Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Turned the rest of it into a pan pizza which was also good

Speaking of pizzas, since it's dough-related, how the hell do people manage to "spin" their pizzas flat without using a rolling pin? I've never been able to do it, and I'm unsure whether it's a matter of proper technique or just a matter of my lacking the appropriate manual dexterity to make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Speaking of pizzas, since it's dough-related, how the hell do people manage to "spin" their pizzas flat without using a rolling pin? I've never been able to do it, and I'm unsure whether it's a matter of proper technique or just a matter of my lacking the appropriate manual dexterity to make it happen.

This is hard for me to describe but what I do is make a rough circle and flatten it out with my hand a bit. Then start turning to round pushing the edge out and letting one edge hang down off my countertop. Continuing to rotate it so gravity is stretching out the dough. Does that make sense?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Here's a good video on it:

https://youtu.be/mSUIZqOfmnM

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Aramoro posted:

This is hard for me to describe but what I do is make a rough circle and flatten it out with my hand a bit. Then start turning to round pushing the edge out and letting one edge hang down off my countertop. Continuing to rotate it so gravity is stretching out the dough. Does that make sense?

It does make sense! But was genuinely not an approach I'd considered or even heard of before.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I do an extremely gradual "spin" where basically after the initial mild flattening (patting it down into a puck) I place it on the knuckles of both hands and pull apart, rotate, repeat. You want to get the outer edge stretched out as much as possible while avoiding the common mistake of stretching the center too much. Depending on how it's going I may occasionally sort of hold it up vertically with both hands and let it "hang" to let gravity pull it a bit, but I usually need to work a little to get it back into a circle after that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

I do an extremely gradual "spin" where basically after the initial mild flattening (patting it down into a puck) I place it on the knuckles of both hands and pull apart, rotate, repeat. You want to get the outer edge stretched out as much as possible while avoiding the common mistake of stretching the center too much. Depending on how it's going I may occasionally sort of hold it up vertically with both hands and let it "hang" to let gravity pull it a bit, but I usually need to work a little to get it back into a circle after that.

Yeah, stretching the center too much is my usual mistake when I try it.

Who would've known that discs would be so difficult???

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I just use a rolling pin - i don't make that many pizzas.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I just use a rolling pin - i don't make that many pizzas.

Oh, yeah, you get perfectly edible pizzas using a rolling pin, but it also feels like it tends to make the crust less fluffy and airy?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

It does make sense! But was genuinely not an approach I'd considered or even heard of before.

It's essentially the same thing as lifting it and turning it round in your hands but easier to control. I watched a man do it in a pizza place once, tried it next time I was making pizzas and it worked really well. I just assumed that it was how people did it but I tried to look up other folk doing it and came up blank.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I start by lift up the dough round and running it in circles with my fingers around it and my thumbs in view. An analogy I can see for it is like a hamster trying to chomp the outer crust off of something. After a few laps of that, I have a big and flat enough round that I can rest on my upward knuckles. Then I pull my arms apart like ripping open a bag of potato chips, shift on hand towards me, shift one away, and then move them to equal distance, and that turns it. When you get comfortable with that, the pizza starts to fly around a bit. You don't fling it up in the air unless you're showing off, but you can really get moving.

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, yeah, you get perfectly edible pizzas using a rolling pin, but it also feels like it tends to make the crust less fluffy and airy?

Yeah it kills the puff. I eventually transitioned over to 100% pulled but it was a process, and it was universally accepted as better. My main problem was the dough was underkneaded so it nothing would happen when I was pulling. Like, I'd do a full rotation of the dough and have something the same size as I had started, over and over. This is also a problem if the dough is cold, by the way.

Edit: Come play in the pizza thread if you want to really go nuts.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I did another. This time I did it in a Dutch oven. The spring was a lot better - this was either due to the Dutch oven, or the fact that I folded during proofing as soon as it hit twice the size, aiming to err on the side of early rather than late.

When it came out it was crisp but again as it cooled this faded, the crust wrinkled ever so slightly, and now only the slash is crispy. I've yet to manage to get something nice and crisp. I have now tried Duch oven, a splash of water in a pan at the start of the process, and the method shown in this Kenji video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RUDa0FKplk

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Bageled again, getting the hang of them.

(Cut a bit too early but I was hungry)

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I did another. This time I did it in a Dutch oven. The spring was a lot better - this was either due to the Dutch oven, or the fact that I folded during proofing as soon as it hit twice the size, aiming to err on the side of early rather than late.

When it came out it was crisp but again as it cooled this faded, the crust wrinkled ever so slightly, and now only the slash is crispy. I've yet to manage to get something nice and crisp. I have now tried Duch oven, a splash of water in a pan at the start of the process, and the method shown in this Kenji video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RUDa0FKplk

the reason crusts get soft and soggy as they cool is because the bread is releasing steam, and if that steam is being released into cool air, it'll condense on the crust. to avoid this, you instead let the bread cool in warm air. you know, like the air in the oven you just had going!

ever since i started cooling my loaves in the oven after baking--turned off, with the door slightly ajar to let more moisture escape--i haven't had a problem with soft crusts. give it a try!

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

:vince:

Edit: just God drat amazed I had never considered this solution

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 5, 2023

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

How do I cut consistent slices from a sandwich loaf?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A good knife.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How do I cut consistent slices from a sandwich loaf?
I don't want to recommend spending quarts of money, but buy a manual bread slicer. Second-hand EVA should do you; watch Etsy and Ebay a few weeks to see what's cheap.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Other than a nice machine, practice and a good knife, yeah.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

There is no way I'm giving up the counter space needed for a dedicated slicer, though I might pick up a knife not made by "HumBee". One piece of advice I've seen that makes sense is to focus on cutting vertically and evenly instead of correcting direction all the time like I do.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Are you counting it out from the middle? Like if you want 16 slices, you don't go to one end and magically start cutting 16 even slices. You mark the middle, split each half in half, split each quarter in half, etc. You can cut the slices if you want them all now, or you can just make a little mark so you know where to cut when you want more.

This also works to portion cookie dough or lots of other things. If you keep to halves, you can really just eyeball it and they'll still end up quite even

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Misread instructions, put cookie dough in eyeball, please send help.

P.S. It was salted caramel

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Been working on my sandwich loafs.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh that looks great. Tell me about it?

I've made a few simple loaves in the Pullman with the top off and they've all gone over pretty medium.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
It’s basically this recipe https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/japanese-milk-bread-recipe but I replaced the sugar with honey and fold the butter in rather than mix it in melted. And I just dropped the dry milk completely. Don’t currently have a pullman to use so it was just baked in a standard 1lb loaf pan.

I’ve started using a tangzhong for most of my breads these days and it’s made a world of difference in both the softness and how long it will stay fresh, not that any of it lasts very long anyway.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Today, I tried out a 2nd attempt at baking some multi-seeded whole wheat bread.

edit: It's 2.5 cups bread flour, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup rolled oats, 2tbsp each pumpkin and sesame seeds, 1tbsp each flax and poppy seeds in the dough, and then 1tbsp each of the oats and each of the seeds sprinkled on top before letting it rise. 30 min in a bread pan.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 9, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Catastrophe posted:

Today, I tried out a 2nd attempt at baking some multi-seeded whole wheat bread.

BLT me baby, I love mine on toasted multigrain :dance:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

spaced ninja posted:

It’s basically this recipe https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/japanese-milk-bread-recipe but I replaced the sugar with honey and fold the butter in rather than mix it in melted. And I just dropped the dry milk completely. Don’t currently have a pullman to use so it was just baked in a standard 1lb loaf pan.

I’ve started using a tangzhong for most of my breads these days and it’s made a world of difference in both the softness and how long it will stay fresh, not that any of it lasts very long anyway.

I use Chef John's recipe and it's always come out well, haven't gotten as much rise but it's very tasty

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

spaced ninja posted:

Yeah, tangzhong is the bomb.

I usually do bread from a modified version of the "toast bread" recipe that came with my Ankarsrum , varying the flour each time. It has been rock-solid reliable, except for the times when my yeast died due to my old fridge. Original recipe This fills two of the big USA Pan Pullman loaf, with two end-to-end loaves in each one. I'm not sure of the conversion from the large Pullman pan to regular pans. I have a big enough freezer that three loaves go in the freezer, the other on the supper table. They disappear fast.

Ingredients:
500 ml buttermilk
500 ml water
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon active dry yeast (sorry, original recipe is sized that way, or 7g fresh yeast)
~30 grams room temperature butter
1/2 T sugar (eyeball this, on the low side)
1 1/2 T salt
1440-1560 grams flour. I generally mix half commercial bread flour, the other half some mix of whole grains: whole wheat, spelt, einkorn, whatever. A big proportion of the flour must be bread flour rather than all-purpose: that's a lot of what gives you the rise.
(Optional) 1 egg.

Warm buttermilk/water mixture to blood heat; I usually treat 80 F as fine, recipe calls for 37C/98F fresh yeast, or 41C/105F dry yeast . Proof yeast in water. The proofing actually matters here; you want the yeast to have its heels dug in.

Add butter, sugar, and salt; run the mixer a couple of times to mix these in to the liquids. Add half the flour and mix, with Danish dough whisk, mixer, or hands. Once initial batch of flour is incorporated, start adding flour, a cup or so at a time, until you have a slightly sticky dough; the dough should not be stiff, but should be much stiffer than any artisanal/high-hydration dough. Knead until dough is smooth, forms into a ball, and is only slightly tacky on the surface. Cover and rise until doubled; this usually takes 45 min for me, but it'll depend on your kitchen temperature & humidity. Recipe says 30 min- an hour. The important thing is that when you touch the surface lightly with a finger, it should dent instead of bouncing back.

Preheat oven to 225C/425F. Remove proofed dough from bowl. Divide into four. Gently form each of the four into a rectangle whose width the width of your pan. I usually take each quarter and tuck its ends and sides under it and continue until smooth. If not using a USA pan, grease the pan. Tuck bread into pans and let rise; recipe calls for 20 min, which is usually right for me. Touch top of loaf even more lightly; you're done when it doesn't bounce back or falls only a tiny bit. Start checking 5 min or so before the deadline, and keep going until the bread is fully risen. Keep an eye on it.

If you're using an egg wash, beat the egg here and brush it lightly on the top of the risen loaves. Sprinkle with your favorite seeds. I usually mix sesame and poppy.

Bake until golden brown; recipe says 30 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

spelt, einkorn,...

Ugh, I hated fighting those guys, in Dark Souls 1 :argh:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I've never been good at making rolls but I gave the wholemeal sourdough sandwich buns from The Perfect Loaf. I think they turned out pretty well, some of the best rolls I've made sourdough or not.

Tastes really nice,. I was very happy with them.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Aramoro posted:

I've never been good at making rolls but I gave the wholemeal sourdough sandwich buns from The Perfect Loaf. I think they turned out pretty well, some of the best rolls I've made sourdough or not.

Tastes really nice,. I was very happy with them.

Those look great!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

From Nilsson's The Nordic Baking Book, which I just got:

quote:

"The only reason I would ever bake this cake is if I had a lot of leftover egg whites. Wait, no. That's not even true. If I had leftover egg whites I would make meringue instead. The fact is I would never make this cake."
I guffawed. It's silver cake (silverkaka), a standard white sponge cake, and I agree.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got this "Deli&Co bread pan" the other day:
https://www.amazon.com/Deli-Co-Pre-Seasoned-Multicooker-sourdough/dp/B09V1MQ8VC

I made my standard dutch oven loaf in it. It bulk rested in a bowl before I turned it out on the counter, laminated it once, then balled it up until I got a good skin and slapped it in a couche. I scored really well. I guess dropping the dough from a couche straight into a dutch oven does something to the skin. It also inhibits me from getting in around the sides of it. I also had enough room to toss in an ice cube before I covered it up and that seemed to do a good job of adding water.

The result:

It's a little flatter than I had hoped, but I actually got an ear! It rates somewhere between "an incremental improvement" to "the best loaf I've ever made."

It did splat out a bit instead of just rising up. I will be making another loaf tomorrow because this was . . . well-accepted. So I'll actually made sure my yeast is really kicking this time. However, I think my shaping needs a refinement. I want to revisit that "balled it up until I got a good skin." I just kept stretching out one side and shoving the results up into the other end of the loaf like it was the loaf's butt. The butt side was what went on the bottom of the pan with the stretched side on top. I am guessing I need a loaf that is pretty much a ball all around. When it's in the couche, it does flatten out on top. I've always had that problem. Is there a particular thing I should be trying?

The dough is a mix of my 14% high-protein flour for pizza and a local artisinal whole wheat. Well, it's a strange one. I don't know if it's actually whole-wheat or what because it's very fine. I don't get any scratchiness out of it at all. It makes a drat dark bread nonetheless at 50% of the flour.

Edit: Also, what are the cool kids using for a bread knife? I'd like something I could sharpen.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I got this "Deli&Co bread pan" the other day:
https://www.amazon.com/Deli-Co-Pre-Seasoned-Multicooker-sourdough/dp/B09V1MQ8VC

I made my standard dutch oven loaf in it. It bulk rested in a bowl before I turned it out on the counter, laminated it once, then balled it up until I got a good skin and slapped it in a couche. I scored really well. I guess dropping the dough from a couche straight into a dutch oven does something to the skin. It also inhibits me from getting in around the sides of it. I also had enough room to toss in an ice cube before I covered it up and that seemed to do a good job of adding water.

The result:

It's a little flatter than I had hoped, but I actually got an ear! It rates somewhere between "an incremental improvement" to "the best loaf I've ever made."

It did splat out a bit instead of just rising up. I will be making another loaf tomorrow because this was . . . well-accepted. So I'll actually made sure my yeast is really kicking this time. However, I think my shaping needs a refinement. I want to revisit that "balled it up until I got a good skin." I just kept stretching out one side and shoving the results up into the other end of the loaf like it was the loaf's butt. The butt side was what went on the bottom of the pan with the stretched side on top. I am guessing I need a loaf that is pretty much a ball all around. When it's in the couche, it does flatten out on top. I've always had that problem. Is there a particular thing I should be trying?

The dough is a mix of my 14% high-protein flour for pizza and a local artisinal whole wheat. Well, it's a strange one. I don't know if it's actually whole-wheat or what because it's very fine. I don't get any scratchiness out of it at all. It makes a drat dark bread nonetheless at 50% of the flour.

Edit: Also, what are the cool kids using for a bread knife? I'd like something I could sharpen.

I don't know about rest of your post, but I treat serrated knives as semi-disposable. Just not worth it to sharpen them.

I have a Merkur 10" serrated bread knife from Amazon I like!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

For making your skin you should be using the friction of your working surface.

I lost some other poo poo in translation, but you should do a bench rest before doing final shaping and don't score in your proofing container.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

For making your skin you should be using the friction of your working surface.

I lost some other poo poo in translation, but you should do a bench rest before doing final shaping and don't score in your proofing container.

I wonder if I've seen people rolling the dough ball around and just kind of assumed they were fiddling with it and not working on the skin.

In terms of the timeline, it's:

Dough turned out from mixer into a bowl, rises until it's around twice the volume or more.
I pull out the dough from the bowl on to the counter and shape it. It then goes into a couche and rises again.
When the dough's approximately doubled again, I dump into the preheated baking pan, score it, add some ice, put on lid, and bake.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You should do a pre-shape. After it comes out of the bulk bowl, ball it and cover for 15 to a half hour. Longer the shorter your bulk ferment is. Pre-shape will be done when it flattens out a bit. An indication that you have proper gluten formation will be a Frisbee profile on the dough near your surface.

The Frisbee like shape is a good indication all around of happy fermentation. You'll see it on preferments, bulk, pre shaping, and depending on your container, final.

If you just want to avoid a discrete pre shaping step you should be doing stretch and folds throughout and preshape on the last. This is only a shortcut for single yield batches. It's needed for good tension.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a Frisbee shape. I mean, Frisbees are round, but there's got to be more, right?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Pretty pretty pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a Frisbee shape. I mean, Frisbees are round, but there's got to be more, right?

(_____) vs /_____\
Left is desired. The similar rounded structure that "isn't flat" you'll see when fermentation is going well and not past its peak.