Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone have a recipe for polish bread? I'm being asked to make some and Google is being uncooperative in finding something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ldragon posted:

Anyone have a recipe for polish bread? I'm being asked to make some and Google is being uncooperative in finding something.

I'd use a normal recipe and add a tin of whatever polish you like.

And thus we learn an important lesson about capitalisation.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bolind posted:

Interesting. So, pure sourdough, no yeast? Care to post your most successful recipe?

I made a wild sourdough starter once, in my yoouf. What I learned was that a sourdough starter with wild yeast from a high-humidity swamp makes bread that tastes like a swamp!

:(

whoredog
Apr 10, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Have any of y'all tried the America's Test Kitchen recipe for no-knead brioche, the one where you use melted butter and let the dough sit for 24 hours? I'm somewhat skeptical myself but I don't have the time or equipment to make real brioche, so I want to believe.

I watched that episode just the other day, and I gotta laugh at their "no-knead" definition. Sure, you dont have to knead it for 20, but you do have to play with it several times over 90 min and then let it sit for at least a day. Then play with it more. Considering I have a stand mixer, I doubt I'll ever try it.

I have faith in ATK though, and I'm sure it comes out great.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
If you leave your main sourdough starter in the fridge and take out just like 20-30 grams of it and feed that to the amount of starter you need, it can take half a day for it to be ready to use but it will also be less acidic.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

my bread quest continues

I substituted 1c of whole wheat flour. also in keeping with the internet's advice i made babby's first lame out of a safety razor blade and a coffee stirrer but i didnt cut deep enough i dont think. crust is great and it toasts up amazingly

Any hints/resources for shaping the dough? This one turned out great because I didn't divide the dough at all but when I've divided my nice round risen dough into multiple loaves i have trouble getting them to come out loaf shaped

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 20, 2015

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I made another bread! Officially addicted. 40% wheat hearth bread from FWSY:

Formula:
    60-40 bread flour to whole wheat flour
    80% water
    2.2% salt
    3/4 t yeast

Very happy with this one, and the method described in FWSY in general. I will probably try to increase the hydration even more next time around in the hopes of a more open crumb, but this is still the favorite loaf I've made so far.

Unrelated question: I have been working on a seed culture for a sourdough barm per the instructions in BBA, and as of day 4, I am still seeing no rise although the culture definitely has bubbles on the surface and smells acetic. Could it be that it's too wet to rise properly, or that it just needs more time?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
try feeding it and see if that gives you a rise

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

The Goatfather posted:

my bread quest continues

I substituted 1c of whole wheat flour. also in keeping with the internet's advice i made babby's first lame out of a safety razor blade and a coffee stirrer but i didnt cut deep enough i dont think. crust is great and it toasts up amazingly

Any hints/resources for shaping the dough? This one turned out great because I didn't divide the dough at all but when I've divided my nice round risen dough into multiple loaves i have trouble getting them to come out loaf shaped

For shaping, I find using a banneton helpful for keeping the shape during the second rise. You also want to get some good tension on the outside of the dough, for boules, pull 2/3 into the center, then pull the last third all the way around so the seams are on the bottom. Then cup your hands and pull the boule towards you to develop tension and seal the seams. Repeat a few times until it feels good, then deposit top down in a banneton or bowl lined with a well floured cloth.

I don't use a lame, and have better results personally using a sharp chefs knife. The important thing is to cut with confidence (easier said than done). Anyway good luck, bread is fun even when it doesn't come out perfect.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
Just a note if you want soft rolls, bake at the very hottest heat for say 10 mins. If you want crusty, lower temp, longer time.

Unintuitive but it cracked my life long quest of learning how to make soft rolls!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moey posted:

Seconding this, except for I am up the hill from him at like 9700'

Quoting myself. If anyone has any experience, please let me know. If not I'll start dabbling on my own and post some trial and error.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Moey posted:

Quoting myself. If anyone has any experience, please let me know. If not I'll start dabbling on my own and post some trial and error.

If you look one post above your quoted one, I laid out some general guidelines from my own experience baking in Denver along with a link to the King Arthur page on the topic. I don't think it's really productive to give a "pre-adjusted" recipe because the adjustments, while simple, will also be different based on your altitude. Once you understand why you are adjusting things, it's easier to troubleshoot for your own altitude.

Best advice I can give is to pick a recipe that sounds interesting to you and try to prepare it by the book with only slight adjustments (i.e. increase suggested oven temp by 25* and shorten bake time by 5-8 minutes), and see how it comes out. From there, you can continue to tweak things to get a better product.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mikey Purp posted:

If you look one post above your quoted one, I laid out some general guidelines from my own experience baking in Denver along with a link to the King Arthur page on the topic.

Thank you sir. I'm an idiot and missed that.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Challah is amazing and I will fight anyone who disagrees. My preferred version is actually 50% whole wheat, though. It's a little healthier while still being ridiculously delicious.

A week ago I also made a very 'monastic' sort of beer bread, with rolled oats mixed in. It was pretty tasty!

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I also have a question for those who know about preferments - not sourdough, but bigas, poolishes, sponges, etc.

How long should they develop before adding in the rest of the ingredients? I'm currently developing a sponge and am planning on using it after 18 hours. Is that too long?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Rollofthedice posted:

I also have a question for those who know about preferments - not sourdough, but bigas, poolishes, sponges, etc.

How long should they develop before adding in the rest of the ingredients? I'm currently developing a sponge and am planning on using it after 18 hours. Is that too long?

Most bread books go over the different preferments in some detail, but my general rule of thumb is no less than 8 hours and no more than 24.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I made this easy no-knead dough last night. I've made it a couple times and my mind just blanked and I threw it in the fridge right away, rather than letting it rise for the 12-24 hours. I took it out this morning and it'll be sitting at room temperature all day today; have I irreparably failed the recipe, or will it be okay?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

I made this easy no-knead dough last night. I've made it a couple times and my mind just blanked and I threw it in the fridge right away, rather than letting it rise for the 12-24 hours. I took it out this morning and it'll be sitting at room temperature all day today; have I irreparably failed the recipe, or will it be okay?

I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. Maybe even better for the long, slow ferment!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

PatMarshall posted:

For shaping, I find using a banneton helpful for keeping the shape during the second rise. You also want to get some good tension on the outside of the dough, for boules, pull 2/3 into the center, then pull the last third all the way around so the seams are on the bottom. Then cup your hands and pull the boule towards you to develop tension and seal the seams. Repeat a few times until it feels good, then deposit top down in a banneton or bowl lined with a well floured cloth.

I don't use a lame, and have better results personally using a sharp chefs knife. The important thing is to cut with confidence (easier said than done). Anyway good luck, bread is fun even when it doesn't come out perfect.

i found this video to be helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmTPL2J8OZk
I made a double batch yesterday (actually found it to be much easier to knead with twice the dough) and split it up into 2 boules and while they're not perfect, they look like boules with cancer instead of shapeless breadblobs. progress

ive been making that "french style country bread" once a week for all my daily bread needs, using 1/3 whole wheat flour and a bit less than prescribed for a wet+sticky dough that's easy to slap+fold. It makes an insanely good european style crusty crust in my ghetto brick oven setup (though I've learned that I really have to give the tiles and the oven 2-3 hours to preheat or the crust suffers immensely). After some experimentation with tile configurations in the oven I've had the best luck with a large 3x4 surface of tiles both above and below the bread. The top crust doesn't come out nearly as good without the second layer of tiles above. I think I might be benefiting from some thermodynamic weirdness since the only heating element and presumably the thermocouple wind up in a pocket of air at the top of the oven and it will never, ever make it to 500 degrees (stays preheating at 480-490 for hours). If I take out the top tiles it'll preheat to 500 and the top crust will be lacking.

Further general questions:
1.) king arthur bread flour vs store brand bread flour: do I care?
2.) Spraying the bottom of the oven for crust purposes: some things say to do it every 2 minutes but this would waste a ton of heat. Some say to mist when you put it in but not to open the oven again for the first 12 minutes. Some say to put a pan of boiling water in the bottom of the oven. what do i do
3.) This bread recipe calls for "3/4 teaspoon active dry or 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast" but only in the dough (not the poolish). Is there a (pseudo)scientific reason for this? I'm using active dry yeast and my little jar of yeasts are overachievers so I cut it back to 1/2tsp anyway

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 2, 2015

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

During the Christmas season I bake Stollen with my grandma using a family recipe. It's an all day ordeal. First we bulk ferment, which takes an hour and a half. Then we make the dough, knead the poo poo out of it, and let it rise for two hours. Then we separate it into three loaves, knead it more, and let it rise another hour and a half. Think a cold proofing would work? Bulk ferment, knead, cold proof for a day, knead it, cold proof another day, then bake? I'm not sure, but being able to do it over a few days would be really nice.

It turns out really well the way we usually do it, it's just a pain in the rear end and gram is getting close to 90 so easier is better.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Does anyone have a recipe for chocolate babka that they can share? I want to try to make some but there's so many different options.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So I semi-accidentally made an almost 100% hydration pure spelt bread (no whole grain.). Turned out well, if slightly under baked. Good taste, could've used a more crunchy crust, but for sure edible.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I need a good pan dulce recipe. Any goons got one?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shnooks posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for chocolate babka that they can share? I want to try to make some but there's so many different options.

This is the one I was GOING to make: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chocolate-babka-236707

Note: I've never made bread/babka before and I actually came across that recipe while trying to clone the whiskey pecan babka from Arcade Bakery in NYC: http://agirlnamedpj.com/arcade-bakery-best-babka-nyc/

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Nicol Bolas posted:

Xposted from the general questions thread:

So enriched breads. I have vegans coming for Thanksgiving and want to make some sweet potato knots vegan-style. (Specifically this recipe which worked great as written last year.) Obviously the milk converts simply to whatever nut milk, but the egg yolks give me pause. How can I replace them?

A bit late, but a trip report: flax to replace 1 eggs + a little additional fat (in the form of oil) worked out great! The sugar in the soy milk gave the recipe a really vigorous rise, too, and the flax flavor was great. Might just make this with flax all the time so I don't have to separate eggs.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone has a lead on silicone bread "tins" that can withstand more than 230C (250+ preferably) without giving off 27-syllable compounds that'll make my sperm cells glow bright green and only swim in useless circles?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

Also... this is one of my most recent fuckups.

70% hydration, 40/40/20 rye/stone ground whole white wheat/whole grain durum, first rise 6h, second 16h, raised in couche, baked at 280*c on a stone for 15 minutes. (steamed at 0m and at 2m).

Good crumb, not happy with crust..

Excellent taste

need'em crumb pics

those look miles better than any bread I've ever done though, good job. (also gently caress bread, it's the devil's work)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
he posts, full of jealousy and spite, in the bread thread

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.

The Goatfather posted:

Further general questions:
1.) king arthur bread flour vs store brand bread flour: do I care?

get a bag to experiment and see which you like better. you've made it enough times to be able to judge well. just know in general KA flours are a little more thirsty than other brands.

quote:

2.) Spraying the bottom of the oven for crust purposes: some things say to do it every 2 minutes but this would waste a ton of heat. Some say to mist when you put it in but not to open the oven again for the first 12 minutes. Some say to put a pan of boiling water in the bottom of the oven. what do i do

your oven/brick setup sounds kind of elaborate. do you have a place for another pan? i have a 7" cast iron on the rack under the stones that i only use for bread making that preheats while the oven/stones do, and throw in about a cup of very hot water when i put the bread in. then i do 4-5 big mists from a spray bottle over the loaves themselves before closing the door. it seems to create enough steam to last those first 12 minutes. everyone's oven is different. the main goal is just to get a bunch of steam in there, somehow. are you just using mist?

you could try just making this in a dutch oven. it works as its own steam for the first part of baking and then you wouldn't have to preheat for so long.

quote:

3.) This bread recipe calls for "3/4 teaspoon active dry or 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast" but only in the dough (not the poolish). Is there a (pseudo)scientific reason for this? I'm using active dry yeast and my little jar of yeasts are overachievers so I cut it back to 1/2tsp anyway

as far as i can tell, the poolish's mostly for the flour to get a head start on the flavor going.

Chicolini fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 11, 2015

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

bolind posted:

Anyone has a lead on silicone bread "tins" that can withstand more than 230C (250+ preferably) without giving off 27-syllable compounds that'll make my sperm cells glow bright green and only swim in useless circles?

Sounds like Demarle's Silform are what you want. They're molds made out of a silicon mesh that works great with breads. They're pricey, but pretty much the best thing for this.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I'm looking for advice on a fresh to dry yeast conversion. I am following the recipe for pizza dough in the fancy new Gjelina book.

To make three 185g dough balls (555g total) it calls for "3g baker's compressed fresh yeast". Various online sources say the fresh to dry conversion ratio is somewhere between 2:1 to 4:1. I'm not so much worried about the ambiguity as much as how tiny an amount of dry yeast this appears to be!

The most generous conversion would be 1.5g dry yeast which is less than a quarter of a dry yeast packet... surely this is too little? Most pizza dough recipes I've followed call for an entire packet. Hopefully it is obvious by now that I do not know the science of baking so if I'm missing the point and this conversion is fine please do let me know!

I'm already rolling my eyes at the hilarious specificity of the recipe. It calls for a measured mix of two types of flour to be shaped into a specific pile used on the surface when you are finally forming the dough into discs. One is also supposed to do the entire thing at 80 degrees.... let me just crank the heat up 12 degrees guys no problem. I'm shocked the actual baking doesn't call for a wood fired oven. :rolleyes:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Seems low but workable - I would expect 5ish hours total rising time on 1.5g of IDY and 500g of dough. I dont know what an 80 degree proof looks like, that might be why it is so low.

Edit: maybe more, 6 or 7 hours? Either way, lots of recipes call for way too much yeast...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
When exploring the very edge of hydration levels, type of flour makes a difference, it turns out.

Threw caution to the wind and made a 100% hydration dough with some good quality but nonetheless run-of-the-mill wheat flour and the results were :mediocre:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

bolind posted:

When exploring the very edge of hydration levels, type of flour makes a difference, it turns out.

Threw caution to the wind and made a 100% hydration dough with some good quality but nonetheless run-of-the-mill wheat flour and the results were :mediocre:

I was just thinking about trying this the other day. What was mediocre about it, and what would you change?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Well, less water.

There seems to be a point where the dough goes from a very, very soft chewing gum like consistency to outright porridge. I kneaded it for a long time, before I've been amazed by what long knead times can do, but here there was no improvement.
The result was a denser bread than usual with a sticky crumb that left goo all over the bread knife. I even tried upping the bake time quite a bit, but still goo.
So now I'm back to my beloved Øland wheat which is amazing!

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I finally followed the actual Tartine recipe today, poo poo came out awesome. Been using a recipe I can't find anymore that was based on it but it never came out amazing. Using a dutch oven this time probably was a good part of it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I got the tartine book for xmas! I actually opened it a few days before christmas by mistake when it came in the mail and started my starter. I've ordered a dutch oven but it's not here yet so I thought I'd make a batch with my brick oven setup for comparison. I proofed the book way in bowls lined with heavily floured towels (normally I just proof on the counter on parchment paper) and there was some sticking especially on the left loaf which made them a little less round than I'd like, but

This was the hosed up loaf, a a little lopsided, but still delicious:

Here's the nice one:

nom

this is best bread I've made to date. cant wait to try it in the dutch oven

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Eeyo posted:

Made some pitas a few nights ago. They actually freeze fairly well. Covered the cooled pitas with plastic wrap and froze. Then I took however many I wanted out in the morning and they were defrosted and ready to eat for lunch at work. I made enough for 2 pitas for each day's lunch, should be enough.

Only problem was that it took a while since I baked on my hot steel pan. Is it necessary to bake pitas on a hot pan/stone? They also maintained their super puffed shape very well after baking and didn't brown very much. Any pita tips?

A bit late but ive had good success using an electric griddle at max temp (450 ish degrees) Much more convenient that the oven.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I got my dutch oven! First attempt:

one of the scores on right loaf didn't take so it ended up a little lopsided but holy poo poo left loaf is perfect

gotta get me a couple of bannetons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. Okay, maybe mice. Just tell yourself that, when you hear crashing in your kitchen. It's certainly not me stealing your bread.