Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

learnincurve posted:

AP/plain flour is really low gluten guys, [insert mixup of horrified and sad face emoji here] unless you like your bread unnecessarily chewier and flatter then bread flour is the one you should be using.

What a bizarre statement. It's within 2% (of the total content, obviously the relative variance is higher), and varies so much that AP flour in some countries has the equivalent protein content of bread flours in other countries. It's not "really low gluten" at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Also, people like reinhart say they use flour in the 11-12% purposefully (for a huge range of breads) rather than the higher protein bread flours

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Tbh I see this online and I think ice cubes are a terrible idea. All you’re doing is taking the heat down that much more (I am aware of the enthalpy of vaporization but I see no point in making it worse). The boiling water and spray I started doing from BBA gets me some baller baguettes, though.

I have my oven set a little higher to start to account for it, and my oven is also filled with stone to hold temp.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
The wife is making the 'better no-knead' bread from Serious Eats. She's done the overnight bench proof and now the dough is in the fridge in a cambro and has been for a few days. She's planning on baking today. There is a considerable amount of water in the cambro - both around the surface of the dough and condensed up the side of the container. Does that sound right? She says it smells very boozy, but that's been my experience with long fridge ferments.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

angor posted:

The wife is making the 'better no-knead' bread from Serious Eats. She's done the overnight bench proof and now the dough is in the fridge in a cambro and has been for a few days. She's planning on baking today. There is a considerable amount of water in the cambro - both around the surface of the dough and condensed up the side of the container. Does that sound right? She says it smells very boozy, but that's been my experience with long fridge ferments.

its been a while since I have done that bread but I did do it a bunch and didnt ever get any water. somebody else weigh in if this is a bad idea, but I would just dump the water before you pull the dough out for shaping

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

I have my oven set a little higher to start to account for it, and my oven is also filled with stone to hold temp.

Yeah i think you underestimate how much that cools the oven still. If it works for you, fine, I just think it’s bad advice generally

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Yeah i think you underestimate how much that cools the oven still. If it works for you, fine, I just think it’s bad advice generally

Fair. It took me a lot of fine tuning to get it figured out for me and its still something I'm tweaking regularly after something like a decade of making baguettes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

My levain rose like crazy and was super quick, but now this dough is going sooooo slowly :negative:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mediaphage posted:

What a bizarre statement. It's within 2% (of the total content, obviously the relative variance is higher), and varies so much that AP flour in some countries has the equivalent protein content of bread flours in other countries. It's not "really low gluten" at all.

Yeah I've noticed good Internet recipes call out the actual gluten requirements and I'm guessing it's because of that variance. You'll get pretty big swings on gluten content per flour category even in the same country.

I actually just went on a Google binge to see if there's even a US FDA statement on gluten percentages for different labels of flour and could only find a requirement for declaring "gluten-free" (20 ppm).

King Arthur AP flour is 11.7% gluten which would be a bread flour from other places. Their bread flour is 12.7% gluten, which is just 1% more.

For additional brain breakage, try to contrast gluten content and protein content.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I've noticed good Internet recipes call out the actual gluten requirements and I'm guessing it's because of that variance. You'll get pretty big swings on gluten content per flour category even in the same country.

I actually just went on a Google binge to see if there's even a US FDA statement on gluten percentages for different labels of flour and could only find a requirement for declaring "gluten-free" (20 ppm).

King Arthur AP flour is 11.7% gluten which would be a bread flour from other places. Their bread flour is 12.7% gluten, which is just 1% more.

For additional brain breakage, try to contrast gluten content and protein content.

Yeah. I would want to use pastry flour for bread, as most will be noticeable by that point, but I don't get enough of a difference between AP and bread to bother stocking both kinds (not that it matters much as I mill a lot of mine these days).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fried off the rest of the doughnuts today as doughnut holes

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've never found specific bread flour in stores here. I commonly use what is labeled "half coarse wheat flour" which is my idea of an AP flour.

There is also "special-wheat flour" often with a picture of a cake or bun on it.

Only bread specific flour I've found is this, which makes some hosed up bread with a bad taste, like they flavoured the flour or added something to it. Makes everything taste like the same kind of bread.

And I've looked at the protein contents on all of these and they all seem pretty consistent, around 13g/100g, even the cake flour which based on american food shows would have somehting like 6-8 grams. I think maybe it has to do with northern latitudes, just not possible to get low protein flour this far north.

A few comments on this. I am not American but my understanding is that AP refers to all-purpose, so it can be used for both pastries and cakes, and bread. It thus has quite a fine texture and a moderate protein level, around 11%. The half-coarse wheat flour would, as the name suggests, be too coarse for finer items like pastries and cakes; but would be good for bread: so it is not AP equivalent The special wheat flour you refer to has a finer texture than the half-coarse, and would be used for cakes etc.

As for it not being possible to get lower-protein flour this far north (I am guessing Finland?) there was a great BBC Food Programme episode on Scandinavian baking, and it went through the different types of flours and breads. In the warmer south they could grow wheat; farther north, rye; farther north, barley; furthest north, oats. The further north one went, the lower the gluten/protein content. I would not be surprised if the flour that you are buying was not from wheat grown in Finland, but somewhere further south.

mediaphage posted:

Fried off the rest of the doughnuts today as doughnut holes

Please be my neighbour.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Please be my neighbour.

well if you ever get the urge to move to Canada, I’m sure we’d have a time (I did make a neighbours quarantine snack pack with doughnuts, caramels, bagels, and stack cake to give away recently).

Y’all are prolly tired of my doughnut/hole adventures but man lookit this crumb!

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 20, 2020

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/pain-de-mie/

Making this recipe, my starter and levain were super active and happy, but I'm on hour 6 of bulk fermentation and while it smells yeasty, there's zero indication of anything going on. It is a little cool in my kitchen so I'm gonna let it go longer, but if poo poo isn't doing anything, is it too late to pretend it was the world's longest autolyse and cut some instant yeast through the dough?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Making this recipe, my starter and levain were super active and happy, but I'm on hour 6 of bulk fermentation and while it smells yeasty, there's zero indication of anything going on. It is a little cool in my kitchen so I'm gonna let it go longer, but if poo poo isn't doing anything, is it too late to pretend it was the world's longest autolyse and cut some instant yeast through the dough?

You might try putting in your oven over a bowl of boiling water to add warmth and humidity. But if nothing happens, yeah, you can totally just slop it into a mixer and knead in a little yeast sugar water or whatever.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm looking up hoagies, french bread, and italian bread; none of them are particularly any one "thing" on their own. I'm currently settling on a fairly wet (+60% baker's hydration) dough that has a little bit of fat in it. I keep seeing a trend with that and kaiser rolls. Is there a general category for that kind of dough? I don't think I would necessarily call it an enriched dough, but it isn't lean either. A lot of recipes for these breads call for all-purpose flour, not bread flour; even King Arthur's site has stuff us AP flour, so it's clear the recipes aren't naive. However, I will probably use bread flour to get some of the toughness I've come to expect, and use a milk/egg white wash to develop the crust.

Did you have any success with the hoagie rolls? I’m looking to try and make proper cheesesteak bread, so sub and hoagie rolls are ideal.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

well if you ever get the urge to move to Canada, I’m sure we’d have a time (I did make a neighbours quarantine snack pack with doughnuts, caramels, bagels, and stack cake to give away recently).

Y’all are prolly tired of my doughnut/hole adventures but man lookit this crumb!

Well, my brother lives in Toronto...

Where did you learn so much about baking, BTW? You're a bloody savant.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Well, my brother lives in Toronto...

Where did you learn so much about baking, BTW? You're a bloody savant.

I’m totally down to train into the city for an eat-up.

And aw that’s kind. Honestly I like fermentation anything since I have a micro background and after doing a semester in France North American baking was pretty terrible (at the time, it has improved by an order of magnitude since then), at least where I was living then. So if you wanted something delicious, well, time to diy.

Lately I’ve been really into doing as much as I can on my own. Milling whole grains has been somewhat revelatory, the flavour of the flour is really great.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Did you have any success with the hoagie rolls? I’m looking to try and make proper cheesesteak bread, so sub and hoagie rolls are ideal.

I haven't done them yet. I planned to do a bunch of baking this weekend, but the weather forecast is all over the place. The one problem with relying on an outdoor, wood-fired oven is the drat weather.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I made sourdough rolls! I wish I had left them in the oven for five more minutes, but they were yummy with dinner and even better today, toasted as egg sandwiches.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hoagie roll OP,
I have this recipe I found in one of my old note books
The kitchen I was working in we had a lot of waygu scraps from trimming up beef and the chef wanted to make cheese steak sandwiches for staff meal.
I used this recipe and they were pretty perfect for that.

6 c bread flour
3 1/3 c water
3 Tb sugar
1 1/2 Tb yeast
1 1/2 Tb salt
4 1/2 Tb oil

I'm pretty sure I scaled it up from a smaller recipe if you need to adjust the amount it makes it shouldn't be a problem.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

I haven't made this particular recipe but I do regularly make the doughnuts from that site, and if this bread is anything like the doughnuts, you really do need to give these sorts of doughs a warm environment for bulk. It's likely your yeast is doing its thing, but the cooler environment is making the bulk take longer. The section on bulk fermentation do mention all these things, so maybe just let it proof in the oven like mediaphage suggested.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Hoagie roll OP,
I have this recipe I found in one of my old note books
The kitchen I was working in we had a lot of waygu scraps from trimming up beef and the chef wanted to make cheese steak sandwiches for staff meal.
I used this recipe and they were pretty perfect for that.

6 c bread flour
3 1/3 c water
3 Tb sugar
1 1/2 Tb yeast
1 1/2 Tb salt
4 1/2 Tb oil

I'm pretty sure I scaled it up from a smaller recipe if you need to adjust the amount it makes it shouldn't be a problem.

Thats real wet. Are the six cups packed?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

therattle posted:

As for it not being possible to get lower-protein flour this far north (I am guessing Finland?) there was a great BBC Food Programme episode on Scandinavian baking, and it went through the different types of flours and breads. In the warmer south they could grow wheat; farther north, rye; farther north, barley; furthest north, oats. The further north one went, the lower the gluten/protein content. I would not be surprised if the flour that you are buying was not from wheat grown in Finland, but somewhere further south.

We definitely grow wheat in Finland, I got wheat fields nearby. It's something of a big deal in Finland that we produce 80% of our own food and basically all our own grains. All the packages I listed specify Finland as the country of origin for the grain. I don't think that brand would dare try otherwise.

I've also had the opposite understanding, i.e. that the further north you go, the more protein your wheat gets and the further south the less. That was the explanation I remember as to why the high protein flours in the US were grown in the north and the low protein flours are grown in the south of the US.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Sure, as your dough ferments (especially when using a wild starter), you give extra time for the microbial amylases and proteases to break down the sugars and proteins in your dough. This results in good flavour, but worse structure.

This makes me feel a lot better that there is an actual explanation.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Thats real wet. Are the six cups packed?

Seems I fat fingered typing it in that should be a 2 not a 3:cry:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

His Divine Shadow posted:

We definitely grow wheat in Finland, I got wheat fields nearby. It's something of a big deal in Finland that we produce 80% of our own food and basically all our own grains. All the packages I listed specify Finland as the country of origin for the grain. I don't think that brand would dare try otherwise.

I've also had the opposite understanding, i.e. that the further north you go, the more protein your wheat gets and the further south the less. That was the explanation I remember as to why the high protein flours in the US were grown in the north and the low protein flours are grown in the south of the US.

That’s interesting. I can’t find anything about gluten levels relating to latitude after a cursory search.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

therattle posted:

That’s interesting. I can’t find anything about gluten levels relating to latitude after a cursory search.

look for stressing.

just happens latitudes correlate with stressing.
that's unsubstantiated

http://landresources.montana.edu/soilfertility/documents/PDF/pub/NWhtProtEB0206.pdf
easiest read I could find on stressing quick

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 21, 2020

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What's a good recipe for hot dog/sausage buns?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Midniter posted:

Not a bun in the sense we’re used to in the US but if you want to go full German you can make rolls pretty easy. Brötchen is the name for them. They’re kind of thick and firm but not hard. Perfect for carrying a sausage around in one hand while you drink a beer with the other.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

therattle posted:

It might just be bullshit. Maybe it's just they grew different varieties in the south and north.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Midniter posted:

My standard enriched dough is 65% hydration, 2.5% salt. Add an egg and 30g of milk powder per 5-600g of flour. Leaven with yeast, starter, or whatever other preferment you want.

As regards protein content, I imagine that variety has more to do with it than location - but there will naturally be variances between the same variety grown in two different locations (that’s nothing new, though).

Like, winter wheats are softer than spring wheats, so it’s possible that more northerly latitudes find it easier to grow that kind. I don’t know, though; that’s just a guess.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have come to realize that the real purpose of my starter is to make King Arthur rosemary-sourdough crackers. Occasionally I make a loaf of bread, as a treat. Today I'm doing a Romano/smoked paprika variant of the crackers; will report back.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
The Bread Thread: Occasionally I make a loaf of bread, as a treat.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Coming back to this finally:

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Weather permitting, I'm thinking of doing kaiser rolls tomorrow, but I'm gunning for a general-purpose sandwich recipe here. I don't know how practical that is because I think the hydration on the long rolls tends to be higher. I don't have any particular notes on technique here.

A mish-mash between:
* John Kirkwood's rolls
* King Arthur Flour Kaiser Rolls

No egg in dough. Enrichment is only from some using more butter... and bonus soy lecithin. Everything I've seen from a crumb created with the egg doesn't seem to be what I want. Crumb is too small and loose. I want some teeth battle with this.

* 560g bread flour
* 320g water
* 30g sugar
* 50g melted butter
* 6g salt
* 6g soy lecithin

Brushing with milk/egg white mix.
Cutting with an X shape.
Topping with sesame seeds.

Rolls will not be touching each other.
Rolls will go directly on bricks.

Will spray steam when added to oven.

Baking at 400F for total of 15 minutes, but turning partways.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

My fail loaf produced something surprisingly decent after mixing in a couple grams of commercial yeast and letting it proof overnight in the fridge.

I think I got a bit hasty because I didn't want to be baking at 10pm last night and it probably could have used another hour on its second rise. It's a bit dense and didn't fill out the pan completely on the top.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Decided to try random scoring. Made with the super simple King Arthur flour no-knead sourdough recipe except did the long fridge proof in the banneton

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Casu Marzu posted:

My fail loaf produced something surprisingly decent after mixing in a couple grams of commercial yeast and letting it proof overnight in the fridge.

I think I got a bit hasty because I didn't want to be baking at 10pm last night and it probably could have used another hour on its second rise. It's a bit dense and didn't fill out the pan completely on the top.

How long is that loaf? It looks pretty long.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

How long is that loaf? It looks pretty long.

13x4x4 pullman pan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
After seeing sourdough cinnamon buns in this thread I wanted to try making them. I struggled a bit.

Attempt #2 . Only sourdough starter, no added yeast. Bulk fermented for 4ish hours, then shaped and refrigerated the rolls to bake the next day. Not a success.

Didn’t take pictures of the first attempt. Used the same method but I got at least some rise out of them.

#3 - started adding „insurance“ yeast and it did good things

#4 - more like it

Want to go back to sourdough only and the longer rise time. The sourdough tang is great with the brown sugar and cinnamon and I feel it’s way less with the added yeast.

Not sure how to get the starter where it needs to be for this.

edit: sorry for the huge pictures, added some timg tags

Serendipitaet fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 23, 2020