Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm thinking of trying the 5 minute artisan bread technique, and I'm very much a "follow to the T" kind of guy. They use a whisk in their food storage container, but I have a stand mixer and I'd like to take advantage of it.

Could I use the stand mixer for their technique? They don't say how long they have to whisk manually.

If I used the stand mixer with its aluminum mixing bowl, would it work to transfer the dough once mixed into the same kind of storage container they use?

I'm probably over-thinking this, but again, I don't like to stray from instruction when cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm super jealous of your steel countertops.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My first attempt at making bread:

That's the Artisan Bread in 5 method. It turned out fantastic, albeit a tad on the salty side. I added a tablespoon, so next time I'll reduce it by a smidge.

Will be used for lunch today :)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I made my first sandwich loaf using this recipe. It worked, but it turned out really dense - my loaf from an 8.25" pan weighs 2.5 lbs! Where did I do wrong?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Monkahchi posted:

If your bread is over heavy, I would guess that almost certainly you either:

a) Under-baked.
or
b) Under-proved.

Under-baking needn't mean not long enough, it may mean the initial temperature was not high enough, it needs to be about 250c+ initially to get a good spring. Also, are you using a tray of boiling water in the base of the oven to generate steam? this really helps.

That said, looking at the recipe I would guess its under-proving, the Honey will make the dough slow to do anything, I'd recommend proving for at LEAST 2 hours, but I'd probably head towards 3 or 4. Proving is what allows your dough to be airy, get good air bubbles and a consistent crumb.

Try again with a longer proving and the tips around baking (But for no longer as this bread recipe will go bad if over baked!) If you still have this problem, feel free to hit me up for my own standard white loaf recipe.

Thanks. I actually didn't use the boiling water for this loaf. So that's one thing I'll do differently next time.

I think I proofed that loaf for about 1.5 hours. Next loaf will see 4.

Feel free to give me your recipe. I am by no means stuck on any particular one.

mmartinx posted:

Made a bread basket for a dinner party this weekend. 2x NYT no knead, rosemary foccaccia, brioche

I have a shitload of Rosemary growing in our garden. Can you link the recipe you used for your focaccia?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I made several loaves of the Artisan Bread in Five recipe, and the other day I made a loaf of classic sandwich bread from the King Arthur Flour site. There didn't seem to be a huge difference, other than the kneading part, but the crust is so different. What makes the no-knead crust so thick and the sandwich bread crust so thin and light?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I made hamburger buns today for the first time with great success. Only (slight) issue was that the bottom got slightly burned. I cooked them on parchment paper, which I thought would have helped. Any ideas how to prevent this in the future?

I used this recipe called 40 Minute Hamburger Buns. They were super easy. I followed the instructions except for the salt and sugar. I mixed those into the flour before adding to the yeast and oil.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm making no knead bread. I think the bowl I put my dough in for the first countertop rise is too small. It's been rising for about 8 hours. Can I transfer it to a larger container without doing any harm?

Welp nevermind. I went to sleep and when I woke up, I found out my wife found the covered bowl, which I left sitting next to our rice cooker. She thought it was rice and put it in the fridge overnight :(

Edit I'm going to make it anyway to see what happens.

This incident made me think of looking for a quicker recipe and I found the quicker no-knead recipe by Bittman. Does anyone have experience with that one? Is it good?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 19, 2017

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Brass Key posted:

Is that the NYT one? I've made it a couple of times and it's pretty good. I think kneaded bread is overall tastier, though. As for fridge time, don't worry about it. Giving bread an overnight fridge rise can improve the flavor.

Yeah, it's the NYT one. My wife put it into the fridge about nine hours into the initial counter-top rise (it should have been on the counter about 16 hours). It was in the fridge for about six hours before I found it. I set it on the counter and let it get back to room temperature for about 3 hours and then I put it back into the fridge, where it sits now (I will be baking it on Wednesday).

We'll see how it goes. In the meantime, I plan on trying some shorter recipes this week. I like the simplicity of the no-knead bread, but I don't like having to plan ahead like four or five days just to make some bread.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My wife is making pretzels. She had the dough rising in the oven and I didn't so when I turned it on to preheat for dinner. It spent about ten minutes or so in there as the oven got to 350.

Is it likely ruined?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking to make some bruschetta for an upcoming party and I'm thinking of making the bread as well.

I normally make pretty good standard no-knead bread but I was thinking of using ciabatta for this one.

I found this recipe, which uses a sponge. I've never made bread with a sponge before. If I'm using instant yeast, do I need to do anything different than what's instructed?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The sponge is made with instant yeast in the recipe????

And God drat gently caress that site, had to scroll down through so many adds to even see the list.

I honestly don't know anything about using sponges. They said at some point that you can use active or instant yeast.

I actually found a recipe later in my America's Test Kitchen cookbook and I may use it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've started making focaccia on the regular and I don't understand the biga.

Why start with a small amount of dough to preferment? Does the small amount of flour allow more bubbles to form, creating the more open structure in the final product? If so, wouldn't it be a preferable technique for most rustic breads too?