Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

No-knead skillet rosemary focaccia, it turned out really nice.

When I cut into it the crumb seemed to separate a bit from the top - is that because I didn't let it cool enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Splinter posted:

Looks great! What's the recipe?

It's this one, minus olives and pistachios.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I followed this recipe for no-knead bread. The first rise was great, I tightly covered and put it in the fridge, but after ~36h it started to visibly sag, then after 72h it was very collapsed. When I removed it there were conspicuously dry bits and conspicuously wet bits. It then didn't rise any more. Is there a 'too cold' for this sort of thing? This was probably around 4-5C.

Also is there any sort of resource for finding out what went wrong - i.e. "if your dough/loaf does X, it's probably because of Y"? I've watched comparisons of techniques on the Chain Baker youtube channel and whilst they're great, I'm after more of a reference thing.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You probably didn't have the flour gully hydrated.

Does that mean inadequately mixed? Because it was looking perfect before its stay in the fridge. Big and springy.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thank you. What follows might be a bit of a silly question - if my problem is poor mixing, is there any harm in starting a 'no knead' dough in a stand mixer? Not to leave it running to develop the gluten, but just enough to make sure it's thoroughly mixed.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Unsolicited equipment rec: for years I have sneered at dough whisks (AKA Danish dough whisks). I was wrong. They incorporate dough as well as I can do with my hands, while being much easier to clean than my hands. https://www.seriouseats.com/danish-dough-whisk-brodpisker

I have had one for years, having read what I think was an earlier version of that same article! It's what I use to get it started but there comes a point where the amount of dough I'm working with (300g flour as per recipe) just comes up with the whisk when I lift it so I get involved with my hands.

I honestly don't think it was inadequately mixed because it's how I've always done it and it's always turned out alright - the only variable that had changed was its stay in the fridge. I mix the dry ingredients, add the wet and use the dough whisk, leave it 10 minutes, quick fold, another 10 minutes, another fold, and by that point it's relatively uniform seeming. I did the same to a dough which rose overnight and I baked without cold fermenting today - it turned out fine.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 10, 2022

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I feel this loaf turned out better. It's still cooling so I don't yet know how the inside looks. This was a kneaded one, with more attention paid to the proofing temperature - I set it on top of my comms cabinet since it's 24C there.

I also started keeping a bread ledger where I write down what I did and what the results were, so I learn from my mistakes better.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My understanding is a biga is for improving flavour - as such, does it matter if it overproofs?

Edit: The one I made last night had got big and gassy and when I smelled it today it smelled sour. I presume that's a good thing.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 22, 2022

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The loaf looks like a medium roasted coffee bean in the best way.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I did another. This time I did it in a Dutch oven. The spring was a lot better - this was either due to the Dutch oven, or the fact that I folded during proofing as soon as it hit twice the size, aiming to err on the side of early rather than late.

When it came out it was crisp but again as it cooled this faded, the crust wrinkled ever so slightly, and now only the slash is crispy. I've yet to manage to get something nice and crisp. I have now tried Duch oven, a splash of water in a pan at the start of the process, and the method shown in this Kenji video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RUDa0FKplk

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What is too cold for cold fermenting? I made biga from wholemeal flour, rested at ~18C for 24h and it behaved as I'd expect, but then I put it in the fridge at ~4C overnight. This morning it's stiff and dry feeling. This is also the same experience I had when trying to cold ferment a no-knead dough.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

therattle posted:

How was it covered?

Lidded large yoghurt put for the wholemeal biga, plastic wrap across the top of a mixing bowl for the no-knead.

Your question makes me wonder if I'm meant to have them covered such that the covering is touching the dough?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

effika posted:

Dough always gets stiff in the fridge (which is kind of a benefit if you're doing high-hydration-- it's easier to handle), but the "dry feeling" part makes me wonder if you should add more water at the start.

I think it's these two things.

I made the original biga on Friday and refrigerated it from Saturday. I then made another one yesterday which I didn't regrigerate. This morning I compared them and felt the only difference was gas, so I used the older one. I added an extra 10ml of water to the white flour to compensate for the drier feeling of the biga and in the future I will add it to the biga itself.

Here's the result:

The only thing I've yet to figure out is the crisp crust. I did take the advice and let things cool in the oven with the door ajar but honestly that makes the crust even softer from the few times I've tried it.

Edit: This one also wrinkled and softened. But it tastes amazing, by far the most interesting flavour I've achieved.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 23, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Dacap posted:

I do the first bake for 30 mins in a Dutch oven at 500 degrees. Then I take it out, spray it down and cook it directly on the oven rack at 450 for 10 mins, spray it down again, rotate and bake for an additional 10 mins before putting on a rack to cool

So that sounds nearly twice as long as mine is in there for - I do the first 15 minutes in a lidded Dutch oven with an ice cube, then 15 minutes with the lid off.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Ishamael posted:

What is your internal temp at the end?

(For reference, I bake lid-on at 475F for 30 min, then uncovered at 425F for 20 min, and my internal temp is usually around 210-215)

Here is today's:

This was baked at 200C in a cast iron dutch oven with an ice cube added, for 15 mins. Removed the lid, did another 15 mins, removed the loaf and put it on the shelf, another 7 mins - so 37 mins total and the internal temperature at the end was 96C. Straight out of the oven this looks absolutely perfect to me, if it stays crisp (it didn't) I'd change nothing and do this every time.

I'm wondering now if my oven temperature could be higher since I recall seeing that the internal temperature can be a bit lower than that..

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 26, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

null_pointer posted:

How are you guys adding ice cubes into your Dutch oven? You just have huge fuckoff 10 quart pots? Or is there some sort of secret I'm not in on.

When I put the proofed dough in I lower it via parchment paper. I pull up one edge of it and put a cube in. There is very little room because the dough almost fits exactly.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Yes the ice cube was for the crust and the spring, I feel it has helped beyond just the steam from the dough alone. Since I'm doing a loaf every 4 days or so, I'm trying to change one thing at once to help me home in on the bread that I want. The changes I made so far:

- Dutch oven instead of a tray with water in the bottom of the oven
- Biga
- Erring on the side of under-proofed rather than over-proofed
- Ice cube
- Wholemeal biga
- Retarding the biga for 3 days - this and the step before made such a wonderful difference to the flavour
- Longer bake

Next step will be higher temperature.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It is indeed C. I was doing this based off a recipe I saw here, modified bit by bit, and it was more or less working so I hadn't considered doing it for longer/higher. Now I'm comfortable with it I'm happy tweaking.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 27, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This time I did it at 220°C - 15 min lidded, 15 min not, the crust is better - not fully crisp after cooling but moreso. The flavour of the crust is really excellent though, greatly improved by the extra browning.

I want to saw the entire craggy top off and eat just that.

I am greatly enjoying making and eating these breads. I've worked them into my cutting diet and I am always looking forward to new loaf day.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I think my crust issue was that it hadn't been cooked enough. Loaves were coming out light brown, now I'm doing them hotter they're darker and are staying relatively crisp through cooling. Also the flavour of the crust is outstanding.

gently caress I love bread.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have mastered the crispy crust, following suggestions in this thread.

Started in a dutch oven at 230°C with an ice cube and the lid on. Removed the lid after 15 minutes, sprayed with water and left the lid off. Put the loaf on the oven rack after 15 more minutes, sprayed again. Removed after 7 more minutes, by which point it was deep but not dark brown.

Instead of wrinkling and getting soft, the crust cracked into platelets and has remained crisp and very tasty. Now I'm going to focus on how different slashes affect appearance - so far it feels like a deep slash results in the best spring but the least craggy top.

P.S. gently caress I love bread. It's taking all my willpower not to eat the whole thing today.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Ishamael posted:

Yes I do a 16 hr cold ferment in the bannetons, wrapped in a plastic bag. Great development of flavor, and helps the loaf hold a good shape during the initial spring.

That is a beautiful loaf and a classy presentation.

In other news, my last loaf was a bit poo poo because I didn't knead enough and it ended up too dense.

Question - the bigas I have been making are 20% of all the ingredients. Should I be omitting salt from them?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm struggling with scoring lately. I don't know what causes the difference between this:

And this:

I feel as though they were the same recipe and procedure, and as far as I can recall there was virtually no difference in scoring either.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

bolind posted:

Just do what I do and bake several, there's usually one pretty one that can be seen by the public/posted on the 'gram.

My problem with that is I'm just doing it for me. I'm doing one loaf every 3-4 days, that's how long it takes me to get through it, and it's the size of my one dutch oven. It's also proven a slight problem that the amount is slightly too little to be mixed in my KitchenAid - it just sticks to the hook and doesn't really touch the sides. Any more and it wouldn't fit in the dutch oven.

I did score a bit deeper this last time and it did improve the ear (didn't know it was called that).

I'm going to end up talking myself into a bigger pan aren't I.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That is my situation and I had actually seen those, didn't realise they'd be at all better. I may give one a try in that case.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The top is technically better because of no tearing.

I assume you are double batching? Are you ensuring an even weight when splitting?

I'm not, I do one loaf each time - these two are a few weeks apart. I didn't realise the lack of tearing was considered better, I just found the cragginess interesting in terms of texture variation. As I said earlier in the thread, I want to saw the craggy top off and just eat that. And maybe I will.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Power Walrus posted:

I think this looks great! It’s a matter of preference, but the loaves I get from Tartine are too open to spread things on. The butter just falls through the holes!

This is my dilemma. I love the texture of something with an open crumb, it feels more springy and satisfying. It's what I'd prefer for soup, but day to day I'm making sandwiches so it's just not practical.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I presently proof my bread in a place that's ~24C. In the height of summer last year, I don't think there was a place in my home that was <34C. In such a situation, do you just make do and expect it to take far less time? Or does it become actually problematic?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mauser posted:

but how is that a consistent indoor temperature for your place and why would you want to turn on the oven?

I'm in a country where home air conditioning is not normal and there was a week last year where it reached 39C, so no matter how much closing of windows and curtains, inside is going to get intolerably hot. I hadn't considered the oven aspect because I'm an idiot.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Dacap posted:

I use the ice cube trick, and drop it under the parchment that I drop the loaf into the pot with. I also spray down the loaf with water before baking, and before the second bake directly the rack of the oven

I do exactly this, following advice in this thread. It works really well.

I want a bigger dutch oven though. In making ragu bolognese today I had to switch pans.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

He is risen.

Oh, too late, He is overproofed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Power Walrus posted:

I made a 70/30 white/whole einkorn loaf using Ken Forkish’s Overnight White recipe, and modified the hydration down to 72%. Bulk rise was about 12 hours, followed by a short cold proof, about 3 hours.

It’s delicious! I baked them in a Dutch oven and the Challenger iron, adding ice cubes as I loaded them in the oven.

A beautiful pair of bulbous bitches, would eat.