Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Are you taking a small sample of your starter for a fresh feeding before using it in a recipe, or just using it as is? What hydration ratio are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’m doing a weekend sourdough marathon as well. These loaves are the same recipe. The flatter, darker one was done with unfed starter. I think I fed it about 2 weeks ago. The starter used in the taller one with the nice golden crust was fed twice over 24 hours and left on the counter to rise at about 65F. KA flour.

Also I think I put too much flour on the outside of the lower quality loaf.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 17, 2019

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Jan posted:

Are you taking a small sample of your starter for a fresh feeding before using it in a recipe, or just using it as is? What hydration ratio are you using?

Yes. I mix 45 grams of starter with 45 grams of wheat flour, 45 grams of white, and 90 grams of water. I let that sit, covered, for 6 hours at 75 degrees. It gets kind of spongy (like a poolish?), but it doesn't get too much larger.

Hydration is 66%. 1000 grams of flour (75% white/25% wheat) with 660 grams of water. It gets autolysed for 30 minutes, then I add the starter (180 grams) plus 20 grams of salt.

Bulk fermentation is 4 hours at 75 degrees. 3 folds in the first 90 minutes. Then shaping and into the fridge for ~12 hours.

I bake the next morning at 500 degrees. 20 minutes covered in a Dutch oven, 25 minutes uncovered.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Hell Yeah posted:

95% KA bread flour, 5% KA white whole wheat. 75% hydration, dutch oven method

I'm quoting Hell Yeah's post, because that's the kind of crumb I like. Chewy strands of gluten with big airy holes throughout. Hopefully with a crispy but very thin crust. Compare to what came out of my oven this morning:

I can make that using store-bought yeast and Ken Forkish's Saturday White Bread recipe. I want to replicate that with sourdough.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Tartine Bread posted:

Ingredients

3 eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
zest of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk

2 slices day-old country bread, cut into 1 1/2-inch thick slices
2 tablespoons butter

Instructions

Whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, salt and milk. Place the bread slices in the custard base and let stand until the bread is saturated, about 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place rack in middle of oven.
Heat an oven-proof skillet (cast-iron skillet works great) over medium-low heat. Melt the butter to coat the bottom of the pan. Lift each bread slice from the custard base and place in the pan. Cook the slices for about 3 minutes, occasionally pressing them against the bottom of the pan with a spatula so the bottoms cook evenly. This step seals the bottoms of the slices by cooking the outer layer of custard base. It also prepares the bread for receiving more custard base.
Spoon or ladle more custard base into the center of each bread slice. If the liquid leaks out of the bread and onto the skillet, the bread slices are not quite sealed. Continue cooking for 1 minute, pressing the slices slightly to seal. Transfer the skillet to the oven’s middle rack — do not flip over the slices.
Bake the slices for 12 to 15 minutes. The French toast is done when the custard seems solid and each slice appears inflated, as the custard souflées when fully cooked.
Using a spatula, remove the French toast from the skillet and place them, caramelized-side up onto plates. The skillet side should be caramelized and crisp.

just saying

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
French toast?

Derrrr. It says french toast, it's just a fancy version.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bagheera posted:

Yes. I mix 45 grams of starter with 45 grams of wheat flour, 45 grams of white, and 90 grams of water. I let that sit, covered, for 6 hours at 75 degrees. It gets kind of spongy (like a poolish?), but it doesn't get too much larger.

If you're concerned about your starter specifically, the best change I've had is adopting Ken Forkish's levain proportions to the letter. Initially I thought it was a waste to discard 3/4 of the starter every time, but I went from having a boozy, liquid starter to a very bubbly culture that can easily double in volume and hold that way for a long time. At 1 recipe/2 loaves per weekend, FWSY's proportions are still more starter than I care to have, so I usually do:

50g starter out of the fridge
25g whole wheat
100g AP
100g water

then, the next morning, add:
50g whole wheat
200g AP
200g water

As soon as I get home in the evening (usually 8-10 hours later), I start the rest of the process, pretty much in the same numbers you describe: 30 minute autolyse, 4 hour bulk fermentation (though I space out the folds until the 3 hour mark), overnight proofing.

For getting an airy, bubbly crumb, I'm still just beginning this sourdough adventure so my sample size is small, but I've had exactly that when using the FWSY's hybrid dough.

Original content: I've been trying to reproduce my hometown's Montreal style bagels, without much success. I took a break for that to try sourdough bread and since I had too much starter, I decided to experiment mixing both! :science:

All the top recipes out there give fluffy New York trash bagel results, and I wanted something more dense and complex flavoured... which sounds right up sourdough's alley. I started from the recipe I usually experimented with and factored in sourdough:

30 minute autolyse for the flour and water, mixed in the (active dry) yeast with a bit of warm water separately to activate it. Added the egg, sugar, salt, maple syrup but no matter how much I mixed, folded or kneaded, it just wouldn't incorporate smoothly. I'd get some goopy strands of flour mix bathing in an egg solution. Adding 40g flour allowed me to knead into something more like a stiff bagel dough.

After kneading, I left half of the dough at room temperature for a 2 hour bulk ferment, and the other half overnight for a retarded 12 hour bulk ferment. Both batches were baked in the same way: Boiled for ~2-3 minutes in a honey + water mix, then dipped in sesame seeds, and in the 425F oven for ~8 minutes on each side. No proofing period, I want that poo poo to be dense. And as it turns out, boiling does a fine job of puffing the bagels up into the desired shape.

I didn't take in-progress pictures as this is still a work in progress, but I'm pretty pleased with the results:

The bagels are definitely not sweet enough, though. The overnight batch definitely had a more complex taste and a hint of sweetness from the slowed sourdough ferment, and while it tastes good on its own, it's not a Montreal bagel yet. And writing this up made me realise, I can't remember actually mixing in the sugar.

:negative:

I'll have to try again with the added 40g flour, and actually making sure I dump in the sugar this time.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Bagheera posted:

Hydration is 66%. 1000 grams of flour (75% white/25% wheat) with 660 grams of water. It gets autolysed for 30 minutes, then I add the starter (180 grams) plus 20 grams of salt.

Bulk fermentation is 4 hours at 75 degrees. 3 folds in the first 90 minutes. Then shaping and into the fridge for ~12 hours.

I bake the next morning at 500 degrees. 20 minutes covered in a Dutch oven, 25 minutes uncovered.

I do equal parts water and flour when I feed (usually 50-100g each), but always more than half white flour, and that’s feeding the starter when it’s more than 200g total (usually). After a few hours at room temperature it’s churning and bubbling almost like a slow boil and pushing the lid of the container up. I also use a bit of rye flour when I feed it, never more than 25%. Then I take my 180g from that.

What elevation are you at? I improved mine by shortening the uncovered bake to 12 minutes and extending covered time to 30 minutes. Also dropped my temperature to 475. This is all at 5000 feet.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks for all the advice. I've gone back to regular yeast bread for now. My third sourdough starter turned vinegary no matter what I did. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but I still can learn a lot using store-bought yeast. I'm working my through "straight breads" in Flour Water Yeast Salt. Prepping a poolish tonight. After that I'm going to try my hand at challah.

What's the thread's opinion on Joshua Weismann's YouTube channel? He reminds a lot of Binging With Babbish, both in his video format and in making complex recipes easy to follow. Any fans or detractors in this thread?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Bagheera posted:

Thanks for all the advice. I've gone back to regular yeast bread for now. My third sourdough starter turned vinegary no matter what I did. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but I still can learn a lot using store-bought yeast. I'm working my through "straight breads" in Flour Water Yeast Salt. Prepping a poolish tonight. After that I'm going to try my hand at challah.

What's the thread's opinion on Joshua Weismann's YouTube channel? He reminds a lot of Binging With Babbish, both in his video format and in making complex recipes easy to follow. Any fans or detractors in this thread?

If this an issue? Mine smells slightly off vinegar and has been making great bread

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What's the purpose of tossing most of the levain every day in FYSY's levain building method?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i was baking with a starter for a while. honestly i went back to yeast because of what a pain in the rear end it was.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Splinter posted:

What's the purpose of tossing most of the levain every day in FYSY's levain building method?
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure it's just because you keep adding to it and it would be unmanageable in size very quickly.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure it's just because you keep adding to it and it would be unmanageable in size very quickly.

If that was the case, it wouldn't have you chucking 80% of it every time.

I haven't experimented to confirm, but from a layperson's understanding of biology, I believe starting from a smaller "seed" when feeding and adding a lot of nutrient (flour) makes for a much more active levain culture. You essentially have a small amount of yeast and give it large amounts of nutrient, so it'll multiply a lot faster and give you more "fresh" yeast than if you didn't remove a lot of it.

That definitely seems to match my experience as I started by just adding a small amount of flour + water every day without throwing anything out and would get a small (~50% volume) and brief rise. Since switching to the discard + feed approach, I get more like a 200% rise where the peak lasts a few hours. That also makes it easier to take a levain sample right as the culture is most active.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Jan posted:

If that was the case, it wouldn't have you chucking 80% of it every time.

If you don’t want to chuck 80% you can just feed 5x the normal amount and get the same type of growth. That’s way too fuckin much for home use but I bet bakeries use huge quantities.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Splinter posted:

I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer, but I comment that I was surprised at how much of it Ken Fornish throws out in FWSY. Most places said to remove the same amount you put in. As in, take out 200 grams then add 100g water/100g flour. In Flour Water Salt Yeast, Fornish throws out almost all of it. Only a little scum in the bottom remains.

See this You Tube video for an example. I'm sure he knows what he's doing. I was just surprised by how much he threw out.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
FWSY overnight 50% wheat

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 11, 2019

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

When you're using a starter everyday it isn't so much of an issue. You use the starter in the morning to make your doughs and feed it before you leave at night and it's ready to do it all again the next day.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hi bread thread!

I made my first bread last weekend- a no-knead in a dutch oven, and I was really happy with it.

This weekend, I wanted to try making a slicing loaf/sandwich bread, and while I’m pretty happy with it, I’m trying to do some troubleshooting. It doesn’t have big airholes, so condiments don’t slop through, but it’s a bit denser than I’d like around the base of the loaf. Also, the top crust is a little on the brittle side, and didn’t stay as pliable as the sides and base of the loaf. It’s a bit pallid, but I figure to not expect the same gorgeous crust as the dutch oven bread.

- I used this recipe: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/honey-oat-pain-de-mie-recipe
- Because it’s what I had, I baked it in a glass 9”x5” loaf pan per the alternate instructions, my guess is this is probably related to some of my problems
- I accidentally bonked the top of the loaf when I checked on it, pretty sure that’s the big dimple in the picture

I’m very unfamiliar with bread baking, so I really appreciate any feedback!

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Just started making bread and absolutely love it!
First loaf (didn't get a better picture because it was devoured too quickly)

Does anyone have a recommendation for baby's first gluten-free bread?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

From what I've seen on IG getting the right gum/binder/whatever is quite important so go with a premix "flour" blend. I have no desire or need to go down that rabbit hole though.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

gluten free bread is not bread.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I tried to toast some gluten free "bread" back when the doctor put my girlfriend on a gluten free diet for a while. The bread melted like styrofoam, it was the weirdest think I ever saw.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
I seem to remember reading that the slow gluten development that occurs in no-knead sourdough is much easier to digest for people with [varying degrees of] gluten intolerance.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jan posted:

Unless you have a professional baking oven, a highly convective container like a dutch oven is the best way to get the high humidity and radiant heat you want to get a good, golden loaf. There's lots of literature on that subject out there, but here's a good side by side comparison: https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2017/02/21/bread-baking-dutch-oven/

Seriously, this is the best improvement you can make for your home bread baking. :science:
I’ve tried my first bake with a Dutch oven and I made a bunch of mistakes (which is why I’m omitted pictures this time): the dough was sticking to the baking paper and I overfloured the outside: also I think I need to adjust the temperature because I had to bake like 20 minutes more than I was used to without the Dutch oven, but that might be because I didn’t preheat it enough. Still, steps forward

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Anything I should know about baking with malt flour? I have to make my own mix of malt and normal flour, so I just assume that I shouldn't go overboard with the malt.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Hell Yeah posted:

gluten free bread is not bread.

tortillas are bread.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

poverty goat posted:

tortillas are bread.

Does that make tacos sandwiches then?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
sandwiches have two unconnected pieces of bread

tacos are pizza

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Soricidus posted:

tacos are pizza

So you're saying a quesadilla is a sandwich?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Soricidus posted:

tacos are pizza

Then what are open faced sandwiches? Are pizzas not such a thing?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Soricidus posted:

tacos are pizza

What about a sub sandwich on a not fully cut roll?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Here's my most recent no knead loaf.

And the millennial shot:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Needs more bacon.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Been working through FWSY since January and just made my first loaf leavened solely with my home grown levain culture: Pain au Bacon

Probably my best loaf ever. Followed FWSY's instructions for building the levain, except I only used 40% of the listed quantities at every step.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone got a good recipe for easy dinner rolls?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Adventures in malt.

I like the smell, taste, and color the malt adds, but I need to use a bit more water next time, since it made the dough a lot drier than I thought it would.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

10 Beers posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/rapid-rolls-from-kitchen-confidence.html

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

10 Beers posted:

I do challah for soft dinner rolls.