Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Slice sourdough before freezing, plastic ziplock is probably fine but it won’t be good forever. Should toast up pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Made some German style rolls today.

I forgot to score them of course. But I also put the wrong side up so they ended up breaking open nicely by themselves. I actually prefer this rustic look.

I have a hard time not just eating them all at once.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I slice my sandwich bread before freezing and store it in a ziplock. While there's more chance for freezer burn, it's really convenient to grab a slice and stick it in the toaster straight form the freezer.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slave to my cravings posted:

Slice sourdough before freezing, plastic ziplock is probably fine but it won’t be good forever. Should toast up pretty well.

This. You can even put it back together in one single bag and it'll break apart reasonably easily. My toaster has a defrost option that works well in this scenario.

I just realized my oven has a timer function, so I can now wake up to a hot oven, just chuck in the bread and be in business in half an hour.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Doll House Ghost posted:

I've been meaning to try this recipe from Woks of Life:

https://thewoksoflife.com/milk-bread-2/

They don't use tangzhong at all, which intrigues me. But I haven't tried it yet, so no guarantees.

Any tips on freezing bread? I usually make two sourdough loaves at the same time for convenience, and would like to freeze one of them. Slice it before feezing? Paper bag, plastic bag?

as mentioned you can freeze it pre-sliced pretty well. you'll want to let it cool out of the oven, slice it and freeze it immediately. you can toast it directly from frozen. if you use it as toast, there's almost no difference between this and freshly baked bread. you will notice a slight difference in texture if you just thaw it, warm it and eat, about equivalent to a day of staling in a bag at room temp. this is still a lot better than taking bread in and out of a fridge. use a ziploc freezer bag (they're thicker) and in a normal freezer it'll be fine for 2 - 3 weeks (it'll of course be edible after but you'll start to notice). in a freezer that doesn't defrost automatically it'll last for a long time.

as to your milk bread recipe, frankly i'm not sure it needs a tangzhong step considering how much fat is in there: an egg, the fat in the milk, and 2/3 of a cup of cream. plus there's (for me) a lot of sugar, and you even paint them with a simple syrup, both of which will suck in and hold on to moisture (which is the point of a tangzhong's pre-gelatinization).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Doll House Ghost posted:

I've been meaning to try this recipe from Woks of Life:

https://thewoksoflife.com/milk-bread-2/

They don't use tangzhong at all, which intrigues me. But I haven't tried it yet, so no guarantees.

Any tips on freezing bread? I usually make two sourdough loaves at the same time for convenience, and would like to freeze one of them. Slice it before feezing? Paper bag, plastic bag?

That recipe looks similar to what I posted except the major thing is mine uses butter and theirs doesn’t, and theirs uses heavy cream which mine doesn’t. I guess butter is a fat, and heavy cream… contains fat, so what does fat do to a bread?

Also, stuff like this confuses me:

quote:

Let it go for 15 minutes, occasionally stopping the mixer to push the dough together. If you’re in a humid climate and the dough is too sticky, feel free to add a little more bread flour, 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together.

From the KitchenAid manual (also the mixer that website recommends) they all but say to use it to knead for 2-4 minutes max. Kneading for 15 minutes, according to KA, is the equivalent of hand kneading for at minimum 75 minutes. I’ve posted here about how I’ve had the mixer running for 15+ minutes at a time and how it didn’t look like a dough/done and I think was told it’s been kneaded enough and that something else was wrong.

But on a few recipes I’ve seen it explicitly say to run the stand mixer for these 15+ minute times so :shrug: :iiam:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Fat in bread helps it hold on to more moisture, so you get a longer shelf life and a softer crumb along with a richer taste.

Unrelated: I had some dark rye flour to use up and subbed in 20% for AP four in pizza dough yesterday. I might have to do this regularly-I really like the added depth of flavor.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fat in bread will give a tighter, softer crumb. i don’t know about holding on to moisture: nothing about fat particularly absorbs moisture (oil/water eh).

i love adding whole rye to stuff. i make chocolate chip cookies exclusively with 100% whole rye these days. the taste is unbeatable.

as regards kneading: i really think people don’t add enough dough to mixers for them to knead well and as a result they feel they need to knead forever to get any development. kneading a proper amount of dough for fifteen minutes gives you something extremely stretchy with a close crumb; i only do it for bagels.

fwiw if you’re willing to wait, time and the presence of water will develop your gluten for you. thus using a mixer to bring your dough together, knead for whatever length you want, and shove in the fridge overnight. this is what led to the rise of the no-knead movement (personally i like something in between and get a little tired of the preachiness/lifehackery surrounding it, like mixers are evil) and as a plus the slow, often cold ferment gives you better flavour development anyway.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I made this KAF Everything bread following the recipe pretty closely, putting the Everything topping on by spritzing the loaf with water and sprinkling the topping on right before scoring it to put it in the oven.

poo poo tastes great but my problem is all the topping just falls right off with, like, my hand on the bread for slicing or even just as the bread shakes around with the knife going back and forth. I’m close to the end of the loaf and there’s basically nothing on it anymore and now it hardly tastes like the topping at all.

Anyone have any tips/tricks for putting toppings on a boule and having it stick a little better?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Try brushing egg whites on top you can mix it with a little water to thin it out a little it'll give the shine but not the extra browning of a straight egg wash. It should help to glue the toppings on a little better but some will always still fall off.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

fourwood posted:

I made this KAF Everything bread following the recipe pretty closely, putting the Everything topping on by spritzing the loaf with water and sprinkling the topping on right before scoring it to put it in the oven.

poo poo tastes great but my problem is all the topping just falls right off with, like, my hand on the bread for slicing or even just as the bread shakes around with the knife going back and forth. I’m close to the end of the loaf and there’s basically nothing on it anymore and now it hardly tastes like the topping at all.

Anyone have any tips/tricks for putting toppings on a boule and having it stick a little better?

Sprinkling on top is p much always gonna turn out with everything falling off.

I like to sprinkle the topping on a clean kitchen towel, and right after shaping and before it goes into a banneton, I'll spritz the top with water and roll it around on the towel for a bit to get everything picked up and pressed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fXONXAk71k

Here's a youtube example from The Perfect Loaf dude.

Edit: ^^ I feel like an egg washed loaf at 450 for almost an hour is gonna turn out pretty charred and not great.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 21, 2021

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Sprinkling on top is p much always gonna turn out with everything falling off.

I like to sprinkle the topping on a clean kitchen towel, and right after shaping and before it goes into a banneton, I'll spritz the top with water and roll it around on the towel for a bit to get everything picked up and pressed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fXONXAk71k

Here's a youtube example from The Perfect Loaf dude.

Edit: ^^ I feel like an egg washed loaf at 450 for almost an hour is gonna turn out pretty charred and not great.
Okay, and it's... not all gonna fall off in the banneton? I'd been thinking about doing the topping before the proof instead of after already and this looks like an extra step in that direction too (pre-proof but smooshing it into the dough some more). I'll give it a go next time, thanks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

fourwood posted:

Okay, and it's... not all gonna fall off in the banneton? I'd been thinking about doing the topping before the proof instead of after already and this looks like an extra step in that direction too (pre-proof but smooshing it into the dough some more). I'll give it a go next time, thanks.

It's never gonna be 100% coverage, but I haven't found a better way to get add ons to actually glue themselves to a loaf. You should also be flouring the banneton enough that not much of anything should stick when you turn it out.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

It's never gonna be 100% coverage, but I haven't found a better way to get add ons to actually glue themselves to a loaf. You should also be flouring the banneton enough that not much of anything should stick when you turn it out.
Yeah, I’ve never had anything really stick to the lining too much. I’m hoping this will help. It’s really disappointing bread once the topping is all gone. :sigh:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I shaped and baked a loaf this morning, I sort of had to because it was the last of the 7 days of the 'keeps in the fridge for 7 days' no-knead king arthur recipe. I folded it over like an envelope then rolled it SUPER TIGHT, like stretching and rolling a lot, lots of rolls.. I suppose you know where this is going. It didn't rise very well and after being in the oven for 30 minutes it was dense, and it tasted fine because it was bread, but the middle of the loaf, like the middle third, had a clearly unbaked portion where it was super dense and doughy, and makes me feel blah from eating it. I suppose I've now experienced "didn't shape it" and "shaped it too tightly" so I will try to aim for "shaped properly but not too tightly" I suppose.

edit: and thanks for the scissor trick, I am able to get decent cuts on this stuff with scissors.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I've got a poolish going and I'm unreasonably excited by how farty and bubbly it is. This is better than having a cat.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

redreader posted:

I shaped and baked a loaf this morning, I sort of had to because it was the last of the 7 days of the 'keeps in the fridge for 7 days' no-knead king arthur recipe. I folded it over like an envelope then rolled it SUPER TIGHT, like stretching and rolling a lot, lots of rolls.. I suppose you know where this is going. It didn't rise very well and after being in the oven for 30 minutes it was dense, and it tasted fine because it was bread, but the middle of the loaf, like the middle third, had a clearly unbaked portion where it was super dense and doughy, and makes me feel blah from eating it. I suppose I've now experienced "didn't shape it" and "shaped it too tightly" so I will try to aim for "shaped properly but not too tightly" I suppose.

edit: and thanks for the scissor trick, I am able to get decent cuts on this stuff with scissors.

Yeah when I tuck and roll my sourdough, it's a very loose roll or else you knock all the air out. It's a learning process!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I've got a poolish going and I'm unreasonably excited by how farty and bubbly it is. This is better than having a cat.

smells better too. Petting leaves some things to be desired.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

redreader posted:

part of this, too, is that after an aggressive shaping like that, you needed to let it proof longer at room temperature, i'm thinking.

sometimes my sourdoughs ferment for a pretty long time.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Hey! I successfully breaded! The flavor is good, but I'd like more air in my crumb. But not bad at all! I think even as high of a hydration as this dough was supposed to have it was still too slack, or maybe I just need more practice doing the tuck and folds etc. Did the two cast iron bake method, and I wonder if I should have adjusted the baking temp/time as I think it was done after about half an hour as opposed to the 45 min the recipe said. (I thought it looked done at about 27 min in but I tend to underbake and left it in for another 10 and it got a bit scorched also I had WAY too much flour dusted on top)

recipe from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mehXzl7yHA

quote:

150g or ROUGHLY 1 C. AP FLOUR
150g or ROUGHLY 2/3C. WATER (ROOM TEMP)
1 small pinch YEAST
- let the poolish ripen on counter 4-24 hours, preferably at least 16

DOUGH
280g or 1 1/4C.WATER (98F)
2g or 1/2 TSP YEAST
ALL OF THE POOLISH
350g or 2 1/4 C. AP FLOUR
50g or ROUGHLY 1/3 C. WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
10g or roughly 1.5 TSP KOSHER SALT

BAKING TIMES/ TEMPS

METHOD 3: Preheat Dutch Oven at 485-500 for 30-40 minutes, bake at 485 covered for 18 minutes, and 485 uncovered for additional 25-30 depending on oven and desired color.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hey! I successfully breaded! The flavor is good, but I'd like more air in my crumb. But not bad at all! I think even as high of a hydration as this dough was supposed to have it was still too slack, or maybe I just need more practice doing the tuck and folds etc. Did the two cast iron bake method, and I wonder if I should have adjusted the baking temp/time as I think it was done after about half an hour as opposed to the 45 min the recipe said. (I thought it looked done at about 27 min in but I tend to underbake and left it in for another 10 and it got a bit scorched also I had WAY too much flour dusted on top)

recipe from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mehXzl7yHA

looks great. you can probably get away with doing an all-day ferment on something like that, periodically wetting your hand and folding the dough over a few times. this long ferment and handling can help with hole size and distribution.

i know a number of recipes say it but i think 500°F is really hot. if you’re wanting to know when bread is done with a certainty, get a decent quick-read thermometer. bread is generally considered done anywhere above 190°F. i tend to take most lean dough breads to 200-205°F, and most enriched doughs to 190-195°F. there are exceptions but i find that a helpful range.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

475 maybe? Or even lower?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Also if you score it, it can rise easier and you will get bigger bubbles.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

haha, I did, I just did a poo poo job of it. Those 4 dark spots on the top are my scores.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
More questions about the giant no-knead dough ball: The instructions say to grab a handful and tear it off. I suspect that's the best option: I tried using an oiled pastry cutter to cut it in half and take half, and it resulted in:
1: untouched risen dough taking 5 quarts of a 6-quart container
2: I cut it in half and take half
3: remaining dough now takes up about 1 quart and never seems to rise again

Does that mean that my cut in half method is resulting in it letting out tons of air? and grabbing it would in fact be better? it's hard to grab the correct amount... can I just grab more if needed and stick it on?

Also when folding a loaf it's like 'fold everything' and then I end up with a tiny piece of dough that's all folded, but I have to stretch it again to properly sit in the loaf pan. I probably need to make the dough bigger than I need it before I fold it, I don't know.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Well that's weird as poo poo. Same recipe as before, but while the first dough was really slack (honestly way too slack even until the final shaping) after autolysing this one feels like it could actually be kneaded. My poolish was much better this time, and I used about 10g more WW flour. I'm not sure if this is a good sign or a bad one but I'm a bit worried to doesn't look like a high hydration dough anymore.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Well that's weird as poo poo. Same recipe as before, but while the first dough was really slack (honestly way too slack even until the final shaping) after autolysing this one feels like it could actually be kneaded. My poolish was much better this time, and I used about 10g more WW flour. I'm not sure if this is a good sign or a bad one but I'm a bit worried to doesn't look like a high hydration dough anymore.

whole wheat flour absorbs a lot more water than an equivalent amount of white flour, so it's possible adding your 10g was enough to change the texture. i'm not sure why you need to be worried about whether it's an official high hydration dough, though.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I like when things go as planned, also I'm not sure if I should keep up with the stretch and fold or just knead the drat thing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I like when things go as planned, also I'm not sure if I should keep up with the stretch and fold or just knead the drat thing

fwiw i find that the stretch and folds are the way to go for high hydration, so if you continue in that vein, i'd stick with it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

That's kind of what I've been doing. I get about two good stretchy folds, but then the whole thing kind of seizes up and doesn't want to stretch anymore, it goes from loose and happy to tight at around fold 2.5

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That means it's working.
When it gets tight like that cover it back up and walk away for 30 mins.
Then do another set of folds and let it rest again.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Oh awesome! Batch 1 stayed pretty floppy all the way to the end, and the youtube I got the recipe from had a very slack dough all the way until the final shaped proof, so I was getting worried. Its in the oven, we'll see what happens.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

That means it's working.
When it gets tight like that cover it back up and walk away for 30 mins.
Then do another set of folds and let it rest again.

yeah, exactly. i just set a timer and come back later for a few more folds.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I was worried because the loaf seemed much heavier than my last batch, but surprisingly the crumb was much better (air pockets!). Good chew, but I think 450 was a bit too low to get the crust I wanted. We'll try 475 next time and give it more time to proof after shaping. It was admittedly a very scant half hour when it should probably have been a generous 45. Patience is hard.

edit: Does whole wheat flour have any effect on rise?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I was worried because the loaf seemed much heavier than my last batch, but surprisingly the crumb was much better (air pockets!). Good chew, but I think 450 was a bit too low to get the crust I wanted. We'll try 475 next time and give it more time to proof after shaping. It was admittedly a very scant half hour when it should probably have been a generous 45. Patience is hard.

Whole wheat def is a slower proof.

Also, are you adding steam to your oven when the dough goes in?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yes, I've been doing the cast iron skillet with ice cubes method

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it depends.

whole wheat flour contains bran, which absorbs a poo poo ton of water and negatively impacts gluten development. it's popularly touted that the bran physically cuts the gluten, and i've believed and said this in the past, but i've read papers that suggest the negative hit to protein structure may have something to do in part with the bran's water absorption in the areas surrounding the strands of gluten.

generally i go for longer proofs than shorter.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Dacap posted:

15% Khorasan loaf

I had never heard of khorasan, so I ordered a 5lb bag from some online retailer that arrived today. Excited to see what will happen - what would you compare it to for "regular" flours as it pertains to required hydration etc? Whole wheat? Rye?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

blixa posted:

I had never heard of khorasan, so I ordered a 5lb bag from some online retailer that arrived today. Excited to see what will happen - what would you compare it to for "regular" flours as it pertains to required hydration etc? Whole wheat? Rye?

whole wheat, because it is a whole wheat (assuming they don't sift it and give you a khorasan-derived white flour, anyway). the gluten may be a little different than what you're used to.

rye is a special case because it has a bunch of enzymes that break down dough structure and often make it loose and sticky no matter the hydration level, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Made some Danish rugbrød (rye bread) and it turned out pretty well!

Involves 80% or more dark rye flour, sourdough starter, lots of seeds. The tricky part is the dough is very sticky, almost like peanut butter.

End product is very dense and moist, great for open-faced sandwiches!