Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Day 4 of the starter, smells :barf::barf::barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Le0 posted:

Day 4 of the starter, smells :barf::barf::barf:

Feed it.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Yeah I'm gonna do that.
My recipe says to throw away two third as well, is that how it should be?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Le0 posted:

Yeah I'm gonna do that.
My recipe says to throw away two third as well, is that how it should be?

Depends how much starter you want.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

therattle posted:

Depends how much starter you want.

But should I always remove a portion of it when feeding? My starter on day 5 is starting to develop a nicer smell, however while having many bubbles it didn't really double in size in 24 hours.
Recipe tells me to throw away two third again and feed but I'm wondering if I should throw away less than that?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Le0 posted:

But should I always remove a portion of it when feeding? My starter on day 5 is starting to develop a nicer smell, however while having many bubbles it didn't really double in size in 24 hours.
Recipe tells me to throw away two third again and feed but I'm wondering if I should throw away less than that?

The only reason to throw away, I believe, is to stop it becoming gargantuan. Otherwise you keep needing to add more and more flour and the mass increases geometrically.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, I always throw away as much as I'm adding in order to keep it living happily in a small Mason jar. Basically you're trying to add food and oxygen for your pets while reducing the acidity so the yeast stays happy.

Remove as much as you like, but maybe add a little more flour and water so you get enough dilution. Don't sweat it too much though, your starter is not that finicky.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Okay so basically feed without removing anything so that I can get enough of it then keep removing so that it stays at the same amount.
Also I should feed it when it start smelling like nail polish remover?

And that's it? Do you think I can use it already for baking at 6 days or should I leave it longer to mature? It currently smells nice and fruity.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Made my first proper boule today. It is nothing special, but I am happy with its shape and especially the crosscuts.

Thinking of dipping my toe into either a sourdough starter or a biga...

EDIT: Bagels next probably, actually

guppy fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 26, 2014

youre wife
Dec 25, 2014

by Ralp
That looks delicious!

Better Batter Recipe:
1 stick bitter butter
! stick better butter
batter

Mix bitter butter into batter making batter bitter
Blend butter better than the bitter butter into batter
Bitter batter will be better

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Good crumb for a 66% whole wheat loaf

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So for my first attempt at making any kind of bread, I decided to follow a recipe in my mom's bread machine book for rolls. Aside from starting them too late to be in time to actually eat with Christmas dinner, I'm now left with roughly 1/2 to 2/3 of a bag of bread flour. I figure I'll take it back to my dorm with me, since otherwise it probably won't get used up. So my main question right now is that the King Arthur no-knead recipe calls for regular white flour, are there any adjustments I should make for using bread flour instead?

(I should have gotten pictures of my rolls, I don't think they were perfect, but they seemed pretty good, definitely smelled good when I pulled them out of the oven.)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I don't think there is much difference between what is called bread flour and regular AP flour, you can probably just use it in its place but maybe I'll let someone who actually use the stuff chime in.

My starter is ready for baking I think, what recipe do you guys recommend?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The main difference between bread and AP flour is higher protein content in the former, which means greater gluten strength. You shouldn't have any trouble subbing them 1:1 (in appropriate applications), though if someone who bakes more bread than I do can correct me if I'm wrong, but it will change both the handling (specifically, it should be easier to handle) and the outcome (crust and crumb) some.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's time for me to make bread again and I'm low on whole wheat flour. I do have a bunch of ww pastry flour though. I'm probably gonna use half and half of each and just make a single loaf since its a short work week for me. Anyway I'm probably going to need to add some gluten to hold the whole thing together. The general recommendation I've read for regular ww is 1 tbsp/cup of flour. Should that be enough to keep my bread from turning into a crumbly mess. It's also been recommended that I soak my flour. How much liquid should I use and how long should I soak it for?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've never found any benefit to adding gluten to regular whole wheat flour, I don't know how beneficial it would be for WW pastry flour. For soaking, I find 100% hydration to work well, so use all the water in your recipe and an equivalent amount of flour, then just mix in the rest later.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I made my first sourdough bread. I think my starter is still too young, there was not a lot of taste at all and not many bubbles.. :eng99:
The crust was very crunchy but a bit too thick. It was still tasty but I think I can improve.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Today I made bread for the first time ever, using king arthur no-knead bread recipe. The exception is that I used bread flour instead of all purpose flour.

Anyways pictures:

It looks a tad undercooked, but it still tastes good. 10/10 would bake again.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

Today I made bread for the first time ever, using king arthur no-knead bread recipe. The exception is that I used bread flour instead of all purpose flour.

Anyways pictures:

It looks a tad undercooked, but it still tastes good. 10/10 would bake again.

How was the density on that? And did you make any changes for the bread flour?

My rolls, though looking and tasting pretty good, were overly dense. I think it could have been that I missed the part about letting it rest before shaping, or that it was too cool/needed to rise longer.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

taiyoko posted:

How was the density on that? And did you make any changes for the bread flour?

My rolls, though looking and tasting pretty good, were overly dense. I think it could have been that I missed the part about letting it rest before shaping, or that it was too cool/needed to rise longer.

It's not dense, its kinda fluffy and airy. The crust is thick as hell and really crunchy.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
How long after feeding do you guys usually use your sourdough in a poolish?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
So I just noticed the (KitchenAid, if it matters) oven at my new place has a Bread Proof button that supposedly keeps it just under 100º. Anyone every played with something like that? Is humidity an issue? (Probably.) Will a pan of water help? (Probably not.)

Le0 posted:

I don't think there is much difference between what is called bread flour and regular AP flour, you can probably just use it in its place but maybe I'll let someone who actually use the stuff chime in.
Gluten content, but as everything, it differs on brands. Gold Medal's Bread flours feels kinda like King Arthur AP flour to me.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I picked up a Kitchenaid grain mill attachment for $5 at a thift store and was wondering if it's worth using?

What grain should I start with? Where is a good source to buy whole grains?

Does anybody have a good recipe to start with? I'm getting the feeling that fresh ground will be harder to use.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Le0 posted:

How long after feeding do you guys usually use your sourdough in a poolish?

'Bout four hours or so, but my kitchen is a little on the warm side. It'll take about 6 if it's cooler.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Obligatory Toast posted:

'Bout four hours or so, but my kitchen is a little on the warm side. It'll take about 6 if it's cooler.

How do you determine if you leave it for 4 or 6 hours? The amount that the starter rose in the jar?
I made another Sourdough when feeding my starter a few hours before baking instead of the the thing I did last time, i.e. feed several days before baking and the bread was way better with bigger holes. However I starter baking sometimes when I felt like it didn't really check my starter.

Another question, could anyone share a good hamburger buns recipe with weight of ingredients instead of cups? Most of the recipes I found are asking for cups of stuff and I prefer using grames.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Le0 posted:

How do you determine if you leave it for 4 or 6 hours? The amount that the starter rose in the jar?
I made another Sourdough when feeding my starter a few hours before baking instead of the the thing I did last time, i.e. feed several days before baking and the bread was way better with bigger holes. However I starter baking sometimes when I felt like it didn't really check my starter.

Another question, could anyone share a good hamburger buns recipe with weight of ingredients instead of cups? Most of the recipes I found are asking for cups of stuff and I prefer using grames.

Let it double, or sit over night at room temp.
Use this recipe for buns it should let you switch between cups/oz/grams.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Le0 posted:

Someone here shared this website (it's Weekend Bakery) with me and I'd like to pay it forward. It's got awesome recipes for sourdough boules and I've had the greatest success following their recipes. They also have a good recipe for kaiser buns, which can be turned into burger buns. All recipes are listed as weight.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
so i took advice here and determined my dough (simple flour + water) just needed some more and proper kneading.. and the inside is coming out fluffy and nice.

but, my crust is still hard and chewy. Im on the 2nd to last rack in my ove, (water pan under it) using a baking stone. I spent the weekend baking a large dough ball in various tests from 450 all the way down to 400 for 30-40 min until the center was done...

I can't think of anythingelse to do except cover the top with foil.. anyone ? I just want a light brown crust :(

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Pubic Lair posted:

I picked up a Kitchenaid grain mill attachment for $5 at a thift store and was wondering if it's worth using?

What grain should I start with? Where is a good source to buy whole grains?

Does anybody have a good recipe to start with? I'm getting the feeling that fresh ground will be harder to use.

Don't use just straight up grains, you have to soak them first. Otherwise you'll end up with pebbles. To this end, I recommend hitting up your local homebrew store. They have cheap barley in a wide variety of flavors and colors. I always save my leftover brewing grains to use in bread. I freeze them in 1/4 to 1/2 cup packs and toss a defrosted pack into my recipes, no modification. Definitely gotten great results from this.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Made some pizza using a quick rising dough recipe from "Cooking for Geeks"

I made it as per the book, turned out a little bit dry. Should have cut the dough in half and made two pizzas. Still it turned out OK if a bit too thick.

English muffin toasting bread first bread loaf recepie, turned out pretty good!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Roundboy posted:

so i took advice here and determined my dough (simple flour + water) just needed some more and proper kneading.. and the inside is coming out fluffy and nice.

but, my crust is still hard and chewy. Im on the 2nd to last rack in my ove, (water pan under it) using a baking stone. I spent the weekend baking a large dough ball in various tests from 450 all the way down to 400 for 30-40 min until the center was done...

I can't think of anythingelse to do except cover the top with foil.. anyone ? I just want a light brown crust :(

Try a lower baking temp for softer crust.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Le0 posted:

Cups are a unit of volume. One cup is (roughly) 237ml.

Using cups in a baking recipe is sadly common in US cookbooks, and it drives me nuts.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

ElMaligno posted:

English muffin toasting bread first bread loaf recepie, turned out pretty good!

Gonna try that then

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

White bread for the bread god!
Pans for the pans throne!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Nth ing the English muffin toasting bread. Came out awesome.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
loosely adapted pain a l'ancienne I made for banh mi:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wheez the roux posted:

Holy loving poo poo. :swoon:

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

wheez the roux posted:

Do you have a recipe? I never done banh mi and it looks delicious

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Le0 posted:

Do you have a recipe? I never done banh mi and it looks delicious

Never mind a recipe, how about some photography tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

gently caress the tips, just feed me bread