the dough, with a sprinkle of malden sea salt is my favorite so far.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've been feeding my sourdough starter with plain/all-purpose flour but just got some rye flour. Can I/should I just switch to that for feedings? Does there need to be a transition?

And I believe when I make bread I should combine rye and bread flour rather than rye exclusively?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I wouldn't bother to switch, it could hurt the starter. And I would recommend combining rye with wheat flour, yeah. You can go full rye but maybe wait until you've got a bit more confidence in your starter. Theres a reason we settled on Wheat, Rye breads tend to be dense.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Sometimes I like to add a tablespoon or so of rye in when I feed the starter for a turbo boost, but there's no need to switch over to rye as a starter unless you plan to make mostly rye breads all the time. (If you wanted to switch, you'd gradually transition, yes.)

All rye, all the time, is not a great plan unless you are super into rye breads. Wheat4lfye

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Murgos posted:

I have a rolling pin that has spacers you can fit to the sides. I just put the 16th of an inch ones on and go to town.

That said, I score the dough with lines with a knife but don't break it into individual crackers until after it's baked. While they are still warm I cut through the last bit with a very sharp knife for a nice clean edge. The outer edges are more done but eh, a little variety in flavor isn't a bad thing and most of it is pretty even.

Fresh thyme and sage from the garden, dried in the oven for a few minutes before mixing into the dough, with a sprinkle of malden sea salt is my favorite so far.

Interesting, I'll look into one of those.

My edge crackers turn out great, but the middle are either slightly underdone and chewy or a bit over and too crunchy. I think they just need to be thinner.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
tossed my sourdough starter. it was really good for a couple days then just got boozey as hell. going with the pineapple method this time

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Im thinking of making a 1-2-3 loaf soon. Im thinking 150g starter, 315g water and 450g flour but Im also thinking of adding some roasted peppers and some pepperjack cheese to it. The only thing is, I dont know how much to add of each (I know the Tartine rule of 2% of your bakers percentage of flour is salt, but I dont know about add-ins maybe 10% of each? Im thinking maybe 100g cheese and 1 whole roasted poblano diced), and I dont know whether to add the cheese in the dough as shredded or as cubes. I think shredded, it will just break up into the dough and I might not get much flavor out of it overall, but with cubes Im thinking since Im making it a loaf, it will be something where when you cut a slice, you end up cutting out the cube and it falls out anyway.

And while Im asking, does anyone have recommendations for pullman pans/sizes? Im thinking about getting one, but I know they come in all sizes. Ive seen some on Amazon but not all of them have lids.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 10, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got a sourdough starter up and running, is it meant to smell like uncanny valley yoghurt and a slight hint of vinegar? I also woke up this morning to feed it and noticed a little bit of fuzzy mould near the opening of the jar, so I wiped it off with a clean finger and then scraped off the underlying black mould. Am I good to keep using this starter or will I die of bubonic plague or botulism. I think the mould grew there cause a bit of starter had touched the top and then been left.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Qubee posted:

I've got a sourdough starter up and running, is it meant to smell like uncanny valley yoghurt and a slight hint of vinegar? I also woke up this morning to feed it and noticed a little bit of fuzzy mould near the opening of the jar, so I wiped it off with a clean finger and then scraped off the underlying black mould. Am I good to keep using this starter or will I die of bubonic plague or botulism. I think the mould grew there cause a bit of starter had touched the top and then been left.

Don't feel I'm much on an authority, was the mold just on the rim, not the starter itself? I'd say be wary at least, but might be okay if it's just on what's collection on the rim of the jar.

I got some rye flour so did my first loaf using it. Just swapped 20% of the bread flour for it, and added some to my starter earlier in the day. It's definitely my best yet, much more of the depth of flavour I associate with sourdough. I think the hydration was a little low so I'll bump that up next time. Does 20% rye and 80% bread flour sound right?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

To prevent any chance of mold feed your starter in one container and pour it into a clean one. Keeps crud from building up around the rim.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

I got some rye flour so did my first loaf using it. Just swapped 20% of the bread flour for it, and added some to my starter earlier in the day. It's definitely my best yet, much more of the depth of flavour I associate with sourdough. I think the hydration was a little low so I'll bump that up next time. Does 20% rye and 80% bread flour sound right?

I think it depends on the rye flour. I used to get some "light rye" where I could go like 50/50, but I've got whole-kernel rye now and do ~15%. So 20% could be about right; often the rye can lead to stickiness or difficulty handling the dough, but I don't have enough experience with rye fractions to really say when that starts becoming a problem.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've been pushing the hydration of my sourdoughs after seeing people credit it with improving their loaves. And it's worked for the most part, but I overdid it and when tipping my most recent attempt from the proving basket it spilled all across the baking tray.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've been pushing the hydration of my sourdoughs after seeing people credit it with improving their loaves. And it's worked for the most part, but I overdid it and when tipping my most recent attempt from the proving basket it spilled all across the baking tray.

I've actually gone the opposite direction. I've cut my hydration back by about 15% to get firmer loaves and I've noticed much better oven spring.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I made these scones this morning and they were absolute fire emoji. Only actually baked half of them, but I think the ones coming out of the freezer will be even better since the butter won't have time to melt off.

After baking bread all summer, it almost feels like cheating to bake a thing with so much butter, sugar and heavy cream.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Scones are so good.
Place I used to work we made bacon and gouda scones and they were the poo poo.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Who else has been baking artisinal breads so much that they overstuff loaf pans when the occasion comes up? I could saw them off at the tops of the pans and have pretty decent hearth breads--minus the bottom crust. There's more bread above and outside the pan that inside the pan.

Mental note: I need to halve the recipe, not double it for a loaf pan.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to improve the structure of my sandwich bread so it's more robust for sandwiches. My problem is that the slices tend to be very fluffy. This is great for just shoving in my face, but they don't hold up for a sandwich. I'm thinking there are some matters of technique I can apply before getting into a different recipe altogether.

I normally shape my loaves by stretching and tucking the dough up into its bottom. This is probably fine for a block of artisan bread, but for a loaf pan with a longer direction, I'm guessing I should do a bunch of stretch and fold lengthwise. Anything else/different? I have some dough rising so I'll be trying this later today.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Tension the dough like you would do for a boule then flatten it a bit and roll it into a log.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Shaping will help as stayed above. If you can't get it sturdier that way, try adding some Vital Wheat Gluten to the next batch of dough.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hopefully I won't normally need a gluten addition because I generally use a conventional bread flour. However, this time I'm using some new hipster flour, so typical performance goes out the window. My rule of thumb for these flours has been to halve the kneading time in the mixer. It felt about right. So hopefully I'm good with my gluten.

It only occurred to me this week that maybe shoving the dough back into its butt over and over doesn't make a robust loaf, but I tend to be doing smaller rolls.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Also playing with tension this week. Normally I do about six stretch and folds with my sourdough, then do a bench preshape, then shape again, usually folding and then rolling it up and pinching the seam before dropping in the banneton.

I wondered if the shaping wasn't costing me some volume, so this time I just dumped it from the bowl into the banneton after bulk fermentation with no shaping at all. It was definitely much beefier coming out of the fridge this morning and baked into a more sizable loaf than I've gotten lately, both in height and girth.

Think I may stick with this method.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

To prevent any chance of mold feed your starter in one container and pour it into a clean one. Keeps crud from building up around the rim.

This really doesn't need to happen every feeding to prevent mold. I swap to a new jar once every month or two at the first sign of fuzz on the sides. Don't make your daily feeding process any more complicated than it needs to be, imo.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I made the King Arthur sourdough waffles and I'm the hero of the house today. They were extremely tasty

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
New sourdough starter was going really well. I started with the pineapple juice method. I'm up to feeding it 1-2x per day. i switched to 80% white flour yesterday and this morning it smells so boozy. It's not a heavy yeast smell like yesterday. I don't think this is quite right.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Probably not a big deal. The yeast got excited about the new food and celebrated by getting very drunk. You can feed more often and/or discard more before feeding, retard the yeast by lowering the temp (typically by sticking it in the fridge), or go back to the old feeding regime.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah just stir it and keep feeding it. Smelling boozy now and again isn’t the end of the world.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’ve definitely abused the gently caress out of my starter and it keeps on trucking.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I mean... it is literally booze that the yeast is producing, so.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Made my best loaf ever this week

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dacap fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 21, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Goddamn that crust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn that crust.

It was a combo of a long cold proof with very little flour in the banneton, some ice thrown into the hot Dutch oven, and spritzing the loaf with water right before baking.