Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

redreader posted:

I bought the https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/items/harvest-grains-blend-3-lb and added half a cup to my most recent no-knead bread. Holy poo poo it's good.
KA bread topper: rubbish.
KA Harvest grains blend: Amazing!

I've been using this a lot lately too. Here's their Harvest Grains Bread recipe I use. This is also good to shape the dough into buns for grilled chicken sandwiches instead of making a whole sandwich loaf. Make sure to egg wash the tops and sprinkle more harvest grains on there for looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Baking steel lands tomorrow.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Malefitz posted:

Decided to try something new today. Vinschgauer or Vinschgerl from South Tyrol..

Thanks for the inspiration!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
those look great

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

beerinator posted:

I've been using this a lot lately too. Here's their Harvest Grains Bread recipe I use. This is also good to shape the dough into buns for grilled chicken sandwiches instead of making a whole sandwich loaf. Make sure to egg wash the tops and sprinkle more harvest grains on there for looks.

I want to try that. I don't have the helper thing though, and it looks like a great ingredient to use. I like using wheat in my recipes but it makes the bread sort of sink a lot. I am trying to get larger loaves. Even if I use a normal loaf pan for the king arthur no-knead bread and put in half of the recipe it never comes out looking like that with the big overflow bit coming out of the pan. I should try more recipes....

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

redreader posted:

I want to try that. I don't have the helper thing though, and it looks like a great ingredient to use. I like using wheat in my recipes but it makes the bread sort of sink a lot. I am trying to get larger loaves. Even if I use a normal loaf pan for the king arthur no-knead bread and put in half of the recipe it never comes out looking like that with the big overflow bit coming out of the pan. I should try more recipes....

the relevant parts of the dough improver are just wheat gluten and vitamin c fwiw, which add structure and workability to your doughs

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I made some bagels. Finally got me some malted barley syrup and also did the roll-around-your-hand shaping instead of punching a hole. Came out great, at least taste-wise - I could use some work on the shaping for sure.

Crumb shot

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

blixa posted:

I made some bagels. Finally got me some malted barley syrup and also did the roll-around-your-hand shaping instead of punching a hole. Came out great, at least taste-wise - I could use some work on the shaping for sure.

Crumb shot

Those look amazing. :tipshat:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
A wonky-rear end bagel hole is a sign of trust and quality IMO.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Oh, hey. I finally got a version of my pain de campagne that I think looks pretty decent:

I mean, lookit dat rear end.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

good bagels and good bread looks y'all

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I AM TRYING TO MAKE SOURDOUGH I MIXED 100 GRAMS OF RYE WHEAT AND 100 GRAMS OF LUKE WARM WATER JUST LIKE THE BOOK I HAVE SAID IT IS GOING TO TURN INTO BREAD AND I WILL BAKE IT AND EAT IT

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
hell yeah dude

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I was a bit fed up with controlling the temperature of my starters and doughs using the oven light technique so I was looking for alternatives.
I found out that a heat mat and thermostat can be bought super cheap so I built my own dough incubator!

The thermostat comes with a small probe which can be put in a box and can be set to a temperature between 20°C (68°F) and 42°C (108°F). The temperature control works well enough, roughly +-1°C.
I've used this setup for a week now and it's such a quality of life change. I have way better control over my sourdoughs. There are some rather complicated ways to make rye sourdough where you need full control over the temperature in multiple phases and before I had this setup I didn't even think about ever trying these.
But I don't only use it for refreshing starter or making sourdough, I put the whole dough in there for bulk fermentation and proofing to better maintain the correct dough temperature. It works great so far!

The setup cost me 50€, 33€ for the thermostat + heat mat and 17€ for the thermobox.
You can also find this cheaper, especially the thermobox. I guess you can easily get this setup for 35€ - 40€ total.

Obligatory result pictures with this new setup, this is my current go-to bread I'm baking most often, roughly half-half rye and wheat with rye sourdough and some added liquid malt for color.

I think I have never managed to get such a rise from this bread!
Will cut it open tomorrow, hope it looks as great from the inside as from the outside.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The heat pad interests me in contrast to say an incandescent light bulb. I have a PID to use but don't really have a place for a large proofing chamber.

Obviously you've had to padd the vessel from direct contact, but how off does it get? I've wanted to get one for winter kombucha and bread but have read the former does run too hot with direct contact and don't know how I'd do towels with a 3 gallon open top vessel with confidence it will be stable.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Panasonic SD-2511 has a internal heating element and settings just for mixing and rising multiple types of bread, including sourdough - it also has a setting for kicking off sourdough starters.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Malefitz posted:

The setup cost me 50€, 33€ for the thermostat + heat mat and 17€ for the thermobox.
You can also find this cheaper, especially the thermobox. I guess you can easily get this setup for 35€ - 40€ total.

I need links for this, can you help a fellow bread goon out?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The heat pad interests me in contrast to say an incandescent light bulb. I have a PID to use but don't really have a place for a large proofing chamber.

Obviously you've had to padd the vessel from direct contact, but how off does it get? I've wanted to get one for winter kombucha and bread but have read the former does run too hot with direct contact and don't know how I'd do towels with a 3 gallon open top vessel with confidence it will be stable.

I did a test with a glass of water on a dry dish towel like the one you see in the picture.
I compared the readings of the thermostat thermometer, of a normal air thermometer I put in there as additional control and of my dough thermometer put into the glass of water. They where all within about 0.2°C of each other.
Whenever I check the dough temperature it matches the temperature readout of the thermostat up to about 0.2°C even at the bottom of the jar.
You need to consider though that the actual temperature does often deviate from the set temperature of the thermostat by up to 1°C, the controller in the thermostat I bought isn't all that precise.

I'm not sure how sensitive kombucha is but if it can deal with +-1°C deviations I'd say this setup works fine.

Keetron posted:

I need links for this, can you help a fellow bread goon out?

I bought it on amazon.de, here are the links:
Thermostat
Thermobox

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Used my whole wheat sourdough discard to replace the whole wheat and some of the AP in this King Arthur dinner roll recipe. Also used flax meal instead of wheat germ and only a half teaspoon of yeast.

The dough was sticky as hell but the result was worth it! Especially since I didn't knead them. I love just leaving the dough alone and coming back to it whenever.

effika fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 19, 2021

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

usa pan make more 9x4x4 pullmans with lids already drat it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chard posted:

usa pan make more 9x4x4 pullmans with lids already drat it

i mean it's silly that they're more expensive, but

https://amzn.to/32thFa7

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I got one recently and I love it, but I’ve found it harder to find recipes as most seem to be scaled for 13 inch.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dacap posted:

I got one recently and I love it, but I’ve found it harder to find recipes as most seem to be scaled for 13 inch.

you should be working with weighted recipes. in that case you can figure out the volume and scale accordingly.

the 9-inch pan contains approximately 69% of the volume of the 13-inch pan. thus, you can scale your dough to approximately 69% of the size and should get an equivalent result. i inevitably use more flour than most 13-inch recipes call for but i find many of them complain about shrinkage too, which i don't seem to have a problem with. fwiw i use approx ~800g of flour for a 13-inch loaf at roughly 65-70% hydration.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Yeah but I’m lazy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dacap posted:

Yeah but I’m lazy

then why are you baking your own bread

don't have much pity for someone who can't bother hitting *.7 on all their recipe amts

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I’m joking around, I do appreciate the calculation percent. I’ve been using a recipe on FoodGeek that has a calculator based on dimensions built in and it’s been working well.

Today I had the struggle of trying to shape this mess:

Got it to here with some effort, not perfect but hopefully will bake ok

Dacap fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 20, 2021

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Dacap posted:

Hey good job in getting this gooey mess into shape!
Would you mind sharing results and a recipe?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dacap posted:

I’m joking around, I do appreciate the calculation percent. I’ve been using a recipe on FoodGeek that has a calculator based on dimensions built in and it’s been working well.

both look dope!!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Malefitz posted:

Hey good job in getting this gooey mess into shape!
Would you mind sharing results and a recipe?

I was just trying to write what the recipe was that I used, and I just realized I forgot to add salt! FUCCCCCK

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dacap posted:

How do you even shape something like that? I’ve never been able to get past the point where I go “ah gently caress it let’s see if the banneton and fridge will help it hold shape tomorrow,” which clearly never works.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Well, because I forgot to add salt, it didn’t end up holding shape and was an inedible sponge that went straight in the trash :(

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does anyone have any numbers on how much water weight a loaf loses during the bake?

If I remember I'll weigh output next time.

Edit:

bolind posted:

Baking steel lands tomorrow.

I forgot all about this. Anyone care about some pics and a writeup?

bolind fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 21, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Always!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bolind posted:

Does anyone have any numbers on how much water weight a loaf loses during the bake?

If I remember I'll weigh output next time.

Edit:

I forgot all about this. Anyone care about some pics and a writeup?

i have it written down somewhere, not that it helps now. but it's going to depend to some extent on the kind of bread you bake - some hang on to water more, some you cook to a higher temperature, which will drive off more water, etc.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

i have it written down somewhere, not that it helps now. but it's going to depend to some extent on the kind of bread you bake - some hang on to water more, some you cook to a higher temperature, which will drive off more water, etc.

I found a thread somewhere (will link later as I’m on phone) that had measurements in the 10-20% range.

Another interesting experiment would be to deliberately let a loaf dry out and see how much moisture is lost in the process.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

Surely if you weigh the dough before baking and the bread after, the difference is the water that gets baked off?

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Made focaccia

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Surely if you weigh the dough before baking and the bread after, the difference is the water that gets baked off?

yes?

the point is that not all breads will end up with the same final hydration level so there isn't going to be one answer that works across all breads

bolind posted:

I found a thread somewhere (will link later as I’m on phone) that had measurements in the 10-20% range.

Another interesting experiment would be to deliberately let a loaf dry out and see how much moisture is lost in the process.

yeah seems good. 10% seems a little low, even, but that might just be bad gut feelings.

even a relatively dry loaf probably has a surprising amount of water in it but i agree

horchata posted:

Made focaccia

baller

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

yes?

the point is that not all breads will end up with the same final hydration level so there isn't going to be one answer that works across all breads

yeah seems good. 10% seems a little low, even, but that might just be bad gut feelings.

even a relatively dry loaf probably has a surprising amount of water in it but i agree

baller

Simmer down, sarky pants. I agree that it will vary from bread to bread. That’s why one should weigh it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Simmer down, sarky pants. I agree that it will vary from bread to bread. That’s why one should weigh it!

yes. i mean, obviously. i just didn't get your response, as i was pointing out there isn't one number for all bread, that's all.