Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The trick to getting an ear is the angle you hold the lame at. The closer the edge is to parallel to the floor the more pronounced the ear will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm posting this in a few threads so I can get as many ideas as possible.

I want to bake bread that's shaped like a cruise ship. What's my best bet for making an oven safe, food safe mold? It doesn't have to be super intricate or detailed, but I want the basic shape, at least.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm posting this in a few threads so I can get as many ideas as possible.

I want to bake bread that's shaped like a cruise ship. What's my best bet for making an oven safe, food safe mold? It doesn't have to be super intricate or detailed, but I want the basic shape, at least.

How big does it have to be? I think you could mould tinfoil into a baking pan and then line with parchment to get the bottom shape at least but that would make it pretty small.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I've seen two variations in baking sourdough, using steam vs. not. Was watching this Paul Hollywood ep (https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jbbfz @ ~8:17 ) for the non-steam version. Will I get more rise with steam? My starter is almost ready and I don't know what I'm doing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you will, steam inhibits crust formation which allows for more rise.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So what exactly is DMP? I tried a round of bagels this weekend and for fun decided to top off the sponge with some fresh ground red wheat rather than more bread. The fridge fermented more than I ever had had it in the past for bagels. If I attempt this again, and in general, if I use fresh ground should I then ditch any DMP in any recipe?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

yoshesque posted:

So I’m pretty certain my issues with my oven spring and slashing are to do with my shaping technique. Does anyone have any videos showing how to shape high hydration boules? (pic is a sweet potato rosemary loaf)

I recently got a baking steel, so I’ve been baking bread on that, in addition to steaming my oven with towels. I couldn’t go past making some sourdough pizzas though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEG1BjWroT0

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I got an email from King Arthur flour they are doing a 9 week bake the bag program

King Arthur Flour posted:

We send you a new recipe every week; you bake and enjoy. It’s simple as that.

By the time you’re done, you’ll have baked your way through an entire 5-pound bag of white whole wheat flour. No leftover half-used bag of flour to fret about; just delicious memories — and some favorite new recipes.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/bak...ww-announcement

Thought some here might be interested in it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Fretting about a leftover half-used bag of flour is a pretty odd thing to do

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Tbh I do have a partial bag of white whole wheat lying around, because either I use white or whole wheat, so I haven't had a ton of use for it. I'm not doing the full program, but while the weather is decent, I'll do a few of the recipes.

From the shopping list, it looks like only 1 or 2 of the recipes include yeast, so it might be better in the general thread? Week 1 is banana bread, week 2 is chocolate chip cookies.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

So apologies if this gets asked all the time, but I have a rattan proofing basket that is grimy with old flour that has been moistened and left to dry.

Generally, I spray the thing down with white vinegar and then take a cheap paring knife and run it down the entire length of the basket, through all the grooves, to remove all the solidified flour. This takes a long time and is not entirely effective and I'm sure it will eventually destroy the basket. Is there a better way? Should I be using a lipid as the solvent and not an acid? What am I doing wrong?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Made some more traditional rye bread:

The holes I stamped out with a glass, they make for small rolls, they are a favorite of kids because they're just so drat good when fresh out of the oven.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Hello bread thread! I recently started making shokupan regularly for our daily bread needs. We were keeping it in normal plastic bags or containers for 1-2 days then freezing it. I had wanted a bread bin for ages but could never quite bear to fork out the cash for it (why are they all so expensive) until I saw this:

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/bread-bin-with-cutting-board/2110309

Bread now stays nice from the day I bake until the day it's finished, no freezing needed. Yay!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

betaraywil posted:

So apologies if this gets asked all the time, but I have a rattan proofing basket that is grimy with old flour that has been moistened and left to dry.

Generally, I spray the thing down with white vinegar and then take a cheap paring knife and run it down the entire length of the basket, through all the grooves, to remove all the solidified flour. This takes a long time and is not entirely effective and I'm sure it will eventually destroy the basket. Is there a better way? Should I be using a lipid as the solvent and not an acid? What am I doing wrong?

I thought you were just supposed to tap/wipe it out at most and leave the remnants of the flour in there. Haven't had any problems yet with that approach, and I don't think you should moisten the flour more than the dough already does.

If you're actually seeing or smelling bad things though, I'd throw it out and get a new one.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I spritzed the banneton once to get the initial coat of flour to stick and never since then.

I think FWSY just says to leave it alone and not clean it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pantry moths love a well-seasoned banneton and will lay nice orderly rows of eggs inside the grooves :gonk:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

At every bakery I've worked in that uses them we always just took a stiff bristle brush to them at the end of the day.
The health dept at the one in WV I worked in couldn't wrap their head around that one they wanted us to wash them every day. We'd just hide the bannetons whenever they pulled into the parking lot.
You could vacuum them too if you really wanted to get all the flour out.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

poverty goat posted:

Pantry moths love a well-seasoned banneton and will lay nice orderly rows of eggs inside the grooves :gonk:

:gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

Alright, leaving it be unless and until something catastrophic happens. Thanks!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have been trying some biscuits out of the Joy of Cooking. I like the buttermilk biscuits but it's not something I keep on hand. Does anyone have tips or a recipe for making biscuits similar to buttermilk ones with "normal" staples like milk, eggs, butter, flour, or at least other shelf stable ingredients? Buttermilk goes bad too fast for how little I use it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I have been trying some biscuits out of the Joy of Cooking. I like the buttermilk biscuits but it's not something I keep on hand. Does anyone have tips or a recipe for making biscuits similar to buttermilk ones with "normal" staples like milk, eggs, butter, flour, or at least other shelf stable ingredients? Buttermilk goes bad too fast for how little I use it.

This is more bread than biscuit but it's by far the most biscuity bread I've made: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-buns-recipe

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

This seems like a pretty relevant article, including testing with biscuits: https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/04/how-to-substitute-buttermilk.html

Their conclusion is that kefir and yogurt make the best substitutes.

P.s. I have personally substituted yogurt when making biscuits and it turned out great.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 13, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I keep powdered buttermilk on hand. A++

Serious Eats' only complaint is that the texture is too thin. But you can always reconstitute it with more powder and/or less water.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

It's probably also worth noting that buttermilk freezes well, so buying normal buttermilk might be worth it if you plan on using it occasionally.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ooooh a lot of things to try, awesome and thanks.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

has every grocery store everywhere stopped stocking rye flour? has there been a recall or something? around the new year every store in virginia beach apparently stopped stocking rye flour altogether, except whole foods, which has 1lb4oz bags for Iike $4. Every grocery store. I think I checked everything in the region except kroger :wtc:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I like to eat (cultured) buttermilk with musli or corn flakes, even like to drink it straight.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
My buttermilk goes to the opera

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
RIP my starter?

Since I moved house in May and it spent a few weeks neglected in the fridge, it was much slower to ferment than usual, and despite me pitching and feeding every couple of days (after i'd watched it rise and fall) for the past two months to try to bring it back to health, this didn't improve.

Couple of weekends ago I made bread successfully with it, though the bulk took an extra few hours despite it being 25c/77f+ indoors.

After taking 40g to make a levain, I fed it as per usual and since then there's been some minor signs of activity but it's basically ground to a halt. It still smells sour-ish, but there's very little activity of note, and despite leaving it out the past few days, no real bubbles/rise/change in smell have appeared as per the usual cycle, no hooch developing or anything.

How could this have happened? Seems odd that it had enough life in it to make bread with but then die shortly afterwards.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing like fresh baked pain au chocolat made from scratch with cultured butter and rich dark chocolate.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

baquerd posted:

Nothing like fresh baked pain au chocolat made from scratch with cultured butter and rich dark chocolate.

Nice

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

poverty goat posted:

has every grocery store everywhere stopped stocking rye flour? has there been a recall or something? around the new year every store in virginia beach apparently stopped stocking rye flour altogether, except whole foods, which has 1lb4oz bags for Iike $4. Every grocery store. I think I checked everything in the region except kroger :wtc:

Yeah, I live in NYC in a neighborhood with 70-year-old open air fruit markets and poo poo and I still have to send away for rye flower. Truly we have abandoned our roots.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think Bob's Red stopped doing 5lb of rye and that's what I used to see at the store.

My local rye berry vendor is out of business too so my ~20 lbs are used sparingly. I really want to feed my starter some rye but it's just too valuable right now.

/e- I recall reading that Bob, the cranky old man who used to run his Red's Mill, just hangs around and bitches about how the employees are running it. I tend to agree with Bob. I don't recall seeing anything aside from the 20oz bags for a while.

/ee - yep they axed the 5 lb bag

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 17, 2018

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

The got rid of Bob? The ingrates.

I got mine from King Arthur, though it also tops out at 3 lb bags. But I think they do a 3-pack of 3 lb bags, at least.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I just buy it in bulk from winco. I think it's Bob's anyway.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any croissant experts in here? I'm wondering what I need to do differently to get to full honeycomb - another fold or a different technique? Also, they were a little dense - just more cooking time?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/DailyBreadLoaf/status/1030939758308904960?s=19

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

baquerd posted:

Any croissant experts in here? I'm wondering what I need to do differently to get to full honeycomb - another fold or a different technique? Also, they were a little dense - just more cooking time?

I'm not a croissant expert, but how many times have you made croissants? I would ask myself:

How many folds are you doing? More will obviously give you more layers, but it's an exponential thing so you don't need a ton.

How much are you working the dough? Bare minimum.

Are you using your hands or a pin? French pin.

What temperature is the room when you're working it? Cooler. Summer can be hard for croissants, I've been told, if you're not air conditioning your kitchen. (I have never made them in the summer.)

Where are things falling apart? The center? Other parts of the laminate?

In my experience, croissants are about practice, clean folds and sharp corners, practice, keeping the dough cool when working it, practice, working the dough as little as humanly possible, and practice.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 21, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I agree with all of the above. Speed is paramount when working with laminated dough. Go for 5 folds and once you're comfortable with the process, add one more. The thinner layers are easier to mess up if you overwork or overthaw the dough, so it's easier to start with fewer folds. One way to become more adept at manipulating croissants is to make multiple batches at once of dead dough, then assembly line fold so you can double or triple your practice efficiency - it doesn't quite feel the same, but close enough.

Practice. Don't mess up. Be precise. Be fast. If you take too long on any step, just put everything back in the fridge and try again later.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hey girl you up posted:

I'm not a croissant expert, but how many times have you made croissants? I would ask myself:

How many folds are you doing? More will obviously give you more layers, but it's an exponential thing so you don't need a ton.

How much are you working the dough? Bare minimum.

Are you using your hands or a pin? French pin.

What temperature is the room when you're working it? Cooler. Summer can be hard for croissants, I've been told, if you're not air conditioning your kitchen. (I have never made them in the summer.)

Where are things falling apart? The center? Other parts of the laminate?

In my experience, croissants are about practice, clean folds and sharp corners, practice, keeping the dough cool when working it, practice, working the dough as little as humanly possible, and practice.

I've only made them a few times. You can see the crumb above, it's got really clearly defined layers throughout, but the layers are a bit denser than I'd like and don't connect to each other. Others have mentioned it is likely that the butter got too warm, but I wonder if that is the only issue. I may also try another fold like Symmetry suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

baquerd posted:

I've only made them a few times. You can see the crumb above, it's got really clearly defined layers throughout, but the layers are a bit denser than I'd like and don't connect to each other. Others have mentioned it is likely that the butter got too warm, but I wonder if that is the only issue. I may also try another fold like Symmetry suggested.

How many folds are you doing? 4-4-3 or 4-3-3 it typical, a 4-fold being a book fold and a 3-fold being an envelope fold. Going off your picture alone, your butter got too hot when you were rolling one of the layers. As you practice more, you'll start to feel the butter inside gently spreading when it's the right temperature, even with a gentle press of the finger. If it smears, it's too hot and should go back in the cooler right away, if it breaks, let it sit for 4-5 minutes.